My Weekly Hair System Journal (updated)

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been my third full week of wearing a hair system, and I have to say the experience has been great. I feel like my own self again when I started college. I'm confident stepping outside, and started exercising again. Being a complete DIY, I'm gradually getting better at wearing and replacing a hair system.

This week the clean up was far far easier. I sprayed the C22 and let it sit on the base for several minutes. Then I used an old gift card to easily scrape off the glue from the system. Clean up took only a few minutes.

I'll be attaching the hair system tomorrow namely cause I want to airate my scalp a bit. I'll be using tape around the perimeter only and using glue only for the hairline. I bought a white stencil marker to mark my hairline, making it easier to help identify where to touch the base too. I previously got an SMP which was definately a cure, but I grew tired with the look. Hopefully things work out well.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just had my best hair system attachment yet. It went very smoothly, and I didn't have to fumble with the glue leaving a mess. This time, I taped the sides of my hair piece and glued the front and back to get that nice seal all around. There were some small spots that I missed on the hairline, but I fixed this with a small toothpic end and glue. Overall, the process took about 20 minutes and the result looks better than last week. Can't wait for the next round to perfect this. I have two months till school starts, so I have to get this down cold beforehand.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Attachment #4

Today I decided to detach and re-attach my system early. I discovered that since I have a very active lifestyle, using the glue attachment method with my thin skin isn't the best option for me. Sweat will pool under the base causing the glue to dissolve and disperse with white chunks. Plus it can be very uncomfortable for me to sleep at night on day 6-7 as the glue has already broken down and the cap has started to lift. Tape on the other hand holds much stronger and isn't as messy at all. Because of my active style, I'm thinking of purchasing a Swiss Lace instead of a poly thin skin when I buy a decent hair system in August.

After removing it and cleaning it, I decided to use an all tape perimeter and glue just the front. The hairline was not as great, because the glue spilled everywhere and did not attach evenly, leaving a small crease in the corner. I couldn't do anything about the crease since everything else was firmly planted, so I covered it up with my hair system hair. Another problem I realized is that the current tape I'm using is slightly curved and comes in strips. I realized today after watching a tape attachment tutorial that this isn't the best at getting that close tape attachment around the perimeter, so I ordered the walker's tape (12 yards). I'm hoping I can cut the walker's tape at just the right angles to ensure a good coverage on all sides of the system. For my next attachment, I am going to use tape all around the perimeter via Walker's No-Shine 12 yards. I definitely feel much better with attaching the back and sides of my system with tape instead of glue. I'm going to try taping the front as well next time.

I'm thinking of purchasing an actual decent hair system soon instead of the garbage 40$ one I currently have that I bought on Ebay. I think one more month of wearing this trash and getting used the mechanics of doing it entirely by myself will be enough for the real deal. It's all about practice and getting better at it slowly. I've spent a fair amount on this new change, but I have probably still spent less than an actual hair-system-salon visit.

My current schematics for my hair system is (will be): Lace base with a walker no-shine tape perimeter including the hairline.

What do you guys think: should I switch to lace from a thin skin? Will a lace look more artificial, especially if I have an exposed frontal hairline?

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are several threads talking about Hair System bases - search them out and take time to read through those. If your going to step up and order a system - consider going a step further and order a hybrid base with a skin perimeter and a lace front and center. This gives you the best of both worlds. On mine, I use tape on poly perimete to give me that stronger hold, and then bond the front. Because maintenance is so much easier on the front of the system. There is a skill to be learned in this entire process - and my skills are crap. But on the front hairline - that one I can knock it out in about 10 minutes. The key to that is make sure you clean it up before the bond starts to break down. Once that happens - cleaning it up is much more difficult.

I admire all the work you're putting in to discover what works for you.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Johnathon; thanks for documenting your progress. Hopefully it will be an insight for other newbies.

My feeling is that lace is definitely a better option for anyone who is physically active, because of its breathability, and the fact that sweat can run out and shower water and fresh air can get in. It is more work to clean up, because you have to treat the lace mesh with more delicacy, but I think you will find it is worth it. A lace base with a horseshoe rim around the edge in poly or thinskin is a good halfway house.

In my experience lace gives better hairlines than thinskin. Skin looks great provided it is perfectly glued down, but if you get any loose base the milky colour of the base film can become visible. Also, there is always a defined edge to the base, and occasionally if it catches the light the wrong way that edge can become visible momentarily without you noticing. With lace there is no hard edge for anyone to see - the base peters out in an irregular line of tiny threads (which gets more irregular as the system gets older). The tiny threads just look like tiny hairs or fine lines in your skin.

Noah

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
June 30th, 2020

Today was another successful cleaning and re-attachment with significant improvements in taping and gluing the hairline. I managed to do this all under an hour, and this includes me taking a shower and giving myself a good scrub. By 10 AM I had already attached my system. I am not sure when I started, but it was definitely some time after 9 AM.

Clean Up:

The clean up process was much easier this time around since the tape came right off without breaking apart after spraying C-22. I used the edge of an old gift-card to gently lift tape off the system and washed it thoroughly. Instead of repeatedly dunking my hair system in a wash basin in the shower, I washed my system in the skin with frigid cold water. I shampoo'd and conditioned it as I should and let it dry on my mannequin head properly, making sure I detangled it with an extra-wide tooth comb. I draped a towel over it briefly as well, but let it naturally dry and air-ate itself. The clean up process was much easier, and I didn't leave a mess in the skin. Nor was there a lot of hair shedding or smelly fingers, which was an added bonus.

Attachment:

For attachment, I used perimeter tape with frontal hairline glue attachment. I decided that I was going to tape the perimeter (minus the front) with Walker's tape and glue only the frontal hair-line so that the front appeared more realistic. I think I'm going to stick with the slicked-back style so gluing the frontal hairline will be my only option for this method. I set up the perimeter by cutting the tape into little squares and lining them all along the perimeter of the base. It was a perfect alignment as it was much easier than the longer pieces that I ordered before with minimal curvature. With the perimeter (minus the front) taped, I decided to attach the hair piece starting from the back of my head. I aligned a mirror across the main bathroom mirror and gently slid the piece across my bald head slowly. It was a smooth fit all around and it naturally came to wear my hairline should me.

Now I decided to use glue this time for the front instead of tape mainly, because I wanted it to fit perfectly. I used Ghost Bond XL by applying tiny dabs of glue on a q-tip and then rolling it q-tip across the frontal of my scalp until it was all clear. It was much easier to use a q-tip than a brush that I bought off of Amazon as it did not leave a mess and was much easy to maneuver. After the application was clear, I pulled the system gently over the glued area and pushed the hairline down with a wide-tooth comb. It was almost perfect, as there is a small crease in the top corner, but this is probably due to a poorly designed template on my part. When I order a new hair system, I will make a more symmetric and even template. Either way, there was no fuss with the hairline this time, and since I properly dried my hair and brushed it back, none of it got into the way of the glue. It was truly a perfect attachment.

Future Improvements:

I am going to cut Walker's Tape into tinier even squares when placing them around the perimeter. I think it's better to get a more closer seal to the edges of my hairpiece even though my hair-piece was well-fitted this time. I'm also going to redesign my template and make it more symmetric. This includes shaving my remaining biological hair evenly and creating a new template that would be better for attachment. I was initially thinking of taping the hairline, but I think I'm going to stick to glueing it.There is no way I can tape the hairline perfectly up to the very edge. I just need more practice with glue and establishing a hairline.

It looks like I'm going to order a super thin skin and do what I've been doing. One more week before I order the real thing, although I won't be attaching it until the 3rd week of the month when I hopefully find a stylist to cut my hair.

Of course I'll have to get it cut somewhere hopefully before this second wave of virus shuts everything down.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hi John

In your last paragraph your mention a super thin skin. Are you referring to UTS?

Is there a reason you'd change from lace to UTS?

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hi John

In your last paragraph your mention a super thin skin. Are you referring to UTS?

Is there a reason you'd change from lace to UTS?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm new to the hair system world and have been wearing once since the start of the quarantine since no one would see. I currently own a thin skin right now, but I am in the process of ordering a Swiss Lace from a company that is well-liked on this forum. I was referring to an UTS (I think), but that company is located overseas and does not seem to be active due to the pandemic.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You mentioned the idea of using a card to scrape off the tape and that never occurred to me. Great idea and might help me out!

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You mentioned the idea of using a card to scrape off the tape and that never occurred to me. Great idea and might help me out!

Thanks, I actually got the idea from another member on this server. It's great cause you gently life the sides of the tape enough so that you can grab it and peel it off. Of course it's easy since my C-22 has already loosened it.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes if need be c22 works well for me on the poly part. I try to avoid it on the lace because I don't like using washing up liquid on lace to remove the oil residue.

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great to see your progress John. I’ve been wearing for about 4 months now but it still takes me like 2 hours to do a full de/re. I’ve never tried C22 on the base. I’ve been using ghostbuster to weaken the tape and bond which makes it easier to come off but I still have some sticky residue that remains even after I’ve taken off the tape and the glue. Do you make sure the base is not sticky at all before you wash and shampoo the system or is there some sticky residue leftover?

Stubble

My Regimen
Reaction score
Encouraging to read about your journey, definitely gives me hope. I'm a 21 year old who's starting my own hair system journey this week and getting familiar with it before I go back to uni in a month or two. Going to be using a poly system and doing a full bond and seeing how I get on with that. I'm interested in hearing about what you did the first time you put it on? Did you cut it down to size yourself and shave the top of your head completely alone? I've got a party next week that I'm going to and I'm having to install my first system at the weekend, with the help of my mother. Would really appreciate if you could share some of your knowledge on this so I don't have any disasters. Lol

Cheers! Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. :D

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Encouraging to read about your journey, definitely gives me hope. I'm a 21 year old who's starting my own hair system journey this week and getting familiar with it before I go back to uni in a month or two. Going to be using a poly system and doing a full bond and seeing how I get on with that. I'm interested in hearing about what you did the first time you put it on? Did you cut it down to size yourself and shave the top of your head completely alone? I've got a party next week that I'm going to and I'm having to install my first system at the weekend, with the help of my mother. Would really appreciate if you could share some of your knowledge on this so I don't have any disasters. Lol

Cheers! Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. :D
Good luck man

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
July 7, 2020

Today was another successful attachment and reattachment of my current hair system. It was very successful and efficient, taking less than 20 minutes. What improved this time was how well I managed to tape my perimeter and glue the front. I was able to get a solid seal all-throughout and have minimal areas of discontinued tape. Those tiny spaces between tape were glued using a cotton swap and some Ghost Bond. The hair-line was attached well with minimal "trapped hairs", but I definitely need to get a new hair system at this point.

At this point, the only negative aspect about my hair-system appearance is how unnatural it looks. My hair system was purchased for 60$ off of Ebay and is of poor quality. The only reason I purchased it off of Ebay is because I know that this will be a test run. Rather than spend close to $200 on a quality hair system, I figured I'd get used to owning and maintaining a cheap one that looks fake. At this point, I feel very comfortable taking the hair system on and off, attaching it and cleaning it. Most of all, I can survive wearing one a week at a time. I've just purchased a quality hair system for about $200.

The new quality hair system I have ordered is on its way in the mail and show arrive next week. It's a 1B French Lace System that should match the hair on my sides. I also never had my current hair system cut by a professional stylist, which is why I have the North Korean Dictator cut. I cut it myself - and it turned out fairly terrible. Once I get it cut properly it will look more natural. Right now my hair system kind of looks ridiculous, because it isn't cut-in nor the right color. I'm currently having doubts over continuing to wear a hair system cause it doesn't look as great as I expected it to be, and my parents are making fun of me for it. It's slightly discouraging, but they've always been neigh-sayers. I'll post pics once I get the hair system cut-in in late July.

Okay, I've been wearing a hair system since May. That's two months of experience other my belt which should be enough to prepare for the real thing.

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, man. I see you're 21 as well. What's your hair loss situation, if you don't mind me asking? Reckon we could probably relate to each other a fair bit.
Yeah man. I am balding since I am 19 but it has been recession mostly. I am taking finasteride which is slowing it down (I think) but I am still losing ground. I am here because I want to mentally prepare myself that I will get a hairsystem at some point in the next couple years

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah man. I am balding since I am 19 but it has been recession mostly. I am taking finasteride which is slowing it down (I think) but I am still losing ground. I am here because I want to mentally prepare myself that I will get a hairsystem at some point in the next couple years

I am sorry to hear that. I started experiencing hairloss at 21ish, and I was a diffuse thinner so I lost most my hair all over the top of my head rather than having recession. I never tried any of the prescriptions and supplements out of fear for the possible side effects. I just didn't want to f*** up my hormones in case I was one of the few that would experience those adverse effects. I jumped right into DIY hair systems cause I figured they were logically a safe bet. I actually started wearing them since the quarantine cause I knew no one would see me nor would it matter how bad they looked.