Need Opinion: 19y.o, Bad Genetics And Shedding

Kamigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong topic folder, I will delete in case it is.

I really need help as I'm still very young and I would like to try my best to keep my hair for at least a couple more years.

I am currently just 19 years old, and I've noticed a heavy shedding all over my head during the past month. In only one month, my hair suddenly started falling out at alarming rate and I've lost a lot of density over the last weeks. Everytime I shower, i lose around 70 to 80 hair, and whenever I stroke my hand in my hair there's always around 4 or 5 that fall while before nothing would fall out. It's hard to really keep track of the total hair that's falling out everyday but it would probably be around 200 to 230.

I wouldn't be too anxious about it if it wasn't for the hair situation of my parents: my father started balding at 20 y.o and is now Norwood 6-7 in his 50's, same for my grandfather on my father's side.
I've always had a bad, M shaped hairline for as long as I can remember but never any noticeable hair fall until a month ago

I added many pictures taken this week (I've had an haircut) so that you guys can share your knowledge and recommend me what to do next.

Another issue is that I am currently working in Japan until March, and thus because of language barrier and difference in the type of hair (I'm Caucasian), it's very hard to see a dermatologist at the moment. (Another info, I have checked, and minoxidil is sold over the counter here in Japan as well in case you guys think it's the way to go.)

It is mentally very hard and exhausting to keep losing hair for me, many times it keeps me awake at night and makes me extremely insecure (I deal with a lot of other insecurities that add up with that). My hair was one of the very few things I was happy about and it just mentally breaks me apart to see it falling all of a sudden..

What is your opinion? Am I just losing hair as a result of Telogen Effluvium? Am i overreacting ? Is this actual balding happening? If yes, should I start taking Minoxidil?

Thank you in advance, I hope some of you will find the time to answer me !
And sorry if I'm just over reacting!
Screenshot_20190820-011107.jpg
Screenshot_20190820-011150.jpg
Screenshot_20190820-010758.jpg
Screenshot_20190820-010835.jpg
Screenshot_20190820-011415.jpg
Screenshot_20190820-011035.jpg
Screenshot_20190820-011205.jpg

ScienceofHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
male pattern baldness is possible but it sounds like Telogen Effluvium.

Give it 6-12 months to get better before considering hair meds, which will make the Telogen Effluvium much, much worse.

Also visit your gp to inform them and get tested for potential causes of Telogen Effluvium (thyroid, vitamin deficiencies) and see what they have to say.

Kamigami

My Regimen
Reaction score
male pattern baldness is possible but it sounds like Telogen Effluvium.

Give it 6-12 months to get better before considering hair meds, which will make the Telogen Effluvium much, much worse.

Also visit your gp to inform them and get tested for potential causes of Telogen Effluvium (thyroid, vitamin deficiencies) and see what they have to say.

Hello ScienceofHair,

Thank you very much for your answer. I'll wait 6-12 months and see the progress of the hair fall.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Microneedling.