Need opinion on hair grafting (FUT) on 24 yo male

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys.

I'm a 24 y/o male suffering with hairloss. It started when I was about 18/19 and has gradually gotten worse and worse as time has gone on. I'd say i'm currently a "III" on the Norwood scale. I've been using Regaine (5% solution) for the past 3 years and although it seems to be maintaining and regrowing hair on my crown, its not working that well on my badly receding hairline (my worst area at the moment!) Not only that, but the hair that it has grown back is really thick and wirey and isn't the same texture as the rest of my hair....

Anyways, last week I went for a consultation at a local clinic about getting a hair graft (FUT). From the research I've done and the pics I've seen on the internet - it did sound like the perfect answer! The guy that did my consultation said I would get an excellent result from the surgery, but he STRONGLY recommended that I take Dutasteride afterwards, as this would prevent any further hairloss (tho it is a bit pricey - £500/600 per year for the rest of my life!! :shock: ) He also stated that if I were to take Dutasteride, absolutely no more hairloss would occur and it would maintain/improve the hair I already have.

I really don't know what to do for the best.... having the surgery would give me a MAJOR confidence boost, but with me being so young I feel a bit aprehensive about the long term effects and how it's going to look when i'm in my late 30-40's. Should even further hairloss kick in, i doubt I'd be able to have even more surgery (due to the limited 'donor' area) nor would I be able to shave my head due to the visible scars?!?

It's so frustrating.. I came out of the consultation on a high and was 100% adament that I would definitely have the operation, but the more research I do on the internet the more negative things I read about (esp. having the surgery done at such a young age.)

Anyways, just thought i'd seek a bit of guidance/advice from some of the experienced users on this forum....

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Jared.

(PS. for the record i think I will be having about 1000 follicles transplanted..obiviously most (if not all) all of this will be used to restore my hairline.)

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping my thread.... But is there anyone out there that can give me a little bit of feedback - good or bad??

I've spent the past 3/4 days researching on the internet and it's driving me crazy!! The more stuff I read the more confused I become... I'm finding it impossible to draw a conclusion on the surgery, and the medications!!! I just don't know whether to take the (big) risks, or just play safe and let nature take it's course (and lose my hair) :cry: :cry:

I'm happy to upload some pics if that will generate me some more feedback... :)

Jared

giles890

Reaction score
i dont see how he can say by taking dutasteride u will never again have hair loss, seems a bit stupid 2 say that! Just like if i said it to you now, you will no longer have hair loss...load of shiteeee

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
hey jared

no matter how old you are ,you should give the big three a go before you opt for any surgery

they are the Regaine youve been on (try 5% foam)its much better than the liquid
then get on propecia or proscar
and use nizoral 2% shampoo 2-3 days a week

give these treatments at least one year before you do anything else,in reality i would suggest 2 years.

once you have stabilised your hairloss then maybe think about a REPUTABLE hair transplant doctor............some people might advise you a hair transplant isnt best for you but you should post pictures to let people see your degree of hairloss

do NOT get a hair transplant at 24 before trying to stabilise your hairloss with meds

:lol:

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
libertine said:
hey jared

no matter how old you are ,you should give the big three a go before you opt for any surgery

give these treatments at least one year before you do anything else,in reality i would suggest 2 years.

once you have stabilised your hairloss then maybe think about a REPUTABLE hair transplant doctor............some people might advise you a hair transplant isnt best for you but you should post pictures to let people see your degree of hairloss

do NOT get a hair transplant at 24 before trying to stabilise your hairloss with meds

Regarding the meds - from what i've been told they only work on the remaining hair....My worse area for hairloss is at the front and all that hair has completely gone... so I doubt taking the meds will regrow any hair in that area.

I've been using Regaine for about 3 years (switched to the foam about 2 months ago) but that doesn't seem to work on the front either - it does on the top though.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
jared_24 said:
libertine said:
hey jared

Regarding the meds - from what i've been told they only work on the remaining hair....My worse area for hairloss is at the front and all that hair has completely gone... so I doubt taking the meds will regrow any hair in that area.

I've been using Regaine for about 3 years (switched to the foam about 2 months ago) but that doesn't seem to work on the front either - it does on the top though.

propecia will maintain what you have,including any hair at the front,by just using minoxidil you are heading towards major hairloss(if thats the way your genes are coded) ,you want to get hair transplant but you have to listen to people on this board.

GET ON THE BIG THREE AND THEN IN A YEAR TO TWO YEARS SEE WHERE YOUR HAIRLOSS IS AT!!!!!

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even if you get a hair transplant, many doctors will reccomend you get on min and finasteride....

I did hair transplant research, and the surgery pics are gross... so I am taking a pass.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
klink said:
Even if you get a hair transplant, many doctors will reccomend you get on min and finasteride....

I did hair transplant research, and the surgery pics are gross... so I am taking a pass.

No pain, no gain.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
klink said:

yea it does not look pleasant but its not like youll see or feel anything,its all behind you afterall

and i dont think ive seen anyone on these boards who have said they felt any pain during the procedure

and jared,it really seems like you arent listening to us

GET ON MEDS!!! a hair transplant will not fix your problems! you NEED to get on propecia and you NEED to get on minoxidil foam and you NEED to use nizoral 2% 2-3 times a week-meds were only tested on the crown but in some cases can regrow hair at the front as well as maintain.

and the minoxidil that is apparently maintaining your crown will eventually fall prey to dht,so you need to address that with propecia!

:D

s.a.f

Reaction score
There is a bit of pain involved in a hair transplant but its all part of the sacrifice.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride has not worked for me over 6 months and hair continues to recede, it is often stated it is not good for receding hairlines. No guarantees it slows things down just like there isn't with dutasteride.

Get on it though and try to get stable before hair transplant, it reportedly helps prevent shockloss also. Give finasteride 3- 6months and do some more hair transplant research over that period.

hair transplant is a local op and can be done up to 6 times before you run out of donor hair and pain is reported minimal..alot less than other cosmetic ops.. At your age it is very likely HM will be out in next year to few years so even if you go hair transplant you may not have to have further hair transplant's and go HM instead if out and your hair is still losing.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should get on foam first, I don't see it in your regimen.

You are a young guy, you could end up having to get repeated hair transplant's to backfill where the hair recedes.

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
libertine said:
klink said:

yea it does not look pleasant but its not like youll see or feel anything,its all behind you afterall

and i dont think ive seen anyone on these boards who have said they felt any pain during the procedure

and jared,it really seems like you arent listening to us

GET ON MEDS!!! a hair transplant will not fix your problems! you NEED to get on propecia and you NEED to get on minoxidil foam and you NEED to use nizoral 2% 2-3 times a week-meds were only tested on the crown but in some cases can regrow hair at the front as well as maintain.

and the minoxidil that is apparently maintaining your crown will eventually fall prey to dht,so you need to address that with propecia!

:D

Yeah I am listening to you guys - and I really do appreciate the feedback your giving. :)

I spoke to my consultant further yesterday and to be honest - I think he is giving me the answers I want to hear - and NOT the more 'ethical' and realistic answers (if that makes sense?!?) Plus I'm in the UK - from what I've heard hair transplants over here are a lot worse!!

Anyways, I think I might go on the meds for a year or so and see how well I respond to them. Hopefully it will significantly thicken up my hair, thus making my receding hairline less obvious (though I won't hold my breath... :lol: )

Rather than go straight on to propecia, would it be a big NO NO to start taking Avodart (Dutasteride) instead? I've read Avodart is a hell of a lot more effective than propecia and more powerful when it comes to thickening hair up.

Thanks again for all the info guys....
Jared

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dr Rogers is the only hair transplant guy to see in the UK. I'm from UK too and researched a lot, he's a nice guy and not pushy. The best tho are in Canada it seems if you have more money and prepared to travel.

Do just finasteride to start, its easier to keep up than minoxidil and best to do one at a time than big 3 immediately and its cheaper as once you start you are on them for life. I get finasteride and nizoral from inhouse pharmacy. if after 6 months the finasteride is not doing the job then you can consider throwing in the minoxidil. You could of course start the other way around if you are not keen on the drugs. Don't go on dutasteride to start, its stronger, more expensive and not approved and not necessarily more effective.

Hold off on the hair transplant as long as you can..see how you do with the meds first.

G

jared_24 said:
Rather than go straight on to propecia, would it be a big NO NO to start taking Avodart (Dutasteride) instead? I've read Avodart is a hell of a lot more effective than propecia and more powerful when it comes to thickening hair up.

Thanks again for all the info guys....
Jared

i jumped ship to avodart after a month and a half on finasteride bceause i wanted more regrowth and more thickening than finasteride could provide. finasteride is not a bad drug but i don't regret making the switch because i've had subtsantial regrowth from avodart. it generally regrows more hair and provides better maintenance of your existing hair as well.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Dont get a hair transplant in the UK (ever)!
If you're not prepared to travel to the U.S or Canada forget about hair transplant's.
Trust me I learned this the hard way. :(

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
i jumped ship to avodart after a month and a half on finasteride bceause i wanted more regrowth and more thickening than finasteride could provide. finasteride is not a bad drug but i don't regret making the switch because i've had subtsantial regrowth from avodart. it generally regrows more hair and provides better maintenance of your existing hair as well.

Sounds like the Avodart route is really working well for you.... :)

just a couple of questions -
1. How long have you been taking it?
2. have you experienced any bad side effects so far?
3. Where are you buying it from / how much do you pay for it?

I spoke with my GP this morning and he was very anti Propercia and dutasteride and advised me not to take them due to the hormonal changes it does to your body. I'm still going to go for it though - I'll try it for about 6-12 months or so and see how well I respond to it.

Only problem now is trying to find a regular supplier of dutasteride. There's no way my GP will prescribe it for me..... buying it online does seem a bit risky (and expensive - £75 / $148 for a 30 day supply!)

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
saf.

Please enlighten us with your hair transplant experience and who it was with.

Dr Rogers has good reputation and comes on these boards so I feel is a serious option for those that will not travel.

The only other that has any reputation is Farjo and nowhere near as good.

The rest have no reputation and are just newspaper fodder.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I made mistakes going to both Norton and Nobel :eek: :oops: :( :-x . (Yeah I know I was naieve and uneducated but I trusted the ads and the fact that they are both established clinics (15+ yrs of ruining peoples lives). Both these places should have been shut down years ago.
I eventually went for repair work with Dr Feller in the U.S, and am planning to go back for another final procedure.

All UK surgeons are butchers with the exception of Rogers. Farjo are also total crap, go on the mainly British site stophairlossnow.com and you'll find examples of Farjo patients given out of date dolls hair type hair transplant's in recent years.

As for Rogers, just because he does'nt butcher your head it does'nt mean that he's a great surgeon, he is'nt.
His abilities are only half that of the best that the U.S and Canada have to offer. He can only perform small sessions of about 1000-2500max (thats strip), places like Armani, Hassan and wong and Feller will offer 5000+)and his results are not as good as the top well known docs.
Nothing against Rogers he's a good bloke and is one of the few surgeons who will post on forums but when you're talking about hair transplant's as I found out the hard way its not like getting a haircut, dont settle for average or poor results. If you're not prepared to make the small sacrifice of travelling dont go down the hair transplant route.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks saf,

Not so good you had bad experience but good to hear Feller is sorting it though, he has good reputation and results I have seen.

I know what you mean about Rogers. he has a good reputation and results are o.k. but hairlines and dense packing I agree propably not near the Feller/Armani but he has not pics to prove or disprove. There is limitation on number of grafts but then I was not planning on a big session as its only my hairline first inch, still it is the most important area to get right tho.

Farjo does compromise doing 2 ops a day instead of 1 and letting nurses do lots of the work. I'm not over impressed with his latest celebs - The rugby guy and Duncan Ballentine...they still have a very patchy look. If your gonna get it fixed you want to look really good after spending all that cash and going through the effort.

Good luck with your next hair transplant session, who knows we may hear about HM soon. I'm gonna keep thinking, was considering going to that Armani consult in London to at least get opionin/quote as the only Dr i've seen is Rogers so far for consult.