My advice to all dutasteride users

G

DrGrow said:
There is substantial Type I in your brain tissue. This has to be accountable for something. Remember also, Type I 5aR doesn't also just convert T to DHT, it has other conversion properties also.

In a recent report I read, which was also mentioned on this forum I believe, long term inhibition of Type I 5Ar is medically locked at causing/contributing to Alzheimers in the long run.

Remember, even though daily doseage at 0.5mg is recommended, this is to treat BPH.. and BPH goes away, male pattern baldness doesn't. When I speak of these effects, I speak of 2-3 yrs+ useage.

If your going to take dutasteride.. I will argue time and time again that 1 doseage per week is sufficient to halt hair loss, and with some extended play, regrowth.

To prove this, I'm going to take 1 Avodart capsule per week for 52 weeks and have some Cat scans done on Week 1, Week 26 and Week 52.

DrGrow.

DrGrow, Avodart once a week is less effective than 5 mg Proscar every day. Avodart once a week is probably equivalent to about 1.25 mg of Proscar every day, so people could just do that. I'm surprised you don't recommend that considering your fear of Avodart.

Pondle

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Pondle said:
Usually a 1-inch diameter circle, I believe.

If the regrowth was extrapolated out to all over the head, it could be 5000+ additional hairs on a head of 100,000. If you're talking about hairs in thinning areas only then that is a considerable amount.

JayMan, you're a dutasteride user, what do you think of the whole Alzheimer's risk theory?

G

Pondle said:
JayMan said:
Pondle said:

If the regrowth was extrapolated out to all over the head, it could be 5000+ additional hairs on a head of 100,000. If you're talking about hairs in thinning areas only then that is a considerable amount.

JayMan, you're a dutasteride user, what do you think of the whole Alzheimer's risk theory?

I've never even heard this theory and I've read a lot of information about dutasteride.

Care to link it?

My first thought is to assume that it's BS, but I'm interested to hear what docj and bryan think because they know more about the biological processes that dutasteride effects.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
bryan has already said that he thinks dutasteride should be pretty safe taken at the right dosages...but he does say that it should be taken with some caution..as much as we all love bryan he doesn't have all the answers to everything.

HughJass

Reaction score
we need some good science to help with this issue, not just opinions from various members who have been around the block

im anxiously awaiting for someone to post some sort of study up about this alzheimers risk. If there is good science behind it and a link were evident it would probably enough for me to either drastically cut back my dose or stop avodart altogether.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
we need some good science to help with this issue, not just opinions from various members who have been around the block

im anxiously awaiting for someone to post some sort of study up about this alzheimers risk. If there is good science behind it and a link were evident it would probably enough for me to either drastically cut back my dose or stop avodart altogether.
HAHA ill need to get alzheimers to actally stop taking it

Sean68

Reaction score
dont worry you wont be able to remember why you got it anyway!

HughJass

Reaction score
im still young

maybe they will have found a cure for alzheimer's by the time i need man nappies.

Pondle

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Pondle said:
JayMan said:
Pondle said:

I've never even heard this theory and I've read a lot of information about dutasteride.

Care to link it?

My first thought is to assume that it's BS, but I'm interested to hear what docj and bryan think because they know more about the biological processes that dutasteride effects.

The theory is discussed here... http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=34371

HughJass

Reaction score
what is the source of this article? all i can see is "Kofi kofi at anon.un"

Which doesnt sound too official.

And for starters:

"Conversely, inescapable stress which reduces
hippocampal neurogenesis also causes depression"

Is wrong. There is no evidence that depression is caused by organic mutation or change of any kind.

Are there any more articles or discussions about this topic floating about anywhere?

U2V

Reaction score
Okay, here's another question that may well be relegated to the retarded bin, but what the hell, nothing ventured an all that....

I'm on 1.25mg of proscar per day, plus 2% minoxidil only at night. After a year now it seems to have really done some good, and my crown (which was beginning to thin quite noticeably) is now restored to a point where it's no longer visible in the mirror anymore (whoohoo and all!!) but, I can't help wondering what benefits of dutasteride I'm missing out on as I continue with this regimin. So here's my question: If I continued with my daily dose of of finasteride, but added a weekly 0.5 mg of dutasteride into the mix, would that be of any use or would it just be stupid? Has anyone thought about doing something like that before, or even actually done it?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Every drug carries risks. Type 1 5 ar is in heavy concentrations in skin, brain. I dont think merk could tell us what removing that for 20 years will do to someone. The testing they did does not report on certain things. The skin is very complex structure they dont test collagen levels, elasticity levels, and all layers of skin. Anything in the skin could be effected by removing DHT from it. Premature wrinkles would certainly be possible as some people say. Propecia is scary, dutasteride would be more scary. I would rather go bald then take that, but I guess its individual choice.

Pondle

Reaction score
You're quite right that every drug carries risks. But everything in life carries risks. And Propecia isn't scary at all. It's been out for 15 years. We have a biological model for the effects of this drug - men with 5AR deficiency. They seem to live their lives reasonably happily.

Besides, if someone can point to real dangers created to dutasteride, let's have real studies in scientific journals, not unattributed pseudo-science like that "Kofi at the UN" nonsense.

abcdefg

Reaction score
It would be nice if we had studies to point to for everything, but with how much studies cost we could be waiting the rest of our lives. Studies also only study what we understand at the time. Dutasteride blocks the type of the enzyme that is found in high amounts in the brain and skin. It would be foolish to think DHT has no purpose in all these areas. Science cant figure out how to effectively transport things through the skin yet alone understand what DHT does to the skin in all the detail needed. All im saying I guess is remember we are inhibiting a very important conversion.