Minoxidil (Rogaine / Regaine)

Gailgcd

Reaction score
Admin said:

If you have had rapid hair loss all over, with severe thinning in circles on top, and having regrowth, just not as much as fell out. Should I start Rogaine? Derm. said go on Rogaine, but I thought FPB didn't grow back.
Thanks Gail

alana

Reaction score
I had a question for admin. I was reading over the section for females and it stated that minoxidil was good for Androgenetic Alopecia sufferers, but not so good for females with Telogen Effluvium, as it could do more harm than good. Tnen, a couple of paragraphs later it said that minoxidil was also suggested for females with Telogen Effluvium... I was just curious as to what the correct reponse was. Is it , or isn't it good for the treatment of Telogen Effluvium. Thanks!

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Alana -

Could you provide links to the specific pages you're referring to? Lots of pages on this new site :)

If its the section I am thinking about, there was a differentiation drawn between those who had abnormal blood tests revealing a specific cause for their Telogen Effluvium and those who had a more common non-specific related Telogen Effluvium.

HairLossTalk.com

Lee

Reaction score
I have severe thinning at the crown, (as does my mother) and general thinning and severe shedding.

I went on Rogaine for Women as recommended by my dermatologist. It worked great! And in less than 2 months I actually had growth in the crown and virtually NO shedding. However, I had to stop because I started to experience severe chest pain (a side effect).

Now I'm stumped!!! I ordered the Revivogen Pak in hopes that will help.

Have any other women out there had a side effect from Rogaine and moved on to another product that has yielded results? If so, what is it???

Mich

Reaction score
I have been using Rogaine for approximately 1 month without any results, no decrease in shedding, no regrowth. I remain hopeful and I am looking for other treatments in the meantime. I also take Zinc, Vitamin B6 and Saw Palmetto. Is there hope for me??

G

Make sure you are taking 5% minoxidil

Add fiansteride-.5 to 1MG per day.

Add Nizoral Shampoo every third day.

Use Nano shampoo on the other days.

Check back with us in six months.

Good luck

Brucelee

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Bruce, this is the Women's forum. Mich is likely a female.

Mich - don't add finasteride, its for Men.

HairLossTalk.com

G

My mistake. Sorry nix on the finasteride obviously!

A thousand pardon's!

Brucelee

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
What about for women who in NO way, shape, or form will be pregnant? Will it work? Theat seems to be an important factor. Not all women get pregnant. Can your doctor legitimately prescribe it to women who will NOT be pregnant?

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
using Rogaine and my hair is falling out more!!! Help

I started using Rogaine 2% about a month ago as per recomondation of my dermatologist. He thinks my hair is falling out due to my ferritin level being low. So I'm also taking iron supplementation in conjunction with the rogain. Over the past few weeks I have found that my shedding has increased dramatically with use of the rogaine...... What is going on???? I'm very nervous that this may not be working....... I think my anxiety is increasing now that I see my scalp in the mirror. Anyone who can give me some reassurance or information about my increase in shedding....would be greatly appreciated.....
Thank you....
Rozzy252 8O

G

Shedding is pretty normal for newbies on Minxoidil. Should pass. Perhaps you should move up to 5%.

Gooo luck

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the response. ITs reassuring to know that its a common thing to shed more when you first start using it although I'm panicking right now because I have shed quite a bit. I can see scalp and worse off....my wedding is in October. Its soooo devestating and I'm worried that I won't have a good hairdo for the wedding.....it will be based on covering my scalp.....thats soooo depressing....... :(

Tee

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I have been searching for answers to my hairloss for awhile now, and am getting very depressed as each day passes with more and more hair falling out. I have tried Rogaine and it burns my head- I have actually developed a severe rash and itching and burning. I was also prescribed Spirolactone about a year ago, but never took it because the side effects freaked me out (heart, etc.). Now I'm wishing I did take it- I am going back to the dermotologist in a week looking for some more alternatives. I just purchased something called Regain over the internet and have been using it for about a week. No results yet, and I'm sure I have wasted yet another 50 bucks on something that will not work, but thought it was worth a try. It is somewhat of a comfort to know that there are other woman out there going through the same thing.

G

Dr. Lee has a verision of Minoxidil that should work for you. Also, what heart issues are you referring to on spironolactone? Not heard of this.

BTW-I believe Regaine is just minoxidil.

Tee

Reaction score
I have read that it can cause heart failure. Also it says it is prescribed to lower blood pressure. Since my blood pressure is usually below normal, I was afraid maybe this would effect me differently. I guess these are questions that I need to address to my doctor. I have a feeling that my problem is hormonal since this problem started after I had my second child. At the time I was not too alarmed since I had a thick full head of hair- now 6 years later I am wishing I did something about it way before now. I have been to my family doctor, ob-gyn, and a dermotologist. None seem to want to dwell further into the situation. I am so discouraged and getting severely depressed because of it. BTW, Regain is an all natural DHT hair loss treatment. No minoxidal. And who is Dr. Lee?????
Thanks.

Stingray

Reaction score
If you have a heart condition, or other vascular condition...DO NOT USE MINOXIDIL unless your doctor gives you the ok. It's a vasodialator and could cause your already low blood pressure to drop even more. Minoxidil is used in pill form to relieve hypertension...so you know where that goes. Be careful.

Plus, you need to give ANY treatment at least 3 months to show ANY form of results. 1 week is by far not enough. Regaine is just a foreign make of Rogaine.

G

Tee said:
I have read that it can cause heart failure. Also it says it is prescribed to lower blood pressure. Since my blood pressure is usually below normal, I was afraid maybe this would effect me differently. I guess these are questions that I need to address to my doctor. I have a feeling that my problem is hormonal since this problem started after I had my second child. At the time I was not too alarmed since I had a thick full head of hair- now 6 years later I am wishing I did something about it way before now. I have been to my family doctor, ob-gyn, and a dermotologist. None seem to want to dwell further into the situation. I am so discouraged and getting severely depressed because of it. BTW, Regain is an all natural DHT hair loss treatment. No minoxidal. And who is Dr. Lee?????
Thanks.

I think you are confusing Sprio and Minoxidil. Minoxidil is the drug that lowers blood pressure. I am not aware of any side effects of topical spironolactone. Ingested spironolactone would alter your hormone profile but I have never heard of any heart related issues from it.l

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
To Rogaine or not to Rogaine? I don't know which way to go. I've been reading so many postings from women who seem to lose more hair after they start using it. The pamphlet says increased hair shedding for 2 weeks, but from the postings I'm reading, it sounds like its a lot longer for some women. I can't afford to lose more hair. Should I use Rogaine or not?

G

totaldispHAIR said:
To Rogaine or not to Rogaine? I don't know which way to go. I've been reading so many postings from women who seem to lose more hair after they start using it. The pamphlet says increased hair shedding for 2 weeks, but from the postings I'm reading, it sounds like its a lot longer for some women. I can't afford to lose more hair. Should I use Rogaine or not?

What are your alternatives? If you dont treat your hair loss, what will happen and how will you feel about it? Minoxidil works for most folks but not everyone.