My advice to all dutasteride users

DrGrow

Reaction score
I have no intention on using scare tactics. I have nothing to gain in doing so. But let me just remind the dutasteride users that..

There is a measureable amount of Type I in the brain, and those in the Dominican Republic tested without DHT were ONLY Type II. So as of right now, no-one has a flying clue what inhibiting Type I (well alive in brain tissue) can cause whether it be short term or long term.

I have a very funny feeling.. an unbacked feeling that Glax didn't back out of dutasteride due to "similarity" issues.. but they caught onto the problems with this brain issue quite early and hit the retreat button.

I, of course, could be wrong. But just be aware, dutasteride does affect the brain.. and what that means medically, is unknown.

I would definately recommend staying away from the daily dose, even though people like JayMan swear by it.

DrGrow.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DrGrow said:
I have a very funny feeling.. an unbacked feeling that Glax didn't back out of dutasteride due to "similarity" issues.. but they caught onto the problems with this brain issue quite early and hit the retreat button.
DrGrow.
you forgot that it is an approved medicine and its on the market
if it was so dangerous they wouldnt approve it for BPH in the first place
its good to have feelings but you should back them up with facts if you want to make those accusations

DrGrow

Reaction score
dutasteride is approved ONLY for BPH on a short term use. It wasn't even remotely cleared anywhere near safe to use for Hair Loss, let alone on a longer term useage.

Even Glax does not know what is considered a safe doseage for the treatment of Hair Loss. A safe doseage is the minimum doseage to be taken, with enough effect to improve hair quality with minimal sides. And Glax couldn't even confirm THAT let alone all the outstanding issues.

If your going to use, just be careful, get yourself monitored by a doctor and do not exceed two capsules a week. Thats MY recommendation, doesn't mean I'm correct. It's from observation of peoples experiences ontop of the medical research I've done on dutasteride.

As for my feelings on why dutasteride withdrew from its go ahead to push for dutasteride as a Hair Loss drug, I stated it was "unbacked", which automatically tells you, I have no proof, but going on what I think is a big hunch in my experience.

DrGrow.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i plan to reduce the dose to 2 caps a week as soon as i get the full benefits of regrowth dutasteride can give me ,that could take 2 years
glax said they stopped because of financial reasons ,i choose to belive them

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr.Grow,

Are you sure that dutasteride was only approved for "short term use" for BPH?

Also, I was not aware that there were different standards for FDA approval (i.e. BPH vs. male pattern baldness).

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
So according to this study, women have less type 1 than men http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v109/ ... 0071a.html

So it is such a major issue to inhibit 50% of a man's type 1? I mean, if women can live healthy lives with less...

yes, men will start complaining all the time, only talk about themselves, have terrible depth perception while parking a car and be hazardous during lane changes and traffic merges

chowmein

Reaction score
roki said:

Really? You are kidding right?

I have very little trust in GlaxoSmithKline after the whole Seroxat scandal - Glaxo's anti-depressant drug which actually casued a great deal of children to end their own lives!

..."GSK carried out trials of Seroxat on children from the late 1990s at the request of the American drug regulator, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

But the results were kept secret because they showed that the drug had no more effect than a placebo, while there were some worrying side-effects. Of those on Seroxat, 3.2% suffered mood changes including thoughts of suicide, attempted suicide and trying to harm themselves - compared to 1.5% on placebo.

A document revealed in the Guardian earlier this year showed that GSK was determined to bury the bad news as long ago as 1998. An internal strategy document proposed that GSK should not hand the data from two trials to the regulators.

To admit the drug did not work in children would be "commercially unacceptable ... as this would undermine the profile of paroxetine (Seroxat/Paxil)".
[/b]

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
chowmein said:
roki said:

I have very little trust in GlaxoSmithKline after the whole Seroxat scandal - Glaxo's anti-depressant drug which actually casued a great deal of children to end their own lives!

..."GSK carried out trials of Seroxat on children from the late 1990s at the request of the American drug regulator, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
did anybody go to prison for that?
But the results were kept secret because they showed that the drug had no more effect than a placebo, while there were some worrying side-effects. Of those on Seroxat, 3.2% suffered mood changes including thoughts of suicide, attempted suicide and trying to harm themselves - compared to 1.5% on placebo.

A document revealed in the Guardian earlier this year showed that GSK was determined to bury the bad news as long ago as 1998. An internal strategy document proposed that GSK should not hand the data from two trials to the regulators.

To admit the drug did not work in children would be "commercially unacceptable ... as this would undermine the profile of paroxetine (Seroxat/Paxil)".
[/b]
did anyone go to prison for that?

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
chowmein said:
roki said:

[/b]

I remember my "doctor" calling me up and asking me did he prescribe me Seroxat! I was taking something else though. Im pretty sure he should have known that lol.

CCS

Reaction score
they studied it for BHP years before paying for FDA phaseII trials for hair loss. Why would they even test it for hair loss, and pay for this, if they already know about it from extensive BHP testing? And why did they test 2.5mg per day (5 pills) for 6 months on some people for hair loss? I suspect they tested 2.5mg on the BHP people too, and knew the side effects, but just chose to test it on the hair because the effecacy was unknown.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
please there are people that take avodart daily for years anyway because of legit prostate problems and are fine. they know the long term effects of the drug... using it to treat male pattern baldness was just a new venture and they didn't have the finances to get it approved for that also.

DrGrow

Reaction score
There is substantial Type I in your brain tissue. This has to be accountable for something. Remember also, Type I 5aR doesn't also just convert T to DHT, it has other conversion properties also.

In a recent report I read, which was also mentioned on this forum I believe, long term inhibition of Type I 5Ar is medically locked at causing/contributing to Alzheimers in the long run.

Remember, even though daily doseage at 0.5mg is recommended, this is to treat BPH.. and BPH goes away, male pattern baldness doesn't. When I speak of these effects, I speak of 2-3 yrs+ useage.

If your going to take dutasteride.. I will argue time and time again that 1 doseage per week is sufficient to halt hair loss, and with some extended play, regrowth.

To prove this, I'm going to take 1 Avodart capsule per week for 52 weeks and have some Cat scans done on Week 1, Week 26 and Week 52.

DrGrow.

G

DrGrow said:
There is substantial Type I in your brain tissue. This has to be accountable for something. Remember also, Type I 5aR doesn't also just convert T to DHT, it has other conversion properties also.

In a recent report I read, which was also mentioned on this forum I believe, long term inhibition of Type I 5Ar is medically locked at causing/contributing to Alzheimers in the long run.

Remember, even though daily doseage at 0.5mg is recommended, this is to treat BPH.. and BPH goes away, male pattern baldness doesn't. When I speak of these effects, I speak of 2-3 yrs+ useage.

If your going to take dutasteride.. I will argue time and time again that 1 doseage per week is sufficient to halt hair loss, and with some extended play, regrowth.

To prove this, I'm going to take 1 Avodart capsule per week for 52 weeks and have some Cat scans done on Week 1, Week 26 and Week 52.

DrGrow.

Cool.

BTW, DrGrow, are you a medical doctor?

Pondle

Reaction score
DrGrow said:

DrGrow.

My point was that, if women have half the type 1 that men do, and do not have a higher prevalence of Alzheimer's, then surely that indicates that over the long term lower levels of type 1 make no difference to health outcomes.

Unless women have FUNDAMENTALLY different brain chemistry to men and are protected from the development of Alzheimer's by other processes. If so, what are those other processes?

BTW I thought it had been established that 2.5mg of Dutas is the 'best' dosage for regrowth?
DuthaircountsversusFin.gif

G

IBM said:
Only 100 more hair threads???? That's very low.

I don't know what hair threads are, but they grew 100 more hair per unit area I believe. I'm not sure what the area was though.

G

Pondle said:
Usually a 1-inch diameter circle, I believe.

If the regrowth was extrapolated out to all over the head, it could be 5000+ additional hairs on a head of 100,000. If you're talking about hairs in thinning areas only then that is a considerable amount.