minoxidil Foam Vs Liquid, Which Is Better?

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been treating my hairloss since I was 20, I'm 23 now. My hairloss was extremely aggressive which was probably accelerated by unhealthy lifestyle at the time because I was at university.

I was using minoxidil 5% foam for 2 years will no real sign of regrowth or an impact using the minoxidil, because I was using a bunch of other things as well, there was no clear proof if minoxidil was working or not.

I've always had bouts of using the liquid version, but I would stop pretty much within a week/two weeks each time because the insane itch made it unbearable and I would always go back to the foam.

Recently, I noticed that the coverage of the foam sucks, I am a diffuse thinner and I have to cover my entire frontal area, I would apply the foam and because i'm diffuse, the majority of the foam would liquidise on my hair and only a fraction of it would reach my scalp and the contact time was less then 1 minute before it dried up into nothingness. I feel that these last 2 years of minoxidil have hardly been effective because I was probably getting so little absorption.

I decided about 3 weeks ago to give liquid another go, this time I've gone 3 weeks in and I have the insane itch but I'm riding through it, I apply 5ml a day and I kind of feel that its working, there has been a change in my scalp texture, I've shed quite a few hairs and I'm definitely noticing some pigmentation starting on hairs in my temple and hairline.

I've been taking pictures and I'm going to go at least 6 months then post a timeline of progress. I almost feel like minoxidil liquid could be more effective purely because its getting so much more coverage, as I type this I applied minoxidil about 15 minutes ago and my scalp still has minoxidil on it which can only be great absorption compared to the 30 seconds contact with foam.

I want to hear from people who have used both the foam and the liquid, maybe you've experienced similar to what I'm describing?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been treating my hairloss since I was 20, I'm 23 now. My hairloss was extremely aggressive which was probably accelerated by unhealthy lifestyle at the time because I was at university.

I was using minoxidil 5% foam for 2 years will no real sign of regrowth or an impact using the minoxidil, because I was using a bunch of other things as well, there was no clear proof if minoxidil was working or not.

I've always had bouts of using the liquid version, but I would stop pretty much within a week/two weeks each time because the insane itch made it unbearable and I would always go back to the foam.

Recently, I noticed that the coverage of the foam sucks, I am a diffuse thinner and I have to cover my entire frontal area, I would apply the foam and because i'm diffuse, the majority of the foam would liquidise on my hair and only a fraction of it would reach my scalp and the contact time was less then 1 minute before it dried up into nothingness. I feel that these last 2 years of minoxidil have hardly been effective because I was probably getting so little absorption.

I decided about 3 weeks ago to give liquid another go, this time I've gone 3 weeks in and I have the insane itch but I'm riding through it, I apply 5ml a day and I kind of feel that its working, there has been a change in my scalp texture, I've shed quite a few hairs and I'm definitely noticing some pigmentation starting on hairs in my temple and hairline.

I've been taking pictures and I'm going to go at least 6 months then post a timeline of progress. I almost feel like minoxidil liquid could be more effective purely because its getting so much more coverage, as I type this I applied minoxidil about 15 minutes ago and my scalp still has minoxidil on it which can only be great absorption compared to the 30 seconds contact with foam.

I want to hear from people who have used both the foam and the liquid, maybe you've experienced similar to what I'm describing?

I haven't used the foam, but I use 5ml like you. I also had a shed after I started using it and also noticed pigmentation changes. So it sounds like you're on the right track!

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its like the two years using minoxidil foam was not even using minoxidil at all, and now i'm on the liquid it is like the first time I've used minoxidil, my scalp has definitely changed in a short period of time and I'm optimistic.

Last edited:

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed. The foam dries too fast and particularly in diffuse thinners it gets onto hair rather then getting on the scalp.

Also, I was only doing 1 application a day before, but with foam and liquid its impossible to get the recommended 5ml application in, 2 ml easily covers my entire zone. This week I switched it up to 2 applications a day so I am able to meet the recommended dose which I think will really help me.

ForeverLacey, how much are you using per day?

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the foam is easier to apply, i can use one hand on a hand mirror, the other hand on the foam bottle, and control what im doing by applying the foam with one hand only direclty into the scalp, then leave the bottle on the table and then massage the foam into the scalp

the foam i use converts into liquid when i rub it

applying liquids is a pain in the ***, it can run on your face, you need to lean your face in stupid angles to avoid it running down, if you have hair a bit long you need to separate the hair and apply on the scalp in lines, i end up needing big amounts like 5ml, recommended dose being 1ml. i cant be using 10ml of minoxidil a day..

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Been using minoxidil for 20 years, way back with the 2% version when it was a prescription. Got better results with foam over liquid. Everyone is different though.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been using minoxidil for 20 years, way back with the 2% version when it was a prescription. Got better results with foam over liquid. Everyone is different though.

dude i used to read your threads on hlh

you must in your 40s now??

whats your regime now?

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey man. My regimen is basically the big 3. I use emu oil now and then and use nizoral 2% every other day, but other than that, it's finasteride and minoxidil.

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was speaking to the guy who cuts my hair today, and he said that a lot of people who suffer from hair loss that have discussed with him prefer the liquid minoxidil. Purely because it gets on the scalp and stays on for ~30 mins compared to the 1 minute of foam.

When I used foam, it had an amazing thickening effect on my hair, like I had put styling product in, the liquid just leaves it greasy looking so I've had to revert to daily shampoo (I was doing 4x a week before), but using a really mild shampoo.

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys. I cannot use the liquid because its too harsh for my scalp. However, I felt like I would share here since I have a way of using the foam like a liquid. Basically, put the liquid in the cap and run hot water. Next, let the hot water run on the bottom portion of the cap until the liquid melts. Make sure you dont allow any water to spill over into the cap. Once the foam becomes liquid apply it directly to your scalp with your finger tips.

I tried Rogaine back in 2000 and it completely destroyed my scalp after roughly six weeks. I then tried Min Agent for a couple months but it was very greasy and very expensive. Also, the spray bottle was cheap, got clogged easily and ended up get the stuff everywhere. I was never compliant when using foam, but now im approaching 2 months with pretty good compliance 1x per day. The woman who cuts my hair encouraged me to try it. Apparently, quite a few of her clients got results from Rogaine. I do like that foam actually leaves your hair looking pretty good. I would never even consider going out with other Minoxidil products in my hair.

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I then tried Min Agent for a couple months but it was very greasy and very expensive. Also, the spray bottle was cheap, got clogged easily and ended up get the stuff everywhere. I was never compliant when using foam, but now im approaching 2 months with pretty good compliance 1x per day. The woman who cuts my hair encouraged me to try it. Apparently, quite a few of her clients got results from Rogaine. I do like that foam actually leaves your hair looking pretty good. I would never even consider going out with other Minoxidil products in my hair.

Yeah I remember when adahabans or whatever his username was on HLH was going on about Min Agent, tbf I actually really liked it because I applied at night and it felt like it was getting get contact, kinda felt luxurious with the creamy texture. But yeah it was way too expensive to maintain (I only used 2 months) and the bottle was so sh*t.

If they made a updated version with a better bottle and cheaper I would definitely try that again.

4myfuture, I wish that I would be able to do your method but its just so cost-ineffective imo. If you was to squeeze out the entire cannister there is no way that it would be the 60ml of the montly liquid version, I remember using the foam and using a lot of it would cover my scalp but it didnt have that greasy feel and the sustained absorption the liquid has, I completely understand you though its making my scalp irritable and a pro of the foam is the styling effect it has, I could use minoxidil in the morning as my styling product which I really liked about it.

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember ahadabans he was pretty cool...Kinda reminds me of the great stevo and his epic rants...I really like the foam. It seems to be lasting me about a month per bottle and I pretty much fill the cap up. I will say that when it melts it does turn into far less liquid. I do find that a little goes a long way if you apply with the finger tips. Also, I get mine at BJs Wholesale club and can often catch a sale where you get a box of four for $39.99. Def not bad considering Min Agent costs more per bottle plus the pain in the *** to get it shipped. It did seem like a good product but I always had my doubts of whether their concontion compromised the active ingredient. Im using name brand Rogaine so you have that level of confidence that your getting the real deal. It seems like my hair quality is starting to improve as I approach the 2 month mark.

Ps. Were you one of the Theradome laser treatment guys? Cant rememeber...im not currently using mine as I didnt want to compromise the Rogaine effects. I do have two bottles of finasteride that I may start. Still considering that.

resu

Reaction score
Get the gel, it's used for beards but it works also well on the scalp.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I remember ahadabans he was pretty cool...Kinda reminds me of the great stevo and his epic rants...I really like the foam. It seems to be lasting me about a month per bottle and I pretty much fill the cap up. I will say that when it melts it does turn into far less liquid. I do find that a little goes a long way if you apply with the finger tips. Also, I get mine at BJs Wholesale club and can often catch a sale where you get a box of four for $39.99. Def not bad considering Min Agent costs more per bottle plus the pain in the *** to get it shipped. It did seem like a good product but I always had my doubts of whether their concontion compromised the active ingredient. Im using name brand Rogaine so you have that level of confidence that your getting the real deal. It seems like my hair quality is starting to improve as I approach the 2 month mark.

Ps. Were you one of the Theradome laser treatment guys? Cant rememeber...im not currently using mine as I didnt want to compromise the Rogaine effects. I do have two bottles of finasteride that I may start. Still considering that.
I enjoyed Stevo. Wonder what happened to Jacob. Steve and Jacob did post some good info even though they were arch enemies. HLH used to be a very active forum back in the day but this forum has now been more popular and active. Some of the HLH members also posted here too and are still around here.

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1 month update on this thread and I'm actually very optimistic about using the minoxidil liquid now. 2 years of foam did nothing for me!

Already, I've seen dark thicker hairs appear on my hairline and temples which have not been there, I've been taking close up pictures every week and compared them and it does seem to be changing for the better, it would probably be hard to tell any difference if just looking from a normal distance though.

I'm going to post pics at 3 months.

Still getting a lot of itchiness and dandruff though so reverted back to daily shampoo.

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just cannot tolerate that liquid so I have to make it work with the foam.

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just cannot tolerate that liquid so I have to make it work with the foam.

Have you ever tried to use the liquid on rotation? Using the foam ED then occasionally using the liquid?

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I never really thought of that, however the liquid was so harsh for me that Id likely stick with the foam..The key is compliance and I would never stick with the liquid.

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For anyone following this thread, the liquid is definitely working for me, i've got hair growing in dark all over my frontal zone. I'm taking 2 days off the minoxidil though because the itch is so insane right now.

I've got some close up pics but only 4 weeks difference, so I want to wait at least another month to do a comparison.