N-acetyl-cysteine For Treatment Of Androgenetic Alopecia In Men

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to see the dosage. Even water kills a person given the amount. They were probably stuffing the mice with the substance.

Just like they stuffed a mice with dutasteride and gave the pfs fraction a hard on with its results. Lets also not forget that NAC is also a normal amino acid and precursor of GSH. And unlike other antioxidants, it does not leave an oxidant after doing its work from what I read a few years ago. But I would also not recommend supplement it for no reason.

Anyways, there was also a paper that did show pgd2 cycled weak androgens into testo by induction of ROS which was inhibited by NAC. That being said its about hitting the right dosage as ROS is more about balance. Some ROS are needed for stem cells etc as also one paper specifically for hair growth did state. NAC usually has low oral bioavailbilty and half is also about 5 hours. So three times 600mg might make sense.

Believes NAC will cause lung cancer.

Uses RU58841 daily for years believing its safe.

Alright.

Experimental drugs from questionable sources, without having them tested himself probably. Ppl are so funny, guess this is never going to change.

NAC is great imo. Wouldnt even be surprised if it had some protective effects against corona ;)

el_duterino

Reaction score
I used RU because that was the only drug which worked at stopping my hairline receeding back in 2009.
Stopped RU in 2018.
I wasn't happy to use an experimental drug from China but I felt I had no choice, RU or further receeding was the option, I made the choice and took the risk. There are no anti androgen that have been flagged in cancer studies though, unlike NAC.

If there was a study in mice showing that RU may cause lung cancer, I would have dropped it real fast. Lung cancer is not something you want to gamble with.

We are in 2020, there are much safer options now ,far more effective than a NAC for hair, no need to take these risks anymore.

And, i also took NAC at high dosages about 1800mg a day for a year, due to to other issues. NAC work well at improving eyesight and breathing, protecting hearing from traumas, so it does have some useful benefits but it did absolutely nothing for hair. I stopped when the cancer study came out.

If you want effective supplements for hair, you want to try MSM and Biotin

Last edited:

Xenophon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
?? What.. You can buy this anywhere. The question is if this is efficient. Taurine has more proof probably.

I take NAC orally every day now that I know it has some utility for hair growth. I'd always kept it around because taking it while drinking drastically reduces hangovers. Take like 2x 600mg or something during the course of the evening.

For my morning rinse I'm now using MgCl and taurine in a spray bottle. I would use NAC topically but it's too tricky suspended until water; taurine on the other hand dissolves just fine and is going to be stable in with the Mg. These two together should help remove calcium and increase anagen.

The thing is I already always wet down my buzz cut quickly in the morning because it gets matted. So here instead of dousing my head with fluoridated hard water, I'll just use distilled water with growth factors do this. Spray it on massage in and let it sit while you do morning stuff. After that, put on your main topical, Zix/min/EO whatever. I always try to make things streamlined as if I'm not really doing anything different. The only hairloss-specific activity I do, which didn't previously have some other analogous activity, is microneedling.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take NAC orally every day now that I know it has some utility for hair growth. I'd always kept it around because taking it while drinking drastically reduces hangovers. Take like 2x 600mg or something during the course of the evening.

For my morning rinse I'm now using MgCl and taurine in a spray bottle. I would use NAC topically but it's too tricky suspended until water; taurine on the other hand dissolves just fine and is going to be stable in with the Mg. These two together should help remove calcium and increase anagen.

The thing is I already always wet down my buzz cut quickly in the morning because it gets matted. So here instead of dousing my head with fluoridated hard water, I'll just use distilled water with growth factors do this. Spray it on massage in and let it sit while you do morning stuff. After that, put on your main topical, Zix/min/EO whatever. I always try to make things streamlined as if I'm not really doing anything different. The only hairloss-specific activity I do, which didn't previously have some other analogous activity, is microneedling.

Regarding topical NAC: it smells like sh*t, not really somehting someone wants to have on his hair.

Xenophon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Regarding topical NAC: it smells like sh*t, not really somehting someone wants to have on his hair.

Taurine on the other hand has no smell, though it is also a sulfurous amino like NAC. I recommend topical Mg for all, due to dietary reasons, especially if you take D3 and/or K2. You can get all three in a single lotion but for us the Mg is more useful on the head. Young guys who are just coming here asking "guise am I going bald" should do what I do with the Mg bottle. Nothing to it, and it'll prevent fibrosis so you'll already be limiting at least one aspect of the AA process.

for some or perhaps many, I think just going on a low-inflammation/high vitamin diet and treating the scalp starting in the early 20s will obviate a future need for surgery.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Taurine on the other hand has no smell, though it is also a sulfurous amino like NAC. I recommend topical Mg for all, due to dietary reasons, especially if you take D3 and/or K2. You can get all three in a single lotion but for us the Mg is more useful on the head. Young guys who are just coming here asking "guise am I going bald" should do what I do with the Mg bottle. Nothing to it, and it'll prevent fibrosis so you'll already be limiting at least one aspect of the AA process.

for some or perhaps many, I think just going on a low-inflammation/high vitamin diet and treating the scalp starting in the early 20s will obviate a future need for surgery.
I have a good quality Magnesium Taurate supplement.. how could I make a topical with it?

StudyHacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just like they stuffed a mice with dutasteride and gave the pfs fraction a hard on with its results. Lets also not forget that NAC is also a normal amino acid and precursor of GSH. And unlike other antioxidants, it does not leave an oxidant after doing its work from what I read a few years ago. But I would also not recommend supplement it for no reason.

Anyways, there was also a paper that did show pgd2 cycled weak androgens into testo by induction of ROS which was inhibited by NAC. That being said its about hitting the right dosage as ROS is more about balance. Some ROS are needed for stem cells etc as also one paper specifically for hair growth did state. NAC usually has low oral bioavailbilty and half is also about 5 hours. So three times 600mg might make sense.

Experimental drugs from questionable sources, without having them tested himself probably. Ppl are so funny, guess this is never going to change.

NAC is great imo. Wouldnt even be surprised if it had some protective effects against corona ;)

Is it okay if I take 3x1g / day with the doses 5 hours apart from each other since apparently its half-life is 5 hours?

nick123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn this study is still in the recruiting stages, I guess they are facing delays from covid-19.

In the meantime has anyone tried mimicking the study by taking 3 x 600mg NAC daily (spread out between the day) for a period of at least 4 months?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Study finished next month, i sorta took NAC then stopped, i also wasn't taking high dosages of it, since a couple of days ago i have been taking 500mg morning 500mg at night along with 2ml oral castor oil, hoping for at least a tiny difference. I will give it 3/4 months to see results.

nick123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Study finished next month, i sorta took NAC then stopped, i also wasn't taking high dosages of it, since a couple of days ago i have been taking 500mg morning 500mg at night along with 2ml oral castor oil, hoping for at least a tiny difference. I will give it 3/4 months to see results.

The study hasn't started yet it's still in the recruiting stages.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score

What's gonna happen is that the study is going to report positive results "comparable with Minoxidil", then they're going to have that one freak guy who gets some barely significant regrowth and take pictures of him as proof. Meanwhile, in the real world, a bunch of people will jump on it and 6 months down the line no one is going to have any kind of results with it whatsoever.

Calling it right now.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's gonna happen is that the study is going to report positive results "comparable with Minoxidil", then they're going to have that one freak guy who gets some barely significant regrowth and take pictures of him as proof. Meanwhile, in the real world, a bunch of people will jump on it and 6 months down the line no one is going to have any kind of results with it whatsoever.

Calling it right now.

Going a bit off topic but do you know of any way to speed up the recovery time in regards to hair damage done of using an AI(like letrozole)

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Going a bit off topic but do you know of any way to speed up the recovery time in regards to hair damage done of using an AI(like letrozole)

Yeah. Decrease androgen receptor activity significantly enough and wait for the estrogen to de-miniaturize what you lost...

You're basically asking me how to regrow hair. If it's been more than 6 months it's probably not going to come back just on its own.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. Decrease androgen receptor activity significantly enough and wait for the estrogen to de-miniaturize what you lost...

You're basically asking me how to regrow hair. If it's been more than 6 months it's probably not going to come back just on its own.

i thought hair damage from letrozole was only temporary? I stopped it in march and my hair is still a disaster, thinking only estradiol will help at this point.

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i thought hair damage from letrozole was only temporary? I stopped it in march and my hair is still a disaster, thinking only estradiol will help at this point.
It is kind of weird to me that anti-gyno guys won't use estrogen but they will use all of these cancer drugs that are experimental and without much history of human use and serms, are forms of estrogen, at least some are. Over at the MtFs sites we see that transgender females can't grow anything at all. They are like some of you guys. They will try anything and they will never give up. The hot thing now is progesterone up the *** which I think the founder of the hormonal life thread might have done but at least he wasn't doing to grow breasts. It doesn't work for that anyway but it might be good for hair. Still P is non-essential for HRT and that includes hair growth to my knowledge.

Seriously, you guys should go read some of the reddit MtF HrT pages and you will see person after person after two years of full blown HRT alleging no effects anywhere on the body. I have answered dozens of these questions whenever I go over to help the newbies.

I used NAC for years and until recently. It is supposed to be a nootropic.

My feeling is that something new is going to have to be created for you guys. I don't think the answer is in vitamins and minerals and foods with thousands of years of human use. The number of different oils and fruits and estrogenic plants being used is mind-bobbling on here and nobody is growing any hair, not worth the time spent in terms of cosmetic significance. I further think that there is a very delicate balance between beard and body hair and scalp hair based upon the different effects that MtFs have. Also, beard removal in itself, I believe might be a baldness treatment but of course, that is excruciatingly painful and not an option for you guys.

But why, even on estrogen and HRT did my dermatitis only go away when I removed the follicles of the beard? The body synthesizing in the follicles DHT that Duta and the rest are missing.

Last edited:

inmyhead

Reaction score
It is kind of weird to me that anti-gyno guys won't use estrogen but they will use all of these cancer drugs that are experimental and without much history of human use and serms, are forms of estrogen, at least some are. Over at the MtFs sites we see that transgender females can't grow anything at all. They are like some of you guys. They will try anything and they will never give up. The hot thing now is progesterone up the *** which I think the founder of the hormonal life thread might have done but at least he wasn't doing to grow breasts. It doesn't work for that anyway but it might be good for hair. Still P is non-essential for HRT and that includes hair growth to my knowledge.

Seriously, you guys should go read some of the reddit MtF HrT pages and you will see person after person after two years of full blown HRT alleging no effects anywhere on the body. I have answered dozens of these questions whenever I go over to help the newbies.

I used NAC for years and until recently. It is supposed to be a nootropic.

My feeling is that something new is going to have to be created for you guys. I don't think the answer is in vitamins and minerals and foods with thousands of years of human use. The number of different oils and fruits and estrogenic plants being used is mind-bobbling on here and nobody is growing any hair, not worth the time spent in terms of cosmetic significance. I further think that there is a very delicate balance between beard and body hair and scalp hair based upon the different effects that MtFs have. Also, beard removal in itself, I believe might be a baldness treatment but of course, that is excruciatingly painful and not an option for you guys.

But why, even on estrogen and HRT did my dermatitis only go away when I removed the follicles of the beard? The body synthesizing in the follicles DHT that Duta and the rest are missing.

What do you mean by removing follicles of the beard? Are you claiming you plucked out hairs from beard or did some other removal and now your hair on scalp recovered?