My Strange And Difficult Hair Loss Story

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been looking at this site for a while and finally decided to sign up. So hello! I guess I'll skip straight to the strange part for those that don't want to read the rest of my story. Currently my hairline has receded pretty far at the top corners where my hairline used to meet. Strangely the hair that has receded is mostly still there, but it's very short and thin. Like peach fuzz where all my hair used to be.

My more detailed story:
I was very overweight in my early 20s. I wanted to be happy with how I look, so I started dieting an exersizing. I also found out I have a mild dairy allergy, so my diet changed greatly in this time. Fast foreword to 25 and that is around the time I had mild recession at the temples, but it was so slow I didn't notice it for years. At 26 I realized my hairline was bad at the temples, but the receded areas were so smooth I still didn't realize it was actually receding. Around the last year and a half (26-28 years old) is when everything went down.

I had finally hit my goal of losing 55lb, all while gaining muscle, and greatly improving my look. I went from nearly obese to having abs. But my satisfaction was robbed from me, because I realized that my hairline had receded far enough to make me ashamed. Instead of being proud of my accomplishment I developed debilitating Body Dysmorphia, no longer able to work or go in public.

Last summer I started to look for solutions. Hairloss was so strange to me because no one on my dads side has ever experienced hairloss. Only my mothers father has the horseshoe, but even his dad had full hairline into his 70s (he was so lucky). After a blood test I found I was deficient in vitamin D. I started taking suplements and fine hairs grew where my hairline used to be. I was so excited at first, but it never progressed further. That was about 4 or 5 months ago. Shortly after my hair started shedding like mad. Not just from the top, from all sides, and my hair changed texture. About a month ago I found out that retinol can cause hairloss exactly like mine. I was using retinol creams twice a day as well as taking a vitamin A supplement. I had hoped that stoping vitamin A and retinol would help. For a while it did. The tiny hairs on my right temple started to thicken up, but the I got carried away. I tried a prescription shampoo and rogain. Then it shed back to match my left temple (which sucks cause my right temple hadn't recessed as far up to that point), so I stopped rogain and the shampoo.

As of now it's so weird; the tiny hairs form almost a second hairline, and it's LOWER then where my original hairline was when I was a teen. I've always had a big forehead, but if all these little hairs grew, my forehead would look normal. They seem to be getting longer very very slowly, but in the meantime, other hair is miniaturizing normally and my real hairline continues to get worse. So confusing. It's like the thin hair hairline is there to taunt me, and show me what could have been.

Sorry if that was long. I'd be so thankful if anyone would be willing to read and comments.

pizzamanluigi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What support are you looking for? Like do you want treatment help? You just told us a long story about how you took a few vitamins and tried minoxidil for a short time. None of what you did will stop your male pattern baldness. And yes, hair loss sucks.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What support are you looking for? Like do you want treatment help? You just told us a long story about how you took a few vitamins and tried minoxidil for a short time. None of what you did will stop your male pattern baldness. And yes, hair loss sucks.

Oh I guess I wasn't clear. I was wondering if anyone else ever had experience with this kind of regrowth. Like my hairline receded, then stubble grew. Then the stubble grew lower then my original hairline, and my temple thickened, but I'm still having hair fall.

Also how do I stop my shedding? This was never a part of my normal hairloss. It only started about 3 months ago after I tried some weird organic shampoo that gave me tons a dandruf.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You know what, this was such a nasty response, I can already tell this is a toxic place filled with people that won't be of any help. Will probably delete my account. People like you are the reason the modern world is such an awe full place.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
You know what, this was such a nasty response, I can already tell this is a toxic place filled with people that won't be of any help. Will probably delete my account. People like you are the reason the modern world is such an awe full place.
Honestly, you misinterpreted his response. I don't see anything malicious in what he said. You obviously are in pain and I can understand what it is like to have BDD. I have it too. Not as severe as you but I have it. Minoxidil can grow hair in places you really don't want them to. Unfortunately, minoxidil is known more as a growth stimulant and will thicken existing hair. In some cases, those hairs below your original hair line might become terminal and grow more but its very uncommon. If you feel comfortable showing photos on here, we might be able to help you better. At times this place can be toxic as many are depressed and have anxiety but I think you need to give this place a chance before you jump ship. I have been here for over 10 years( embarrassingly addicted to this place) and have met some really great people.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, you misinterpreted his response. I don't see anything malicious in what he said. You obviously are in pain and I can understand what it is like to have BDD. I have it too. Not as severe as you but I have it. Minoxidil can grow hair in places you really don't want them to. Unfortunately, minoxidil is known more as a growth stimulant and will thicken existing hair. In some cases, those hairs below your original hair line might become terminal and grow more but its very uncommon. If you feel comfortable showing photos on here, we might be able to help you better. At times this place can be toxic as many are depressed and have anxiety but I think you need to give this place a chance before you jump ship. I have been here for over 10 years( embarrassingly addicted to this place) and have met some really great people.
Still unsure about this place, my bdd group is much more supportive. We will see.

Not sure if links are allowed. But I saw this video, and thought that it might work for me cause all my hair is still miniature?

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score