Miscellaneous Tv/film Discussion Thread

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Right now, I like The Blindspot, The Blacklist, Walking Dead, Lucifer, Scorpion, The Good Doctor, Leathal Weapon, Riverdale( very Twin Peaks like), The Flash, Arrow( starting to lose interest in this show), Big Bang Theory, Little Sheldon( this is one of the best new shows), Dynasty( not really great but hoping it gets better),The Resident( The Good Doctor is alot better than this show), Gotham( losing interest) and 911.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
The length of the show is what puts me off for House.

I have watched the first three episodes but knowing that I have 120 hours to go...

I'll probably dive into it at a point, I heard it had a lot of red pill moments;

Yea Everytime I see a show has like a bazillion seasons I am reluctant to start it

Of shows I've watched over the last 1.5-2 years

Shows I loved:
The Man in the High Castle
Altered Carbon
The Expanse Season 1
Limitless
The Path seasons 1 and 2
Dexter (loved seasons 1-4, was meh on the rest)
Death Note (the anime show, NOT the bullshit netflix movie adaptation)

Shows I really liked:
Stranger Things
Better Call Saul seasons 1 and 2
Ozark
Bates motel season 4 (was meh on season 5)
Walking dead season 7
American horror story season 6
Game of Thrones season 7
Big Mouth
Murder in the first

Guilty Pleasure shows(I enjoy watching teeny-bopper sh*t from time to time):
Riverdale season 1
Scream seasons 1 and 2

I've watched other shows but these are ones that stick out to me

Also somehow I forgot to include Archer! That's like my favorite show

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Yea Everytime I see a show has like a bazillion seasons I am reluctant to start it

Also somehow I forgot to include Archer! That's like my favorite show
Yes, I tried to get into Dexter but just could not due to knowing there are too many seasons to watch. I don't like to watch more than two hours of TV per night. When I was younger it would have been double.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I tried to get into Dexter but just could not due to knowing there are too many seasons to watch. I don't like to watch more than two hours of TV per night. When I was younger it would have been double.

That's one reason I had put off watching dexter for so long until recently when I binged the entire series

If you feel this way I'd recommend that you just go in with the mindset you are only watching the first 4 seasons, as the overall arch of the show kind of goes to sh*t after that. In general the show is really, really good

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm watching Hitler's Circle of Evil, a dramatized documentary. Episode 1 was a bore, but the second episode was a little better.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Waiting badly for WW2. TD1 was amazing. War and peace was good though I had even higher expectations from it. Could not motivate myself for "The Crown". Is it good enough?
I'm afraid WestWorld2 will be a flop,just like TD2.
War and Peace was excellent for me...If only for Paul Dano.
The Crown is the Patek Philippe of the TV series...Refined and sophisticated.
Claire Foy who plays the Queen was phenomenal.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm afraid WestWorld2 will be a flop,just like TD2.
War and Peace was excellent for me...If only for Paul Dano.
The Crown is the Patek Philippe of the TV series...Refined and sophisticated.
Claire Foy who plays the Queen was phenomenal.

West world season 1 didn't blow me away, I probably won't bother with season 2. I also think I was just about the only person who enjoyed true detective season 2, it maybe wasn't as "deep" as season 1 but I found it highly entertaining

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just finished the Expanse season 2. Really awesome show

Now need to decide what I'm going to follow up with into the late hours of the night. Start The Path season 3? Or a movie? Important decisions I'm making here

Fkdup

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Done with counterpart. Moved on to miniseries "Wild wild country". Absolutely amazing stuff. Must check it out. I have heard some of audio lectures of osho and guy seriously had some amazing wisdom but this series is not about him but shiela.

Also after unsuccessfully asking many guys to watch Utopia as none of them heard about it , I have started to show them its first scene and most of them are now hooked . So doing the same thing here.:D @kj6723 @Afro_Vacancy @Calchas @WhitePolarBear @DoctorHouse
(Whole series is available on YouTube)

It's soundtrack made for people on Mars

Sorry for fanboy in me got a lil carried away. But srsly after watching 100s and 100s of shows, I can't believe this stuff is so underrated. Where is Jessica Hyde?

Last edited:

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Currently binge watching the latest season of The Path on hulu. I forgot how riveting this show is, I think moreso if you came from a religious upbringing and at any point had a crisis of faith. What's also nice is they brought in the chick from Slumdog Millionaire for this season, I didn't remember her being this f*****g hot

Does anyone else feel like the current trend of including a token gay story arc feels cringingly forced? In this show there's a dude who's straight for the first 2 seasons, hooking up with chicks, and then just randomly he now decides he wants to make out with a dude o_O I mean....does that actually happen? Ah let me guess, here come the LGBT community and their hipster counterparts to tell me I'm clearly a suppressed homosexual :rolleyes:

Fkdup

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Currently binge watching the latest season of The Path on hulu. I forgot how riveting this show is, I think moreso if you came from a religious upbringing and at any point had a crisis of faith. What's also nice is they brought in the chick from Slumdog Millionaire for this season, I didn't remember her being this f*****g hot

Does anyone else feel like the current trend of including a token gay story arc feels cringingly forced? In this show there's a dude who's straight for the first 2 seasons, hooking up with chicks, and then just randomly he now decides he wants to make out with a dude o_O I mean....does that actually happen? Ah let me guess, here come the LGBT community and their hipster counterparts to tell me I'm clearly a suppressed homosexual :rolleyes:

I have no problem with someone being gay or lesbian or bisexual but you are right most of those plots so badly written and are really forced. It has become a bigger thing than just to show racial diversity or religious diversity for the sake of it. Like @WhitePolarBear said about that lesbian angle in The end of f**** world.

But its also a fact that it gives the show a great deal of trp. Sense8 became a cult for this very reason. The 100 ratings nosedived just after a major lasbian character was killed due to severe lgbt backlash.
I suspect in next Stranger things season they are going to show that Bily hargrove is a gay too.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no problem with someone being gay or lesbian or bisexual but you are right most of those plots so badly written and are really forced. It has become a bigger thing than just to show racial diversity or religious diversity for the sake of it. Like @WhitePolarBear said about that lesbian angle in The end of f**** world.

But its also a fact that it gives the show a great deal of trp. Sense8 became a cult for this very reason. The 100 ratings nosedived just after a major lasbian character was killed due to severe lgbt backlash.
I suspect in next Stranger things season they are going to show that Bily hargrove is a gay too.

They are going to go the "overtly compensatory angry dude with conservative father is actually gay" route

Dude is a beautiful man

tumblr_inline_oz913f5jOA1reioi1_500.gif

No homo :D

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

Sense8 became a hit because it is a magnificent show that rewards intelligence and empathy.

Unfortunately, it starts slow.

Fkdup

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They are going to go the "overtly compensatory angry dude with conservative father is actually gay" route

Dude is a beautiful man

View attachment 83510

No homo :D

Well clues are there. Not interested in Nancy, homo vibes with Steve. And son of white sueramacist grow up to be a gay. Have not we seen it before?

By the way this scene was good.

Fkdup

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sense8 became a hit because it is a magnificent show that rewards intelligence and empathy.

Unfortunately, it starts slow.

Of course it's good but frenzy it created is beyond me. Every second episode has one elaborated gay/lesbian scene. Or group sex scenes implying that gay/straight/bisexual just tags.
Don't get me wrong , i do like sense8 too but There are many many shows that are way intelligent in plot making and subtle messages case in point like I mentioned Utopia. This show was bloody brilliant and unfortunately cancelled but it did not caused the uproar like the news of cancellation of sense8 created. Lgbt community really wedged a spirited campaign for it.

But this show went without a trace.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course it's good but frenzy it created is beyond me. Every second episode has one elaborated gay/lesbian scene. Or group sex scenes implying that gay/straight/bisexual just tags.
Don't get me wrong , i do like sense8 too but There are many many shows that are way intelligent in plot making and subtle messages case in point like I mentioned Utopia. This show was bloody brilliant and unfortunately cancelled but it did not caused the uproar like the news of cancellation of sense8 created. Lgbt community really wedged a spirited campaign for it.

But this show went without a trace.

I've never watched Utopia, but I'll caution against the comparison. A lot of great movies, great TV shows, and for that matter great anything, never take off in popularity. Popularity isn't just a function of excellence, but also a function of marketing, availability, reputation, and luck.

I know that Sense8 is one of the best things that I've watched, and I say this with the awareness that I, like everybody else, has not watched most of what is worth watching. The reason that I saw Sense8 was not because of the gay thing (I'm straight), in fact I did not even know that it was an LGBQT-friendly show. I watched it because J. Michael Straczynski is one of the creators. He's responsible for Babylon 5 which is one of my favorite shows ever, and there are a lot of similarities between the two shows. They share similar weaknesses and strengths such as starting slow, stilted dialogue, while also tackling big themes, exploring the issue of diversity, and the consequences of fundamental changes in human nature such as telepathy. Telepathy was a huge part of Babylon 5.

Sense8 also has absolutely magnificent set design and cinematography. It's simply a pleasure to look at.

Fkdup

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never watched Utopia, but I'll caution against the comparison. A lot of great movies, great TV shows, and for that matter great anything, never take off in popularity. Popularity isn't just a function of excellence, but also a function of marketing, availability, reputation, and luck.

I know that Sense8 is one of the best things that I've watched, and I say this with the awareness that I, like everybody else, has not watched most of what is worth watching. The reason that I saw Sense8 was not because of the gay thing (I'm straight), in fact I did not even know that it was an LGBQT-friendly show. I watched it because J. Michael Straczynski is one of the creators. He's responsible for Babylon 5 which is one of my favorite shows ever, and there are a lot of similarities between the two shows. They share similar weaknesses and strengths such as starting slow, stilted dialogue, while also tackling big themes, exploring the issue of diversity, and the consequences of fundamental changes in human nature such as telepathy. Telepathy was a huge part of Babylon 5.

Sense8 also has absolutely magnificent set design and cinematography. It's simply a pleasure to look at.

Dude like I said in the first post itself that I have problem for the show being a cult which content wise it definitely is not.I am not talking about those guy for whom anything sci-fi is great.

Is it good? of course otherwise I would have left it in between. I too started seeing because of this great concept but being a cult? Oh please. It started creating a buzz for being the first show which was written by trans writer, featuring a trans actress essaying a trans role. The show simply chose style over content after story was all set.
Also despite lgbt being so vocal about it and discussing it ad nauseam and giving it a high visibility on social media, the show could not generate enough viewership, which did not justify the cost involved
Prime reason for its premature closure, along with hasty plot development of the last season.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude like I said in the first post itself that I have problem for the show being a cult which content wise it definitely is not.I am not talking about those guy for whom anything sci-fi is great.

Is it good? of course otherwise I would have left it in between. I too started seeing because of this great concept but being a cult? Oh please. It started creating a buzz for being the first show which was written by trans writer, featuring a trans actress essaying a trans role. The show simply chose style over content after story was all set.
Also despite lgbt being so vocal about it and discussing it ad nauseam and giving it a high visibility on social media, the show could not generate enough viewership, which did not justify the cost involved
Prime reason for its premature closure, along with hasty plot development of the last season.

I'm sorry if you don't like Sense8, but we don't all like everything that's good. That's only human. I spoke to two friends recently who didn't like Citizen Kane. There are people who don't like the original Star Wars, and so on.

I consider Sense8 to be an absolute masterpiece and one of the best television experiences of my life. That has nothing to do with the pansexuality, it's due to the cinematography, and the themes of love and empathy. I felt major elation and warmth in the climax scene of episode 11 of season 1, like I've never felt from any other television series. It was something special.

The idea that people just dig the gay pandering is condescending. At best it gave the show an audience (a great value to be sure), but it doesn't allow the show to keep its audience. A good example is the movie "The Danish Girl", it got an audience because it explored an important event in trans history. However, from what I saw, a lot of LGBT writers dismissed it as a pandering movie. That movie will eventually be forgotten if it isn't already.