Minoxidil - Is There A Way To Counter The Collagen Reduction Factor?

glideoverthis

My Regimen
Reaction score
Like the title says? is there a way to make sure its not making you age faster?

I am thinking about using Nizoral and Minoxidil, finasteride scares me....

I am also currently taking these supplements. Green tea, circumin, pumpkin seed oil, saw palmetto, and a multivitamin. Three of these naturally reduce DHT levels, so I don't see why I can't see some results. There is also lots of ant inflammation properties in these

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil inhibits lysyl hydroxylase, a critical enzyme in collagen production. This is terrible for your skin. You can potentially avoid this issue with careful topical use but I don't believe there is anything you can do if you take it orally.

Minoxidil often gets on your pillow, even if you apply it long before going to bed, and gets on your face as you sleep.

Some of the studies are in this thread. If anyone has found a way to counter this let me know - https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...il-on-ultrastructure-and-behavior-of-c.71556/

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can use tretinoin and vitamin c serum to increase skin cell turnover, make sure you wear sunscreen as well

There are also oral collagen supplements, which in theory make up for the loss in collagen production of aging. The data backing their benefit is kind of meh, but I take one just to hedge my bets

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good call. Vitamin C and Iron are the co-factors of lysyl hydroxylase. I have read that biosil is a decent collagen activator. Which collagen supplement are you on?

It is interesting that so many things that promote hair growth are also terrible for collagen production.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score

vinn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil inhibits lysyl hydroxylase, a critical enzyme in collagen production. This is terrible for your skin. You can potentially avoid this issue with careful topical use but I don't believe there is anything you can do if you take it orally.

Minoxidil often gets on your pillow, even if you apply it long before going to bed, and gets on your face as you sleep.

It doesn't matter where you apply it. The effects on your face are from systemic absorption. I'm sure I could apply it to my legs and still wake up with a bloated face.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have never noticed any side effects from Minoxidil in terms of skin...my skin is great however I already have a good skin care routine of washing my face daily+using retina A .1%+using a vitamin c serum in the morning at 20% and using copper peptides twice a week and of course wearing sun block...

You can also take internal collagen.

You can use the foam (doesn't spill over), apply it hours before bed, use it once a day.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never noticed aging of my skin, maybe darker eyes, one thing that was obvious though is bloated face, my mum pointed it out to me, i didn't see it. If aging skin is what you are worried about then retin-a or differin should counteract it.

Last edited:

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Use the minoxidil. Topical solutions would likely only age you after years and years of use which you are signing up for but at that point you’ll be getting wrinkles naturally anyway. Not very many people report this experience. Accepting male pattern baldness causes anxiety. Treating it daily is a constant reminder and causes people to talk themselves out of anything. Don’t be fooled. Find a collagen supp and up your skin care routine if this concerns you. Don’t get discouraged.

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is little to no evidnce that collagen supplements improve your skin quality to the degree in which you can counter the loss internal collagen activation. There is a reason people get face lifts and have fillers injected into their face. Once your collagen starts to decrease, there is really nothing you can do.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is little to no evidnce that collagen supplements improve your skin quality to the degree in which you can counter the loss internal collagen activation. There is a reason people get face lifts and have fillers injected into their face. Once your collagen starts to decrease, there is really nothing you can do.

There is not strong evidence, I agree for oral collagen supplements however there is evidence for topical tretinoin, vitamin c and copper peptides increasing collagen production.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think collagen reduction is going to catch up with you some day nmw just the same as hairloss. It just seems logical that upping your skin care routine with treatments that do have supporting evidence would help stalve off cosmetically noticeable effects for longer than doing nothing. The same as treating hairloss. And if you’re not already in your mid - late 30s when starting minoxidil I really don’t think you’re going to see any resulting changes in skin just within a few years. It seems that it would take longer than that.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I made a topical vitamin C in distilled water and glycerine and I'm applying it to key points on my face. Hoping that can do something. I'm mainly pissed off about the unnatural and awful wrinkles on and around my bottom eye lid. Looks so much more aged than the rest of the face, and none of the people even up to 10 years older have those as pronounced as I do. I got them in the past 2 years since starting Minoxidil. I plan to quit as soon as the bootleg Brotzu lotions become available.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I made a topical vitamin C in distilled water and glycerine and I'm applying it to key points on my face. Hoping that can do something. I'm mainly pissed off about the unnatural and awful wrinkles on and around my bottom eye lid. Looks so much more aged than the rest of the face, and none of the people even up to 10 years older have those as pronounced as I do. I got them in the past 2 years since starting Minoxidil. I plan to quit as soon as the bootleg Brotzu lotions become available.

You may want to test it out first yeah ?

It sounds like you get all the sides from everything !! That’s awful mate. Sorry for you.

Would you consider yourself a hyper-aware person in general ?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
You may want to test it out first yeah ?

It sounds like you get all the sides from everything !! That’s awful mate. Sorry for you.

Would you consider yourself a hyper-aware person in general ?

I've been dealing with nasty health issues for 3 years before I even started treating hair loss, during that time I've already started to listen to my body a lot. On top of that I have anxiety, mostly hormonal, due to hypothyroidism, even though even when I was healthy I had a tendency to be introspective and reserved.

But the thing is, most of those drugs do go systemic. Some people probably are more sensitive than others, but we know minoxidil enters the bloodstream, and so does nearly every topical that you apply to your scalp.

This is why I've started researching advanced delivery methods. I am going to try liposomal preparations at home, I already bought the basic things necessary. They're relatively easy to make, but need some expensive equipment to make them as effective as possible. My idea is to try to contain as much of these topicals to the scalp as possible, because the problem isn't really the lack of drugs, but the fact that they act on the entire body where we don't want them to. Otherwise you could use estradiol and cyproterone acetate locally in your scalp and be largely cured.

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is why I've started researching advanced delivery methods. I am going to try liposomal preparations at home, I already bought the basic things necessary. They're relatively easy to make, but need some expensive equipment to make them as effective as possible.

Would you be able to make a detailed post about this at some point?