Minoxidil Skin Wrinkling - Permanent Or Temporary?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Studies have shown it inhibits collagen synthesis, so, presumably, in the absence of minoxidil, collagen synthesis returns to normal. Does that mean that any wrinkling that minoxidil might have caused would go away?

I know this hasn't been studied, so the best we can have is anecdotal evidence, but what say you based on that?

el_duterino

Reaction score
temporary in my experience with rogaine and oral minoxidil 5mg per day

don't touch the liquid/foam with bare hands, use glove to massage, this will limit absorption

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Studies have shown it inhibits collagen synthesis, so, presumably, in the absence of minoxidil, collagen synthesis returns to normal. Does that mean that any wrinkling that minoxidil might have caused would go away?

I know this hasn't been studied, so the best we can have is anecdotal evidence, but what say you based on that?
I remember someone mentioning that minoxidil did not have in vitro effects on collagen synthesis. Perhaps you should do more research.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember someone mentioning that minoxidil did not have in vitro effects on collagen synthesis. Perhaps you should do more research.

Do you mean in vivo? It definitely does have that effect in vitro, there are a few studies on it.

el_duterino

Reaction score
no question minoxidil will affect skin, but this depends on age and how much collagen you have to start with
for me the worst was using oral minoxidil 5mg a day, after a few weeks skins seems to sag more, bags under the eye are more visible and thin wrinkles more apparent

Skin became much nicer, back to normal after stopping minoxidil which is a clear proof that it was the culprit and not normal aging

Yes we have many studies and users reports on that

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I meant in vivo. minoxidil may not inhibit collagen synthesis in the human body.

I did quite a bit of searching on Google Scholar and I found no in vivo studies. Does anyone have a link to an in vivo study?

no question minoxidil will affect skin, but this depends on age and how much collagen you have to start with
for me the worst was using oral minoxidil 5mg a day, after a few weeks skins seems to sag more, bags under the eye are more visible and thin wrinkles more apparent

Skin became much nicer, back to normal after stopping minoxidil which is a clear proof that it was the culprit and not normal aging

So in your case it was temporary. Is that what people typically report?

When you say studies, are you referring to in vitro studies exclusively? (not that those are meaningless, just wondering if there's something I missed)

Prada1

Established Member
Reaction score
Anything you can do to minimize this? Assuming you continue using minoxidil. I have dark circles which makes me look tired but I’m fine.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 21 years old and i confirm the collagen destruction effect if minoxidil

On 5mg oral minoxidil since November 2019, i developed severe wrinkles on fingers and toes and moderate wrinkles on eye area

It's real

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score

So does that tell us hair and skin is all connected.. 5AR is responsible for good skin and also male pattern baldness? Dammed if ya do...

Koolbite

My Regimen
Reaction score
Strange that it doesn't seem to be much of a concern for all the guys dermarolling then.

I used minoxidil 5% for 1 year a couple of times some years ago and didn't notice a bad skin but i was younger then..

Also the skin type may reinforce or diminish this aspect. My skin is pretty greasy and heavy on sebum production. People with dry skin will probably suffer more from it.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So does that tell us hair and skin is all connected.. 5AR is responsible for good skin and also male pattern baldness? Dammed if ya do...
It's not that, studies have found that minoxidil interferes with collagen, so that's the mechanism.
Strange that it doesn't seem to be much of a concern for all the guys dermarolling then.

I used minoxidil 5% for 1 year a couple of times some years ago and didn't notice a bad skin but i was younger then..

Also the skin type may reinforce or diminish this aspect. My skin is pretty greasy and heavy on sebum production. People with dry skin will probably suffer more from it.
I'm surprised more isn't made of it in the hairloss community, too. If I'm picking between a bald head and an aged face, I'd rather go with the bald head and I'd assume most ppl would make the same choice, but maybe not so or maybe not everyone suffers this effect, IDK.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not that, studies have found that minoxidil interferes with collagen, so that's the mechanism.

I'm surprised more isn't made of it in the hairloss community, too. If I'm picking between a bald head and an aged face, I'd rather go with the bald head and I'd assume most ppl would make the same choice, but maybe not so or maybe not everyone suffers this effect, IDK.
The thing is you can counter bad and aging skin with proven methods. Hair loss doesn’t have too many different treatments that work for sure

Koolbite

My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing is you can counter bad and aging skin with proven methods. Hair loss doesn’t have too many different treatments that work for sure
What are the proven methods to counter aging skin ? Biotin ?