My succes story: Big 2 + piroctone olamine (UPDATE 10/06/10)

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
I started noticing I was losing my hair 3 years ago, ironically just when I was growing it out a little. While looking at old pictures, I noticed it had been going for at least another two years after I turned 20. I remembered my barber had mentioned a long time ago my hair was 'limp on top' and now I finally understood what he ment by that. I decided to visit him again and ask about it. I realized I was f'ed, cursed every bald member of my family and then told the barber to buzz it all off.

My first year of 'treatment' was a disaster. I used Nizoral and Minoxidil. The combination wreaked havoc on my scalp. I continued using them for a year, but was forced to quit both because I was losing more hair than before.

At my second attempt, I decided to try Finasteride. At first I was scared. I read a lot of horror stories. I asked my Doctor for advice, but he's a clueless douchebag so he was no help at all. So I started reading up on finasteride, only sticking to scientific studies. When I found myself to be well-informed and aware of the possible side-effects, I started treatment and evaluated myself for sides every day. After six months, I decided to throw minoxidil back in to the mix. I had read something about an allergy to PPG, so this time I used min with glycerin instead of PPG and I experienced no problems at all.

Fast forward to this day: I've been using finasteride for almost 2 years and Minoxidil for 1,5 year. To this day, I experienced no side-effects at all. I did. My hair looks better then ever. I don't have to buzz my hair anymore to hide my hair loss. I went from that guy 'who is starting to lose it' to that guy 'who still isn't losing it'. In fact while my hair has gotten thicker and darker, everybody around me seems to be losing theirs. It's pretty awesome. :whistle:

EDIT: HERE'S WHAT I USE

0,5 mg Finasteride (morning)
5% Minoxidil w/o PPG (evening)
Shampoo w/ piroctone olamine (3x week)

JWM

Reaction score
Re: My succes story: finasteride & MIN FTW!

Congrats!!! :bravo:

Where are you getting your minoxidil, and are you using Proscar or Propecia?

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score

Thank you.

All my stuff is generic, ordered at a local pharmacy.

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score

Congrats man, any before/after pics?

Also, whats your generic finasteride called?

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score

bboy said:
pics or it didn't happen.

I joined this forum two years ago and posted more then a hundred times, just to fool you guys because....? :roll:

@ SurpisedGuy The finasteride I use is from Teva. My pharmacist uses a box of 30 x 5mg to make 120 capsules.

Obsidian

Reaction score

Congrats, when did you noticing the success?

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score

It took quite a while to notice decent results. By the end of the first year I got minor improvement, but people mentioned my hair got darker. I think the overal quality of my hair just improved. The second year I started to noticed an increase in density. I buzzed again a month ago after keeping it longer (2 inches) for a year. At that moment I could really tell my hair looked much thicker and denser than 1 year ago.

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score

UPDATE: A week or so after I started this thread, my hair suddenly started shedded. For a while, I though I jinxed it. However, I sat it out for 2 months and now my hair looks awesome again.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

eXVee said:
UPDATE: A week or so after I started this thread, my hair suddenly started shedded. For a while, I though I jinxed it. However, I sat it out for 2 months and now my hair looks awesome again.

That seems to be common among a lot of people in the long term.

Keep it up!

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I gotta mention one thing though. I'm using a shampoo with piroctone olamine (for about a year) and it kicks so much a**. It really makes a difference.

I really, really recommend using a piroctone olamine shampoo!

FabioM

Established Member
Reaction score

eXVee said:

Was your shed scary,like about 50 hairs on your hands after combing it?

I feel i´m having agressive hair loss since i´ve started a new treatment and i wonder if it´s worth to keep going :whistle:

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score

eXVee said:
Thanks. I gotta mention one thing though. I'm using a shampoo with piroctone olamine (for about a year) and it kicks so much a**. It really makes a difference.

I really, really recommend using a piroctone olamine shampoo!

Ive bin interested in PO for some time now but have yet to find a webshop here i live who sell it... Wich one do you use?

Do it dry out your hair like keto or anything else?

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My succes story: finasteride & MIN & PO FTW! (UPDATE 7/25/2010)

@ FabioM 50 hairs at least. But I wasn't worried because I've been through sheds before during treatment and it always returned.

@ MrBastard I use the European version of T/Gel Forte. It has PO instead of coal tar. I find it a lot less drying than Nizoral. That stuff left my hair looking like a pile of hay.

Nizoral is a very cheaply formulated shampoo. It isn't made to be gentle, it is just ment to be a carrier for ketoconazole. If you'd take out the keto, you'd be left with a very lousy product.

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score

Update: 10/5/2010

I went to a hairdresser. She cut my hair a bit too short, so I was worried it would look bad. Seems I had nothing to worry about. My male pattern baldness has become almost invisible. I don't have to worry about hair loss anymore.

I attribute a important part of my succes to the usage of a PO shampoo. It surprises me so little people are using it.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Why would you attribute it to the shampoo? A lot of people have amazing success with finasteride and minoxidil without any shampoos. You might just be a good responder to one or both of those.

JWM

Reaction score

eXVee said:
Update: 10/5/2010

I attribute a important part of my succes to the usage of a PO shampoo. It surprises me so little people are using it.

Maybe because it's hard as hell to get in the States.

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
@ TheGrayMan2001
I know the finasteride is what's really stopping my hair from falling out. But as a growth stimulator I think a PO shampoo fits the bill almost as well as minoxidil does. 2-3 months after I start using it I notice increased density. When I quit I lose it in about the same period. When I go back on to it it comes back.

I guess to me PO shampoo is what Nizoral is to others on this forum. Both ketoconazole as piroctone olamine have research showing them to be effective in the treatment of hair loss. I can only talk about my own findings and I could be totally off, but if more people could try PO shampooing then we could find out if I'm right.

@ JWM
That really sucks. It does explain why there isn't much talk about PO on this forum.

Obsidian

Reaction score
eXVee said:
@ JWM
That really sucks. It does explain why there isn't much talk about PO on this forum.

Not to answer for him, but it has. If you search back it has been, the problem is just for people in the US finding someone who actually distributes, hence why we have to go with Keto or Salicylic formulas.

Although like everyone else, I agree that Dr. Lee's shampoo is better than Nizoral. :punk: