Minoxidil Caused Sexual Side Effects On My Body

Marco-Polo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also have sexual side effects from taking Minoxidil (libido loss, erectile dysfunction, no morning wood), and I have those side effects for a year now. I never had any health problems before, and I fear those side effects will be permanent. Maybe only a minority are affected by Minoxidil, but the side effects are real.
To claim that Minoxidil does not cause these effects or "It's all in your head, bro" reminds me of people who said the same things about Finasteride.
Minoxidil is a very toxic drug, you can browse hundreds of patient reports in the Internet. So, all of those people lying and making things up ?

DaisyM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi!
I looked all over and I don't see any female complaining about losing sex drive while on minoxidil. Or maybe they just don't use it or don't care about it.
Female here talking, 29, using minoxidil 5% for about 3 or 4 years. I had "normal" sex drive but a few months after I started minoxidil, it disappeared. Only now, years later, I though what could it be, and made a research about minoxidil and loss of libido and BAM, lots of cases. But all men.
I don't take the birth control pill (I took it a few years back) and my hormones were normal a few months ago.

My blood pressure is unusually low, so I asked for lab tests on aldosterone, renine, angiotensine and so on to see if minoxidil is affecting my blood pressure too. I am going to test again the levels of testosterone, estrogen and shbg to see if there is any problem. After that I am going to stop doing minoxidil and a few months later I will test the same stuff.

Just wanted to share this with you, in case you are interested in following my case to know the results.
Didn't want to start a new topic because there are lots of them and people usually don't like new topics about the same issue.

Thank you!

bryan0781

My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, sorry about my english, i hope u guys understand!

I know a lot of people will desagree with the info that minoxidil cause sexual side effects, but if you search you will find thousands of mens complaining about it, and i am one of these guys.

I used minoxidil for a month and a half and i see a drop of my libido and for the first time in my life a have Erectyle disfunction and i couldn't have sex with my girlfriend, the things started to get worse, 1 week and a half without have any tipe of erection and my semen started to be watery, so i think that the minoxidil could be the case and i stopped and i started to get better again, but only for a week and my libido dropped again, well here i am 6 months after this things, i can have a erection but with dificult, my ejaculation is not stronger like before and if i don't keep estimulating my penis he become soft again, i don't have espontaneus erections during the day and morning woods happens sometimes, i'm very worried about it, anyone has passed for it? Anyone has a solution? (it's not psychological, this poison affect my body and i'm no more the same that before)
i had the same problem with minoxidil low libido so i stopped using it.I tried over the years hundreds of different treatments.You name it, and i have tried it.Saw palmetto, nizoral, propecia,laser comb,revivogen, tricomin ,biotin shampoo ,avodart and so on. None worked.I have always liked japanese products known for their high quality,like my toshiba laptop or nissan automobile.I found ikumou japanese hair loss shampoo on ebay,so i said let me try it.This was 2 years ago.FLAT OUT stopped my hair loss.Like i said i like japanese products.

Shpam

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used a minoxidil product called hairintegro for only a month starting in January of 2018 it's advertised as a 5% oral capsule. I noticed sexual side effects after 3 or 4 weeks. Before making possibly one of the worst decisions of my life like a total idiot. I had a libido of a 16 year old. Then it was like a light switch. Now my penis barely works. As soon as I realized what was happening I stopped taking the pills and had a some recovery but it's relapsed. I know it's not a mental issue. Say what you choose. I'm going to see my family doctor first then probably a urologist and endocrinologist. I'll post any progress in an attempt to help anyone else dealing with the same side effects. God please let there progress!? From what I have read from others effected it can be a long road and possibly permanent

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have also used topical Minoxidil 5% 1ml twice daily for about 40 days. I quit using it a month ago due to loss of penile sensitivity, facial bloating and dark rings under my eyes. During the past 30 days I have experienced testicular pain, low-volume watery semen and now my testicles keep tingling almost all day. There has been very little improvement. I can get a 100% erection, but have no libido and the penis is very insensitive. I have seen a urologist, who told me that the side effects are most likely caused by suppression of androgen receptors (as all hormone levels are within range). He said that the suppression is never permanent (even with the strongest medication available), but it can take many months (or several years in the most extreme cases) to get better.

He believes that minoxidil has much stronger antiandrogenic properties than finasteride or even dutasteride, at least in case of the receptors as it should not lower DHT. My dermatologist also said that if minoxidil were not an antiandrogen, it would never have the ability to regrow hair in men with AA. So everybody who kept saying that it's all in our heads, seems to have been wrong. Minoxidil does cause ED and other libido issues which persist long after treatment. It can also cause other symptoms such as muscle spasms after quitting (when the ARs in the muscles are waking up and testosterone starts binding to them), constipation/diarrhea (due to the existence of ARs inside of intestines) and depression/anxiety, again because testosterone does not bind to the suppressed AR's. All of this can also mess with your thyroid, which it did in my case. They've had other patients with these issues and all of them have recovered. Some of them started recovering after the hair grown by minoxidil fell out/thinned, some of them took even longer to get better.

The urologist and his colleagues (one of whom is an endocrinologist) also said that the drug can stay in your system far longer than you would think (meaning months) as it binds to the receptors instead of testosterone/DHT. I am seeing and andrologist this tuesday, so I will ask him if there are some ways of jump-starting our systems or at least speeding up the recovery.

Don't use the stuff. Either get a hair transplant or come to terms with your baldness. It's just not worth it.

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
And as for you Shpam, you actually seem to have used saw palmetto, because your product comprises of pills and topical solution. The pills contain saw palmetto and the topical part is a 5% minoxidil solution. Oral minoxidil is prescription only. Both saw palmetto and minoxidil could have caused your problems. Visit a doctor and try waiting it out, sometimes it takes many months.

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't understand why everybody posts about their issues and then they never even respond or update. I've had these issues for 1.5 month now. Anyone who fully recovered from numbness/ED after Minoxidil. Once again, it's not psychological, my testicles tingle all the time and I have other symptoms such as high free testosterone. I've heard of people who have suffered from this for more than a year. I haven't even overdosed and have only used it on dry hair. How many months does it usually take to get better?

Goldrush92

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have also used topical Minoxidil 5% 1ml twice daily for about 40 days. I quit using it a month ago due to loss of penile sensitivity, facial bloating and dark rings under my eyes. During the past 30 days I have experienced testicular pain, low-volume watery semen and now my testicles keep tingling almost all day. There has been very little improvement. I can get a 100% erection, but have no libido and the penis is very insensitive. I have seen a urologist, who told me that the side effects are most likely caused by suppression of androgen receptors (as all hormone levels are within range). He said that the suppression is never permanent (even with the strongest medication available), but it can take many months (or several years in the most extreme cases) to get better.

He believes that minoxidil has much stronger antiandrogenic properties than finasteride or even dutasteride, at least in case of the receptors as it should not lower DHT. My dermatologist also said that if minoxidil were not an antiandrogen, it would never have the ability to regrow hair in men with AA. So everybody who kept saying that it's all in our heads, seems to have been wrong. Minoxidil does cause ED and other libido issues which persist long after treatment. It can also cause other symptoms such as muscle spasms after quitting (when the ARs in the muscles are waking up and testosterone starts binding to them), constipation/diarrhea (due to the existence of ARs inside of intestines) and depression/anxiety, again because testosterone does not bind to the suppressed AR's. All of this can also mess with your thyroid, which it did in my case. They've had other patients with these issues and all of them have recovered. Some of them started recovering after the hair grown by minoxidil fell out/thinned, some of them took even longer to get better.

The urologist and his colleagues (one of whom is an endocrinologist) also said that the drug can stay in your system far longer than you would think (meaning months) as it binds to the receptors instead of testosterone/DHT. I am seeing and andrologist this tuesday, so I will ask him if there are some ways of jump-starting our systems or at least speeding up the recovery.

Don't use the stuff. Either get a hair transplant or come to terms with your baldness. It's just not worth it.

Man I'm from Argentina and I've experienced the same synthoms. I had been using minoxidil for two months and a half in my beard because I saw that it's the only treatment to have a thicker one when I began to feel less libido and ED, so I read the prospect ( the brand is "Ylox 5%") and named ED as one of the side effects. I am 26 years old and athletic, never in my life had experienced such a a thing, so stopped using it a week ago and I'm gonna see a doctor (endochrynologist or urologist). Tell me if you feel better and what your doctor said please. Thank you

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, sorry about my english, i hope u guys understand!

I know a lot of people will desagree with the info that minoxidil cause sexual side effects, but if you search you will find thousands of mens complaining about it, and i am one of these guys.

I used minoxidil for a month and a half and i see a drop of my libido and for the first time in my life a have Erectyle disfunction and i couldn't have sex with my girlfriend, the things started to get worse, 1 week and a half without have any tipe of erection and my semen started to be watery, so i think that the minoxidil could be the case and i stopped and i started to get better again, but only for a week and my libido dropped again, well here i am 6 months after this things, i can have a erection but with dificult, my ejaculation is not stronger like before and if i don't keep estimulating my penis he become soft again, i don't have espontaneus erections during the day and morning woods happens sometimes, i'm very worried about it, anyone has passed for it? Anyone has a solution? (it's not psychological, this poison affect my body and i'm no more the same that before)

Look, if that's the way you feel, try 2% Minoxidil.

See if your sexual side effects don't go away. To be honest, I think that is just
imagined.

I've heard of sides like that with anti androgens, but sorry, not Minoxidil.

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. Antiandrogens. Because Minoxidil is a very powerful anti-androgen as several researchers have suggested. Read these 2:

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._expression_in_a_human_keratinocyte_cell_line

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

Happened to me to and the sides persist 2 months after quitting with no change. It is definitely not imagined, the drug is a super powerful AR antagonist. Some people suffered from persistent ED/numbness for months/years. Do not even think about trying the 2%. If you continue, you might cause more damage to your body and never recover.

Goldrush92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Very complete research. I assume that I will recover by doing exercise, eating healthy and selected food, and being relaxed; but I will go to the doctor anyway. Here at least the companies put ED as a "non-common side effect" I dont know how it is in the USA or the rest of the world. A LOT of people use minoxidil and there is a lot of people selling it, it's a serious issue and is necessary that people people know about the dangerous side effects so they can make a better choice before putting it on the skin.

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I've read, exercise and nutrition seem to have nothing to do with the recovery. Some of the guys claim to have recovered after eating junk food, getting drunk and smoking pot.

Do you experience ED, or also numbness? For me, it's mainly numbness/loss of sensitivity and of libido.

Goldrush92

My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I've read, exercise and nutrition seem to have nothing to do with the recovery. Some of the guys claim to have recovered after eating junk food, getting drunk and smoking pot.

Do you experience ED, or also numbness? For me, it's mainly numbness/loss of sensitivity and of libido.

Yes, the both, numbness and loss of libido. I'm getting better every day since I left it. I specially recovered my libido, but my erections are not hard as it used to be yet. Maybe you are right exercise and healthy food is not the cure but there are ways to increase receptors and hormones, almost all of them are related with weightlifting, and eating certain types of food and supplements.

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I'm doing that too to increase my chances of a full recovery. It definitely cannot hurt. I also started taking Mucuna Pruriens, Tribulus Terrestris, L-Arginine, L-Carnitine and Creatine. As of right now, there is still not much improvement (55 days since quitting) but I am hoping to get better in the following months. I have low T, high free T and high blood sugar. All these problems have been mentioned before by others who had these issues. I am extremely annoyed and angry, because minoxidil is sold as an OTC drug.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm doing that too to increase my chances of a full recovery. It definitely cannot hurt. I also started taking Mucuna Pruriens, Tribulus Terrestris, L-Arginine, L-Carnitine and Creatine. As of right now, there is still not much improvement (55 days since quitting) but I am hoping to get better in the following months. I have low T, high free T and high blood sugar. All these problems have been mentioned before by others who had these issues. I am extremely annoyed and angry, because minoxidil is sold as an OTC drug.

because very few people seem to experience these side effects

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, and for a small percentage of those who experience them, the side effects are permanent.

It won't be 'very few people' , because 4 guys have reported this in my small town alone and I highly doubt that there are more than a few dozen who use minoxidil) (a hundred and something at max).

I'd say it is all a beautiful cover-up.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, and for a small percentage of those who experience them, the side effects are permanent.

It won't be 'very few people' , because 4 guys have reported this in my small town alone and I highly doubt that there are more than a few dozen who use minoxidil) (a hundred and something at max).

I'd say it is all a beautiful cover-up.

A cover-up by... Google? And every website hosting firm? Because people aren't, like, shy about making websites and communities and forming groups and filing lawsuits related to their grievances. Quite the opposite. And a hell of a lot of people take minoxidil, it must be many many many times the number of people that take finasteride. But where's the community like this for sufferers of minoxidil? Where's the class-action lawsuit in any way related to sexual side effects? I'm not saying the links don't exist, but could you post them if they do?

MoonlightDancer

My Regimen
Reaction score
It must be due to the fact that it is a topical and thus the side effects are usually mild, disappear quickly and so the sufferers don't complain. Some, however, get hit real hard. Also, the dermatologist refused to report these side effects (which she has a legal obligation to do where I live). She knew about them all the time, which she eventually admitted despite the fact that she initially told me such effects are not possible. These sides are definitely rare, but not as rare as you might think.

What I meant is that the doctors are aware of these sides, but never mention them to the patients. The dermatologist (and the distributor) specifically stated that Minoxidil is not an anti-androgen, which obviously is not the truth. Do you think the companies who sell Minoxidil are not aware about the anti-androgenic effects? I highly doubt that. It's been on sale for about 30 years to treat androgenetic alopecia and nobody tested it for anti-androgenic properties?

But that's not what really matters now - the main goal is to recover. Obviously, I'll never touch Minoxidil or any other hair loss drugs again.