minoxidil Foam Vs Liquid, Which Is Better?

tiktak12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, first timer here and total newbie and really need to and want to finally start with a regime.

I was wondering whats the best way and time to apply foam or liquid? (And what are the correct amounts?) I'm reading liquid can be a little aggressive. Should I start with foam? My hair is moderately long on the top and faded on the sides and back.

My mornings are pretty packed. At night, before bed would be ideal. Would that suffice?

If you guys have any good resources on the topic I would love to read them.

Thank you so much!

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe the liquid is definitely superior if you're looking for optimal results. Better vehicle. Also much easier to make sure it's reaching the scalp if you have any length to your hair. Minimum minoxidil protocol imo should be liquid 1x day before bed, since it takes forever to dry

Can supplement with foam in the morning, since it dries quickly

shookwun

Reaction score
Liquid is better.

I have been applying around 3-4ml all over my entire scalp before bed

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, 2.5 years of using foam 1 time a day, I never saw any progress. Probably because it dried too fast, I was not getting much absorption.

Switched to liquid about 7-8 weeks ago, already noticing a change in my scalp condition, hairs regrowing and all that. I will be using foam in the morning and liquid at night since the foam has a good thickening styling effect. But at the moment I do about 2-3ml at night time and whenever I have a free morning I will try to do a morning application as well using liquid. So in a week, probably about 10 applications.

Last edited:

longhair1983

Established Member
Reaction score
For those who think the liquid is better than foam but can't use liquid, have you tried minoxidil liquid without propylene glycol? It is worth giving a try.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Foam, hands down.

This argument over which one is better is pure crap.

Let me say this, you can put more than the prescribed dosage on with FOAM, YOU'LL never have
dandruff.

I don't know anybody who didn't need "Head and Shoulders" shampoo, with all the alchohol and
other crap they put in the liquid Minoxdil.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
For those who think the liquid is better than foam but can't use liquid, have you tried minoxidil liquid without propylene glycol? It is worth giving a try.

NO. It's not.

Nobody FINDS DANDRUFF SEXY. I don't care if you're gay, ninety years old, or surrounded by women who
TAKE THE FEMALE VERSION OF v****.

Even they will VOMIT before you let them lick it.

It's the truth. No race, sexuality finds lots of dandruff ( or any), for that matter.

Unless you go to a school for BLIND PEOPLE.
But even they will feel the flakes, and make an excuse, like they need a break to WATCH THE SOLAR ECLIPSE.

Then you know they find it repulsive.

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone that was following this thread.

Just an update, I gave up very soon after my last post. My hair was getting better (at least I think it was) when I was at the 3 month mark, but my scalp was so itchy, I had to stop. Any gain that I had was lost and I was back to a NW3A style diffuse hair loss.

Fast foward a year, I started minoxidil liquid again in October 2018, forgot to take any photos, hair has been shedding non stop for 3 months. I have taken 3 month photo now. Will take photos each month. Can see some dark hairs on my hairline, dunno if they are from the minoxidil, will see if they grow long or not but for the most part, I just have invisible fuzz.

I think I might improve by the 6 month mark.

I've also been using finasteride for about 4 years now to slow my hair loss but to be honest, I have pretty aggressive frontal baldness for a 24 year old.... will consider a FUE hair transplant soon if minoxidil doesn't help me.

Tim Smith

My Regimen
Reaction score
1 month update on this thread and I'm actually very optimistic about using the minoxidil liquid now. 2 years of foam did nothing for me!

Already, I've seen dark thicker hairs appear on my hairline and temples which have not been there, I've been taking close up pictures every week and compared them and it does seem to be changing for the better, it would probably be hard to tell any difference if just looking from a normal distance though.

I'm going to post pics at 3 months.

Still getting a lot of itchiness and dandruff though so reverted back to daily shampoo.
Hi mate are u just putting it on once a day and is it at night thanks

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's an individual thing. I get better results on the foam for some reason, however, it can be tricky to apply to diffuse loss. My suggestion for this is to apply after showering. This not only makes it easier to apply, but also increases absorption by applying it to a hydrated scalp.

Also, the foam can cause wicked sheds, at least for me.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's an individual thing. I get better results on the foam for some reason, however, it can be tricky to apply to diffuse loss. My suggestion for this is to apply after showering. This not only makes it easier to apply, but also increases absorption by applying it to a hydrated scalp.

8 and a 1/2 weeks in on the foam. I had 0 shedding to speak of.
After rinsing or showering I just part the hair to expose parts of the scalp. Dot the foam onto the scalp from front to back and watch it dissolve. Sometimes it will run. I rub it in and do the back and front hairline and temples.
I can see little hairs, some coloured some not, popping up everywhere on my head and hairline. Not sure about the crown because I can't see the vellus up close, but I require less toppik, for sure.
Oh and I've been needling for about a month now.

Last edited:

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi mate are u just putting it on once a day and is it at night thanks

Yeah just once a day at night about an hour before sleeping, making sure it doesn't run down my forehead, been advised to also drain my face to avoid eye bags and puffyness.

Crazy itch, red scalp though but I will ride through it this time as i'm adamant not to quit, saying that, in the 3 months use, I have had a couple weekends off just to calm the itchiness down. For me, this is ok and I think now that I've shed so much, it really is time (hopefully) for some growth.

Yes everyone is different so I do think if you are reading this and trying to decide what works for you, just try it all? Personally, foam never worked for me in the 2.5 years I used it, I never shed, it got more on the hair than the scalp, but it did make for a good styling product.

The liquid I'm going to stick with and hopefully, as I take monthly pictures, I will have something to report back to you guys.

Tim Smith

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah just once a day at night about an hour before sleeping, making sure it doesn't run down my forehead, been advised to also drain my face to avoid eye bags and puffyness.

Crazy itch, red scalp though but I will ride through it this time as i'm adamant not to quit, saying that, in the 3 months use, I have had a couple weekends off just to calm the itchiness down. For me, this is ok and I think now that I've shed so much, it really is time (hopefully) for some growth.

Yes everyone is different so I do think if you are reading this and trying to decide what works for you, just try it all? Personally, foam never worked for me in the 2.5 years I used it, I never shed, it got more on the hair than the scalp, but it did make for a good styling product.

The liquid I'm going to stick with and hopefully, as I take monthly pictures, I will have something to report back to you guys.
Drain your face ???

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Drain your face ???

Draining the face kind of just means pushing your face (massaging), its pretty common practice to do so when you have a hair transplant as well, when your face gets saturated with water, liquid, it makes the face look quite bloated. As Minoxidil is a Vasodilator, draining the face every so often is good practice (in my opinion).

Anyway, thought I would share my month 3 (130119) and month 4 (090219) pictures. Not a lot of difference, I've taken them as a close up picture and its really difficult to get the exact same angle and same light, which we all know has a massive impact. However, I have noticed I am definitely regrowing, not just at the temple that I have taken the picture but also where I am applying, (the whole frontal zone). In the Month 4, I've highlighted areas that seem to be improving at the temple, I think i'm on the verge of some strong growth so the next 3 months will be important in my treatment. My own personal view having being able to see my whole head, i'm quite happy at the 4 month mark that i'm starting to get the dark vellus hair regrowth which is a great sign for me.

Those of you wondering, I'm using minoxidil 5% once a day at night time, yes I have a crazy scalp itch which comes and goes, trying to ride through the itch for the time being - sometimes I don't apply so maybe in a full week, I am doing about 5-6 out of 7 nights application just to give my scalp some time off.

Also using finasteride about 5 days out of 7. Supplementing my diet with Hair-Vit vitamins.
130119.JPG
090219.jpg

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I squirt the foam onto my scalp and just let it dissolve, I don’t rub it in. Should be working great because since I started two months ago my hair is leaping off my head in waves lmao

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know which is better but I finally started Rogain this week and chose the foam because it seems easier. If it doesn't work I'll switch to liquid, or I like the idea of liquid at night and foam in the morning.

Some background - I've been on finasteride forever and a day and I went to see a doctor for a transplant. He told me 8k for 1000 - 2000 graphs depending on how many they get out of the strip. That wasn't ganna happen, MUCH more than I thought it would be. While I was there he told me to try Rogaine and laser. I'm starting with the Rogaine and let's see what happens.

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know which is better but I finally started Rogain this week and chose the foam because it seems easier. If it doesn't work I'll switch to liquid, or I like the idea of liquid at night and foam in the morning.

Some background - I've been on finasteride forever and a day and I went to see a doctor for a transplant. He told me 8k for 1000 - 2000 graphs depending on how many they get out of the strip. That wasn't ganna happen, MUCH more than I thought it would be. While I was there he told me to try Rogaine and laser. I'm starting with the Rogaine and let's see what happens.

how tolerable has been the sides during all this time ? cheers