NBA

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Gardener, you ready for the Celtics to lay the smack to the Lakers again??

:punk:

The Gardener

Reaction score
Oh, not so fast, my friend. You're dealing with a completely different animal this year.

I will admit this... from watching the series, I really admire Doctor Rivers. He's a hell of a coach. It's not often that coaching makes such a difference in a game or series to the point where I notice it, but, in the case of this series and the last Celtics series against the Cavs, it REALLY showed. He TOTALLY outcoached Mike Brown. And he's outcoaching Van Gundy as well.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Doctor's been great. It just seems like the players finally now trust him and trust the system, and he's just motivating them along the way. I hate to look ahead, but I have no doubt that it will be a Lakers-Celtics final.

And of course I'm bias and am favoring my beloved Celtics here, but I think Boston will win again. Their defense looks awesome, and I think LA has no answer for Rondo.

TA45

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep, watch for a Celtics Lakers championship!! I hear Kobe is getting beat up a little these days so you never know what can happen?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Lakers in 6.

Rondo better hit all his jump shots because the Lakers will own the paint with our array of seven footers. I agree that small quick point guards give the Lakers fits, but we still have put the hurt down on them.

The Lakers have too many tall and versatile players. You want to run the half court game and post up? Fine, Lakers counter with the twin towers inside. Want to play run and gun? Fine as well, as we are now seeing with the Suns. In 2008 the Celts out-grinded the Lakers, that won't happen this year. Gone are the European softies, Radmanovic is gone, Vujacic is riding the pine... THIS year you'll be facing Bynum and Artest, and a Gasol whose game has dramatically expanded this season, as well as the quickness of Shannon Brown, and a Jordan Farmar off the bench who is knocking down threes... new facets and depth to the Lakers game that weren't there in 2008. I think that the only way the Celts beat the Lakers this year is if they go off with their outside shooting, because the Celts won't beat the Lakers inside. Too many tall guys with long arms and high basketball IQs for you to contend with. And, on top of that, the Lakers will have home court advantage... and a series like this might very well come down to just that.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Easy Ed!

Been a while. dont know if you remember me or not. We talked ball and gambling a couple years back now.

Hows it all going? still off the punting?

I am a big fan of this celtics team and have been since the emergence of the big 3 now the big 4. I dont live in the states so I have no territorial allegiance. I just follow certain players and their teams. Loved it when the Celtics spanked Kobe and co. back in 2008.

People seem to forget that Boston took last years Eastern Conference Champs to 7 and were up 3-2 at one stage with NO KG! Boston didnt have a chance to defend without KG. Back then before the knee injury he was their most important player. Take any teams most important player out and see what happens. Certainly not "amazing happens" like the NBA says.

C's look the goods. I cant wait to see LA vs Boston II. HATE LA and always have.

I just watched a 9 part YouTube series some guy made on the corrupt umpiring from back in 2002 in the Laker V Kings series. Man that was a disgrace. The Kings should have rings and the Lakers never should have 3-peated. I was big fan of that deep Kings team.

PS. Howard is a dirty *** player. Im loving the Magic getting owned.

Nene

Reaction score
I'm from New York so I hate all Boston teams, but I also don't like cheering for teams that already have a gazillion rings this decade alone, so it's hard to cheer for LA. I am a big fan of Rondo, but I think LA takes it again this year. Too many weapons, too many big men, Bynum, Gasol, Odom can handle a less than 100% KG and Perkins... Kobe can shut down Rondo and Artest can shut down Pierce. Boston has really impressed me this year I have to say, NO ONE saw this coming. I for one was sure that Cleveland would take care of them. Speaking of Cleveland, what are everyone's thoughts on Lebron's future team?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Before the semifinals, I thought for sure LeBron would be staying. But, after that performance, I think he's gone.

I, personally, think the Nets are a good fit for him. The Nets are in the NYC metropolis media market, they have salary cap space, a good young roster, a relatively high draft pick, a Russian oligarch owner, and a potential move to a new arena in Brooklyn. I think that pretty much checks off all of LeBron's boxes...

Nene

Reaction score
NJ def has a lot of potential with young guns like Harris and Lopez, cap space and draft picks. Plus the potential move to BK must make it tempting for Lebron. However, if his first priority is to win a championship ASAP, I think he's better off in Chicago with Rose, Noah, Deng and Heinrich. With Lebron I think they may very well win a championship within one or two years.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Blaze, I do remember you – things are well. Hopefully things are well with you as well. I too hate the Lakers and love rooting against them, but I appreciate a good team when I see one, and they’re very good. Anyway…

I think there is no way Lebron goes to NJ – bottom line, they suck. Despite the criticisms on Lebron, his top priority is winning, and after these past few seasons, he is in a rush to win. I think the “big market†thing is a little overblown also. It’s not 1950s anymore where Mickey Mantle and Dimaggio are the huge stars because they’re in NY – this day and age, Lebron is just as big of a superstar in Cleveland as he is in NY, with just as much fanfare, publicity, and fame. I think he stays in Cleveland, or goes to Chicago. Cleveland for the dynasty to finish out what he started – Chicago to win, as a nucleus of him, Rose and Noah would be excellent.

Now to the NBA playoffs. First, clearly I think we were a little premature. The Celtics still have to fight it out with Orlando, and the Lakers are probably in a 7 game series with Phoenix, but I do expect the finals to be Boston vs LA. After that, there is no way that the Lakers beat Boston – no way. Gardener, I know you’re a fan of sports and should know this very well – Defense wins championships. With these two teams, it’ll be that simple. The Celtics are great on both ends of the floor. The Lakers are great on offense, but not at all on D, as Phoenix is currently exposing. The Celtics buckle down on D and give the Lakers soft big guys absolute fits. I was there in 2008 when they owned the Lakers, pushed them around, made Kobe work like a dog on both ends of the court, and completely out-schemed them.

Gardener, friendly wager - will you use a picture of Rondo of my choice as your avatar if the Celtics win it? I’ll gladly do the same with whatever Laker player you choose.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m not legitimately worried about the Celtics. I am never one to blame refs and think the Celtics would’ve lost last night no matter what, but the ejection of Perkins was ridiculous. If he’s suspended for game 6, that’ll be a travesty.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep, garbage techs from the ref. Both of them.

The powers that be will look at them and I suspect they both will be wiped of his record. He should be free to play.

But man was game 5 strange. Like the basketball gods didnt wont Boston to win. Magic draining 3's from everywhere and anywhere. BS fouls on Boston from the get go. Big Baby getting KO'd almost. Perkins getting tossed for sweet fk all.

I expect the Celtics to really play their best D in Game 6 and shut down the Magic's shooters. I dont think they will shoot the lights out 2 games in a row and at Boston no less too, against a very stingy defense.

PS. I hate Dwight Howard. He is a dirty player.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree – I think the Celtics will close it out in game 6, but it will be VERY tough. The NBA just took away one of Perkins’ technical fouls, so he’ll be good to go, which is good because who knows what kind of shape Davis will be in after his concussion. The Celtics big guys have to play tough on D, and the playmakers (Rondo, Allen, Pierce) have to…well…make plays.

That having been said, I actually like the way Howard’s been playing. He’s playing like a big bully, which is what he should do. He’s finally starting to be a big physical guy, and I like it. I don’t like that he’s pushing the Celtics players around – but if I’m a Magic fan, I love it.

The Gardener

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
After that, there is no way that the Lakers beat Boston – no way. Gardener, I know you’re a fan of sports and should know this very well – Defense wins championships. With these two teams, it’ll be that simple.
Bollocks. There have been plenty of offense-oriented teams who have hoisted the O'Brien over more defensive minded squads. All of those Spurs squads wins during the last decade over bigger Eastern teams disprove this, as well as the Rockets' win over an Orlando squad that had a young and dominant Shaq tending the paint.

I think it's about poise under pressure, championships are won by teams who are able to maintain poise under pressure over an extended seven game series. I think championships are won by teams who have championship-experienced athletes on the squad. Now, I think both the Lakers and the Celtics have this quality, but the Lakers will gut this out because gutting things out, on a consistent basis, is how they are wired to roll and they've been doing it all season. The Lakers bend but never break. For instance, I know that the Celtics have had injury issues with Garnett, etc... and your regular season record suffered. Well, the Lakers have had some very serious injury issues as well, our center Bynum was practically out for a third of the season, Kobe's had irritating injuries all year, Gasol's had some serious time out with his hammy... yet we never let these injuries cause the overall play of the squad to slide as badly as the Celtics have with their injuries. This is a tough and gritty team, this is NOT your 2008 Lakers squad. Now, sure, they have been inconsistent, but frankly speaking, when they are on they are unstoppable. Just too many weapons for opponents to contain. And, frankly speaking, as someone who has watched the Lakers play all season, when this team gets motivated and pissed off, they can play some very hard core lock down defense.

When the Lakers win the finals, here's your avatar for a week... LOL... cheers, EasyEd! I actually don't think that Kobe is the MVP on the team anymore (the most important cog in the Lakers offense is now Pau Gasol, who has developed on this squad into a force of nature), but I will relish your avatar indulging in the glory of winged Kobelisciousleness...

aug282007_kobe.jpg

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
What a game last night, huh? It’s pretty wild – with how skilled and athletic these guys are and all of the preparation they put in, it usually comes down to the simple things like boxing out.

Anyway, I’m terrified about tonight’s Celtics game – hopefully the Celts close this thing out, but Orlando is playing with a lot of confidence right now.

Anyway, Gardener, you’re on – here’s your avatar picture for the future:

c99c0edc77ad4d348dd022134cb180d3.jpg

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well its on boys and girls!

Lake Show V C's.

Looks like Nate Dog Robinson has come to join the party too. Played a great game in that closer. He will have earned Docs trust for his controlled, selective aggression. He didnt look like the loose cannon from his NY days.

The C's needed that extra scorer and they got it. Eddie House made some big shots for them during his tenure, its about Nate got some court time as he was seem as an upgrade. He is not the pure shooter House is but he has more strings to his offensive bow than does House. Better defnder too. He'll be a massive spark off the bench for them.

Celtics in 6!

BEAT L.A!

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Dominant performance by the Lakers. I don’t know if the Celtics were awful or the Lakers were great, but the Celtics didn’t have a chance. I think you’re right – this is a different animal that the Celtics are dealing with. I think the Celtics can still play WAY better and win this series, but they’ll have to bring their A game to do so. Kobe isn’t f*cking around.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Well.... that was one hell of a way to kick off a championship series! They say that the first game "sets the tone", and as the home team for this first game of the series, the Lakers "set the tone" by giving the Celts a punch in the mouth.

I love it. I know the Celts will respond in kind, and I think it will make for some awesome and epic basketball to watch in the weeks ahead... I hope it's hard nosed 1980's style basketball, the kind of epic BBall war that makes you want to cue up Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" from the Rocky movies on the computer for some appropriate 80's style accompanying music.

I think the Celtics can still play WAY better
I don't doubt that a bit. To use the tennis comparison, when push comes to shove, all that the Lakers did in game 1 was hold serve. No more, no less. But, I do think that a lot of the stereotypes that the East Coast press have of the Lakers going into this series are dead wrong. In the Lakers, you're facing an opponent that is just as talented, and every bit as willing and able to gut out wins than the Celts are... if not MORE so... depending on how the comparative intestinal fortitude pans out on the court.

What's up with KG? He looked terrible... he looked lost and perplexed. I hope it is some short term thing... maybe he was out partying the night before with the "hidden in the Staples Center roof panel cash" and was hungover or something, because if Game 1 is any indication of how KG is going to perform this series, I'll adjust my prediction from Lakers in 6 to Lakers in 5. That being said, LO didn't play his cards right either... I don't think Lamar Odom will be held to 5 points again for any other game this series.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Posting this in the midst of Game 2...

Waaaay too many whistles. Going BOTH ways.

This is GREAT basketball and the refs are ruining it. Let them play.

The officiating is horrible. And I'm not saying this in any sort of a partisan way, I think both teams have been equally blown for completely BS calls. I know they are trying to "keep control" of the game, but this is the f*cking finals. If anything, the bias should be towards a no call rather than the quick whistles they have been blowing tonight.