minoxidil once a day?

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
personally i use it twice a day and i wouldnt bother with anything less,use it as its prescribed!

beaner

Reaction score
I used it once a day for a long time due to the greasy mess it was (before foam or knowledge of Dr Lee's minoxidil) and saw improvement. I saw an article once by Dr Sawaya, a well respected hair loss researcher, speculating that twice a day apps are probably not needed to achieve decent results. I say go for it.

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
i feel once a night application all over male pattern baldness area rubed in good should be fine. will it be as good as twice not sure. i think the reason they make you do it twice again is to increase the chance of penetration into the hair follicle. i have shaved head and rub in foam good so i dont think penetration is as hard as having long hair.

Trog

Reaction score
If I start using it, I'll probably try it at once a day. I have medium-length curly/wavy hair, so just applying it at night, when I can keep my hair out of the way and not worry about messing it up, is easier.

I know that with finasteride, the difference in effectiveness between taking 1mg and .5 mg is fairly small - 1mg is optimal, but .5mg is only slightly below optimal. I imagine something similar is true of minoxidil 2-a-day versus minoxidil 1-a-day, but I'm curious if there's a consensus about this.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I don't think you can compare the dosage effectiveness of finasteride to that of topical minoxidil. They are two unrelated compounds.

I'm not sure why you'd want to go with only once per day. If I recall correctly, minoxidil effectiveness is highly dose-dependent. You obviously don't want to go overboard, but the manufacturer recommends 2X/day for a reason...

Toyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
I don't think you can compare the dosage effectiveness of finasteride to that of topical minoxidil. They are two unrelated compounds.

I'm not sure why you'd want to go with only once per day. If I recall correctly, minoxidil effectiveness is highly dose-dependent. You obviously don't want to go overboard, but the manufacturer recommends 2X/day for a reason...
yeah they recommend twice a day so they can make more money.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Toyboy said:
yeah they recommend twice a day so they can make more money.

Then why not use it only every other day to show them who's boss?

Toyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
i didnt say every other day you idiot.I said once a day is enouth.Most hair transplant doctors reccomend once a day use these days anyway.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's what I do. I always apply it at night and try to apply it every morning. However, if I happen to miss a morning application for whatever reason I don't worry about it or try to make it up later in the day.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Toyboy said:
once a day is plenty.twice a day is a waste of time .

Yeah ive been applying it twice a day for around one year now. Ive had very little reward for my efforts. Im just over twice a day applications now, especially the morning. It just ruins my hair for the day and I dont even bother styling it. And it stinks! Im sure people notice the smell around me. Im only applying it before bed now. Screw this morning application bull-s-hit. Im just tired of it. I gave it a go in the hope for some regrowth, but at best ive had maintaince, if not loss. So I agree with this once a day thing.

Sean68

Reaction score
ive skipped a lot of night time apps recently but if youre just starting minoxidil you should do the
best you can and apply it twice a day. gotta do what you can guys.

Finish line

Established Member
Reaction score
Twice a day, guys. You can't make up your own rules and expect this stuff to work.

You are rogaine's b**ch, not the other way around.

IBM

Reaction score
I use once a day. But my goal is to maintain what i have. Besides minoxidil leaves my hair in a mess!
Fortunately i experienced little regrowth but i'm using finasteride and oral spironolactone. Checkout my story.