My First Diy Hair System Experience.

Kieran25

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wanted to share my non-surgical hair replacement experience. I'm 50 years old and I started to lose hair around 20 years ago. It got thinner every year so I have been wearing a baseball cap or hat for years. I didn't know anything about non surgical hair replacement (some people call Hair system, Hair piece, Toupee, Wigs...etc) until couple months ago when I saw some Youtube & Facebook videos. I started doing research and continue watched a lot of DIY videos regarding of the hair systems. I got pretty excited about it and decided to buy one for myself to try it. The company that I bought it from have a live chat function and the customer representative did a great job in answering all my questions. I bought my first stock hair system that cost around $160 USD (with some discount they offer for the first time buyer plus coupon code). It's a French Lace, Medium Light Density system,100% Indian Human hair and I also paid for the hair cutting and styling service that cost $20 USD extra and $10 extra cut the base down to my size which is 7X9 inch. The package shipped out from China and it arrived United States in less than 10 days (Free shipping too).

I took the customer representative suggestion using Walker Lace Front Support Tape around the perimeter (both sides and the back) and decided to try out three different adhesive for the hairline. So far, I've experiment using Walker Ultra hold adhesive, Ghost Bond Classic (Actually I order GB Platinum from Amazon but they send me a Classic instead) and Ultra Hold Mini Tabs and they all works good in a difference way. Btw, does anyone know what's the difference between Ghost Bond Classic and Platinum?

Anyway, I sleep and shower with the hair system on my scalp and shampoo every other days also with the system on. I remove the system from my scalp every 7-10 days for a full clean up. So far, I have no complaints at all. I'm a very active person that I go to the gym 3-6 times per week doing a lot of cardio on the treadmill which I sweat a lot on scalp that flows like a waterfall on my face. I shower and wash the hair system everyday sometime two times per day. The hair system it stays very secure on my scalp and can only be remove with either C-22 or Walker Lace Release solvent. I must say I'm very impressed with the Walker products which holds great. I watched a video of a guy wearing a hair system doing bungee jump, skydive and deep water scuba dive.....etc and I really believe I can do that with my hair system on too. Just last week I rode 3 hours motorcycle with the helmet on and do some outdoor hiking and camping with the system on and it was fine too. The hair was flat when I removed the motorcycle helmet so I spray some water and gently rub my fingers at the scalp to create lift for the hair and use a wide tooth comb to smooth hair back into shape. The only hair product I use is a "Not Your Mother's brand Leave-In Conditioner ". I do everything myself and really happy with the result. Everything fits well and my scalp didn't get irritated.

It was one of the best decisions I have ever made to buy a hair system and I wish I had discover a that years ago. After 15 plus years of wearing a cap, it is so great being able to style my own "FAKE" hair again. Hope this information help others who want to get a hair system.

The money I spend so far:

$160 Hair system
$14 Walker Lace Front Support Tape Roll
$12 Walker Positioning Spray
$9 Ultra Hold Mini Tabs
$20 Walker Lace Release Quart Bottle
$7 Walker Scalp Protector 1.4 oz Dab-on
$7 C-22 Citrus Solvent 4 Ounces
$13 Walker Ultro hold adhesive
$8 Not Your Mother's Leave-In Conditioner
$5 Styrofoam Mannequin Head
Very useful list as I am thinking to maintain myself but worried I won't have a clue but this list helps. Now I can youtube clips for how to clean and reattach

chief fan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wanted to share my non-surgical hair replacement experience. I'm 50 years old and I started to lose hair around 20 years ago. It got thinner every year so I have been wearing a baseball cap or hat for years. I didn't know anything about non surgical hair replacement (some people call Hair system, Hair piece, Toupee, Wigs...etc) until couple months ago when I saw some Youtube & Facebook videos. I started doing research and continue watched a lot of DIY videos regarding of the hair systems. I got pretty excited about it and decided to buy one for myself to try it. The company that I bought it from have a live chat function and the customer representative did a great job in answering all my questions. I bought my first stock hair system that cost around $160 USD (with some discount they offer for the first time buyer plus coupon code). It's a French Lace, Medium Light Density system,100% Indian Human hair and I also paid for the hair cutting and styling service that cost $20 USD extra and $10 extra cut the base down to my size which is 7X9 inch. The package shipped out from China and it arrived United States in less than 10 days (Free shipping too).

I took the customer representative suggestion using Walker Lace Front Support Tape around the perimeter (both sides and the back) and decided to try out three different adhesive for the hairline. So far, I've experiment using Walker Ultra hold adhesive, Ghost Bond Classic (Actually I order GB Platinum from Amazon but they send me a Classic instead) and Ultra Hold Mini Tabs and they all works good in a difference way. Btw, does anyone know what's the difference between Ghost Bond Classic and Platinum?

Anyway, I sleep and shower with the hair system on my scalp and shampoo every other days also with the system on. I remove the system from my scalp every 7-10 days for a full clean up. So far, I have no complaints at all. I'm a very active person that I go to the gym 3-6 times per week doing a lot of cardio on the treadmill which I sweat a lot on scalp that flows like a waterfall on my face. I shower and wash the hair system everyday sometime two times per day. The hair system it stays very secure on my scalp and can only be remove with either C-22 or Walker Lace Release solvent. I must say I'm very impressed with the Walker products which holds great. I watched a video of a guy wearing a hair system doing bungee jump, skydive and deep water scuba dive.....etc and I really believe I can do that with my hair system on too. Just last week I rode 3 hours motorcycle with the helmet on and do some outdoor hiking and camping with the system on and it was fine too. The hair was flat when I removed the motorcycle helmet so I spray some water and gently rub my fingers at the scalp to create lift for the hair and use a wide tooth comb to smooth hair back into shape. The only hair product I use is a "Not Your Mother's brand Leave-In Conditioner ". I do everything myself and really happy with the result. Everything fits well and my scalp didn't get irritated.

It was one of the best decisions I have ever made to buy a hair system and I wish I had discover a that years ago. After 15 plus years of wearing a cap, it is so great being able to style my own "FAKE" hair again. Hope this information help others who want to get a hair system.

$160 Hair system
$9 Ultra Hold Mini Tabs

$160 Hair system
$9 Ultra Hold Mini Tabs

chief fan

My Regimen
Reaction score

$160 Hair system
$9 Ultra Hold Mini Tabs

Hi Hair Newbie -

I'm new to this and have just started looking into ordering a hairpiece online and/or joining a club. So I've got several questions if you wouldn't mind. When you ordered your stock system, how did you match the color of your existing hair? How does it blend in with your existing hair? How did you know what size base to get? And lastly, when you say you paid to get it cut/styled, do you mean by a salon or by the hairpiece company prior to sending it to you? I'm very interested in this and any information you can provide will be very appreciated. Thanks!

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 106960 View attachment 106963 View attachment 106963
Hi Hair Newbie -

I'm new to this and have just started looking into ordering a hairpiece online and/or joining a club. So I've got several questions if you wouldn't mind. When you ordered your stock system, how did you match the color of your existing hair? How does it blend in with your existing hair? How did you know what size base to get? And lastly, when you say you paid to get it cut/styled, do you mean by a salon or by the hairpiece company prior to sending it to you? I'm very interested in this and any information you can provide will be very appreciated. Thanks!

>>ordering a hairpiece online and/or joining a club.
I ordered my hair systems directly from online company (Not sure if I allow to mention the company name here?). I heard joining a club is extremely expensive and the salespersons will manipulate you into buying something you shouldn't.

>> how did you match the color of your existing hair?
Most of the hair system companies are using the same hair color chart. Example LINK
lordhair-womens-color-ring.jpg

>> How did you know what size base to get?
How to get measurements for a hair system with a tape measure
http://www.hair-necessities.com/how...ding-area-on-your-scalp-using-a-tape-measure/
base_length_base_width-01_1_1.png

How-to-measurement-toupee-1_large.jpg

>>when you say you paid to get it cut/styled, do you mean by a salon or by the hairpiece company prior to sending it to you?
I was planning to have a local salon to do the install, cut and style for me in the beginning. The price they quote me is between $70 to $200 USD. I wasn't sure if they have any experience doing a hair system and I really don't want to be their guinea pig. The hair system company offer hair cut server for only $20 USD it seems to be the best option for the DIY route. I'm so glad that I use their hair cut service instead of going to the local salon route. You can pick your style that the website provide.
hair-style.png

Last edited:

chief fan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info! I'm considering a daily wear system, adhered with tape alone. How did you know how to attach yours, I'm assuming from the internet? I'm concerned about how it'll blend in with my existing hair on the sides - did you cut your sides down or have to grow them a bit longer to blend in with the hairpiece? Does it matter? I'm about your age - I'm 49, and have quite a bit of gray on the sides so I'm concerned about that as well. I also have a little bit of hair on the top - does that have to be completely shaved down or can I leave a bit of stubble? Thanks again - this has been extremely helpful!

Kieran25

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info! I'm considering a daily wear system, adhered with tape alone. How did you know how to attach yours, I'm assuming from the internet? I'm concerned about how it'll blend in with my existing hair on the sides - did you cut your sides down or have to grow them a bit longer to blend in with the hairpiece? Does it matter? I'm about your age - I'm 49, and have quite a bit of gray on the sides so I'm concerned about that as well. I also have a little bit of hair on the top - does that have to be completely shaved down or can I leave a bit of stubble? Thanks again - this has been extremely helpful!
Usually its best the top is shaved to ensure a good attachment. Find a good barber/salon that will blend it in. No doubt the system will need styling too so you will have to get that cut in too while you are there. Plenty of online videos on youtube showing how to attach a hair system - if you never done before, I would (my choice) go get it done professional first time then try yourself

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

If you decided to have a professional to do it for you. Let them know you bought a hairpiece and need an experienced assistance to install, cut and style for you. Show your hairdresser a videos example of what you are looking to get done.
Example video for people who have a white sideburn.

chief fan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Usually its best the top is shaved to ensure a good attachment. Find a good barber/salon that will blend it in. No doubt the system will need styling too so you will have to get that cut in too while you are there. Plenty of online videos on youtube showing how to attach a hair system - if you never done before, I would (my choice) go get it done professional first time then try yourself
ok, thank you!
!

chief fan

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you decided to have a professional to do it for you. Let them know you bought a hairpiece and need an experienced assistance to install, cut and style for you. Show your hairdresser a videos example of what you are looking to get done.
Example video for people who have a white sideburn.

ok, thanks again for all the info - this helps a great deal!!

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know most/all of you wear just a top piece, but I think by the way my hair is committing suicide I might have to consider in a year or so a full cap. The hair on the sides and back wants to keep thinning and the only reason people can't tell at the moment would be due to my hair grown out the most I can grow it to desperately hide the diffuse thinning, but my time is running low because I am 24 going on 70 I guess lol( this is really sh**ty ). Anyway, How do you guys get past knowing that something a part of you isn't real? I mean the stigma is kinda scaring me and this hair loss is depressing. For example, When I meet new people, it isn't unusual for me to fit in and I have been given compliments by people on how I look. It feels good when people like you for how you look because you are real even if they are being superficial, but you see the same people condemning others for what society would consider a lesser appearance. I apologize if I am not explaining this correctly because at the moment I feel mentally unorganized. It's like now if I wear fake hair when girls are interested in being with me, people compliment, or I am told by elders I have nice genes ( awkward but nice to hear ) I can't accept any of that anymore because what they are looking at is FAKE. I like to and always want to feel good, look good, be successful and make people who are humble smile and feel acceptance. I asked my father about his hair told him I was losing mine and he laughed at me. I mean if we look around there are people that do things that are ten times stranger but are still accepted. I am just venting, I just finished this fall semester, and my grades took a hit ( surprised I passed ) because all I am thinking about is my youth/life ending when it just started to look promising. I have a perfectionist complex or am vain I guess idk. In my teenage years, my self-esteem was crushed and I was depressed because I suffered from pectus excavatum ( not genetic at least ) until I went through intense surgeries, physical therapy, and weight lifting to get a body that looks really good when I work out consistently. Alright, this is all pointless rambling, but I just want to figure out a way to be happy and I apologize to Hair Newbie because this is your thread. I keep looking at the $300 price tag for a full cap on Northwest lace, but is this a good place to buy from? I have heard other guys on these forums claim a man would have to have nuts of steel to wear a full cap and I am curious as to why because I was thinking about doubling my dose of finasteride. If you guys don't mind, I would like to know what the absolute best kind of bond would be for the back nap of the neck? Is there any glue and tape for men that might have a sensitive scalp that will still offer a good bond? When I went to the only local salon that advertises hair replacement I was told that it is easy and just gets thrown on. My expectations were to hear the stylist talk about the details and actually show knowledge of the subject.

I was thinking about bonding it like this and adding 3 maybe 4 thin layers of clear glue to both sides of all the tap or some glue on the nap of the scalp where there isn't tap when I am ready:

I was also thinking about a hairstyle like the one on the top of this page with the sides and the back slightly thicker and the bangs just above the eyebrows: https://www.fashionbeans.com/2016/33-best-mens-fringe-haircuts/

chief fan

My Regimen
Reaction score
ok, thank you!
!
One more question - I like to keep my sides very short. Does that matter with a hair system or do you have to grow the sides out a bit to blend in with the hair system?

Also, if you don't mind would you PM me the name of the company you used and any others you may know that are good/reputable? Thanks again

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One more question - I like to keep my sides very short. Does that matter with a hair system or do you have to grow the sides out a bit to blend in with the hair system?

Also, if you don't mind would you PM me the name of the company you used and any others you may know that are good/reputable? Thanks again

My sides and back also very short when I first started. I don't know about other wearers but for me I would say my systems blend into my sides and back very good, pretty much undetectable. I think the most difficult part is to keep my front hairline look natural. I have almost fully exposed hairline and it take me sometime to get that natural look. It can be really stressful to achieve the effect of a natural hairline. I will PM you my supplier information.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know most/all of you wear just a top piece, but I think by the way my hair is committing suicide I might have to consider in a year or so a full cap. The hair on the sides and back wants to keep thinning and the only reason people......./QUOTE]

ple, When I meet new people, it isn't unusual for me to fit in and I have been given compliments by people on how I look. It feels good when people like you for how you look because you are real even if they are being superficial, but you see the same people condemning others for what society would consider a lesser appearance. I apologize if I am not explaining this correctly because at the moment I feel mentally unorganized. It's like now if I wear fake hair when girls are interested in being with me, people compliment, or I am told by elders I have nice genes ( awkward but nice to hear ) I can't accept any of that anymore because what they are looking at is FAKE. I like to and always want to feel good, look good, be successful and make people who are humble smile and feel acceptance. I asked my father about his hair told him I was losing mine and he laughed at me. I mean if we look around there are people that do things that are ten times stranger but are still accepted. I am just venting, I just finished this fall semester, and my grades took a hit ( surprised I passed ) because all I am thinking about is my youth/life ending when it just started to look promising. I have a perfectionist complex or am vain I guess idk. In my teenage years, my self-esteem was crushed and I was depressed because I suffered from pectus excavatum ( not genetic at least ) until I went through intense surgeries, physical therapy, and weight lifting to get a body that looks really good when I work out consistently. Alright, this is all pointless rambling, but I just want to figure out a way to be happy and I apologize to Hair Newbie because this is your thread. I keep looking at the $300 price tag for a full cap on Northwest lace, but is this a good place to buy from? I have heard other guys on these forums claim a man would have to have nuts of steel to wear a full cap and I am curious as to why because I was thinking about doubling my dose of finasteride. If you guys don't mind, I would like to know what the absolute best kind of bond would be for the back nap of the neck? Is there any glue and tape for men that might have a sensitive scalp that will still offer a good bond? When I went to the only local salon that advertises hair replacement I was told that it is easy and just gets thrown on. My expectations were to hear the stylist talk about the details and actually show knowledge of the subject.

I was thinking about bonding it like this and adding 3 maybe 4 thin layers of clear glue to both sides of all the tap or some glue on the nap of the scalp where there isn't tap when I am ready:

I was also thinking about a hairstyle like the one on the top of this page with the sides and the back slightly thicker and the bangs just above the eyebrows: https://www.fashionbeans.com/2016/33-best-mens-fringe-haircuts/

Hey Synergy,
I saw a lot of videos that wearers who have skin fade or bald fade on the sides and back can still easily blend in with the hair systems. The bald fade or skin fade haircut is very popular since 80s and I believe will continue to be a good men’s haircut choice. Maybe someone who wear a full cap can give you a better advice.

chief fan

My Regimen
Reaction score
My sides and back also very short when I first started. I don't know about other wearers but for me I would say my systems blend into my sides and back very good, pretty much undetectable. I think the most difficult part is to keep my front hairline look natural. I have almost fully exposed hairline and it take me sometime to get that natural look. It can be really stressful to achieve the effect of a natural hairline. I will PM you my supplier information.

chief fan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know you said you got yours pre-styled by the supplier. Regarding that, can you still style it any way you want, i.e. if you wanted bangs in front to cover hairline? Or is it essentially "locked in" to that particular style?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know you said you got yours pre-styled by the supplier. Regarding that, can you still style it any way you want, i.e. if you wanted bangs in front to cover hairline? Or is it essentially "locked in" to that particular style?

Yes, you can style unless they cut it really short like a Forrest Gump hairstyles. To me the hair system is like my own hair. When the hairpiece is wet I can easily manipulate to do whatever style I want by using blow dryer (I quit using blow dryer recently), a brush or fingers to style. Once the system attached to my scale, it's pretty much same as styling my own hair. If you go to the salon, you can also ask your hairdressers to help you find something that works best for you.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Undercut would work well though.

I'm a norwood 7 with thinned out temples area.

And yeah I wear for more than a dozen reasons.
And yes there are ALOT of shallow c**** out there.

My reasons for wearing a hair system:

Makes me look much younger.
Have the exact style I want as I dress alternative anyway.
It goes with 99% of my wardrobe, where slick shiny bald doesn't.
It makes me feel very happy about my look in the mirror and lessens my depression.
Lessens my anxiety.
I get much more compliments, a big fat ZERO slick bald,except for insults like 'have you got cancer?' As I'm slim too,pale af and weakly built. And have been bullied, constantly rejected and laughed at slick bald.
I look ugly slick bald as I got a massive 5 finger forehead,huge head, lumps bumps, features look out of propertion.
Keeps my head warm in cold weather.
I look about 45 bald, but 25 or younger with a hair system. And I'm 35.

Do you think you would be able to pull off the LD009 or LD034 that hair newbie posted though at a norwood 7? I really like the medium length or thinkness on my sides and back with a thicker top and bangs like the LD009. The LD034 type haircut I gave up on when I was like 17 and don't miss it because its to shaggy almost like an Owen Wilson type style. I wonder if that guy wears a system because his hair has never changed.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think you would be able to pull off the LD009 or LD034 that hair newbie posted though at a norwood 7? I really like the medium length or thinkness on my sides and back with a thicker top and bangs like the LD009. The LD034 type haircut I gave up on when I was like 17 and don't miss it because its to shaggy almost like an Owen Wilson type style. I wonder if that guy wears a system because his hair has never changed.

I'm a Norwood 7 and my base size is 7X9 inch. I ordered LD0039 and work out great for me

This is LD0039
LD0039.png

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using clipper to cut for myself last few years. Yes, I'm very cheap and hate going to the salon. Today is my first time using the clipper with the hair system on. Basically, I just fade down both sides and back using #2 and keep the hair system length on top.