My Story - A College Freshman

mompo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey! I actually saw your post the other day. I know you're using rogaine, I don't know if I want to go through the shed or not,, and deal with the oil every day. Did you experience any kind of shed?

Yes I think I'm shedding right now, but the hair falling are very small and thin, they weren't showing anyway so it doesn't bother me. On the other hand I think my hair starts to improve after 2 months of treatment :)

mn10

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'll be updating with photos in a bit of a time, but I started using rogaine solution two days ago and have since decided to stop. I absolutely cannot stand applying it/dealing with the oily hair. I may, however, use it at night before bed and then shower in the morning to get it out, but I haven't quite decided. I rationed that, if I needed a pill every day to maintain my hair I can deal with that, but the rogaine is too troublesome to deal with for extended periods of time. If anybody has any advice/opinions, feel free to let me know.
Have a good day!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'll be updating with photos in a bit of a time, but I started using rogaine solution two days ago and have since decided to stop. I absolutely cannot stand applying it/dealing with the oily hair. I may, however, use it at night before bed and then shower in the morning to get it out, but I haven't quite decided. I rationed that, if I needed a pill every day to maintain my hair I can deal with that, but the rogaine is too troublesome to deal with for extended periods of time. If anybody has any advice/opinions, feel free to let me know.
Have a good day!
The foam is better. Its like mousse and easy to apply. It won't make your hair greasy. It actually could make it thicker looking. You can always just use it at night and wash it out in the morning.

mn10

Reaction score
The foam is better. Its like mousse and easy to apply. It won't make your hair greasy. It actually could make it thicker looking. You can always just use it at night and wash it out in the morning.

So DoctorHouse, you don't think there's anything wrong with applying it once at night? I've read some stuff about it only maintaining at one application a day, and growing at two, although I don't know the validity of this statement.

mn10

Reaction score
You're doing everything you can reasonably do to combat this. Given your genetic history and your current status, it seems pretty clear that you're thinning, but you can perhaps forestall your hair loss through certain medications until you're financially established enough to get a transplant, which seems like the best option. It's awful that this is happening when you're so young, but you can be thankful that you caught it so early.

That's pretty much the plan. But I'll be honest, by the time I'm financially stable enough to get a transplant, I hope that I won't want it.

mn10

Reaction score
FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_6048.jpgIMG_6049.jpg

Here are some more pictures, as promised. I've started using rogaine about 2 weeks ago, no shedding of note yet.

mn10

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So shedding has begun. I've noticed a lot more hairs coming out, especially in my helmet when I take it off after practice. I've still been doing finasteride/rogiane/nizoral. The hairs that are coming out still seem a little thin at the root, but they actually seem less thin than before. Since school has just started and I'm seeing all of the people from last year, I was expecting to get a lot of comments on my hair thinning, etc. I've only gotten 1-2 from my close friends, but otherwise nothing. I also feel the more and more I go out with my hair thinning the more and more I've come to accept it in a way. I'm sort of "getting over the hump" that most people will have to wait 10, maybe even 20 years to go through (that is, dealing with hair thinning/loss). And, as weird as it sounds, I do think there are plus sides to thinning/balding at my age. Of course you're going to have a harder time finding a partner, maybe get rejected more than other people. You may be more stressed, more worried about what other people think. But that all fades. Everyone eventually evens out with time. Just think about it, there's something that makes you unique. What sets you apart. On the exterior, that "something" is your hair, but on the interior, you're someone who goes through real life experiences, real issues about self-consciousness. Nothing was handed to you. And when it's all over, you'll be better because of it. Bend, don't break.

Sorry for the rant, at this point this forum is more of a personal diary than anything else, lol.

mn10

Reaction score
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Hey Everyone!
Sorry it's been so long. As of right now, I'm 6 months on finasteride/nizoral, and 3 months on rogaine. Honestly, the results have been spectacular. I pretty much have no qualms about going out, sometimes I don't even look at my hair in the mirror any more. My mom hasn't seen my in the 6 months, and when I came back for thanksgiving she was completely shocked, she said she noticed about 6 months worth of straight growth in the temples, vertex, and even in the front! (she's a hairstylist). I did forget to mention that I had been putting rogaine on my hairline, but I hadn't put up pictures in the beginning so pictures now would seem sort of counter-productive.

Everything's going great, but I do have one slight issue: the dandruff from the rogaine. It's not too bad, unless I stat to itch my hair and it's a literal waterfall of dandruff coming from my fingers. Right now I'm using the 5% liquid version, but I'm considering switching to the foam. I'm also considering just skipping the rogaine all together and seeing what just finasteride will do for me. I may just take some pictures now and keep up with my hair for another 3 months, and if I notice significant loss/thinning I can pick it back up without problem. What do y'all think of this? Do you have any other solutions to the dandruff? It's really been a very recent problem, and I think it's because I used to go to practice with rogaine on my hair and it would sort of rub of with all of the sweat. Has anyone noticed any showering habits (morning/night) or application habits (waking up/going to bed) having any sort of effect? The showering for me really varies, but I normally apply at night. The one thing I don't want to pick up is applying in the morning because I hate how greasy it gets.
thanks!

mn10

Reaction score
FullSizeRender 2.jpgFullSizeRender-1.jpg

Hey everyone, it's been a few months since my last update. As you can tell, I'm not in a great spot right now. Since the last update, I stopped using rogaine, and picked it back up in foam version about 3-4 weeks ago. Right now I would consider myself as going through a pretty nasty shed. When I wake up, my pillow is littered with hairs, when I shower, my hand pulls out entire clumps. Studying at night, running my finger through my hair a few times might dump 60-80 hairs on my book. I'm really, really hoping this is the "dreaded minoxidil shed" and not my male pattern baldness picking up. At this point, I've been on finasteride for almost 8 months. Ideal situation would be for the rogaine to pay me back for all of this hair it just caused me to lose and for the finasteride to hold onto said hair. It also doesn't help here that my hair is extremely short--it's a similar length to that of my first few posts. If I were to, in a few words, describe how I feel right now, it'd be a mix of disappointed and hopeful (even to the point of naiveté), and a bit scornful. Scornful in that I watch these other kids roll around with their full heads of hair and no cares yet I'm over here constantly brushing my hair to the side and am always (read: always) aware when someone is directly above my head. I was having a great day one saturday when, that night, someone asked me if I was balding, and just those three words sent me sort of into a wreck the entire rest of the weekend. I guess another strong feeling I have is that of just being fed up with all of this. I've thought so many times if I were to go into college again knowing what would happen I would've shaved my entire head so people would've just known me as "that bald kid." Spring break starts in a week. . . I might just go with a super-short buzzcut, because at this point, I really don't know what else to do.

- - - Updated - - -

FullSizeRender 2.jpgFullSizeRender-1.jpg

Hey everyone, it's been a few months since my last update. As you can tell, I'm not in a great spot right now. Since the last update, I stopped using rogaine, and picked it back up in foam version about 3-4 weeks ago. Right now I would consider myself as going through a pretty nasty shed. When I wake up, my pillow is littered with hairs, when I shower, my hand pulls out entire clumps. Studying at night, running my finger through my hair a few times might dump 60-80 hairs on my book. I'm really, really hoping this is the "dreaded minoxidil shed" and not my male pattern baldness picking up. At this point, I've been on finasteride for almost 8 months. Ideal situation would be for the rogaine to pay me back for all of this hair it just caused me to lose and for the finasteride to hold onto said hair. It also doesn't help here that my hair is extremely short--it's a similar length to that of my first few posts. If I were to, in a few words, describe how I feel right now, it'd be a mix of disappointed and hopeful (even to the point of naiveté), and a bit scornful. Scornful in that I watch these other kids roll around with their full heads of hair and no cares yet I'm over here constantly brushing my hair to the side and am always (read: always) aware when someone is directly above my head. I was having a great day one saturday when, that night, someone asked me if I was balding, and just those three words sent me sort of into a wreck the entire rest of the weekend. I guess another strong feeling I have is that of just being fed up with all of this. I've thought so many times if I were to go into college again knowing what would happen I would've shaved my entire head so people would've just known me as "that bald kid." Spring break starts in a week. . . I might just go with a super-short buzzcut, because at this point, I really don't know what else to do.

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
if you get regrowth like you had with minoxidil you should never stop. But I mean since you responded really well the first time should respond well again. I would use the same exact minoxidil you used the first time.

mn10

Reaction score
I just never had a shed like this the first time time using minoxidil. Do you think the more drastic the shed the better you might respond to it? I can't imagine I'm just kicking out this many hairs and they're not coming back.

mn10

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm coming up on about a month on rogaine now. The shedding has begun to subside; whereas two weeks ago I would pull 10-20 hairs out of my head in the shower running my hands through my hair, I am only getting 4-5 now. So that's good. On the downside, however, my hair is looking incredibly thin. If anyone is reading this in my predicament--that is, dark haired individuals starting rogaine--DO NOT buzz your hair. I buzzed mine with a 3 on the top and a 1 on the sides, and it is nothing short of awful. Even with a week's regrowth over break, when I came back to school it was nothing but comments on my hair. Mostly innocent comments like "why did you cut all your hair off" etc etc, but just yesterday I got two particularly bad ones: a girl came up to me, rubbed her hands through my hair and said "why did you cut all your hair off you look like an old man," and my coach, in front of the entire team said "[my last name] your hair is thinning, just telling you." Took both of those pretty hard. On top of that it doesn't look great because the hair on the sides not only looks darker, but also longer since it sticks outwards whereas on the top it lays flat. So yeah, not good all around.

My main thing holding me right now is the understanding that this is probably the worse I'll get with the current regimen, that from now the only thing that can happen is that my previously shed hairs will start to grow back. If they don't, I'll just discontinue rogaine and let it grow back normally. The only thing I can do is wait right now. I have 6 months until school begins again in September, during which I intend to keep using the big 3. I'm also going to keep the side of my head really closely-cut in the hopes that it takes some focus off of the top, and try to survive this last month and a half of school.

I've attached two pictures of my current hair in normal lighting after a shower and towel-drying my hair. FullSizeRender-1.jpgFullSizeRender-2.jpg

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm coming up on about a month on rogaine now. The shedding has begun to subside; whereas two weeks ago I would pull 10-20 hairs out of my head in the shower running my hands through my hair, I am only getting 4-5 now. So that's good. On the downside, however, my hair is looking incredibly thin. If anyone is reading this in my predicament--that is, dark haired individuals starting rogaine--DO NOT buzz your hair. I buzzed mine with a 3 on the top and a 1 on the sides, and it is nothing short of awful. Even with a week's regrowth over break, when I came back to school it was nothing but comments on my hair. Mostly innocent comments like "why did you cut all your hair off" etc etc, but just yesterday I got two particularly bad ones: a girl came up to me, rubbed her hands through my hair and said "why did you cut all your hair off you look like an old man," and my coach, in front of the entire team said "[my last name] your hair is thinning, just telling you." Took both of those pretty hard. On top of that it doesn't look great because the hair on the sides not only looks darker, but also longer since it sticks outwards whereas on the top it lays flat. So yeah, not good all around.

My main thing holding me right now is the understanding that this is probably the worse I'll get with the current regimen, that from now the only thing that can happen is that my previously shed hairs will start to grow back. If they don't, I'll just discontinue rogaine and let it grow back normally. The only thing I can do is wait right now. I have 6 months until school begins again in September, during which I intend to keep using the big 3. I'm also going to keep the side of my head really closely-cut in the hopes that it takes some focus off of the top, and try to survive this last month and a half of school.

I've attached two pictures of my current hair in normal lighting after a shower and towel-drying my hair. View attachment 39202View attachment 39203
Your coach is an a**h** to put it lightly, there was no need to say that in front of everyone.

mn10

Reaction score
Yeah, he was making a joke but he's got a full head of hair at 40 and I don't think he realizes the kind of weight that holds. I don't hold it personally against him.