My Experience With Finasteride For 2 Years...

HairJourneyTingz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride 1mg for 2 years and it is the only thing that i've been taking since my hairline was receding however, the results have been a bit confusing.

When i first started my hair still had decent thickness however, it was quickly thinning and the right side of my scalp was dying quite quickly. Over the 1 and half year mark my hair began to really start thinning out and i can easily say that my entire scalp has thinned out significantly and i've lost alot of hair. Over the last 3 months, the left side of my scalp has started to shed a lot and caught up to the right side of my scalp. My crown has been affected the most as opposed to the front of my scalp.

For me personally, i think finasteride slowed down my hair loss, i do not think i gained nor maintained much hair.

I was wondering if i should start using minoxidil too?

thankyouu.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I've been on finasteride 1mg for 2 years and it is the only thing that i've been taking since my hairline was receding however, the results have been a bit confusing.

When i first started my hair still had decent thickness however, it was quickly thinning and the right side of my scalp was dying quite quickly. Over the 1 and half year mark my hair began to really start thinning out and i can easily say that my entire scalp has thinned out significantly and i've lost alot of hair. Over the last 3 months, the left side of my scalp has started to shed a lot and caught up to the right side of my scalp. My crown has been affected the most as opposed to the front of my scalp.

For me personally, i think finasteride slowed down my hair loss, i do not think i gained nor maintained much hair.

I was wondering if i should start using minoxidil too?

thankyouu.
Minoxidil with finasteride works better together than each by themselves. You won't know until you try. Just remember when using treatments it's trial and error. Most of the cases where photos were posted showed the most success where when the person was using both minoxidil and finasteride.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This sounds a lot like me. However, Im at 13 months currently and anecdotally heard that 40% of finasteride patients saw improvement after year one and 60% at the end of year 2 - so I’m still praying on this. Wouldn’t be surprised it takes your route though.

Nonetheless, I tried using minoxidil for 2 weeks and realized quickly it wasn’t for me. You will probably notice an immediate shed further than what you have right now and would have to use it pretty consistently to notice results - if thats sustainable then you are indeed more likely to see better results using the combination.