NBA

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree, Gardener. Let the guys play. So many guys on both sides were in foul trouble all night over tick-tack stuff - although I think Kobe would've had to hit someone with a crowbar to foul out of that game.

I think the NBA has become so scared of a hard foul or a brawl of some sort, that they over-officiate these games. Remember when McHale clotheslined Kurt Rambis in the 80s and almost ripped his head off - do you know what Rambis got for that? Two shots. That's it. Today, McHale would be suspended. Basketball is a physical game, so these guys need to be allowed to play physical. There were a couple of fouls on both KG and Kobe that were ridiculous...although KG was so bad that I wanted him to foul out so either Rasheed or Davis could come in. Never thought I'd say that, but Garnett has been a shell of himself.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I just think that the over-reffing interupted the flow of the game too much. And, I say this purely as a fan. There was a stretch during the third and fourth quarters where both teams were playing mind blowing basketball, so much fun to watch... and I just felt like the refs weren't letting it flow! It's like listening to a great piece of music, and some asshat keeps hitting the pause button every few seconds.

As for last night... Waaaay too much Ray Allen... ugh. That hurts. And Lamar Odom is still MIA.

Looks like the pressure has shifted onto the Lakers' backs. They're going to have to win AT LEAST one game in Boston, and that won't be an easy task.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
We've got ourselves a series now. That was a great game last night. The referees let them play, which I think favors the Celtics physical style of play a little more, so that was definitely an advantage. Celtics absolutely have to win game 5 - very doubtful that they can take 2 games in LA. If they win game 5, though, I think they can carry the momentum and take game 6. Althought I think this one is going 7, which will be a phenomenal game to watch. GO CELTICS!!!

The Gardener

Reaction score
EasyEd, here's my prediction....

I KNOW this Lakers squad and I know how they are mentally wired. They are going to lose game 6. Book it. ESPECIALLY if they win today. Don't ask me how or why, its just how they roll. They'll come home, be back on the friendly court, and they will lose their focus and take their foot off the gas.

So... they really need to win today and I don't see any reason why they can't win in Boston if they bring their A game. If they win, then they will lose game 6, and then we will have an epic game 7 for the ages, which I think we win, on our home court, because the Lakers won't drop two games in a row at home. If they lose today, then I think the chances of them winning game 6 go up a bit more, but I think the odds turn significantly against us.

So... either Lakers in 7, or Celts in 6. Today's game is HUGE. GO LAKE SHOW!... and, I am tuning into it right now....

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope you’re right, Gardener – but I think this thing’s going 7. I expect the game to be called a little tighter in game 6, which favors LA. The “let them playâ€￾ style of the past 2 games favors the Celtics, who play a more physical brand of basketball. I do hope the Celtics come out and make a lot of shots and win game 6, though - that would be awesome. To be honest, I question the Lakers mental toughness (other than Kobe), and if the Celtics can back them up against the wall early, they have a great chance to win.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Wow... last night was like watching the 2008 Lakers all over again.

The Lakers are a much tougher squad than what they displayed last night. It was pretty much just a bad game by quite a few of the guys... Artest was horrible. I swear he was caught daydreaming a half dozen times on D last night. That won't happen twice.

Game 6 is your best chance... because unfortunately I think they are at risk of dialing down the intensity a notch on that first game at home. I think if they pull out game 6, then they'll take it in 7.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Gardener, honestly, I don’t think the Lakers are much tougher than that. This is what I was talking about when I said the Celtics are too physical and the Lakers are soft. I agree that a few guys didn’t play well, but the team doesn’t have the mental fortitude to rise about it. Gasol displayed some toughness in game 1, but things were going in their favor and were looking up. The measure of toughness is taken when things aren’t going well. Gasol has looked extremely rattled and frustrated the past few games, which is who he truly is. Sure he can bang inside with anyone, but how does he respond when the Lakers are down 10 and all over him defensively – looked a little shaken to me.

Anyway, this thing is FAR from over. If the Lakers win game 6, then the stage is set for an epic game 7 battle, where anything can happen. My hope is that the Celtics get ahead in the third quarter, because it seems as though when that happens, the rest of the Lakers defer to Kobe and he has to do everything, which is exactly what the Celtics want to happen. It’s going to be tough to eliminate this LA team, though – I have to assume Kobe will bring everything he’s got, and will demand the same from his teammates. I am resting my hope on this little fact – the starting 5 of Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG and Perkins have never lost a playoff series.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My prediction of the Celtics in 6 is right on track.

Thank God that the refs stopped OVER officiating the games. Those first 3 games were a disgrace...to both teams. As Gardener said, let them play.

Cant wait for game 6. Celtics look like they have the Lakers figured out to a certain extent. Their defense is like Alcatraz.

The Gardener

Reaction score
blaze said:
Cant wait for game 6. Celtics look like they have the Lakers figured out to a certain extent.
orly.png

The Gardener

Reaction score
Lakers.

Celtics.

Game 7.

And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats to you and your Lakers, Gardener. They truly played their guts out and refused to lose. Looks like I'll be changing my avatar to Kobe.

The Gardener

Reaction score
LOL... that's got to be one of the most unusual, and ugliest games I've ever seen. But the result is so sweet.

Ron Artest finally earns his paycheck, and earned it HUGE.

As for the Celts, despite the loss, I've got to tip my hat to Doctor Rivers. I've admired him as a coach throughout the playoffs, and the guy is a hell of a coach. It would be sad to see him go.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
The NBA manufactured that celtics/lakers final and the fact it went to 7 games. They lost 400 million last year and they are desperate.