Need Help Getting Started With A Full Cap

blendingin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, after lurking for a while I'm looking to get a full cap hair system. It may sound blasphemous, but the problem is I have hair. I technically have a full head of hair. I'd like to just get ahead and get hair as it is receding and don't want to bother with the color matching and what not. I emailed a few places, but they won't do a template as they feel they can't do it with hair and I don't want to shave my head and have no hair for a couple of months as I wait for it to arrive.

Can I just get a short hair cut and gel the hair down to make the template? Or if I wore a swim cap over my hair? I was thinking doing the got2b gel method and doing a daily attach and removal. How short can I cut a full cap? Is a high fade possible? I understand perhaps a topper may be better but I'd rather not be stuck seeing the ring when I take it off and rather be staring at a slick bald head. Can I make a template, order one and walk into a regular barber shop to get it styled? Would certain places be able to make the hair piece and cut it to a style if I sent them pictures? Does anyone know of a good place in NYC to help with the process? Thank you for your help.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
So wait...you have pretty much a full head of hair with maybe the beginnings of recession and you want advice on a full cap system? Forgive me for saying so, but that strikes me as a massive and unnecessary over-reaction. I don't know how much recession you actually have, but it sounds as though the vast majority of your existing hair is not an issue for you. If that's the case, it makes little sense to dump it.

In order:
--Yes, you can do a template with your hair still on your head. As long as you can see the recession and/or the part you want the system to replace, there'd be no reason to shave anything off 2 months prior to your unit arriving.
--Got2B does not work for everyone (including me)--it depends on your body chemistry. Just pointing up that you might not want to depend on it.
--Not that short and no, fade haircuts aren't possible.
--I dislike seeing the ring myself, but you get used to it.
--I doubt a regular barber or stylist would want to work on it unless they had experience with full wigs.

Noah

Reaction score
I couldn’t really recommend what you are proposing to do. I think you are underestimating the nuisance value of looking after the system and getting the look you want from it. It’s only worth the fuss if you are actually balding, and toppers give a far better result than full caps.

But yes, you can make a template by just slicking your hair down with hair gel and putting the Clingfilm/Saranwrap over it. It is worth telling your chosen supplier that the template was made over a lot of hair, so you want the cap made slightly tighter than the template. The base materials have a bit of ‘give’ in them, so fit is not usually a problem.

All the full caps I have seen are fairly shaggy - say 2 inches of hair at least, so I don’t think a high fade would be possible.

Cutting in a full cap is in principle exactly the same as a regular haircut except that (1) you can’t afford to get it wrong, (2) you don’t want to cut it so short that the base shows, and (3) you (presumably) want a more ‘lived in’ look than you usually get when you come away from the barbers, ie you don’t to look perpetually like you just had a haircut. However, because of (1) most barbers are not keen on cutting in hairpieces in my experience. You will probably have more luck in an upmarket unisex hair salon.

I will PM some idea on places in NYC.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hahahaha... I have little to add onto what @Noah and @NYCHairGuy have already said.

The ONLY full cap systems that I have seen (here, other forums and Youtube) that look realistic are those who have medium to long hair, and wavy to curly.

The worst part of them seems to be at the nape, where they tend to stick out.

All in all, a really TERRIBLE idea!

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I pray everyday I will not go the full cap route. My natural hair is very fine but not horrible. My system looks it's best with a fade though .

Seriously dude my advice to you is enjoy they hair you have now and go the topper route when the time comes .