Minoxidil made me bald, amazing regrowth after 7 months without!

uhoil

Established Member
Reaction score
Man, you just convinced me...

Hy hairline is worse and my barber is saying to stop applying minoxidil because its clogging the pores. Imma stop it today and let you guys know how it goes

MeMoZa313

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hy hairline is worse and my barber is saying to stop applying minoxidil because its clogging the pores. Imma stop it today and let you guys know how it goes
don't do that ! if there is no side effects .. DONT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I went from people telling me "your hair looks fine" to "wow ur quite bald" in the span of 3 months after i had to stop finasteride/minoxidil and a few other otc supps. Why I stopped is another story and shouldn't bother anyone.
The first time i started minoxidil i was on kirkland liquid and in 1 month i lost unbelievable amount of hair and itching was unbearable, i then realised i was probably allergic to the pg and switched to the foam version and the itching was barely noticeable and after 4-5 months on the minoxidil my hair was looking better than ever.
Unless u have at least 4-6 then I wouldn't quit minoxidil.

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree minoxidil is poison, I mean if you drank it youd die so think what its doing to your hair

liljay

My Regimen
Reaction score

hi uhoil, i wonder how's your hair overall situation now after quiting minoxidil, cuz im thinking of quieting it too since i dont really have any regrowth using it. thank you in advance.

Phillip Fry

My Regimen
Reaction score
Balding has been an issue in my family. My dad has a bald vertex and scalp (although the sides are OK), my younger brother started losing his hair at a very early age and I had some signs of crown thinning as well. Although for me it was only the crown, and there had been pretty big bald spot where my vertex started ever since I can remember.

At some point in my life I started to get major shedding, hundreds of hairs when showering would come out and just be everywhere in my room, on my pillowcase. That made me stress out which of course made everything worse. I worked as a model at the time so being bald was not the best thing for my career.
Either way, my brother who was on finasteride and minoxidil told me I should start Rogaine to get my hair back, and it worked for over a year, until I started having heavy shedding. I still continued using Rogaine and my hair came back full and thick again.

But then I started traveling to South East Asia. I brought a 6 month supply with me, enough to last the journey but gave up after a month since it was a pain in the *** to apply in a humid climate. The foam would just become an instant liquid and it would be a messy situation. Everything was fine for the first 3 months or so, and then I started to have a heavy shed where I lost more than I ever had before. The weird thing about it was that it was patchy. By this time I'd've let my hair grow for about a year, so it was pretty long, but the big patches of baldness made me shave it all off once I returned home after the 6 months of traveling.

I was happy to reconcile with going short, even though it didn't really suit my face at all. Through sheer laziness I didn't do anything with my hair and just let it grow again, and I'm amazed by how the patches are starting to fill in again.

This first picture is taken at the end of July, when the shedding got to its worse point. Too bad I can't substitute my chest hair for some scalp hair :hmmm:

09f0a5b1-df60-4c24-848e-0d2623294028_zpsutyrmzvd.jpg

And this one is taken just now, a couple of minutes ago. You can see how my vertex has filled in over the past couple of months. In the right light you can still see some old balding patterns, but I'm hoping that clears up within 6~12 months

e337dffd-f474-45f6-b43b-06ef0107950d_zpsg9jxjyve.jpg

I know shedding is a very weird thing and it differs from person to person, but sometimes the stuff that you use to treat it might be making it worse. In my case it wasn't only this mid and post minoxidil shed, but also the fact that I was getting black bags under my eyes which made my whole face look older as well. Either way. Do with this information what you like.
Sorry for my late replies, I don't post often here and this slipped my mind. So far shedding still has remained stable and overal growth and coverage is pretty damn good.

Androgenic alopecia is very prevalent in my family, both sides. Like I said, my younger brother is using minoxidil, finasteride and nizoral and his hair is still thinning out.

So yeah, short recap. Before using minoxidil, 2+ years ago, I experienced heavy, heavy shedding and my vertex was thinning out badly. Jumped on Rogaine, regained hair and density until the drawbacks decided me to quit and accept my fate, yet now it's better than it was at baseline level.

I also notice that I have barely any receding hairline compared to my little brother or just compared to what I used to have as a kid. Yes my hairline has gone up a bit, but I believe that's just called a mature hairline and not receding in any way.
I'm still baffled as to why this has happened.

The only major change I made in the last year besides the minoxidil is switching from shampoo and conditioner to using no shampoo or conditioner at all, just plain water. The benefits I saw were mostly that my hair didn't get greasy or dry anymore and my scalp was less irritated. Maybe this has something to do with it as well, but I'd doubt the effects can be so big.

The only other variable in this was Rogaine and perhaps reduced stress.

Hey man something similar happened to me. But then, the shedding and hair loss started again. Weird.