Nanogen Quality

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What the hell has happened to Nanogen? It's new batches being sent out to Boots are abysmal, the 30g shakers of which I've stupidly bought another one, thinking it may have been a one off, (only because they didn't have any 15g), will not shake out, and when it does on every 6th shake, it's so uneven,the quality of the stuff looks like ash, It's not the product it used to be and I'll bet it's being made elsewhere. Won't be buying it again. Customer service was as useful as a chocolate teapot too, but then I wouldn't expect them to say, yeh, we know, it's rubbish now.... but a little more friendly wouldn't go a miss

Oh, and the so called Medium Brown is practically black now, it's much darker than it used to be

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
i prefer toppik. used nanogen once, falls out too easily, looks like chopped up pubes.

s.a.f

Reaction score
chr1s said:
i prefer toppik. used nanogen once, falls out too easily, looks like chopped up pubes.

how can something thats between 0.2 and 0.7mm long look like chopped up pubes?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hahaha! Brilliant.

I've not used Toppik for a very long time because my first experience with it, it just looked like soot on my head. Has it improved in the last 3 years?

s.a.f

Reaction score
People really need to learn how to apply this stuff. Used properly its amazing.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You talking about Toppik or Nano?

If you're talking about Nano then you obviously haven't received the latest batch yet...

Got any MasterClass pics for us then? :agree:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Esprit said:

If you're talking about Nano then you obviously haven't received the latest batch yet...

Yes I've just recieved the new size container, the only difference is its twice as tall.
I've posted this many times before, dont pour the stuff upside down on your head. Just hold the tin at a 45% angle above your head (about 9") and give it a quick flick/shake of the wrist it will relase a short puff of dust and you move your head into it. Obviously do this infront of the mirror.
A few of these shakes is all thats needed then run your hand through your hair to blend it.
You have to realise that your aim should be for slight improvement (about 20% visible thicknening. If you're expecting some kind of miracle of course you'll be dissapointed and if you pour on shitloads of the stuff of course it will look crap.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Good post from SAF.

I've always found nanogen to be quite good and I'm using it again after a while of shaving.

It can really help sprouse up your hair and if put on right, it'll look good. Try doing it in a room like the bathroom with bright lights, or using a x3 handheld mirror thing that way if it holds up under those lights or mirror - it'll look very good.

I do a similar method to SAF, but I spray it on area - lightly tipping it at first and then if I need a touch more, I'll do that - it's hard to explain but I think after a few practises you'd get used to it. If you do it in the bathroom, you can also use your hand to flap it around the rest of your hair - blending it into the thicker hair too.

I seen a guy once who had some sort of concealer in his hair but he whapped it only the top of his head, the conealer he had was black and his hair was brown it looked very obvious, but even then if he applied it liberally, and blended in - it can look very good.

The only bad thing about nanogen for me is it still slightly comes off onto covers and sheets and unless they are dark or black covers, it's quite noticeable. I'm not talking about half a top off on the pillow but a light blue case would look still reasonably ok in the morning just a bit grubbier from the dark fibres.

Another negative of it, is it gives you a image that you'll think 'wow' but once you have that shower and wash it out. You have to start again and place it in. So in that way, if you want it to look natural, you're going to need to treat it like it's an everyday part of your grooming regime.

I got so fed up of concealers a while back and decided to shave my head, I'm now grown my hair in but my problem was my hair was too long for concealers. I was NW3 and had a moptop of thinning/diffuse hair. I've now opted that although I'm a NW3/diffuse as well - I can still look reasonably ok if I keep it shortish on top, and with short sides as well .
Similar to this style;
http://www.splicetoday.com/vault/posts/ ... 1310066227

This guy is pretty much Norwood 3 - he shaved his head a while back. Maybe 2.5 and with some hair on top and keeping it short, you can look very decent and give an apperance of more hair.
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/212 ... tevens.jpg

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Esprit said:

Yes I've just recieved the new size container, the only difference is its twice as tall.
I've posted this many times before, dont pour the stuff upside down on your head. Just hold the tin at a 45% angle above your head (about 9") and give it a quick flick/shake of the wrist it will relase a short puff of dust and you move your head into it. Obviously do this infront of the mirror.
A few of these shakes is all thats needed then run your hand through your hair to blend it.
You have to realise that your aim should be for slight improvement (about 20% visible thicknening. If you're expecting some kind of miracle of course you'll be dissapointed and if you pour on shitloads of the stuff of course it will look crap.

Twice as tall, yeh brilliant.

Yeh, I get it, and 45% 90% 180% angle! it doesn't come out!! I've bought before remember for years, when it was good. This batch is crap. It physically won't come out! And as for running your hand through it, forget it. It comes off straight away, unless you pour a load on, which as you rightly point out, looks sh*t. How do you run your hands through this stuff, seriously? If I pat it, it comes off and exposes scalp

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hiya said:
Good post from SAF.

I've always found nanogen to be quite good and I'm using it again after a while of shaving.

It can really help sprouse up your hair and if put on right, it'll look good. Try doing it in a room like the bathroom with bright lights, or using a x3 handheld mirror thing that way if it holds up under those lights or mirror - it'll look very good.

I do a similar method to SAF, but I spray it on area - lightly tipping it at first and then if I need a touch more, I'll do that - it's hard to explain but I think after a few practises you'd get used to it. If you do it in the bathroom, you can also use your hand to flap it around the rest of your hair - blending it into the thicker hair too.

I seen a guy once who had some sort of concealer in his hair but he whapped it only the top of his head, the conealer he had was black and his hair was brown it looked very obvious, but even then if he applied it liberally, and blended in - it can look very good.

The only bad thing about nanogen for me is it still slightly comes off onto covers and sheets and unless they are dark or black covers, it's quite noticeable. I'm not talking about half a top off on the pillow but a light blue case would look still reasonably ok in the morning just a bit grubbier from the dark fibres.

Another negative of it, is it gives you a image that you'll think 'wow' but once you have that shower and wash it out. You have to start again and place it in. So in that way, if you want it to look natural, you're going to need to treat it like it's an everyday part of your grooming regime.

I got so fed up of concealers a while back and decided to shave my head, I'm now grown my hair in but my problem was my hair was too long for concealers. I was NW3 and had a moptop of thinning/diffuse hair. I've now opted that although I'm a NW3/diffuse as well - I can still look reasonably ok if I keep it shortish on top, and with short sides as well .
Similar to this style;
http://www.splicetoday.com/vault/posts/ ... 1310066227

This guy is pretty much Norwood 3 - he shaved his head a while back. Maybe 2.5 and with some hair on top and keeping it short, you can look very decent and give an apperance of more hair.
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/212 ... tevens.jpg

Always comes off on the pillows, despite spraying loads, it's a great shame, but as for natural looking, sometimes it does, and sometimes it really doesn't. You have to be lucky. It's been years since I tried Toppik and didn't like it, First time I tried Nano I thought it was brilliant. But today, it's not so great. I'll bet factory has changed.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
I might have the old one's that you are talking about? I ordered about 3/4 tubs of it in August last year and then I decided to shave my head shortly after ordering - so I'm using those ones.

What do you use right now, Espirt? Are you NW3 and diffuse thinning?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I bought a dark brown small can of nano which is an older batch to the med brown new one, but it's not great and not a great colour. (must try the light one too) I had crown loss, but now got to diffuse yeh.... so started using Derm before applying, but that's awful stuff and just gives you a shiny scalp. Don't know how anyone uses that without fibres unless they just have very minimal loss

UunoTurhapuro

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought Nanogen fibres recently from Boots after taking a break for more than 9months. The new version is awful and it seems the fibres are smaller than they used to be and look more ashy. The bottle itself looks cheaper and the fibres don't come out as easily as before. Does anybody know where I can buy the old stock of Nanogen fibres from?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
UunoTurhapuro said:
I just bought Nanogen fibres recently from Boots after taking a break for more than 9months. The new version is awful and it seems the fibres are smaller than they used to be and look more ashy. The bottle itself looks cheaper and the fibres don't come out as easily as before. Does anybody know where I can buy the old stock of Nanogen fibres from?

I don't think it's the fibres, it's just the new cans don't dispense properly. I thought Boots next delivery would be OK and it was just the first batch but no, they've been consistently crappy. If anyone was trying fibres for the first time and have the unfortunate luck of going to Boots to buy Nanogen, they will be put off for life. All of the recent new Boots stock is absolute sh*t. I doubt anyone has the old stock now, it's all this new stuff, you won't be able to get it, the small and large cans are all new stock. My biggest disappointment was the really horrible attitude from the gobshite at the Head Office of Pangaea who make this stuff

s.a.f

Reaction score
I dont understand the issue here. :dunno:
The new tins are exactly the same but just longer in the body. The mesh dispenser is exactly the same.

Its like saying a 12ml bottle of perfume does'nt spray the same as a 6ml.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I dont understand the issue here. :dunno:
The new tins are exactly the same but just longer in the body. The mesh dispenser is exactly the same.

Its like saying a 12ml bottle of perfume does'nt spray the same as a 6ml.

Yes, but you are going to have to trust me on this one, it doesn't pour out, at ANY angle, you can shake it till you drop but it does not pour out. You can slam it and then get a huge clump of mess and then nothing else will come out after. It's impossible to explain to you, obviously, but as someone who has used their small 15g for 3 years, I know what 's defective and what isn't. And as you can see from the past few months on here, I'm not alone

berserker69

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using fibres _ i used toppik years ago but god i really didn't need it.

Now I have lost most likely 50% density.....

Nanogen seems to get best reviews on here, but are these quality issues the same? I need to order some quick, though it's my hairline that is the most f*cked now...

It's b e great to not be hat Prisoner for rest of my life...

brsrkr69

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't buy the big cans, they can be a pain and very inconsistent. Get the small one and try it.