Minoxidil Sulfate... What is the big deal about it?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Buhl AE, Waldon DJ, Baker CA, Johnson GA.
Upjohn Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49001.

An important step in understanding minoxidil's mechanism of action on hair follicles was to determine the drug's active form. We used organ-cultured vibrissa follicles to test whether it is minoxidil or its sulfated metabolite, minoxidil sulfate, that stimulates hair growth. Follicles from neonatal mice were cultured with or without drugs and effects were assessed by measuring incorporation of radiolabeled cysteine in hair shafts of the treated follicles. Assays of minoxidil sulfotransferase activity indicated that vibrissae follicles metabolize minoxidil to minoxidil sulfate. Dose-response studies showed that minoxidil sulfate is 14 times more potent than minoxidil in stimulating cysteine incorporation in cultured follicles. Three drugs that block production of intrafollicular minoxidil sulfate were tested for their effects on drug-induced hair growth. Diethylcarbamazine proved to be a noncompetitive inhibitor of sulfotransferase and prevented hair growth stimulation by minoxidil but not by minoxidil sulfate. Inhibiting the formation of intracellular PAPS with chlorate also blocked the action of minoxidil but not of minoxidil sulfate. Acetaminophen, a potent sulfate scavenger blocked cysteine incorporation by minoxidil. It also blocked follicular stimulation by minoxidil sulfate apparently by directly removing the sulfate from the drug. Experiments with U-51,607, a potent minoxidil analog that also forms a sulfated metabolite, showed that its activity was inhibited by both chlorate and diethylcarbamazine. These studies show that sulfation is a critical step for hair-growth effects of minoxidil and that it is the sulfated metabolite that directly affects hair follicles.

Ionic and secretory response of pancreatic islet cells to minoxidil sulfate
MH Antoine, M Hermann, A Herchuelz and P Lebrun

Laboratory of Pharmacology, Brussels Free University School of Medicine, Belgium.

Minoxidil sulfate is an antihypertensive agent belonging to the new class of vasodilators, the "K+ channel openers." The present study was undertaken to characterize the effects of minoxidil sulfate on ionic and secretory events in rat pancreatic islets. The drug unexpectedly provoked a concentration-dependent decrease in 86Rb outflow. This inhibitory effect was reduced in a concentration-dependent manner by glucose and tolbutamide. Minoxidil sulfate did not affect 45Ca outflow from islets perfused in the presence of extracellular Ca++ and absence or presence of glucose. However, in islets exposed to a medium deprived of extracellular Ca++, the drug provoked a rise in 45Ca outflow. Whether in the absence or presence of extracellular Ca++, minoxidil sulfate increased the cytosolic free Ca++ concentration of islet cells. Lastly, minoxidil sulfate increased the release of insulin from glucose- stimulated pancreatic islets. These results suggest that minoxidil sulfate reduces the activity of the ATP-sensitive K+ channels and promotes an intracellular translocation of Ca++. The latter change might account for the effect of the drug on the insulin-releasing process. However, the secretory response to minoxidil sulfate could also be mediated, at least in part, by a modest Ca++ entry.

http://www.sinere.com/nanominox-ms_en.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/Premium-Minoxidil-S ... 5001r11838

Anybody got results with that? Any good studies on hand? Any other manufacturers around?

Fred

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
No one ever responded to your post but see the Minoxidil section of this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/alan-j-bauman/hair-loss-treatment_b_3039650.html

This is the relevant quote:

"Although it is FDA-approved and has proven science behind it, the catch is that minoxidil doesn't work for everyone. In fact, over-the-counter minoxidil may only work well in about 38.3 per cent of patients, according to medical studies. Studies suggest that a patient has to have an active enzyme called "sulfotransferase" in order for their hair follicles to respond to minoxidil treatments. It is this enzyme that converts topically applied minoxidil into the active chemical (called minoxidil sulfate) that stimulates the follicles. Not everyone has enough sulfotransferase to "activate" minoxidil. There may be other biological roadblocks too -- like inflammation at or around hair follicles in the scalp and other factors, which can also affect minoxidil's action. The bottom line for patients is that there's a 65 per cent chance that standard over-the-counter minoxidil won't help you. Instead, you may require a prescription for a specially formulated, compounded minoxidil solution for optimal results. A new "minoxidil sensitivity' test will be out soon in the US, which can pre-determine if a patient is likely to respond to standard over-the-counter minoxidil before they start the treatment."

What I am interested in knowing is what is in the "compounded" version of Minoxidil, and what is the proof of its efficacy in men who do lack
sulfotransferase?

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
I am interested in how to get the body to create the enzyme, taking sulfates may not be enough but I read somewhere that soaking in Epsom salts gets much better absorbtion than oral? I am derma rolling and I believe minoxidil is an important key to its success and if it doesn't do anything well that just sucks, Onion topicals? any input from guys that have researched this would be great, I just started looking into it

BadLabTech

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I wouldn't concern yourself too much with any topical solutions to your issue. You're going to need the sulfur containing enzymes to be in adequate concentration within the dermis near the follicle. You're better off focusing on cruciferous veggies like broccoli, sprouts, etc. You could supplement with N-Acetyl Cysteine also, good for you regardless. Good luck!

Oh, and - WhoDat![/FONT]

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
"No one ever responded to your post but see the Minoxidil section of this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/alan-j-bauman/hair-loss-treatment_b_3039650.html

This is the relevant quote:

"Although it is FDA-approved and has proven science behind it, the catch is that minoxidil doesn't work for everyone. In fact, over-the-counter minoxidil may only work well in about 38.3 per cent of patients, according to medical studies. Studies suggest that a patient has to have an active enzyme called "sulfotransferase" in order for their hair follicles to respond to minoxidil treatments. It is this enzyme that converts topically applied minoxidil into the active chemical (called minoxidil sulfate) that stimulates the follicles. Not everyone has enough sulfotransferase to "activate" minoxidil. There may be other biological roadblocks too -- like inflammation at or around hair follicles in the scalp and other factors, which can also affect minoxidil's action. The bottom line for patients is that there's a 65 per cent chance that standard over-the-counter minoxidil won't help you. Instead, you may require a prescription for a specially formulated, compounded minoxidil solution for optimal results. A new "minoxidil sensitivity' test will be out soon in the US, which can pre-determine if a patient is likely to respond to standard over-the-counter minoxidil before they start the treatment."

What I am interested in knowing is what is in the "compounded" version of Minoxidil, and what is the proof of its efficacy in men who do lack sulfotransferase"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also read that regular Minoxidil doesn't work on some individuals because they lack a certain naturally produced enzyme on their scalp/skin, & therefore, they will never see any results.

Minoxidil Sulfate takes care of this problem because whether or not the individual has this "enzyme" it will work regardless.

I can't speak for anyone else, but minoxidil Sulfate has been a God send for me.

I can even see new hairs that are growing well below my normal hairline (about an inch to an inch & a half). So much so, that sometimes I have to pluck them because they are growing too low below my hairline.

But, that could also be because sometimes I'm in a rush and do not properly wash and minoxidil Sulfate that drips down my forehead.

I should try applying it to the back of my hand as an experiment to see if I grow hair there,lol.

Just my 2 cents.

PM

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
I also read that regular Minoxidil doesn't work on some individuals because they lack a certain naturally produced enzyme on their scalp/skin, & therefore, they will never see any results.

Minoxidil Sulfate takes care of this problem because whether or not the individual has this "enzyme" it will work regardless.

I can't speak for anyone else, but minoxidil Sulfate has been a God send for me.

This site claims minoxidil sulfate is a bad idea:
https://www.minoxidilmax.com/why-minoxidil-sulfate-bad-idea

And in any case no one can afford it.

It's confusing.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not a faithful believer in Minoxidil. I do think it's a temporary solution, when
used on its own.

That said, laser therapy actually induces the sulfate enzyme reaction. It will thicken
the hair shaft.

It also makes Minoxidil therapy better. It makes it work faster, and longer.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
"This site claims minoxidil sulfate is a bad idea:

It's confusing."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi persistentone,

That site is obviously trying to sell their own proprietary regular minoxidil topical. It's no wonder why they would say that.

I would rather trust a Pubmed clinical study over some vendor trying to "make up facts"

check it out, the study is right here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2230218

It's not that expensive. I just bought 2 more bottles of minoxidil Sulfate for $30.

Happy New Year

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
"This site claims minoxidil sulfate is a bad idea:

It's confusing."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi persistentone,

That site is obviously trying to sell their own proprietary regular minoxidil topical. It's no wonder why they would say that.

I would rather trust a Pubmed clinical study over some vendor trying to "make up facts"

check it out, the study is right here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2230218

It's not that expensive. I just bought 2 more bottles of minoxidil Sulfate for $30.

Happy New Year
Where do you buy minoxidil sulfate? I've never heard of it. I am a non-responder to regular minoxidil, and this stuff would be a god-send if it actually works.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's also this study.

Consistent with the prior study, we found that sulfotransferase activity in plucked hair follicles predicts treatment response with 93% sensitivity and 83% specificity. Our study further supports the importance of minoxidil sulfation in eliciting a therapeutic response and provides further insight into novel targets for increasing minoxidil efficacy.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi SmoothSailing,

Wow,

Thanks for the link to that study. I found it very interesting. Since I have been using minoxidil sulfate (I also add a little DMSO to it).

IDK why everyone doesn't use, or at try, a minoxidil sulfate topical. Especially if they do not get good results from regular minoxidil.

Thanks again.

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that minoxidil sulfate is very unstable and ends up just being minoxidil mixed with sulfuric acid, can someone explain to me if I'm wrong? Is there a way to keep the compound stable?

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have also read that multiple times. So, before I started buying bottled minoxidil sulfate, I ordered a powder sample, mixed it with ordinary tap water, and, there was no precipitate or fall out of the minoxidil sulfate. At all. Even after 6 months later

And, it is well known that regular minoxidil is not soluble in water, only propylne glycol, so if it was really changing back to minoxidil, there should be a great fall out or precipitate that would be very obvious considering it is in 100% water.

I tried to find any hard proof that minoxidil sulfate when dissolved in water will precipitate out or un-stabilize, maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

All I could find is a website that is trying to sell their own proprietary regular minoxidil, again, maybe I just haven't searched hard enough.

If anyone can point me to some non-biased facts, I would love to read it over. I'm really interested in Minoxidil Sulfate. It's the only formula that works for me, I must be lacking the natural enzyme that allows regular minoxidil to work.

Thanks.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
If anyone can point me to some non-biased facts, I would love to read it over. I'm really interested in Minoxidil Sulfate. It's the only formula that works for me, I must be lacking the natural enzyme that allows regular minoxidil to work.

So can you post a link to the commercial site you are buying minoxidil sulfate from? You just said you bought some for $30, so obviously it must be available for sale.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi persistentone,

I don't think I'm allowed to post links here, but if you search on Ebay for "Minoxidil Sulfate" you should be able to find it.

The brand I use also has retinol included in the formula.

Or if you PM me, I might be able to give you the link, I'm not sure.

You should be able to find it easily on Ebay.

PW

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Pamela, that is an extremely bad sign if the only commercial sellers of this formulation are selling on eBay. That's not a confidence builder. Half that stuff could be sugar water or loaded with toxic materials they never knew were there.

Why do you think that no one on Amazon sells minoxidil sulfate?

HairlessApe

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's good to hear someone else uses the minoxidil sulfate from eBay, I have placed an order for some. I'm willing to give it a try. They also have 100% positive feedback.

Pamela Wilson

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Pamela, that is an extremely bad sign if the only commercial sellers of this formulation are selling on eBay. That's not a confidence builder. Half that stuff could be sugar water or loaded with toxic materials they never knew were there."

They also sell it on their website, so it's not just Ebay.

"sugar water or loaded with toxic materials they never knew were there" with over 700 units sold and 100% feedback, yea, maybe you're right,lol.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
"Pamela, that is an extremely bad sign if the only commercial sellers of this formulation are selling on eBay. That's not a confidence builder. Half that stuff could be sugar water or loaded with toxic materials they never knew were there."

They also sell it on their website, so it's not just Ebay.

"sugar water or loaded with toxic materials they never knew were there" with over 700 units sold and 100% feedback, yea, maybe you're right,lol.

Plenty of vendors sell thousands of units of toxic sugar water and get plenty of good feedbacks in the process.

Is there some regulatory issue with selling the sulfate form? Is that the reason more established vendors are not trying to sell it?