Minoxidil Caused Sexual Side Effects On My Body

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What I meant is that the doctors are aware of these sides, but never mention them to the patients.

A doctor's financial incentive is actually the exact opposite, to claim that the OTC drug minoxidil may have sexual side effects but prescription-requiring finasteride won't.

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not, she gets a commision/remuneration/call-it-what-you-want for recommending minoxidil-based products. Where I live, the doctors are required to only prescribe active ingredients and there are several brands of finasteride. As far as OTC drugs are concerned, they can recommend brands.

Yes, I posted the study in this thread... But how is a layman supposed to understand the risk 5ARII blocking is associated with? While not even knowing minoxidil blocks it, because he would have to search for scientific articles. That is completely ridiculous. Most people have no idea what DHT or 5ARII are. I didn't when I bought it.

Selling minoxidil as an OTC drug is similar to selling antidepressants, antihypertensives or amphetamines OTC.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Selling minoxidil as an OTC drug is similar to selling antidepressants, antihypertensives or amphetamines OTC.

Selling amphetamines etc. OTC would result in widespread, well-documented negative effects on thousands of people that would result in huge lawsuits, organizations dedicated to fighting it, etc. Instead of the 0 that exist for minoxidil.

Mongoose25

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use rogaine cream and I guess the effect on my erection is the opposite. I do get a lot of watery semen recently maybe because i ejaculate more often otherwise its normal. When it regards to the effect of rogaine i get baby hair on the bald spots both in my head and beard

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
im amazed you are still alive after prolonged exposure to minoxidil

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's exactly the way it works, first you have more sex drive and stronger erections and sooner or later you crash. It's really worth the wait. The initial increase is due to blood vessel dilatation and shrinking prostate.

BTW, I'm still not recovering and I am starting to think the damage is for life. My cousin's ex-husband who is a cardiologist also suggested that long term topical use of minoxidil can irreversibly ruin your heart due to necrosis.

sinusoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does this forum not have moderators? Why does no one step in and delete insane fearmongering crap like this?

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is certainly not fearmongering but reality. Some men can get PFS-like symptoms from topical minoxidil use alone. I don't understand what motivation could I possibly have to fearmonger.

It is always the same. Increase in libido followed by water retention and puffy face, dark circles under eyes, eye irritation, rapid heartbeat and BP fluctuations, 0 libido, numbness of the genitals often followed by ED or complete impotence. The bloodwork often shows low T, high free T or high oestrogens.

If you still doubt that, check these:

http://www.regrowshair.com/general-...ons/does-minoxidil-cause-sexual-side-effects/

https://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20834&name=ROGAINE+EXTRA+STRENGTH+(FOR+MEN)

https://www.hairestorationetwork.co...-however-erectile-dysfunction-still-persists/

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=8951.0

https://www.pegym.com/forums/erecti...-how-do-i-know-if-i-have-ligament-damage.html

https://www.hairestorationetwork.com/topic/33838-sexual-side-effect-by-using-minoxidil-5/

Obviously, all these people are insane and their problems are purely psychological...

Last edited:

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is certainly not fearmongering but reality. Some men can get PFS-like symptoms from topical minoxidil use alone. I don't understand what motivation could I possibly have to fearmonger.

It is always the same. Increase in libido followed by water retention and puffy face, dark circles under eyes, eye irritation, rapid heartbeat and BP fluctuations, 0 libido, numbness of the genitals often followed by ED or complete impotence. The bloodwork often shows low T, high free T or high oestrogens.

If you still doubt that, check these:

http://www.regrowshair.com/general-...ons/does-minoxidil-cause-sexual-side-effects/

https://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20834&name=ROGAINE+EXTRA+STRENGTH+(FOR+MEN)

https://www.hairestorationetwork.co...-however-erectile-dysfunction-still-persists/

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=8951.0

https://www.pegym.com/forums/erecti...-how-do-i-know-if-i-have-ligament-damage.html

https://www.hairestorationetwork.com/topic/33838-sexual-side-effect-by-using-minoxidil-5/

Obviously, all these people are insane and their problems are purely psychological...

ED is incredibly common and happens for a ton of different reasons. As do circles under the eyes etc. (is there a collection of people's facial photos, showing the damage caused by minoxidil? People aren't shy about posting before and after photos for everything else under the sun... how about minoxidil?) Very difficult to be sure about causation.

So bottom line, you think you may have permanent ED because you used topical minoxidil for 40 days? Really, I don't think you should worry about it. Especially as the worry itself can compound the problem, as indeed the cause is often psychological.

As for your cousin's ex husbands comment, is it just his theory? Or is there solid evidence for this?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know it can cause bloated face because my face went extremely puffy when using, don't know about dark circles. I stopped in april, just checked in the mirror under natural light and i have dark circles under my eyes but they may have been there before minoxidil. I feel really dubious about sexual side effects though.

Last edited:

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you explain to me how a strong pulsating feeling in the prostate and testicles which comes and goes, complete numbness and cold genitals can be psychological? By complete, I mean 95%+, and by strong I mean like it's going to explode soon. It is not a typical ED, I can have a 100% erection with lots of stimulation but cannot feel anything. My semen is watery which cannot be psychological either.

My libido and sensitivity went from 100% to 5% in like 2 days. If you read through the links, there were people who had permanent sides after 5 days of use of the 2%. I have contacted them, the same symptoms and some have not recovered in 2 years. Just like finasteride...

It was confirmed by 3 doctors including a senior urologist, they have seen it several times already. I can't get other people's medical records, but I have already posted 2 articles about minoxidil being a anti-androgen. One of them suggest minoxidil as a drug to treat prostate cancer. The urologists have seen these articles and confirmed minoxidil can do that. There are no other causes. Have you even read some of the threads I posted?

As far as the patient with necrosis is concered, he used minoxidil 5% liquid for about 7 years and his papillary muscle showed signs of necrosis exactly as related in the research conducted with rats.

BTW my BP is conatantly 145/95, before minoxidil it was in the neighborhood 115/80. This is not normal either.

I will have my DHT tested next week and post the results. BTW, package inserts of several minoxidil brands mention sexual dysfunction as a side effect so it is not doubtful and dubious but very real. Don't worry, more people will post about it and you'll see. As I have said, exactly the same thing as finasteride, but less common.

Goldrush92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you explain to me how a strong pulsating feeling in the prostate and testicles which comes and goes, complete numbness and cold genitals can be psychological? By complete, I mean 95%+, and by strong I mean like it's going to explode soon. It is not a typical ED, I can have a 100% erection with lots of stimulation but cannot feel anything. My semen is watery which cannot be psychological either.

My libido and sensitivity went from 100% to 5% in like 2 days. If you read through the links, there were people who had permanent sides after 5 days of use of the 2%. I have contacted them, the same symptoms and some have not recovered in 2 years. Just like finasteride...

It was confirmed by 3 doctors including a senior urologist, they have seen it several times already. I can't get other people's medical records, but I have already posted 2 articles about minoxidil being a anti-androgen. One of them suggest minoxidil as a drug to treat prostate cancer. The urologists have seen these articles and confirmed minoxidil can do that. There are no other causes. Have you even read some of the threads I posted?

As far as the patient with necrosis is concered, he used minoxidil 5% liquid for about 7 years and his papillary muscle showed signs of necrosis exactly as related in the research conducted with rats.

BTW my BP is conatantly 145/95, before minoxidil it was in the neighborhood 115/80. This is not normal either.

I will have my DHT tested next week and post the results. BTW, package inserts of several minoxidil brands mention sexual dysfunction as a side effect so it is not doubtful and dubious but very real. Don't worry, more people will post about it and you'll see. As I have said, exactly the same thing as finasteride, but less common.
Man I haven't done a blood test (dht, testorone, etc) yet, but after a month and a half without using minoxidil I'm feeling much better: ED has almost dissapeard, my testicles are reaching the normal size (when I was on minoxidil they were smaller), my libido is 85-90% and I dont have pain chest and dizziness anymore. Also my face skin recovered collagen and is elastic and young again. I'm eating healthy food (avocado, eggs with oatmeal, fruits, omega 3 pills, two l-arginine pills per week, and a maca coffee-spoon per day). These changes recovered my confidence a lot. Hope you get better and keep informing about this topic.

Btg

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

can you give the names of these doctors ?

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know how the names of the doctors I visited are going to help you, but if you are still in doubt, I've seen the following doctors from this hospital (there is no English version of this site, but you can use Google Translate):

/I have deleted the details to protect privacy,/

Apart from my GP, I have also seen another dermatologist who confirmed these side effects. They all believe the side effects should go away within 6 months or so, but as I have said earlier, many sufferers did not recover far beyond the 1 year mark. Yesterday, my GP stated that I have persistent tachycardia and high BP. He also noticed muscle twitches on my face and all around my body (I did not even tell him that).

The urologists believe that minoxidil has an extreme affinity to the androgen receptor and while DHT is able to stay bound for up to 6 months, minoxidil has the potential to stay several times as long as DHT. Even when it's gone, the androgen receptor is suppressed and sometimes unable to recover. Regulatory bodies in my country are now looking into the issue and will re-test anti-androgenic properties of minoxidil. I've talked to people at the State Institute for Drug Control and they've had several reports of sexual side effects before as well as persistent tachycardia/hypertension for more than one year. A few patients even though they were having a heart attack and were hospitalized. There is a possibility that the drug will no longer be OTC or even banned where I live.

Last edited:

Marco-Polo

My Regimen
Reaction score
The sexual side effects of Minoxidil are very real. I have the same symptoms that some users posted here for nearly 2 years (libido loss, sexual dysfunction). Also, as MoonlightDancer noted, there are nonsexual side effects such as eyelid twitching, I experienced this for nearly 1 year after Minoxidil usage.
I really hate the fact that some people come here on this forum and try to tell us that our symptoms are somehow imaginatory. There are literally hundred of people on the Internet complaining about sexual side effects. The same thing happened with Finasteride, where people on the Internet posted about the side effects and some people on forums claimed that is all made up. Now we know that Finasteride can cause Post-Finasteride Syndrome with significant sexual side effects. Where are those people now to say "sorry I was wrong"?
Its the same thing with Minoxidil. It will take some time until sexual side effects will become known and visible to the wider public, and then no doubt there will be lawsuits.
What has been going on until now is a huge scandal: An OTC drug is sold to young healthy men, which are then affected my (possibly) life-long sexual side effects.

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost 3 months since I quit and the sexual dysfunction is still there, it gradually improved maybe by about 20%. If it goes on like this, I will be fine in "just" 15 months. I've had several other guys with exactly the same symptoms message me since I last posted here. Thinking that sudden complete genital numbness and severely decreased semen volume are psychological is absolutely ridiculous. The same applies to the dark circles under eyes which appeared out of the blue. People randomly started asking if something was wrong with me. This article confirms this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2826267

Furthermore, my GP told me that minoxidil is suspected of depleting the body of B12 vitamin and probably interacts with iodine and iron causing adrenal/thyroid dysfunction. After megadoses (talking about 10x the recommended daily dose) of all of these (I've had B12 injections), zinc and magnesium citrate with B6 I stared to feel a bit better and my heart no longer races. The next step suggested by my doctors is a thorough detox.

I still don't understand why you need confirmation of every single side effect. People do not report them to make fun of others, they do it to warn the community about issues that can arise. They are not hypochondriacs or liars. They do it so that others do not have to go through the same thing. Obviously, there will be more cases as minoxidil is becoming more and more popular and eventually it will have the same warning that finasteride has.

As far as finasteride is concerned, people reported side effects. Others said it was anecdotal and could not happen etc. Because there is no proof, it was caused by something else and so on and so forth. It is completely "normal" that 2X year olds experience erectile dysfunction out of the blue which coincides exactly with the use of hair-loss drugs. Clearly it wasn't caused by something else and now there are several thousand men around the world suffering from permanent damage done to their bodies.

Altogehter, I know 3 people who took finasteride one of whom is my mother's boyfriend who took it for BPH for 10 years. He stopped 8 months ago and his sexual function is gradually recovering, but he is still not even halfway there. The other 2 guys took 1 mg to treat AA, one of them had mild side effects and recovered fast, and it took 6+ months for the other one to feel normal again. All of them were told it was psychological and they should continue taking the medication, but all of them were reasonable enough to taper off of it. The doctors suggested they make an appointment with a psychologist/sexuologist. Counselling surely helps a ton when you're suffering from androgen deprivation.

Johnson and Johnson (Rogaine manufacturer) sold the "harmless" talcum baby powder which surely did not hurt any of the 22 women who got cancer because of it... The same thing applies to PDE5 inhibitors which caused sudden deafness or even blindness in some men even though it is rare. Several Merck drugs were pulled off the market after being approved by the FDA.

BTW, the stats say that tghe FDA received about 100 complaints about erectile dysfunction from Minoxidil and still has not taken action...

MINOXSE

My Regimen
Reaction score
I already stopped using 6 months ago, the first week i note that my erection and libido was better and a week and a half later started to be difficult again but better then when this started, but i still don't have erections during the day, not excited like before, not having morning woods and i don't have easy erections before sex or when i'm kissing a girl, i'm only 23 years old...
exact same things happened wid me in may 2017. Whats ur update is now ???