Muscles of the scalp in relation to hair systems

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I normally wear swiss lace and changed adhesive from silicone to Ghost bond. I started to notice a pulling feeling when I turned my head a certain way or lifted my head straight back. Like any slack in the system was being pulled tighter as my head moved in certain positions and had an annoying rubbing feeling. It was driving me nuts then I tried adding more adhesive is supporting areas and it stopped. I then used a mono based unit for 4 months and did not feel any slack or pulling at all the whole time. I believe because the base is some much thicker and less looseness. I then went back to lace and the pulling sensation instantly started. I had to pull it up and reinforce it with adhesive for it to stop.

My question is: Are actual muscles flexing in the scalp and pulling the base tighter causing a rubbing sensation? Has anyone experienced this? Again it's only when some looseness in the base is present and what the head is turned or chin pulled up and head back fully.

Noah

Reaction score
I'm no medic, but I would have said that on the classic "toupee" coverage area there was no muscle activity which would cause tension. I am in the 10% of the population which can wiggle its ears, and the muscles used for that also cause my scalp to move, but it moves as a single unit, so I don't feel any tension on my unit.

If your system is larger than the average coverage area, it may be extending into areas where there is muscle activity. Is that what might be happening here?

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm no medic, but I would have said that on the classic "toupee" coverage area there was no muscle activity which would cause tension. I am in the 10% of the population which can wiggle its ears, and the muscles used for that also cause my scalp to move, but it moves as a single unit, so I don't feel any tension on my unit.

If your system is larger than the average coverage area, it may be extending into areas where there is muscle activity. Is that what might be happening here?
It for sure could be...I wear a 7x9 base

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The top of your scalp is not muscle, it's fibrous tissue, the muscles surround it... it's not going to move, especially the area that is covered by your hair system (except for maybe the front and rear edges... but not my very much).

image-11.jpg

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The top of your scalp is not muscle, it's fibrous tissue, the muscles surround it... it's not going to move, especially the area that is covered by your hair system (except for maybe the front and rear edges... but not my very much).

View attachment 172145
I'm now thinking that since the muscles are on the side and back that they tense up during certain movements and when the adhesive is not sufficient. It pulls

Redeye Ninja

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm now thinking that since the muscles are on the side and back that they tense up during certain movements and when the adhesive is not sufficient. It pulls
And because there is a bit of give in lace whereas in poly/thin skin there is not just like mono. If properly secured it won't happen. Lace is secured better with tape and clean up isn't a headache then.

I tried mono once and never will again. It's very detectable,not as breathable as lace and scratchy material.
And mono usually has to have a poly border or can fray easily too.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Weirdly enough, I'm sitting in my room waiting for the glue on my head to dry, and I've made the decision to raise my hairline fractionally, so that the unit doesn't sit on the area where my 'frown' muscles are. I accidentally did this last time, and I had none of the usual issues of hairline lift. I think when the unit sits ever so slightly on this area, the movement loosens the bond.