My Weekly Hair System Journal (updated)

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How r u fitting the system by your self if you are ordering a stock unit? were you cutting the base to fit your size? for a rookie that's good progress already...

50 for the cut sounds very reasonable in NY....and probably you will only need 2-3 cut-ins per year so very cost effective

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How r u fitting the system by your self if you are ordering a stock unit? were you cutting the base to fit your size? for a rookie that's good progress already...

50 for the cut sounds very reasonable in NY....and probably you will only need 2-3 cut-ins per year so very cost effective

I ordered the stock unit and cut the base myself using a template mold that I made from my baldness pattern.

I found a place that will charge me 18$ for a cut-in. It's a regular salon, I just asked if they were willing to cut my hair if I walked in with the wig already attached to my head.

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I ordered the stock unit and cut the base myself using a template mold that I made from my baldness pattern.

I found a place that will charge me 18$ for a cut-in. It's a regular salon, I just asked if they were willing to cut my hair if I walked in with the wig already attached to my head.

Great dude...I have been wearing close to a year now and I don't know how to cut the system base to fit my bald area, I usually go to the saloon for the cut in and styling and maintenance...started doing my own maintenance from past 3-4months

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After a long break from wearing hair systems, my stock unit had just arrived in the mail today. There was a lot of planning and trial/error that went into the previous hair system I purchased, but this one is more closely adapted to my age (per say).

I ordered a jet black lace hair system with (90%) density. This hair system will last me until maybe March or April until the supply becomes more normalized. I'm glad I could find this system, because it's quality and appearance looks very good. Will be updating this journal entry little by little now that I have a hair system on hand.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
After a long break from wearing hair systems, my stock unit had just arrived in the mail today. There was a lot of planning and trial/error that went into the previous hair system I purchased, but this one is more closely adapted to my age (per say).

I ordered a jet black lace hair system with (90%) density. This hair system will last me until maybe March or April until the supply becomes more normalized. I'm glad I could find this system, because it's quality and appearance looks very good. Will be updating this journal entry little by little now that I have a hair system on hand.
Where did you order your system from? There seems to be a crazy shortage of hair systems right now industry wide. It's nuts.

Also why did you take a "long break" from wearing? seems like you were doing so well reading back in your older posts.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where did you order your system from? There seems to be a crazy shortage of hair systems right now industry wide. It's nuts.

Also why did you take a "long break" from wearing? seems like you were doing so well reading back in your older posts.

I ordered a hair system from a reputable seller off of Ebay. No other sellers were able to stock their hair system, so I had to order one from this seller. I had previously bought a hair system from this seller which lasted for a solid 4 months. I actually threw away the hair system much earlier than I should have, because I couldn't tolerate the all poly base (not very breathable for my scalp). The system could of easily lasted me 6 months+.

I took a "long break" from hair systems, because I'm currently a student studying at home and isolating myself from quarantine. I'm not out and about in public, and no one is really seeing/approaching me other than my family. There's no reason for me to purchase a hair system during this time period nor keep up with maintenance. Now that it's almost 2021, I'd like to adapt a new look for the year.

My current hair system is a low-density Jet Black all lace system. The color is slightly darker than my biohair, so I'll be tinting my bio hair to match the hair system. Other than that, stock systems that are low density often work great for me.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered a hair system from a reputable seller off of Ebay. No other sellers were able to stock their hair system, so I had to order one from this seller. I had previously bought a hair system from this seller which lasted for a solid 4 months. I actually threw away the hair system much earlier than I should have, because I couldn't tolerate the all poly base (not very breathable for my scalp). The system could of easily lasted me 6 months+.

I took a "long break" from hair systems, because I'm currently a student studying at home and isolating myself from quarantine. I'm not out and about in public, and no one is really seeing/approaching me other than my family. There's no reason for me to purchase a hair system during this time period nor keep up with maintenance. Now that it's almost 2021, I'd like to adapt a new look for the year.

My current hair system is a low-density Jet Black all lace system. The color is slightly darker than my biohair, so I'll be tinting my bio hair to match the hair system. Other than that, stock systems that are low density often work great for me.
Great to hear about your journey. 6 months of use? Wow. May I ask what your routine was that you thought you'd get this long of use out of it? You must have been very gentle.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great to hear about your journey. 6 months of use? Wow. May I ask what your routine was that you thought you'd get this long of use out of it? You must have been very gentle.
I used frigid cold water to clean my system with some light shampoo, but I only applied the shampoo to the base of the system to clear and sanitize the glue. I washed the entire system regardless. Other than that a wide tooth comb. I would remove and reattach my hair system every 7 days. Also like to add that I never exercised with my system on, nor did I not go out in the sun alot. Solid 4 months.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
December 21, 2020

Because of the worsening of COVID and the known shortages going around. I'm going to not break out my stored hair system just yet. Instead, I will hold onto this hair system until next Spring when things are (hopefully) better. This will help me both save money and help me keep my system from being damaged.

It's a tough time, and I'm grateful to even have a hair system on hand. I'm sure companies are going to keep working on fixing shortages and finding new routes for supplies. Hopefully NK will reopen their borders again soon all while good news comes from the vaccine. I may have to shave my head one more time during the quarantine, but it won't be a problem since no one will be seeing me anyway.

It's all a waiting game now my friends. We can only hope somewhere in the middle of 2021 will things get better. Right now I'm going to keep focusing on my school work, etc. I shouldn't be worrying about the market of hair systems and whatnot. The hair system industry will not die out, but instead will be forced to adapt to the new changes brought about by the quarantine. I'll just have to keep my stock system in comfort until those changes happen.

Technologic0280

My Regimen
Reaction score
Newbie here, my 2nd week with my system.. just checking for updates! I learned a lot reading through this, and as a beginner appreciate it!!

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update:

I still haven't worn or cut-in the new hair system that I bought a few months back. I probably won't for another couple of months. Even after essentially 8-12 months of COVID, the hair system industry and suppliers are all still in the rut. I'm just waiting for a semblance of the market to return to normal. I only order a #1 Jet Black Stock Hair System (Light-Medium Density). You'd think this wouldn't be hard to find...but it is. I'm not going to wear a hair system regularly until I know I can purchase another one 6-7 more months down the road for a reputable company.

On a positive note, I'm saving a lot of money. Not only am I saving money by not purchasing any hair-system related stuff, but I'm also saving money by avoiding wasteful spending like fast-food etc. Of course, this is just my hair system journal. Not my actual journal.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow. So many hits.

Can I ask? What's wrong with wearing an actual wig, like well, I use to. I loved it and it looked nice and stayed in place really well. I was shooting for Mick Jagger circa 1972 and I found it, more or less. No, I couldn't swim but it brushed like real hair and it moved pretty authentically, to me, anyway. Chicks could spot it but guys less so.

Anyway, it was a very low maintenance way of dealing with an unfortunate shed to baldness and it even really became part of my personality. Goddess Bless.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow. So many hits.

Can I ask? What's wrong with wearing an actual wig, like well, I use to. I loved it and it looked nice and stayed in place really well. I was shooting for Mick Jagger circa 1972 and I found it, more or less. No, I couldn't swim but it brushed like real hair and it moved pretty authentically, to me, anyway. Chicks could spot it but guys less so.

Anyway, it was a very low maintenance way of dealing with an unfortunate shed to baldness and it even really became part of my personality. Goddess Bless.
I don't get what you mean here. In my dictionary, I consider hair systems-wigs-toupees all the same. I am a newbie so I am probably not correct in my terminology.

There's nothing wrong with wearimg one. I just can't wear one now due to how bad the market is with covid and the poor supply of wigs. The prices are high, but the quality is poor.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't get what you mean here. In my dictionary, I consider hair systems-wigs-toupees all the same. I am a newbie so I am probably not correct in my terminology.

There's nothing wrong with wearimg one. I just can't wear one now due to how bad the market is with covid and the poor supply of wigs. The prices are high, but the quality is poor.
The thing that I eschew is the attachment part but I guess some people want to sleep with their hair on. Mine was too poofy anyway.

HenryP

My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing that I eschew is the attachment part but I guess some people want to sleep with their hair on. Mine was too poofy anyway.
With respect, I’d say there is no comparison between ‘normal’ wigs that you put on and remove each day, and the wigs known as ‘hair systems’ that are adhered to the scalp for long periods.

Hair systems ARE wigs, but they have more in common with toupees because they generally attach to the crown and blend into real hair at the edges.

I’m sure with a custom expert wig maker, something as realistic as a hair system could be produced in the style of a normal wig, I know they get commonly used in movies for instance. But no normal wig is going to cling to the scalp, and simulate real hair growth in everyday conditions with an active lifestyle in the same way as a system - especially for a man with shorter hair who doesn’t want a ton of density (which most normal wigs have). In fact I’m not aware of any regular wigs on the market or that are easily accessible that boast a realistic or low hair density; only hair system wigs really achieve this. And even if those kind of natural density wigs did exist, you’d still have to tape or glue the lace down to feel secure during the day and take it all off at night, so it’s even more maintenance.

It’s the difference between day and night!

Don’t get me wrong, if you found a product that worked for you then I’m very glad for you and maybe you discovered something I haven’t seen out there, but I can’t imagine most people wanting a believable natural look to work with their lifestyle would be able to find those results in a normal wig. From your name I’m assuming you‘re a woman so I understand it’s easier to pass off higher density and longer styles as realistic, but for shorter hair or with guys it‘s much more challenging to ‘get away’ with anything less than total authenticity!
:)

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
With respect, I’d say there is no comparison between ‘normal’ wigs that you put on and remove each day, and the wigs known as ‘hair systems’ that are adhered to the scalp for long periods.

Hair systems ARE wigs, but they have more in common with toupees because they generally attach to the crown and blend into real hair at the edges.

I’m sure with a custom expert wig maker, something as realistic as a hair system could be produced in the style of a normal wig, I know they get commonly used in movies for instance. But no normal wig is going to cling to the scalp, and simulate real hair growth in everyday conditions with an active lifestyle in the same way as a system - especially for a man with shorter hair who doesn’t want a ton of density (which most normal wigs have). In fact I’m not aware of any regular wigs on the market or that are easily accessible that boast a realistic or low hair density; only hair system wigs really achieve this. And even if those kind of natural density wigs did exist, you’d still have to tape or glue the lace down to feel secure during the day and take it all off at night, so it’s even more maintenance.

It’s the difference between day and night!

Don’t get me wrong, if you found a product that worked for you then I’m very glad for you and maybe you discovered something I haven’t seen out there, but I can’t imagine most people wanting a believable natural look to work with their lifestyle would be able to find those results in a normal wig. From your name I’m assuming you‘re a woman so I understand it’s easier to pass off higher density and longer styles as realistic, but for shorter hair or with guys it‘s much more challenging to ‘get away’ with anything less than total authenticity!
:)
I figured since I wear a wig that I should learn more not because I need one. My hair is great for a guy but women have to have a straight hairline and I don't yet. I rock my wig and I know what you are saying. If I were bald underneath I might invest in a system and I don't want there to be stigma for any of these guys and gals.