Minoxidil made me bald, amazing regrowth after 7 months without!

Balduzer

Reaction score
Balding has been an issue in my family. My dad has a bald vertex and scalp (although the sides are OK), my younger brother started losing his hair at a very early age and I had some signs of crown thinning as well. Although for me it was only the crown, and there had been pretty big bald spot where my vertex started ever since I can remember.

At some point in my life I started to get major shedding, hundreds of hairs when showering would come out and just be everywhere in my room, on my pillowcase. That made me stress out which of course made everything worse. I worked as a model at the time so being bald was not the best thing for my career.
Either way, my brother who was on finasteride and minoxidil told me I should start Rogaine to get my hair back, and it worked for over a year, until I started having heavy shedding. I still continued using Rogaine and my hair came back full and thick again.

But then I started traveling to South East Asia. I brought a 6 month supply with me, enough to last the journey but gave up after a month since it was a pain in the *** to apply in a humid climate. The foam would just become an instant liquid and it would be a messy situation. Everything was fine for the first 3 months or so, and then I started to have a heavy shed where I lost more than I ever had before. The weird thing about it was that it was patchy. By this time I'd've let my hair grow for about a year, so it was pretty long, but the big patches of baldness made me shave it all off once I returned home after the 6 months of traveling.

I was happy to reconcile with going short, even though it didn't really suit my face at all. Through sheer laziness I didn't do anything with my hair and just let it grow again, and I'm amazed by how the patches are starting to fill in again.

This first picture is taken at the end of July, when the shedding got to its worse point. Too bad I can't substitute my chest hair for some scalp hair :hmmm:

09f0a5b1-df60-4c24-848e-0d2623294028_zpsutyrmzvd.jpg

And this one is taken just now, a couple of minutes ago. You can see how my vertex has filled in over the past couple of months. In the right light you can still see some old balding patterns, but I'm hoping that clears up within 6~12 months

e337dffd-f474-45f6-b43b-06ef0107950d_zpsg9jxjyve.jpg

I know shedding is a very weird thing and it differs from person to person, but sometimes the stuff that you use to treat it might be making it worse. In my case it wasn't only this mid and post minoxidil shed, but also the fact that I was getting black bags under my eyes which made my whole face look older as well. Either way. Do with this information what you like.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Very strange. This should be in the "Success Story" section with those pics haha.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Success with minoxidil. UNTREATED hair?

Flawfully illogical Jim.

Man would I love to try that.., oops I forgot, minoxidil. has to be physically applied forever to be effective and (for me anyway) still will not help.
Never meaning to rain on anyone's parade Balduzer: I'll bid you your due congratulations and a wish for continued success!

Very strange. This should be in the "Success Story" section with those pics haha.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's odd, (jsut in time for halloween too)

I could hypothesize and say...you had hairloss due to stress and it's not androgenetic alopecia.... but this one is definitely an anomaly.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I guess wherever you were applying Minoxidil, your hair was benefitted from it. Once you stopped, hair in those areas were subjected to a certain degree of shock and probably fell out as a result. Your crown filling out is not due to stopping minoxidil but your hair returning close to baseline levels. Expect them to worsen without Minoxidil once Androgenic Alopecia kicks in again.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil can be poison to some people imo. 2 dermatologists told me it can do more harm than good

Balduzer

Reaction score
Sorry for my late replies, I don't post often here and this slipped my mind. So far shedding still has remained stable and overal growth and coverage is pretty damn good.

Androgenic alopecia is very prevalent in my family, both sides. Like I said, my younger brother is using minoxidil, finasteride and nizoral and his hair is still thinning out.

So yeah, short recap. Before using minoxidil, 2+ years ago, I experienced heavy, heavy shedding and my vertex was thinning out badly. Jumped on Rogaine, regained hair and density until the drawbacks decided me to quit and accept my fate, yet now it's better than it was at baseline level.

I also notice that I have barely any receding hairline compared to my little brother or just compared to what I used to have as a kid. Yes my hairline has gone up a bit, but I believe that's just called a mature hairline and not receding in any way.
I'm still baffled as to why this has happened.

The only major change I made in the last year besides the minoxidil is switching from shampoo and conditioner to using no shampoo or conditioner at all, just plain water. The benefits I saw were mostly that my hair didn't get greasy or dry anymore and my scalp was less irritated. Maybe this has something to do with it as well, but I'd doubt the effects can be so big.

The only other variable in this was Rogaine and perhaps reduced stress.

Ray's Stance

Reaction score
It is!
As a result of this post and a few other things I have read on the internet I am going to stop using shampoo for at least a month. I've already completley stopped using conditioner - For someone with diffuse thinning - using conditioner is detrimental - It just makes my hair look worse - greasier and limper. I've been doing this for a couple months and honestly - My hair looks better and feels better. It's not a massive difference but there is less shine from my scalp which is a god send and it seems to stay in place longer when I do style it.

Conditioner is for coarse hair and unmanagable tangles etc. I've literally tried about 50 different types of shampoo and conditioner and its much of a muchness...

Im just a bit more careful when drying it and styling it.....

Ive not used shampoo for a few weeks now - I still wash my hair though with water and a facial exfoliater scrub on my scalp.

I've got to tell you - it feels amazing. Ive been washing my hair with that 2 to 3 times a week. Im carrying on with minoxidil for now - but I do believe there is something in over shampooing and SLS having a negative effect on hair.. The cosmetic industry loves telling everyone to shampoo and condition your hair everyday but most experts say that this is wrong and gets rid of all the natural oils etc...

Also everyone always recomends exfoliating your skin a couple times a week to get rid of dead skin sells and to unblock pores....Why not do this on your scalp?? Other people do this too. Google it..

Last edited:

Balduzer

Reaction score
It is!
As a result of this post and a few other things I have read on the internet I am going to stop using shampoo for at least a month. I've already completley stopped using conditioner - For someone with diffuse thinning - using conditioner is detrimental - It just makes my hair look worse - greasier and limper. I've been doing this for a couple months and honestly - My hair looks better and feels better. It's not a massive difference but there is less shine from my scalp which is a god send and it seems to stay in place longer when I do style it.

Conditioner is for coarse hair and unmanagable tangles etc. I've literally tried about 50 different types of shampoo and conditioner and its much of a muchness...

Im just a bit more careful when drying it and styling it.....

Ive not used shampoo for a few weeks now - I still wash my hair though with water and a facial exfoliater scrub on my scalp.

I've got to tell you - it feels amazing. Ive been washing my hair with that 2 to 3 times a week. Im carrying on with minoxidil for now - but I do believe there is something in over shampooing and SLS having a negative effect on hair.. The cosmetic industry loves telling everyone to shampoo and condition your hair everyday but most experts say that this is wrong and gets rid of all the natural oils etc...

Also everyone always recomends exfoliating your skin a couple times a week to get rid of dead skin sells and to unblock pores....Why not do this on your scalp?? Other people do this too. Google it..

Currently I'm in for just over a year without any shampoo. My hair just feels thicker and looks more healthy (and is indeed easier to style). I exfoliate the scalp, but usually just with my fingers or with a brush. When styling with products (rarely) I use products which can washed out with water i.e.: they don't contain any silicone.

The biggest difference I've noticed after quitting minoxidil is that my scalp itch is gone. There is some fallout from vellus hair, but it's not much. Before, when I would go through my hair with my hands, slightly grabbing it about 20~50 hairs would come out. Now if I do the same I might get 1~10 at the most.

Regrowth is happening, slowly. When looking directly at the top of my head with some light on it it's clearly visible, but to be fair, how often do you show people your head like that anyway? And to be fair, I think my hair has only had 4 months if not less to catch up on the major shedding it went through. I'm curious to see what it will do over the course of a year.

The pictures here basically portray a worst case scenario with a ton of light and looking directly at the spot

IMG_7808 copy.jpg

IMG_7809 copy.jpg

IMG_7811 copy.jpg

Ray's Stance

Reaction score
I'm still on this one month on. No Shampoo - No Conditioner. I am still using minoxidil foam and Caffine Liquid.

I am not using any Shampoo apart from Dry Shampoo which I'm always banging on about.(Amazing for styling as it has a tint, makes my hair look thicker and gets rid of oil and sebum grease - It's NOT like SHAMPOO! check my other posts for more on that)

Before anyone starts going "Euuurghhh!!" I am still washing my hair. Every 3 or 4 days I cleanse my scalp and hair gently with either an exfoliater or more recently , a L'oreal charcoal face wash. Both are Mens Expert Line and neither of these contains SLS etc. Also, I do not use conditioner. I believe it sends me on a freight train straight to greasy Limp avenue.

What I have noticed one month in.
My hair feels as clean as it used to do when I washed my hair everyday.

It smells pretty good. Again - I am washing my hair - with products that smell great etc and that are designed to help clease and open pores and combat stuff like greasy skin and acne.

The act of using a slightly different product actually feels no different to using a shampoo - its just a smaller container - but the feeling is almost identical and when I told my partner I had stopped using shampoo, she didnt believe me and said "Bo11ck$!"

My hair looks better for longer - It seems to keep its shape longer and is not a greasy mess. I think the first few days it looked a bit shinier - it now looks a bit more dryer - in a matte way - which for a diffuse thinner - is a good thing.
Im using my minoxidil and caffine tonic less. Purley as I am washing my hair every 3 or 4 days as apposed to everyday.

I believe I am seeing a bit of an improovment in my growth - its not massive, but I am going to continue this onwards. I feel I am already better off as there is no difference in my hygeine and my hair looks better and it will either stay this way or improve. I do not believe I will be any worse off by avoiding SLS.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, I still shower everyday! I just avoid wetting my hair!

Ray's Stance

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...lxyHRdP/are-my-wash-products-damaging-my-skin

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously. If certain people are prone to hair loss and sls is a factor, its not stupid to say your daily shampoo is undoing your treatments. If you stopped shampooing with sls, at the very worst, nothing changes.At best? Your removing a factor that is potentially very bad for you. Update. My hair is looking slightly darker then normal at present, nothing epic but its no longer greasy, and it seems to shine less off my scalp. I actually feel quite positive about myself and have done. Im still using minoxidil and caffine loition and im washing my hair every couple of days with a loreal charcoal face wash which smells fantastic and it feels just like normal tbh. Im going to continue. Im reliant on concealer when i go out and i tend to be a bit of a hat prisioner when im working from home but today i answeted the foor to my neighbour and i did feel self concious but no where near what i have been like before and she didnt seem to notice

wangwang

My Regimen
Reaction score
Balding has been an issue in my family. My dad has a bald vertex and scalp (although the sides are OK), my younger brother started losing his hair at a very early age and I had some signs of crown thinning as well. Although for me it was only the crown, and there had been pretty big bald spot where my vertex started ever since I can remember.

At some point in my life I started to get major shedding, hundreds of hairs when showering would come out and just be everywhere in my room, on my pillowcase. That made me stress out which of course made everything worse. I worked as a model at the time so being bald was not the best thing for my career.
Either way, my brother who was on finasteride and minoxidil told me I should start Rogaine to get my hair back, and it worked for over a year, until I started having heavy shedding. I still continued using Rogaine and my hair came back full and thick again.

But then I started traveling to South East Asia. I brought a 6 month supply with me, enough to last the journey but gave up after a month since it was a pain in the *** to apply in a humid climate. The foam would just become an instant liquid and it would be a messy situation. Everything was fine for the first 3 months or so, and then I started to have a heavy shed where I lost more than I ever had before. The weird thing about it was that it was patchy. By this time I'd've let my hair grow for about a year, so it was pretty long, but the big patches of baldness made me shave it all off once I returned home after the 6 months of traveling.

I was happy to reconcile with going short, even though it didn't really suit my face at all. Through sheer laziness I didn't do anything with my hair and just let it grow again, and I'm amazed by how the patches are starting to fill in again.

This first picture is taken at the end of July, when the shedding got to its worse point. Too bad I can't substitute my chest hair for some scalp hair :hmmm:

09f0a5b1-df60-4c24-848e-0d2623294028_zpsutyrmzvd.jpg

And this one is taken just now, a couple of minutes ago. You can see how my vertex has filled in over the past couple of months. In the right light you can still see some old balding patterns, but I'm hoping that clears up within 6~12 months

e337dffd-f474-45f6-b43b-06ef0107950d_zpsg9jxjyve.jpg

I know shedding is a very weird thing and it differs from person to person, but sometimes the stuff that you use to treat it might be making it worse. In my case it wasn't only this mid and post minoxidil shed, but also the fact that I was getting black bags under my eyes which made my whole face look older as well. Either way. Do with this information what you like.

any updated picture???