My First Progress Update And Future Expectations/advice

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, guys, this is my first ever post on a site like this but i think it will be good for me to become a more active member; beats boring friends and family to tears with it anyway!

Anyway, i'm 19 now but believe ive been losing hair for about 2 years roughly. Dad was nw7 in 20s so was obviously extremely concerned when i first noticed hairloss. Think ive been an nw2 for ages and just didnt really diagnose myself properly(denial). Noticed crown thinning last year which prompted me to stop burying head in the sand.

Considered minoxidil and finasteride last year for a few weeks but was scared off by 'horrible side effects'. Decided to just accept my hairloss. However, events in my personal life changed my outlook on treatment and i hopped on 5 and 12.5 minoxidil in April 2016(4 months ago)
Apologies only have one 'before' photo due to data loss on phone. The rest are all from today in various lighting conditions
Screenshot_2016-09-06-23-01-13.png Snapchat-3256593181489526784.jpg View attachment 43184 View attachment 43185
Do you guys think i should get on finasteride asap? Id like to get back to an nw1 in a perfect world, however im aware of realistic expectations

Any replies are greatly appreciated
John

Attachments

• Snapchat-5467731527987655156.jpg
    Snapchat-5467731527987655156.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,102
  • 20160906_200813.jpg
    20160906_200813.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 20160906_164624.jpg
    20160906_164624.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,102
  • 20160906_164506.jpg
    20160906_164506.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,072

Pereira

Established Member
Reaction score
If your dad went NW7 in his 20's and you are noticing hairloss then yes, you should monitor your hair.

You caught it early, so if you decide to start finasteride, maybe start with lower dose of finasteride (0.25mg) and adjust with time if needed.

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your dad went NW7 in his 20's and you are noticing hairloss then yes, you should monitor your hair.

You caught it early, so if you decide to start finasteride, maybe start with lower dose of finasteride (0.25mg) and adjust with time if needed.
Yeah i was thinking of micro dosing finasteride to start. Thanks man

Pereira

Established Member
Reaction score
No problem. My dad went NW7 in his 20's too and I manage to not be bald almost 10 years now .. time flies..

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem. My dad went NW7 in his 20's too and I manage to not be bald almost 10 years now .. time flies..
Good stuff mate. Whats your regimen like and have you had any regression in the past 10 years?

Pereira

Established Member
Reaction score
First year:
  • 1mg finasteride
  • 1x liquid at night
  • nizoral sporadically
\\ worked great
then

• 1mg finasteride
  • 1x foam at morning
  • nizoral more often
\\ suffered massive shed, freaked out

Next years (8):

• 1mg finasteride (proscar splitted)
  • 1x foam at morning
  • Tried nizoral 3x a week and everyday, bad results.
  • Nizoral few times a year, stabilized results

Past year (9):
  • Quitted finasteride for almost one year, we're trying to conceive and Itook the decision to play safe, regardless it is safe to conceive while on finasteride
  • 1x foam at morning
  • No nizoral
\\Hairloss became noticable, until this point no one comment that I was going bald. Now coworkers did.

So! Now! My wife is pregnant and I am very happy. I will get on treatments:

Now:
  • 1x foam at morning
  • 1x liquid at night (1ml)
  • Nizoral 1x a week
Hoping to recover what I lost this year :)

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First year:
  • 1mg finasteride
  • 1x liquid at night
  • nizoral sporadically
\\ worked great
then

• 1mg finasteride
  • 1x foam at morning
  • nizoral more often
\\ suffered massive shed, freaked out

Next years (8):

• 1x foam at morning
  • Tried nizoral 3x a week and everyday, bad results.
  • Nizoral few times a year, stabilized results

Past year (9):
  • Quitted finasteride for almost one year, we're trying to conceive and Itook the decision to play safe, regardless it is safe to conceive while on finasteride
  • 1x foam at morning
  • No nizoral
\\Hairloss became noticable, until this point no one comment that I was going bald. Now coworkers did.

So! Now! My wife is pregnant and I am very happy. I will get on treatments:

Now:
  • 1x foam at morning
  • 1x liquid at night (1ml)
  • Nizoral 1x a week
Hoping to recover what I lost this year :)
Alright mate, its been over a year now? How you getting on after restarting your treatments? My hairloss is much the same with maybe a slight improvment in the crown which im happy enough with

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright mate, its been over a year now? How you getting on after restarting your treatments? My hairloss is much the same with maybe a slight improvment in the crown which im happy enough with
UPDATE: some more up to date pics incoming. Hairline and crown, taken with flash on

Attachments

• 20171001_143538.jpg
    20171001_143538.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 649
  • 20170310_214523.jpg
    20170310_214523.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 625
  • Screenshot_20171207-190853.png
    Screenshot_20171207-190853.png
    659.4 KB · Views: 644
  • Screenshot_20171207-190707.png
    Screenshot_20171207-190707.png
    433.2 KB · Views: 656

WTS3

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would highly recommend getting on finasteride ASAP. You are in the same boat as me with tons of miniaturized hairs around the hairline which is usually a bad sign for young guys like us. Minoxidil is usually not enough without the aid of an AA.

If you are worried about side effects, just build up to your desired dose range. Watery ejaculation and a up/down libido are to be expected in the first month, maybe some testicle ache thrown in there. The only really bad ones are gyno and losing the ability to get an erection, but your chances of getting those are slim.

As for any medication, there is always the chance of side effects and the weight they hold is subjective to you. You still have a good head of hair left. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would highly recommend getting on finasteride ASAP. You are in the same boat as me with tons of miniaturized hairs around the hairline which is usually a bad sign for young guys like us. Minoxidil is usually not enough without the aid of an AA.

If you are worried about side effects, just build up to your desired dose range. Watery ejaculation and a up/down libido are to be expected in the first month, maybe some testicle ache thrown in there. The only really bad ones are gyno and losing the ability to get an erection, but your chances of getting those are slim.

As for any medication, there is always the chance of side effects and the weight they hold is subjective to you. You still have a good head of hair left. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
I've been on finasteride for over a year now man, I started not long after I originally posted the thread. I wish id started that first tbh, could have saved myself from having to apply minoxidil every day for a bit longer but oh well

soitbegins

My Regimen
Reaction score
i would say theres deff been improvement mate, more hair on crown and hair looks healthier and thicker! I think your responding well! Theres certainly not more loss in my eyes

soitbegins

My Regimen
Reaction score
Iv basically stabilized maybe minor regrowth in certain areas nothing major, but hair loss has slowed down i think! I'v only recently upped my dose to the full 1mg a day! Like you i wish i had got on it sooner :(

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Iv basically stabilized maybe minor regrowth in certain areas nothing major, but hair loss has slowed down i think! I'v only recently upped my dose to the full 1mg a day! Like you i wish i had got on it sooner :(
What prompted you to up the Dose? I'm microdosing at 0.5mg myself

soitbegins

My Regimen
Reaction score
What prompted you to up the Dose? I'm microdosing at 0.5mg myself

wanted to see if i could get better regrowth tbh! I had no sides with 0.5 so i thought may as well give it a go for the little bit extra DHT blockage, only been on 1mg a week or so and had no sides as of yet!

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone want to give me an estimation of my norwood level? I’d say im atleast a 2 but not a 3 yet. However, looking at the official scale vertex thinning doesnt start until you get to 3(nw3v level) which makes me wonder if i'm perhaps further along than i think

jonnywalker93

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story, very interesting and encouraging. Do you remember at which point in time you noticed your hair loss to cease?

Genuinely interested as I have pretty much the same pattern and started finasteride a month ago!

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story, very interesting and encouraging. Do you remember at which point in time you noticed your hair loss to cease?

Genuinely interested as I have pretty much the same pattern and started finasteride a month ago!
nah not really tbh man, ive never been one to suffer from shedding(im lucky if i lose 2/3 hairs after vigorously rubbing my hair and playing with it; i only lose hairs in the shower. My crown has filled in a decent amount and no further hair loss in 18months. Hard to tell without seeing what my hair would be pike without treatments