My Story: receding hairline at 16, NW3 at 19, Now 22 with Norwood 0.5/1

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
hey Jgray201 did spironolactone affect any other androgen driven processes such as the oiliness of your skin?

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey mate,
Yeah I'd definitely say it made my skin less oilier, but I've got pretty good skin as it is and never had spots as a teenagers so it didn't make much difference for me. Probably slowed down body hair growth a bit too, which is pretty desirable for me if I am being honest.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks - i'm still very amazed that anti-androgens induced hair growth in what appeared to be completely bald areas.

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't forget I was on Oral minoxidil, and have now been on AA for about 2 years now.

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
UPDATE: More Photos of Progress.

Just thought I would add some more photos, the camera quality is pretty poor but the photos are with a flash and I made sure i took the photos in a very light room, so it wasn't dark at all. I have also been on Cet for about 2 months, i think it has grown a lot of blonde hairs, but I also have small spots around the hair-line, something which a few people have complained about. I also added one of the very first photos i took, to help the comparison. My hair was also buzzed to a grade 3/4 last week, so it is pretty short!

Attachments

• 7.5 months (6 march) 2 months lon and spironolactone 1 month flut 001.jpg
    7.5 months (6 march) 2 months lon and spironolactone 1 month flut 001.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,930
  • 34 Months dutasteride 29 Months OS + OM 1 month Cet (2013-01-29) (2).jpg
    34 Months dutasteride 29 Months OS + OM 1 month Cet (2013-01-29) (2).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3,199
  • 34 Months dutasteride 29 Months OS + OM 1 month Cet (2013-01-29) (3).jpg
    34 Months dutasteride 29 Months OS + OM 1 month Cet (2013-01-29) (3).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,529
  • 34 Months dutasteride 29 Months OS + OM 1 month Cet (2013-01-29) (4).jpg
    34 Months dutasteride 29 Months OS + OM 1 month Cet (2013-01-29) (4).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,568
  • 34 Months dutasteride 29 Months OS + OM 1 month Cet (2013-01-29).jpg
    34 Months dutasteride 29 Months OS + OM 1 month Cet (2013-01-29).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 2,972

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whoa, that is a ridiculous amount of regrowth. 8O

Can't believe at one point you were on dutasteride, finasteride, spironolactone AND oral minoxidil! What mad hat doctor would prescribe all that to such a young person!! Still with that regiment it's crazy how you managed to regrow hair where there was none to start with.

Good luck, here's to hoping you stay side free and see more thicken of your hair!

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow..that's very good!! Congratulations on your sucess!!

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update

UPDATE:
6 months on from last post with photos. Basically going strong - Still on 5mg of oral minoxidil ED, 0.5mg dutasteride ED, 200mg Oral spironolactone. As photos show continuing to grow hair - from my observation there is complete growth of hairline, BUT, a lot of the hair is at different stages of growth dependent on the order in which i lost it. I remember when i first started receding it was slightly behind the hairline, this is still the part with the weakest/wispiest hair. Also, I have been on topical Ramatroban for two weeks, this has significantly reduced hair fall (whether that really means much.) I have been on spironolactone for about 2 and a half years now, the only side effect i've had is gyno which i have tackled with periods of taking tamoxifen. I think that after another 6 months, i will try and slowly drop spironolactone and move on to topical RU or CB.

In terms of photos, the first is about a month ago when my hair was buzzed all over to about a #2. The other three photos are from today.

Sorry about the photos being the wrong way, i can't seem to rotate them its really pissing me off

Jack

Attachments

• 2013-05-03 13.03.07.jpg
    2013-05-03 13.03.07.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2,394
  • 2013-06-07 15.40.10.jpg
    2013-06-07 15.40.10.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,997
  • 2013-06-07 15.42.12.jpg
    2013-06-07 15.42.12.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,158
  • 2013-06-07 15.42.23.jpg
    2013-06-07 15.42.23.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,320

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow just wow!

RapidRetreat

Reaction score
Hey mate that is really impressive! just wondering where you are getting your oral minoxidil from? I cant find it online anywhere. I am in aus. again well done you have committed to beating the odds and by all accounts it is what you have done!

Helel

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, you have no idea how much I need this right now. You went through two years of failure and lost more hair because of the treatments you were using and you were STILL able to get a good amount of hair back?

Thanks a lot bro. I needed this.

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No worries, i'm happy to share my experiences. I know how bad it feels to be on treatments and seemingly lose more and more hair. I am no longer using Bim, it was too expensive and impractical to use. I got some pretty solid results from cetirizine, it helped to darken and thicken hairs on my hairline after using it for a few months. However, i saw that ramatroban was available online and have been using this twice a day for about two months so far. My justification for this was that it would be a better vehice, and theoretically a more effective treatment than cetirizine. I did actually suffer from a bit of shedding initially, but recently some of the hairs on my hairline, and vertex have been growing back extremely dark and thick. Good news i suppose, but i will wait a few months before i take more photos and judge properly.

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update: I've been off oral spironolactone for about 3 months now, replaced it with 5%RU and nothing has changed. I feel like this could be a permanent, or semi-permanent regime. As of now I am on dutasteride 0.5 (ed), Oral minoxidil (5mg ed), Topical RU5% (ed) and Ramatroban (2x ed). I've been on ramatroban for about 3 months now too, after a small shed initially i am convinced it is a good treatment, very healthy scalp and lots of dark hairs growing. Will post photos at end of August.

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update: Photos

Most recent photos from today. Ramatroban is really helping on the hairline, strengthening weak hairs as well as lots of vellus hairs popping up. Also, for once i have absolutely no itch on my scalp, and the rate of growth of vellus/weaker hairs has really improved. Did go through quite a bad 1 month shed though. Also, having dropped oral spironolactone for 3 months or so, i have not suffered at all. RU 5% seems to have replaced it well so far.

Attachments

• 13 aug (2).jpg
    13 aug (2).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 2,111
  • 13 aug.jpg
    13 aug.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,005
  • 13 aug (3).jpg
    13 aug (3).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,034
  • 13 aug (4).jpg
    13 aug (4).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,992
  • 13 Aug 13 (2).jpg
    13 Aug 13 (2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,965
  • 13 Aug 13.jpg
    13 Aug 13.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,002

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Most recent photos from today. Ramatroban is really helping on the hairline, strengthening weak hairs as well as lots of vellus hairs popping up. Also, for once i have absolutely no itch on my scalp, and the rate of growth of vellus/weaker hairs has really improved. Did go through quite a bad 1 month shed though. Also, having dropped oral spironolactone for 3 months or so, i have not suffered at all. RU 5% seems to have replaced it well so far.

Where do you get the ramatroban from?
You make a solution or take the pill ??

cockledoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's incredible. I also needed this, because i'm in a similar position. I'm a NW2 and recently 17. I remember seeing a doctor when i was about 7/8 about hair loss. There would be quite a bit of hair on the pillow and my parents were concerned. Nothing was really flagged up on a blood test, but i think my iron was very slightly low, so they prescribed me iron tablets that i never took. I have very thick hair, so the hair loss was never so obvious around 10/12 but now when im in the shower and i run my hand through my hair, alot of hair comes out. I have no idea what to do. I had another blood test 1.5 months ago and everything was fine, but my iron was borderline. I've taken iron since, hoping that to grow hair i need high iron, so once its replenished, hair growth will normalise. There is a history of male pattern baldness on both sides, however none began at a similar age to me. Do you think there could be any other explanation other than male pattern baldness, which i find incredibly hard to believe, especially as hair loss has been a problem from so young. Also, do you think i should go on minoxidil. or propecia, given that i still think i'm growing. I would REALLY appreciate your help. I am completely lost.

giannis

Reaction score
jgray201 are you sure isnt dutasteride that regrew your hair? i see you dropped oral spironolactone any shedding now ?