My First Diy Hair System Experience.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wanted to share my non-surgical hair replacement experience. I'm 50 years old and I started to lose hair around 20 years ago. It got thinner every year so I have been wearing a baseball cap or hat for years. I didn't know anything about non surgical hair replacement (some people call Hair system, Hair piece, Toupee, Wigs...etc) until couple months ago when I saw some Youtube & Facebook videos. I started doing research and continue watched a lot of DIY videos regarding of the hair systems. I got pretty excited about it and decided to buy one for myself to try it. The company that I bought it from have a live chat function and the customer representative did a great job in answering all my questions. I bought my first stock hair system that cost around $160 USD (with some discount they offer for the first time buyer plus coupon code). It's a French Lace, Medium Light Density system,100% Indian Human hair and I also paid for the hair cutting and styling service that cost $20 USD extra and $10 extra cut the base down to my size which is 7X9 inch. The package shipped out from China and it arrived United States in less than 10 days (Free shipping too).

I took the customer representative suggestion using Walker Lace Front Support Tape around the perimeter (both sides and the back) and decided to try out three different adhesive for the hairline. So far, I've experiment using Walker Ultra hold adhesive, Ghost Bond Classic (Actually I order GB Platinum from Amazon but they send me a Classic instead) and Ultra Hold Mini Tabs and they all works good in a difference way. Btw, does anyone know what's the difference between Ghost Bond Classic and Platinum?

Anyway, I sleep and shower with the hair system on my scalp and shampoo every other days also with the system on. I remove the system from my scalp every 7-10 days for a full clean up. So far, I have no complaints at all. I'm a very active person that I go to the gym 3-6 times per week doing a lot of cardio on the treadmill which I sweat a lot on scalp that flows like a waterfall on my face. I shower and wash the hair system everyday sometime two times per day. The hair system it stays very secure on my scalp and can only be remove with either C-22 or Walker Lace Release solvent. I must say I'm very impressed with the Walker products which holds great. I watched a video of a guy wearing a hair system doing bungee jump, skydive and deep water scuba dive.....etc and I really believe I can do that with my hair system on too. Just last week I rode 3 hours motorcycle with the helmet on and do some outdoor hiking and camping with the system on and it was fine too. The hair was flat when I removed the motorcycle helmet so I spray some water and gently rub my fingers at the scalp to create lift for the hair and use a wide tooth comb to smooth hair back into shape. The only hair product I use is a "Not Your Mother's brand Leave-In Conditioner ". I do everything myself and really happy with the result. Everything fits well and my scalp didn't get irritated.

It was one of the best decisions I have ever made to buy a hair system and I wish I had discover a that years ago. After 15 plus years of wearing a cap, it is so great being able to style my own "FAKE" hair again. Hope this information help others who want to get a hair system.

The money I spend so far:

$160 Hair system
$14 Walker Lace Front Support Tape Roll
$12 Walker Positioning Spray
$9 Ultra Hold Mini Tabs
$20 Walker Lace Release Quart Bottle
$7 Walker Scalp Protector 1.4 oz Dab-on
$7 C-22 Citrus Solvent 4 Ounces
$13 Walker Ultro hold adhesive
$8 Not Your Mother's Leave-In Conditioner
$5 Styrofoam Mannequin Head

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Thanks for the very detailed account for your first days. I'm glad everything is going well for you. Your post will be very useful to other guys who are on the fence about hair replacement.

If you want to email your pics to me I will put them up on the post for you - emptyheaded1976@yahoo.co.uk

Noah

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Hair Newbie does the Indian human hair feel similar to your bio hair when you touch it. I started losing hair at 16, but finasteride helped me hold onto it until I was 23 and now at 24 its getting thinner and thinner causing me a lot of stress. When you guys clean your systems does it take forever and is it really complicated. I mean does it have to soak in some solution or do you just wipe off the old glue the best you can with some technique and reapply? I am not sure of your age Noah, but what has been your experience with wemen. While with a girl in bed do you obsess about her touching your hair or sweat causing it to loosen up, so if she pulls or bumps it it comes off. I can really only afford fifteen hundred a year on systems if I went this direction. I hear that you can get more time out of the French lace then you can the swiss except the hairline on the french can be a little more difficult to work with. My grandfather had a system and that's why I have hair loss, but because of living so far away I couldn't really inspect it or talk to him about it and now he's eighty and doesn't wear it anymore. I also wonder how many guys wear a system because so many men seem to somehow have hair, but by 20 25% of guys are already balding or bald. If I get a system I plan on disguising the hairline with some bangs, so maybe I could go with the French lace. I am still trying to fix my hair problem now, but if I can't a system will be my final resort. I just hope my bio hair holds up on the sides and back. I am also a medium light brown I think, but I could include a pic. On http://www.northwestlace.com
/stockpieces.html second row far right my hair color is very similar to that stock color.

Noah

Reaction score
IMG_2571.jpg IMG_2570.jpg IMG_2569.jpg

Here are Hair Newbie's photos. Nice hairline HN.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Synergy

For clean-up, it largely depends how long you leave it between maintenance sessions. If you keep the unit on for 3 weeks, the adhesives will have started to break down and mix with your body oils, the clean-up will be more time-consuming, and you will probably need to soak the piece. If you maintain every week, the adhesives will be pretty fresh and will come off fairly cleanly, and you may be able to clean the piece just with some cotton wool. Personally, I have 2 systems which I swap every week. I would recommend that - it doesn't cost any extra in the medium term, and it means you can do the cleaning whenever you have a spare moment during the week, and you don't have to hang around bald for a long period while you are cleaning and preparing your piece.

So far as women are concerned, I have no worries about my piece coming off or loosening up in bed - that definitely would never happen. I was a bit apprehensive when I first started wearing about women spotting that it's a system when they are literally centimetres away from the hairline, or maybe feeling the base or the bump made by the tape, but it's been 5+ years now and it's never happened, although I have a fairly active dating life, so I don't really think about it any more, although it's fair to say I don't actually encourage women to grab my hair in the throes LOL.

I think it's a fair bet that the toupee your granddad wore was very different from the modern lace systems you would be getting today - the technology has come a very long way in the last decade.

What are you currently doing for your hairloss?

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At the moment I am taking finasteride, low-level laser therapy and was doing minoxidil, but the minoxidil I feel is causing a disaster to my hair from the dryness. I might try some topical spironolactone and see how that goes. Otherwise, I have no clue because Avodart scares me. I am really afraid I might lose the bio hair on the sides and back as well, but hopefully not, so If I lose my hair on top a system is still an option after this fight.

Noah

Reaction score
Good luck with the meds, but keep an eye out for side effects: those are powerful disruptive drugs. Talk to us again if you are interested in trying the system alternative.

Noah

Steve Marz

My Regimen
Reaction score
At the moment I am taking finasteride, low-level laser therapy and was doing minoxidil, but the minoxidil I feel is causing a disaster to my hair from the dryness. I might try some topical spironolactone and see how that goes. Otherwise, I have no clue because Avodart scares me. I am really afraid I might lose the bio hair on the sides and back as well, but hopefully not, so If I lose my hair on top a system is still an option after this fight.

Do you have Diffused Unpattered Alopecia? I admit I am in my mid 40's but I went to a hair transplant doctor he said to me he THINKS I might have diffused unpattered Alopecia but he is not sure because of my age and I still have hair on the sides and back although I have fine thin hair. Doing hair replacement myself which my cut in will be on December 4. I will try to upload my photos when I do get it done.

https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/2014/12/19/what-is-dupa-diffuse-unpatterned-alopecia

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/answers/treating-dupa-with-propecia/

Pictures

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i......5..0j35i39j0i10j0i13i10j33i299.CTbB141KVSw

Last edited:

Steve Marz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Synergy

For clean-up, it largely depends how long you leave it between maintenance sessions. If you keep the unit on for 3 weeks, the adhesives will have started to break down and mix with your body oils, the clean-up will be more time-consuming, and you will probably need to soak the piece. If you maintain every week, the adhesives will be pretty fresh and will come off fairly cleanly, and you may be able to clean the piece just with some cotton wool. Personally, I have 2 systems which I swap every week. I would recommend that - it doesn't cost any extra in the medium term, and it means you can do the cleaning whenever you have a spare moment during the week, and you don't have to hang around bald for a long period while you are cleaning and preparing your piece.

So far as women are concerned, I have no worries about my piece coming off or loosening up in bed - that definitely would never happen. I was a bit apprehensive when I first started wearing about women spotting that it's a system when they are literally centimetres away from the hairline, or maybe feeling the base or the bump made by the tape, but it's been 5+ years now and it's never happened, although I have a fairly active dating life, so I don't really think about it any more, although it's fair to say I don't actually encourage women to grab my hair in the throes LOL.

I think it's a fair bet that the toupee your granddad wore was very different from the modern lace systems you would be getting today - the technology has come a very long way in the last decade.

What are you currently doing for your hairloss?

Noah I am doing salon as of now, I figure I will go every three weeks for my maintence, keep in mind I live in New York and we are in holiday season now, so should I go up every three weeks or should I make in sooner, my maintence is $150.00 plus $30.00 tip, I know it's crazy but I think going Salon first and learning is the better choice now until I understand more then do mail order hair system like Toplace or Lordhair or something. So is every three weeks ok in your opinion because of the weather here in NY as of now or would you go every two weeks to salon. Your opinion matters to me plenty. Thanks

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Hair Newbie does the Indian human hair feel similar to your bio hair when you touch it..

It looks and feel pretty natural like my own hair but thicker, my own hair is softer.

About cleaning up:
It took me about 30 mins to clean up the system.
I learned how to clean my system from youtube videos

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have Diffused Unpattered Alopecia? I admit I am in my mid 40's but I went to a hair transplant doctor he said to me he THINKS I might have diffused unpattered Alopecia but he is not sure because of my age and I still have hair on the sides and back although I have fine thin hair. Doing hair replacement myself which my cut in will be on December 4. I will try to upload my photos when I do get it done.

https://donovanmedical.com/hair-blog/2014/12/19/what-is-dupa-diffuse-unpatterned-alopecia

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/answers/treating-dupa-with-propecia/

Pictures

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i......5..0j35i39j0i10j0i13i10j33i299.CTbB141KVSw

Steve Marz

Thanks Steve for offering to upload pictures just in case I do have dupa. It's hard for me to say yes or no because when I was 16 I had ridiculously thick hair that would have been beyond a dream come true if I could have had it for half my life. When I started losing it at that age, I believe the sides and back did thin, but only half as fast as the top. I could have a combination of dupa and normal male pattern hair loss. When I started minoxidil and Nizoral three months ago I was only concerned about my thinning top. Now I am starting to worry about all of my hair. I really feel like me, Nizoral and minoxidil don't mix well because I lost like 60% of thickness all over in three months. I am gonna get myself tested for minoxidil allergies because after about 6 applications my scalp starts burning on the top, sides, and back. I haven't been using minoxidil now for four days and am only getting a slight tingle on the hairline and crown. I am using Lipogaine with no PG and hardly any alcohol. I also wen't for a hair transplant consultation and was told my hair at the back was thick enough for an FUE which made me laugh because they have no idea how thick the back used to be compared to now. I have heard bad stories about hair transplants if the hair on the back and sides isn't strong enough. Yeah, I guess if I don't have partly dupa then I could have telogen effluvium. All the guys on my father's side have either a slight thinning crown or Norwood three temple recession and the guys on my mothers side have 5 or six norwood, but not really diffuse anywhere. When my hair is wet I really feel like dirt because all of it has gotten really thin in the blink of an eye. I will double my dose of finasteride every other day while contemplating Avodart and before I talk to a derm. Otherwise how much area does a hairpiece typically cover because if I do have dupa maybe I can pull off a nice fade on the sides and back.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Noah,
Thanks for posting my photos. May I ask you what kind of base hair system are you currently using?
My 1st system was a full french lace and than I bought my 2nd system with thin skin on the sides / back and french lace in the front. I really like it because of the poly thin skin make cleaning so much easier. I just order the 3rd piece which is 0.06 mm super thin skin base (no lace) to try too. I would like to hear from you other users who have experience of using difference base systems. Thanks!

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was 35 years old (I'm 51 now) I took Propecia and using Rogaine for my thin hair for few years. I decided to quit because I don't see any result.

Noah

Reaction score
Noah,
Thanks for posting my photos. May I ask you what kind of base hair system are you currently using?
My 1st system was a full french lace and than I bought my 2nd system with thin skin on the sides / back and french lace in the front. I really like it because of the poly thin skin make cleaning so much easier. I just order the 3rd piece which is 0.06 mm super thin skin base (no lace) to try too. I would like to hear from you other users who have experience of using difference base systems. Thanks!

Hi Hair Newbie

I wear an all Swiss lace base, but I think your design of lace with thinskin edges at the back and sides is really good too, and as you say, gives you an easier clean-up.

Noah

Noah

Reaction score
Noah I am doing salon as of now, I figure I will go every three weeks for my maintence, keep in mind I live in New York and we are in holiday season now, so should I go up every three weeks or should I make in sooner, my maintence is $150.00 plus $30.00 tip, I know it's crazy but I think going Salon first and learning is the better choice now until I understand more then do mail order hair system like Toplace or Lordhair or something. So is every three weeks ok in your opinion because of the weather here in NY as of now or would you go every two weeks to salon. Your opinion matters to me plenty. Thanks

Hi Steve

The salon should be able to attach it so that it lasts 3 weeks. The hairline may deteriorate a bit during that time, and you may have to re-do it if your style has a visible hairline. You should get them to show you what to do if that happens. Also, the glue and tape will be pretty grungy after 3 weeks of wear, but i guess that is the salon's problem, although ultimately it may shorten the lifespan of your unit.

Noah

JJ18

My Regimen
Reaction score

Steve - I’m also in NY and trying to find a good sailing for a cut in. Who do you use? Thx.

SamNeill1993

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah--do you think it's better to start with a salon and going every 3 weeks for attach and reattach, or do you think it's best to learn how to do it all by yourself from the get go so that you know how to handle emergencies and what not?

Noah

Reaction score
Sam, it's obviously better to be self-sufficient, but there is a comfort to be had from having someone professional to support you at the start. It really depends whether they are going to be supportive, or just to tie you in. Maybe you could PM to website of the place you have in mind, and I will give you my take on it? If you want.

Noah