My Journey - minoxidil To Hair System. Advice Needed

Baldrik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, long story short, but topicals have cost me my hair. So I am shedding at such a rapid rate that if I don’t do anything about it now, it will be too obvious in the future if I wear a HS.

I am planning to getting a graduated HS from online US suppliers like Norwood lace. As I’m based in London, any salons close to west london (around the Heathrow area) would be very helpful as I don’t trust myself to make a template, or cut it myself or choose a colour that suits me. Advice and guidance are welcome!

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Baldrik, sorry to hear the topicals haven't worked for you.

One of our regular posters, DegDilemma, is also in West London, and he is constantly bemoaning the fact that there are no hair system places there. There are quite a few in Central London, and I will PM you some ideas.

Don't be too readily put off the idea of making your own template though - it's really not that hard. And if you are ordering on-line you just send them a sample of your biohair, and you should get a good colour match that way.

Anyway, best of luck.

Noah

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Noah. @Baldrik yes indeed it's a bit of a dry patch around the West side for salons/stylists! I ended up venturing a little further away and I now use Total Cover Plus - they supply and fit (only their own systems).

There are a number of other salons in central London, within an hour or so journey (One Head, MH2Go etc), but you'll find that most if not all only supply and fit their own systems. This shouldn't be a problem because some have a wide range of systems you can opt for. I guess you'll end up paying a bit more than if you did it yourself, but honestly it's worth the cost initially so that you can be sure of good service and can learn from the professionals.

If you're keen on ordering the system online then have a look at Ukhairsystems. Richard is really good and the quality of their systems are great. He can also recommend a stylist near Shepherds Bush, but the stylist can't make a template - he can only cut the hair in for you. @grincher has used Ukhairsystems for years.

Ultimately you should aim to find the best supplier/salon for YOU and then worry about the distance later.

Baldrik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Truly appreciated. That’s the idea - the first few times I’ll go to a salon and then, once I’m confident, be a little more independent and order my own.

@deg_dilemma do TCP have lace systems or is it PU only? I’ve read up a lot and it seems lace would suit me better.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Truly appreciated. That’s the idea - the first few times I’ll go to a salon and then, once I’m confident, be a little more independent and order my own.

@deg_dilemma do TCP have lace systems or is it PU only? I’ve read up a lot and it seems lace would suit me better.

Only UTS. I find it's much better than lace but everyone has their own preferences. Maintenance is much easier on UTS but in the hotter months it isn't as comfortable as lace.

smoothieoperator

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, long story short, but topicals have cost me my hair. So I am shedding at such a rapid rate that if I don’t do anything about it now, it will be too obvious in the future if I wear a HS.

I am planning to getting a graduated HS from online US suppliers like Norwood lace. As I’m based in London, any salons close to west london (around the Heathrow area) would be very helpful as I don’t trust myself to make a template, or cut it myself or choose a colour that suits me. Advice and guidance are welcome!
Hi Baldrik (awesome name btw - from Blackadder mayhaps?)

Not to hijack the conversation, but I'm curious about your minoxidil experience. I too quit minoxidi, about 7 months ago. It's been an endless shed all over my scalp, and also body. Is this similar to your experience?

Baldrik

My Regimen
Reaction score
@smoothieoperator yes from Blackadder :)

I used Minoxidil about 4 years back. I was thinning at the time, but nothing serious. Within weeks of using it, healthy hair fell out. I should have researched (I was quite stupid to be honest) I stayed on it for 10 months but nothing grew back. since then I’ve tried trinov, RU but I’ve just had shedding and nothing else (Back and sides too!). I’ve been on hair fibres for the past couple of years... but the amount of fibres I’m using is getting more and more. Now it’s a hair system before I loose it all. no alternative.