my supplier told me lace units are becoming a thing of the past

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so what is to order now in its place? I cannot wear those thin skin ones; I cant use tape with them. I hate glues.
Thoughts?

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hopefully not since lace is the most breathable, I'm sure somebody will still sell them but maybe they'll become more pricey since they won't be the norm

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Totally false. Your supplier is telling you that because currently, lace is difficult to obtain because Chinese workers are refusing to make them.

2. Why can't you wear thin skin?

3. You can use tape with skin, you just need to be careful.

4. I also hate glues, and try and pull my clients off them as much as possible.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Totally false. Your supplier is telling you that because currently, lace is difficult to obtain because Chinese workers are refusing to make them.

2. Why can't you wear thin skin?

3. You can use tape with skin, you just need to be careful.

4. I also hate glues, and try and pull my clients off them as much as possible.
I had thin skin once. It was like saran wrap. I don't know how you can use tape on it. I ruined it. Is there some other thin skin you are referring to? I cant see how you can use tape without ruining it.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had thin skin once. It was like saran wrap. I don't know how you can use tape on it. I ruined it. Is there some other thin skin you are referring to? I cant see how you can use tape without ruining it.
C-22 to remove it, and go a tad thicker... you have many options in thickness... 0.04, 0.06

Or go hybrid... lace + skin... easier to find.

JohnathonNY

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm okay with thin skins and poly skins, the only problem is that it gets uncomfortable for me to wear later into the week. I'd like my scalp to have the ability to breath a little bit.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
New Times Hair are still doing custom lace units, so this isn't true.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Totally false. Unless they meant that they are becoming a thing of the past right NOW since they aren't being made due to the pandemic still (can't believe still) causing production issues.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you Think there are thousands and thousands of lfull swiss ace stock systems sitting in warehouses in N.Korea not being able to leave the country ? once they open up , lace will be in abundance again i think

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you Think there are thousands and thousands of lfull swiss ace stock systems sitting in warehouses in N.Korea not being able to leave the country ? once they open up , lace will be in abundance again i think
Everything that was completed, was eventually shipped. No more materials getting in.

allrightmate

My Regimen
Reaction score
The production issue is the factories are making PPE.
There's more money in stitching face masks than making lace wigs one hair at a time.

When the PPE market becomes saturated they will revert to hairpieces again.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The production issue is the factories are making PPE.
There's more money in stitching face masks than making lace wigs one hair at a time.

When the PPE market becomes saturated they will revert to hairpieces again.
Where did you come up with that silliness?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I double checked with my supplier this morning.

They say they have a few stock lace pieces but they are starting to struggle to get new stock pieces out of China.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I give up until the stock issues is improved if I'm honest.

I'm hoping by the end of the year.

I have spares for the few events I have to go to, and my daily wear piece is pretty beaten and might struggle to manage another two months, but yeah..

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything that was completed, was eventually shipped. No more materials getting in.
Just insane. So what is it going to be at this point here now almost one year later? North Korea is just never going to work on systems again until we are literally at 0 new cases per day in the world and then and only then will they allow materials to be shipped in? Because from what I understand China has Covid pretty much behind them at this point. Not sure why they can't send the materials in. On top of that, all these factory workers who would do the knotting in North Korea - all out of jobs this entire time. This should all be a lesson to wearers to have a good 2 systems on standby because it's clear this industry can get quite shady. I don't think I can name anything else that isn't yet back in production except for hair systems.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just insane. So what is it going to be at this point here now almost one year later? North Korea is just never going to work on systems again until we are literally at 0 new cases per day in the world and then and only then will they allow materials to be shipped in? Because from what I understand China has Covid pretty much behind them at this point. Not sure why they can't send the materials in. On top of that, all these factory workers who would do the knotting in North Korea - all out of jobs this entire time. This should all be a lesson to wearers to have a good 2 systems on standby because it's clear this industry can get quite shady. I don't think I can name anything else that isn't yet back in production except for hair systems.
You are trying to make "sense" of a country that makes no sense... and why are you calling the industry "shady" because something the world was turned upside down... by something unexpected?

" I don't think I can name anything else that isn't yet back in production except for hair systems."

There are worldwide shortages of all sorts of base materials, and end products. I just got an email from DHL that they are out of small plastic envelopes (world-wide), the HP printer I wanted to order is out of stock for months.

Last edited:

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well point is hair systems are a pretty essential product in the grand scheme of things imo and to think that everything is reliant on one area inside one country (N. Korea) is in fact bizarre. After this there should be a reassessment of how things are done. I mean it has been nearly a year at this point of shortages. That is just plain unacceptable. Don't you agree? Sure Covid was unexpected and turned the world upside down but throughout most of the world we have managed to move on a while ago, at least retail wise.

Maybe shady wasn't the right word. It just makes me nervous that god forbid something ever happens again in the future they'll shut down at the drop of a hat and the industry will be disrupted again.