My 10 Years Of Alternative Treatments

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As someone who has dabbled with many treatments what do u think of someone switching from finasteride to dutasteride?

I've heard many horror stories of people losing ground on their hairline when switching over. A guy even showed me some of his own pics.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I tried dutasteride for about 6 months and was underwhelmed with any improvements. I did not see any difference but I may not have given it enough time. I stopped finasteride about 3 years after that because of side effects.
As someone who has dabbled with many treatments what do u think of someone switching from finasteride to dutasteride?

I've heard many horror stories of people losing ground on their hairline when switching over. A guy even showed me some of his own pics.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I tried dutasteride for about 6 months and was underwhelmed with any improvements. I did not see any difference but I may not have given it enough time. I stopped finasteride about 3 years after that because of side effects.

Thanks. Did it work less effectively than finasteride or did it just not provide any more benefit than finasteride?

How much do u think scalp inflammation influences hair loss?

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wait do u apply keto and castor oil once a week or each night? U mentioned both.

How do u manage to apply castor oil to ur long hair? It's so damn thick

Amy reason why u dropped retin a? Seemed like u were a big proponent.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I feel like dutasteride woked as well but not any better than finasteride and much more expensive especially given you can buy finasteride so cheap at walmart. I think inflammation and stress play a huge role not only in hair loss but a lot of disease. That is one of the reasons I stopped taking hot showers or at least keeping the hot water off my scalp.

Thanks. Did it work less effectively than finasteride or did it just not provide any more benefit than finasteride?

How much do u think scalp inflammation influences hair loss?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Most of the time it's nightly, sometimes I get lazy and slack off but at the very least it's once a week. I use the castor on my crown only these days and apply foam first, then drop a few drops of castor oil and mix it all together with a dab of keto cream. You don't need a whole lot and the minoxidil helps the viscosity of the castor oil and allows it to spread. I've also use minoxidil liquid and much more castor oil ll over my scalp. By morning it's usually manageable but my pillows get messy.

Retin A is really good and I think it made a difference but my scalp got so sensitive to it I could only use it rarely.

Wait do u apply keto and castor oil once a week or each night? U mentioned both.

How do u manage to apply castor oil to ur long hair? It's so damn thick

Amy reason why u dropped retin a? Seemed like u were a big proponent.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I feel like dutasteride woked as well but not any better than finasteride and much more expensive especially given you can buy finasteride so cheap at walmart. I think inflammation and stress play a huge role not only in hair loss but a lot of disease. That is one of the reasons I stopped taking hot showers or at least keeping the hot water off my scalp.

I'm def with you on that. It irks me when people claim stress has no bearing on male pattern baldness. I also think lack of sleep can induc alopecia areata which I also had. Do u have any tips for better sleep?

Have u ever tested to see how much spironolactone has dropped ur T/dht levels? I find it interesting finasteride gave you sides but spironolactone did not yet spironolactone lowers several androgens as a result of lowering T.

Last edited:

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome back casperz!
You mentioned a low carb/ high fat diet. I have been on the "keto" diet for the last 4 weeks and have also noticed my hair becoming thicker. I didn't think there was a connection between low carb diets and thicker hair?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah there must be some DHT connection that spironolactone does not effect but I don't have a clue. I had a workup at my doctor about a year ago and he said my T levels were perfect . One thing that helped my sleep a ton better was using progesterone on my scalp right before bedtime. It makes you really drowsy. I don't use it currently but I think it helped my hair but seemed to cause headaches.

I'm def with you on that. It irks me when people claim stress has no bearing on male pattern baldness. I also think lack of sleep can induc alopecia areata which I also had. Do u have any tips for better sleep?

Have u ever tested to see how much spironolactone has dropped ur T/dht levels? I find it interesting finasteride gave you sides but spironolactone did not yet spironolactone lowers several androgens as a result of lowering T.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't remember reading anything about Keto affecting hair but I do know fat helps hair growth.

I think a lot of small changes really add up to visible changes in hair quality but it's so hard to identify what those small changes are and what does not hep because results are so slow. It's taken me 10 years to get to this point so it's a very slow process and I've had a lot of set backs. And I'm under no illusion that this hair is mine to keep because I really don't know exactly what my secret sauce has been. For me to sit here and say do this and this and this and your hair will grow back would be pretty arrogant since I really have no clue what the proper combination is and neither do all the experts. I do know that my regime that I'm on has been working for me for at least two years without a major shed. So I'm really hesitant to make even the slightest change. And in the back of my mind I know that someday I will start to shed again and things will go to sh*t.

Welcome back casperz!
You mentioned a low carb/ high fat diet. I have been on the "keto" diet for the last 4 weeks and have also noticed my hair becoming thicker. I didn't think there was a connection between low carb diets and thicker hair?

Rolandconil

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry for my English
do you use castor oil? as I understand it has indigents similar to Brotzu lotion.
brotzu uses liposomes to deliver indigents to hair follicles.
you have not tried this method?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Miconazole, does it work?

Yes it seems to but I did not stick with it for any length of time because it was no better than other things. There are posts here were guys got some great regrowth using it alone.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No side effects this far. Took several years of finasteride to see side effects though so I'm watching for them on spironolactone.

Any side effects from spironolactone ?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes I use castor oil.

sorry for my English
do you use castor oil? as I understand it has indigents similar to Brotzu lotion.
brotzu uses liposomes to deliver indigents to hair follicles.
you have not tried this method?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What kind of side effects did you have on finasteride ?
All the bad things you've heard and not believed probably, I never believed them until it happened to me. I've never been a depressed type of person and I realized that had crept up on me. I was finding no joy in anything, I was getting more body fat than I ever had and I felt tired all the time. Once I stopped finasteride without any other changes everything was back to normal within weeks. The difference in the way I felt was amazing.

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Casperz
How has your hairline responded to treatment? And what are the best hairline treatments in ur opinion?
Do u have any pics of ur hairline exposed?

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Casperz
How has your hairline responded to treatment? And what are the best hairline treatments in ur opinion?
Do u have any pics of ur hairline exposed?

The frontal re-growth has not been great but I have always brushed my hair forward so it's not an issue that I care
about at all. The thickness in the mid-scalp more than covers the front. If I were to wear it with my hairline showing it would look like see through hair and I'd look really thin for sure. The bottom line is my hair is still really thin/sparse but the regrowth I have gotten hides the thinness pretty well if I wear it right. I'm resigned to never having the head of hair had when I was 16.

I don't have any camera pictures but the magnified picture I posted last week shows some baby hairs I'm watching and trying to get to grow bigger on my hairline using 15% minoxidil just on that area. It seems like not much works on the hairline compared to mid/crown area for me so I can't really offer any advise.