Need Help Buying A Piece Online For The First Time

sibbc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, I have been wearing for a while, but my supplier only supplies pieces with to much density. So I have decided to try and order online. So far I have been looking at toplace, which looks good. But I dont want to send a template. I want to experiment with the placement, especially at the temples, how curved it should be. So figured I can just cut it myself, is that a dumb idea?

Anyways on their site the have a A, AA and BB front curvature, and they dont have any photos to illustrate what that looks like, I have no idea. Does anyone know this?

Also. do any of you have experience with trying different densitys from them? my temples are quite thin, not sure if I should go for the lowest density or second lowest.

Thank you.

Noah

Reaction score
IMG_7442.PNG

Hi Sibbc

You only need a template if you are ordering a custom piece. Provided you have a hair colour and texture in the standard range you can buy a stock (ready-made) piece and cut it down to size yourself. That is basically what many salons do.

However, on a decent hair system the hairs at the front are graduated. That means that the density is low at the very front, and increases up to your chosen density as you go back from the hairline. That graduated density effect is important for getting a natural look, so it is best not to cut off the factory hairline. That means you really need to order the hairline shape you want from the start. I am attaching a chart which shows what the names mean.

I will PM on the density issue.

Noah

Sam18

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Sibbc.

See below for the curvature grades. For density, I would opt for 80% and get it thinned out later if required. You can make them a bit thinner, you can't really make them a bit thicker easily. Hard to say without a photo of your current hair, can you upload one and blur out your face? There will be people here much smarter than me who can advise you. Noah in particular is like an encyclopaedia of this stuff.

Why don't you want to make a template? My understanding is that they will always be better because the hairline will be custom to you. If you get a graduated hairline and start cutting into it to change the shape then this may not be possible. If a hairline is graduated, it will always look more realistic as far as I understand.

Good luck and post the results when you get it done if you can!

front-contour-shape.jpg

sibbc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, I think I have to make a template. My thought process was that if I make a template myself Im just guessing where it would look best to start the system in the sides (temple), front and back measurements is no problem. So I thought Id experiment with starting as low as possible, then gradually cutting it to find the perfect look for me. But I did not consider the fact that the hairs in the front are graduated, cause they are not on my current system. Atleast it doesnt look like it.

uploaded the only decent picture of hairline I have atm. This is with the current system with no graduated hairline and way to much hair

Attachments

• f1h1.png
    f1h1.png
    386 KB · Views: 260

Noah

Reaction score
You can do the opposite - move the hairline up and down, and when you get the perfect position that you like, then trim the back and sides of the piece to fit. But you can't really alter the contour of the front hairline if you want to keep the graduation.