Need Advice About My Girlfriend's Hairloss

chain

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am personally a sufferer of male pattern baldness, which I have been fighting with for the last 3 years. In February 2009 I met my gorgeous girlfrined. Everything is great, we are both in love and for about a month we moved to live together.
Anyway, her hairloss started at the beginning of the summer. The loss was pretty severe. Hairs everywhere on the pillows, in my car in the bathroom, while she is drying her hair I can notice 30-40 hairs coming off.

A little more details. When our sexual life began she noticed that her period was coming earlier and earlier every month. Furtermore, she felt a pain in her ovary. We both went to a specialized doctor who, after examination said that everything is normal but she is producing more ovums than normal.

At the beginning of the autumn her hairloss was becoming noticable. I would have to say that when I met her shed had a gorgeous full thick amazing hair.

What I noticed and believe that is conncted with the hairloss that her body hair has significantly increased. Dark hairs a little above her waist showed up. Those I have never seen before and generally I started examining closer and could find out more hairs in total all over her body. One day she also told me that she is epilatng herself more often that before.

So far she has never said anything about her problem, neither do I. However, I feel that she is getting more insecure, does not go out that often with friend, even though that she pretends that there is no a problem at all. I know what she feels because I personally am a sefferer of male pattern baldness and would like to help her out.

I beleive that she has some problems with the hormones, having in mind her disturbed period + the increase of body hair. Is her condition a classical FPB, caused by DHT? What treatments exist for FPB, if that is her case?
How can I help her?

Reaction score
Hi friend,

First, you need to remain supportive of your gf. This must be difficult for her self-esteem. So, as she understood what you have been dealing with, you have to understand what she is dealing with. This also means trying to boost her self-esteem as often and in many ways that you can.

Second, you might want to try another forum dedicated to Women's hair loss:

http://www.heralopecia.com/interact/

There you can probably find out more about the causes of women's hair loss specifically, which can be much more complicated than men's hair loss.

I doubt your girlfriend is suffering from typical male pattern baldness. It is happening too quickly. She needs to see a doctor who can run blood tests on her for things like anemia (caused by low iron), thryoid problems, etc.

From your post, it doesn't sound like English is your first language. Which country are you from? Do you have good doctors there who can check for these things?

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, be supportive and let her know you want to help her with this. She should go to an endocrinologist and get her hormones tested.

Do some research on Pueraria Mirifica. It's a herb that is very similar in structure and function to Estriol, the good estrogen. It's also very safe and has no adverse effects on the liver or kidneys. If her loss is androgen related, then PM will most likely reverse it.

You can buy it at ainterol herbs for a very reasonable price. http://www.ainterolherbs.com/femaleenha ... -1_17.html

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a possible hormonal imbalance, off to a better doctor!

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
Some birth control pills changes the hormonal balance and can cause a woman to lose a lot of hair. After the pills are stopped the hair goes back to normal. But she should definitely see a good doctor soon.

southerndrawl

Reaction score
You guys just started living together, so you really don't know what the "norm" is with her shedding. Also women have long hair, so even a few hairs looks like alot, her period can be affected by anything from stress, birth control, change in diet, to excercise. And her darker body hair could be from instant tanner or bronzer dying the peach fuzz. I know the latter was true with my girlfriend. we even made jokes about it. At the end of the day though female hairloss is not very common and VERY rare in young women. My own experience with my girlfriend is that she would clogg the drains with her hair, also she dyes her hair alot and this would cause breaks and so would brushing. She is in no way balding though!! I'm telling you I just think that now you are living with her you are just noticing it more but it is completely normal.

chain

Reaction score
Hi guys. I organized homronal test for my girlfriend.
She has tested all androgen hormones and everthing was in norm except for the DHT. It was much lower 111, when the norm is 250-1000

It is very strange for me.

She definety has increase in her body hair.
She is definetely losing hair.

Why it could that be??

Hoppi

Reaction score
How very strange, I would be suspecting DHT or testosterone to be high... possibly low estrogen.

I really don't understand how all those hormones can be spot on and her still to be noticing such changes in her hair o_O

The follicles surely will be reacting to either testosterone or DHT...

chain

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
How very strange, I would be suspecting DHT or testosterone to be high... possibly low estrogen.

I really don't understand how all those hormones can be spot on and her still to be noticing such changes in her hair o_O

The follicles surely will be reacting to either testosterone or DHT...

Would you please elaborate. I did not really undersand what was your point.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Any ideas Bryan? :dunno:

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Any ideas Bryan? :dunno:
Make some spelling errors or post a typical british term, otherwise he won't show up.

Hoppi

Reaction score
chain said:
Would you please elaborate. I did not really undersand what was your point.
Well, its usually testosterone or DHT levels which encourage the body hair follicles to grow and the scalp hair follicles to die. This is why it happens to males, and not usually to women as their levels of these hormones are much lower while their level of estrogen is much higher. I would therefore suspect some kind of imbalance across these 3 hormones. SHBG levels could be low, or perhaps too much T/DHT is being produced in the first place. The follicles could also just be very sensitive to the normal hormonal levels, but I dunno I doubt it, I would say that its more likely to be a hormonal fluctuation.

This is just my opinion though :)

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
hey my girl was losing hair too a while back. of course we are both narcicists or however its spelled ppl obsessed with our look so to speak, anyways it helps not to be afraid to talk about these things, the second she noticed hairs shedding she freaked out and i didnt really notice until i really examined her hairline closely and it appeared to be diffusing. anyways i watered her with rogaine 2 percent twice daily and gave her 600mg of biotin... let me just say that her results were amazing!! she regrew all her hair and more within 6 months it was ridiculous..... i came to the conclusion that it was either due to the birth control or anti depressants she was on that being said i took her off all anti depressant meds and i made sure she was taking her birth control religiously the same time daily and like i said amazing results, she has hair like down her forehead lol the rogaine was so effective at growing the mini hairs where i applied it i prolly coulda brought her back from a nw7!! anyways i hope this helps! good luck

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
If your girlfriend lost hair because of those medication she been taking and she stops the medication - she'll grow her hair back, Rogaine would just make it grow faster.. So now she can stop applying minoxidil and she'll be fine. But fighting male pattern baldness with minoxidil is not a good treatment.

Hoppi

Reaction score
let-it-grow said:
If your girlfriend lost hair because of those medication she been taking and she stops the medication - she'll grow her hair back, Rogaine would just make it grow faster.. So now she can stop applying minoxidil and she'll be fine. But fighting male pattern baldness with minoxidil is not a good treatment.

hehe yay finally we agree on something! lol :)