Missing Pixels Story | Fighting A Receding Hairline | Age 27

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to share my story in case it’s of use to anyone in a similar situation.

Background

Born in 1990. 27 years old at the start of my journey (Jan 2018).
Norwood 2.5ish
Problem Area Hairline and temples.

Health

Lifestyle
Active enough to not consider my lifestyle sedentary, No known health concerns.
Physique Average, slightly thin.
Drugs/Alcohol Non-smoker, Light drinker, no recreational drugs.

Regimen (Updated)

Original Regimen
(Jan 2018 - Nov 2020)*

- Rogaine Minoxidil Foam 5% (Twice Daily)
- Nizoral Ketoconazole Shampoo 2% (Once Weekly)

New Regimen (Nov 2020 - Present)*

-
Finasteride 1mg tablet (Once Daily)
- Rogaine Minoxidil Foam 5% (Once Daily)

*My regimen's evolution didn't happen as strictly as these dates imply. However at the current timescale of my journey it is probably not worth mentioning the few weeks when I was doing one thing but not another.

Every man in my family is bald. Growing up I hoped I would get lucky and somehow be spared, but when I looked in the mirror at age 25 and noticed my hairline starting to look ragged I knew I was done for.

…or so I thought. After spending two years depressed, I decided I would try to do something about my hairloss.

In late January 2018, I started using minoxidil. I didn’t really notice any increase in shedding, but around week 5 I looked in the mirror and saw some tiny, colored hairs down the sides of my temples. I wasn’t sure if I just hadn’t noticed these before, but in a couple weeks there were more tiny hairs along my hairline.

I know it's really early days, but two and a half months in I’m very happy with my progress so far. I’ve tried taking pics, however my inability to get a sharp photo somewhat downplays the regrowth. Regardless I’ve attached three photos of my right temple. The first is from 1 month in, and the second and third are from 2 months in. (The third is from a different angle.) None of the small hairs existed at baseline.

Over the next 8 - 12 months I plan on introducing the rest of the Big Three into my regimen. I’m going to do this slowly because I want to make sure I fully understand how my body reacts to each product before I move onto the next. I’m planning on introducing Nizoral into the mix around month 8, and finasteride around the 1 year mark.

Anyways, I feel like I’ve had the typical positive-but-average results that people don’t really bother writing about on hair loss forums. Just thought I would share my story to help fill in that void.

1-month.jpg
2-month-1.jpg
2-month-2.jpg

Last edited:

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
Passed the 3 month mark a little while ago. Just thought I would make a quick update.

A few weeks ago I went to the pharmacy to stock up on more Rogaine foam. I noticed the pharmacy placed Nizoral right beside the minoxidil products so I decided to pick it up as well. I was originally going to wait longer before trying nizoral, but I figured what the heck.

I came home, started reading the instructions and I realized it was the 2% ketoconazole version. I didn't think this was available off the shelf, but apparently it is in my neck of the woods.

Anyways, it appears Nizoral has had a positive effect on my shedding.

Before I started treating my hairloss, I found hairs on my pillow, at my desk, in my car....basically anywhere I spent a lot of time. After my light minoxidil shed I began to only see a few stands coming out when washing my hair. After four applications of nizoral over the course of two weeks, shedding has virtually stopped.

There seems to be some kind of synergy between ketoconazole and minoxidil. I don't think I waited long enough to fully rule out that it isn't all the work of minoxidil alone, but seeing how I haven't experienced any sides from Nizoral (yet) I'm pretty excited to continue to using it.

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
As I near the 6 month mark of my treatment I figured it was about time for an update.

Basically my hairline is holding steady. I haven't taken a comparison pic for a while so when I took the photo for 5.5 months I was pleasantly surprised that very little had changed since the 2 month photo. The biggest difference is about 20% of the new, small hairs have actually continued to grow.

In addition to my minoxidil I've continued to use Nizoral twice a week. I use conditioner immediately after the nizoral so my hair has remained healthy looking (fortunately). I've considered bumping nizoral up to every other day, but I don't want to upset my current balance.

Anyways, almost 6 months in and no sides, no shedding, no changes. I'm pretty happy with that. :)

e86f0E3.jpg

german89

Established Member
Reaction score
hi

to begin with: i dont think that you are a Norwood 2.5... more a nw2 by judging your pics. no agressive form of hairloss, you barely notice any kind of hairloss in fact... and that without finasteride..... already 27.... maybe the genetic gods were just nice to you.

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
hi

to begin with: i dont think that you are a Norwood 2.5... more a nw2 by judging your pics. no agressive form of hairloss, you barely notice any kind of hairloss in fact... and that without finasteride..... already 27.... maybe the genetic gods were just nice to you.
Thanks for your feedback. Yes I'm definitely fortunate that my hair loss is on the slow side. However I know it's relentless, it will get me in the end. Hopefully minoxidil/nizoral will hold it at bay for a while, and finasteride once my regimen inevitably starts losing the battle.

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a little over 7 months on minoxidil and about 3.5 months using nizoral. My hairline is holding, nothing really to report. HOWEVER something interesting happened recently.

My Dad and I go to the same barber. During my Dad's last visit, the barber said he thought I wasn't going to go bald. The barber said "he isn't showing any signs of balding at his age so he's probably keeping his hair!"

Of course this isn't true. My hairline is receding as my photos show. (And not to mention some men keep their hair into their 40s/50s before they begin balding.) BUT it's a big confidence boost knowing that someone who routinely is up close and personal with my hair hasn't noticed any changes in my hairline.

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm back again with another update. 10 months in and I'm holding steady. While my hairline has remained more or less the same, the biggest change I've experienced is mental: I've been freed.

I'm no longer chained to the depression and anxiety that stemmed from my hairline receding. I'm not saying I think I've beat hair loss, and I'm not saying I think Rogaine and Nizoral are a permanent solution without a proper DHT blocker. I'm just saying that my regimen has alleviated the suffocating depression associated with losing my hair and turned hair loss into a problem that has solutions.

Since January I've applied minoxidil roughly 600 times, and since April I've applied Nizoral nearly 50 times. Here are my personal experiences with some of the common questions/observations I read on the forum.

Has minoxidil affected my libido?
No, at least not directly. However it could be argued that indirectly it has increased due to my improved mental health.

Has minoxidil affected my complexion?
No, my skin and face remain unchanged. It doesn't seem to affect my hair either.

Does either minoxidil or nizoral give me headaches?
No.

Does Nizoral dry out my hair?
It will if I don't use conditioner. With conditioner everything is fine.

Has repeated use of 2% Nizoral had any negative affect on my scalp?
No. I had even considered increasing my usage to every other day but I decided not to push my luck.

Is the routine tiresome?
Not at all. I can see how the concept of applying Rogaine every day indefinitely can seem daunting. But it's not. If you're considering trying minoxidil, ask yourself, do you brush your teeth daily? Do you shower daily? Probably. Think of all the people who take medication daily. It's no big deal. I feel like it's my privilege to be able to apply some magical foam to my hairline and stabilize my hair loss.

Has Rogaine caused unwanted hair growth elsewhere on my body?
Not really. I think my body hair may have become slightly thicker in the first couple months, but it hasn't continued thickening. Also, since I'm applying to my hairline, I get a lot of accidental coverage on my forehead. No weird hairs have ever grown in an unusual place on my forehead.

Do I go through sheds?
Yes, but they have been very minor. I mean in the range of going from virtually no shedding to finding a couple strands on my pillow and losing 10 in the shower for a few days in a row. This has probably happened 3 times over the past 10 months.

However my shedding is hard to gauge. I've let my hair grow out. My hair is slightly longer then Russel Brand's now. I think at this length, some shedding due to weight and tangles is to be expected.

10-months.jpg

Last edited:

Notanuther1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would like to see updates if you have any. I am 17 and considering using minoxidil since I was diagnosed with early male pattern baldness. I already need to start nizoral as I have sebborheuc dermatis...Thanks.

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
For a couple weeks I started getting paranoid that my hairline was getting worse. I decided to take a new photo (the first time in half a year). To my pleasant surprise not much has changed.

Minoxidil twice daily and nizoral once a week seems to still be working fine, but I am planning on adding a derma roller into the mix soon.

Would like to see updates if you have any. I am 17 and considering using minoxidil since I was diagnosed with early male pattern baldness. I already need to start nizoral as I have sebborheuc dermatis...Thanks.

While I would recommend Rogaine and Nizoral, if you're experiencing male pattern baldness at just 17 you're going to need more than minoxidil and ketoconazole in your arsenal.

Attachments

• 15-months.jpg
    15-months.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 490

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
1.5 Years Into Regimen -- Just checking in, not much to say aside from everything is going alright. Still haven't added a derma roller into the mix, though.

Recently I switched my Rogaine application method. Instead of dispensing the foam onto my finger tips and applying to my scalp I've just been turning the canister upside down, holding it as straight as possible, and dispensing directly onto my hairline. I made this change primarily because of the summer heat making the foam harder to work with, however it seems this method also has the benefit of getting more of the product onto my scalp and less absorbed into my hair (I have long hair).

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
2.5 Years Into Regimen -- Everything is still going fine. One change that has happened is that I've been applying rogaine progressively higher up around my temples. My hairline isn't moving, it's just the area I need to apply the foam is slowly increasing. However my regimen still seems to be stabilizing my hair where I apply it.

Shedding has been weirdly absent. In the past I would notice an increase in shedding as my hair grew longer. My hair is now the longest it has ever been (I haven't had a haircut in months due to COVID-19) yet I'm not shedding that much.

I have purchased a 1.5mm derma roller and have done one session on my hairline. I will report back when I get the hang of it.

Mr. Prince

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you noticed any regrowth in your hairline area? Specifically the temples?

HairlineOfGod

My Regimen
Reaction score
You aren't applying Finasteride right ?

If i can give you an advice : Go Propecia or your results won't last.

I did the same mistake, i regret not starting finasteride because i was afraid of side. I lost after 3 years all the gains i had on minoxidil alone.
I started Dermarolling recently and it's doing really good improvments, so stick with it !

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nearly 3 Years Into Regimen - About a month ago I started noticing that I was losing density at my crown. As I have previously mentioned, although my hairline isn't moving, the area that I need to apply Rogaine is increasing. I'm still happy with my hair, but it's obvious things are slipping. I decided that this is the perfect time to hop on finasteride.

I have been taking finasteride 1mg daily for two weeks. Zero sides. I have heard that some men can develop sides as late as 6 months into treatment so I'm not considering myself out of the woods yet. But right now I'm in the clear.

In my previous post I mentioned I bought a 1.5mm derma roller. I tried it once and decided it was not for me. I'm concerned about infection and scarring my scalp. Perhaps if finasteride doesn't work out I will try it again, or I might use a 0.25mm roller to help with Rogaine absorption.

I plan to continue using Rogaine and Nizoral alongside oral finasteride. It appears my Rogaine experience was inline with what a lot of people say. Results are good for about 2-2.5 years, then things start to trail off.

I know a lot of men don't recommend using Rogaine as the first weapon against male pattern baldness, but I feel like it was the right choice for me. When I started losing my hair I was panic struck. Minoxidil was like pressing a button that put everything into ultra slow-mo. It allowed me to calm down, get into a better mental state, man up, and get on finasteride. I think a lot of younger men delay or don't do anything about their hairloss because they are too scared of the treatments. Topical minoxidil is OTC, proven to work, and doesn't have ominous sides. As long as the hairloss sufferer knows when it's time to take their regimen to the next level, I see no harm in taking advantage of Rogaine's ease-of-entry to get the ball rolling.

Have you noticed any regrowth in your hairline area? Specifically the temples?

When I first started minoxidil I noticed some new hairs at my temples/hairline. A small percentage of them continued to grow beyond baby hairs, but overall regrowth has been minor. My derma rolling experience is inconclusive as I only did it once. My regimen has only stopped/stabilized my hair loss. It hasn't provided any tangible regrowth.

You aren't applying Finasteride right ?

If i can give you an advice : Go Propecia or your results won't last.

I did the same mistake, i regret not starting finasteride because i was afraid of side. I lost after 3 years all the gains i had on minoxidil alone.
I started Dermarolling recently and it's doing really good improvments, so stick with it !

Good advice, I am now on finasteride.

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
3 Years Into Regimen - It has almost been 6 weeks since I've added 1mg finasteride to my regimen. Thankfully still no sides. I had a minor shed around week 2-3. I'm not really sure if it was caused by the finasteride or if it was just a natural cycle I was going through.

I also might be seeing some regrowth. I've started to notice tiny black hairs along my hairline and temples, though they are very small. Perhaps they have always been there and I'm just looking closer at my hairline than I have for a while. In a week or two I'll be able to tell if they are actually growing or not.

As stated in the opening post, every man in my family is bald. Most of them had significantly receded by this point. The fact I have maintained the vast majority of my hair up to this point is incredible.

Last edited:

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for three months now. Still no sides, everything seems to be normal. For some reason worrying about gyno recently popped into my head. I have become hyper aware of my pectoral area but fortunately haven't experienced any signs of gyno.

I have made some major changes to my regimen as well. I've started using Rogaine once a day instead of twice. With finasteride now in my arsenal I have been less motivated to maintain a strict minoxidil routine. Using it once daily better fits my lifestyle and I haven't experienced any setbacks by making this switch. Also, I have stopped using nizoral. My hair looked/felt healthy when I followed nizoral with a conditioner, however I started wondering if its harshness was messing up the tiny hairs that I'm trying to grow. I decided to stop using it for now.

Regrowth is definitely happening. There are a few dozen mini hairs 3-5mm in length scattered along and below my hairline. This is not enough to to make me feel like I have more hair than I did three months ago, but it indicates finasteride is definitely working. The tiny black hairs I previously mentioned don't appear to have grown, however I've noticed that they create what almost looks like a soft shadow on my skin. I'm not sure if this will evolve into anything, I'll probably know by the 6 month mark.

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
3.5 Years Into Regimen, 7 Months on Finasteride - Still doing 5% minoxidil once a day, as well as 1mg of oral finasteride. No sides and everything is fine. The few dozen mini hairs below my hairline have continued to grow, but I'm seeing the most regrowth just above my hairline. A week ago I noticed that if I pull my long hair back a few hundred 10-15mm hairs stick up just above my hairline.

MissingPixels

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've taken any pics! Attached is my 42 month (~3.5 year) progress update.

It's kind of hard to tell if I'm better off compared to my 15 month pic or about the same. The new growth can be spotted just above my hairline by looking closely for hairs pointing forward instead of pulled back with my longer hair.

Having trouble noticing much difference in two pics that were taken 2+ years apart seems good to me :)

Attachments

• 42-months.jpg
    42-months.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 262