Micropigmentation at nhi

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has considered or had scalp micropigmentation done at nhi (dr. rassman's clinic)? I guess he's been doing it for a few months now. The site is here http://www.scalpmicropigment.com/ and to me the photos look really good. Click on clients at the top of the page and then "smp for a bold look" for the photo galleries. Basically it sounds like head tattooing with a different name. Head tattooing always sounded like a pretty extreme, risky solution with a good chance of looking stupid/obvious and potentially turning blue after several years...but with dr. rassman, who seems like a pretty legit guy, doing it, that kind of changes things. I don't think he'd do something sketchy that might turn out bad because he'd ruin his reputation as a surgeon and potentially open himself up to lawsuits...

So I'm wondering what others'opinions are on the photos, or has anyone had it done or looked into it?

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a massive fan of the procedure and plan on getting it done some time next year. I'd recommend looking into www.hishairclinic.com though. The guy who invented the technique founded His hair clinic and to me their gallery looks the most impressive. It is a British company but they run clinics in the US.

BenVegas01

Reaction score
Hmmm...

IMO it doesn't look natural. At least having a shaved head does. How could anybody take you seriously if they knew you were so afraid of being bald, that you resorted to a head tatoo? Ruins the 'bold' thing if you ask me.

Sure its no more a sign of insecurity than getting a hair transplant - but the hair can frame your face so you look completely different.

Alot of girls actually like guys with shaved heads, but most would fall over laughing at a head tatoo of fake hair. And the ones i have seen look wrong... its very hard to get the same 3D look as real hair...

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
All the guys on the forums, giving testimonials etc all say that nobody notices and their lives have improved. If every single person in the world was a hair loss sufferer who had looked into the procedure, then you'd be at risk of getting found out, but this is not the case. When people see Ian who invented the procedure and had it done on himself, they are amazed by the fact it isn't real hair- nobody can tell!

T

TravisB

This gallery is convincing: http://his.lhmshowcase.com/gallery/

These are very close up photos. IMO, normal people, who don't even know that tattoo like that exists, won't have a clue. The thing is not to overdo it (don't put the too dense, too dark tattoo, and don't do a too low hairline).

This tattoo looks very natural:

gallery-26.jpg

gallery-28.jpg

On the other hand, the guy on the left at 3:34 here look fake. I think he overdone it, the tattoo on the top is too dense and too dark compared with the sides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk-NMG8Anu0

If I'll ever go bald, I'm going to consider it. The main concern is will it not fade to gray? And also, when you'll get older, and when your horseshoe starts becoming grey, it could look stupid :mrgreen:

s.a.f

Reaction score
I think it looks great - at a certain distance. But as I've pointed out before its obvious very close up. Look at your beard stubble you can see its actually protruding from your face. Sure it would work for a while but sooner or later someone will notice that its just a spot and then the game is up.
And its been mentioned before also that people love to touch a shaved head and when they feel smooth skin rather than stubble the game will also be up.

triplethreat1

Reaction score
saf got it right...its something that 9 outa ten ppl wont notce but sooner or later someone will ... and it will be loudest person in the room.

For me they do the lines too clean. Too sharp. The look isnt exactly natural but all your male mates colleages etc who may have hair but are secret loosers and Norwood spotters will wonder how have you went from balding to a straight edged hairline and look closer and hence the game is up.

Its no better than a wig. It will be found it. It never grows and as you age you still have a straight edged hairline. Just not natural.

Its a bit like a girl on a night out with fake tan..looks good but in the light of day it just looks piss!!

my 2 cents....

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
The pigment will fade (not completely) and can be safely and easily removed/ redone to reflect a more mature look. It is permanent in the sense that you're making a commitment and don't have to worry about it washing off/ looking less natural over time, but it can be removed/ touched up etc. I know loads of guys who keep their heads completely shaved and nobody scrutinizes them. If you're just worried about looking weird when you're older, then think what's more important to you- enjoying your more youthful years with confidence, or having a little problem to deal with when you're older. You can always just laugh about it as an old man, treating it as a 'regretful decision.' Nobody judges you on something you did 30 years ago.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Then again, I only need my hairline lowering, so have much less of a chance of being caught out.

triplethreat1

Reaction score
It looks ridicolous.

Ive never liked that look on even a young guy that actually has hair let alone a 30yr old with a drawn on looking hairline.

For me its hair or shave it off. This looks terrible. A man with a sharp angled shaved head just doesnt fly.

wendal

Established Member
Reaction score
This 'procedure' is a real catch 22.

Pros-It's basically a permenant concealer. Unlike toppik, dermmatch it does not wash off in the shower, swimming or come off when you run your hands thru it.

Cons-It's PERMANENT. You can't just reverse it so easily. Yes it can be removed via lazer but from what I understand you can do a lot of damage to your scalp such as scarring in doing so. Not sure if you can actually damage hair follicles. I'd hate to hate this done and then five years down the road replicel or something finally hits the market only your follicles have been damaged and your stuck with a tattoo while everyone else doing a victory dance over the cure.

So basically the very thing that's great about it is also it's biggest downfall, it being permanent. I WISH this was not done like a tattoo. What would be perfect is a kind of semi permanent ink that does not penetrate the skin that can last about a year or so before either having it washed off with some kind of 'special soap' or having a touch up job done for another year. But if grandma had balls she'd be grandpa.

D

Dude,Where'sMyHair

stableforehead said:
The pigment will fade (not completely) and can be safely and easily removed/ redone to reflect a more mature look. It is permanent in the sense that you're making a commitment and don't have to worry about it washing off/ looking less natural over time, but it can be removed/ touched up etc. I know loads of guys who keep their heads completely shaved and nobody scrutinizes them. If you're just worried about looking weird when you're older, then think what's more important to you- enjoying your more youthful years with confidence, or having a little problem to deal with when you're older. You can always just laugh about it as an old man, treating it as a 'regretful decision.' Nobody judges you on something you did 30 years ago.

You say you can fix the fading, but what about if it turns blue or green over time?

Can you touch up an older look that has turned bluish in color like a doctor commented about seeing on closer inspection on another site?

I believe that it can be undone with a Ruby laser without permanent damage to the skin and without damaging the hair follicles, if done right, but how do you deal with the bluish tint should it arise. That is a pressing concern for me.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude said:
stableforehead said:

You say you can fix the fading, but what about if it turns blue or green over time?

Can you touch up an older look that has turned bluish in color like a doctor commented about seeing on closer inspection on another site?

I believe that it can be undone with a Ruby laser without permanent damage to the skin and without damaging the hair follicles, if done right, but how do you deal with the bluish tint should it arise. That is a pressing concern for me.

The guys at HIS hair clinic developed this procedure, and although they cannot say what will happen 20 years down the line, there are people who had it done in 2002. Their treatment still looks perfect. The technicians have no reason whatsoever to believe that the pigments will turn blue as they do not use regular tattoo ink. If I could get 10 years out of it, I'd be happy. They offer a removal procedure which I imagine would be free had the pigment turned blue, after which you could be 10 years older and visibly bald, or get it redone and have another 10 years with it. And to the guy who said he didn't like this look full stop, then thats not really an issue. People with full heads of hair choose sharp shaven styles without a care in the world what one guy somewhere might think.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I think it looks great - at a certain distance. But as I've pointed out before its obvious very close up. Look at your beard stubble you can see its actually protruding from your face. Sure it would work for a while but sooner or later someone will notice that its just a spot and then the game is up.
And its been mentioned before also that people love to touch a shaved head and when they feel smooth skin rather than stubble the game will also be up.

Now I know about the procedure, I often try to spot out people who have had it done. The only way someone is going to know, is if they've had it done themselves, or have looked into having it done. I'm sure these people would be understanding enough not to spread it around anyway. I think people worry too much about being found out when its unlikely to ever happen.

I cut my own hair, longer in the frontal area, and shaved at the sides, and apply dermmatch beyond my hairline, so that I don't have to worry about my hairline becoming exposed. Nobody has ever noticed, and sometimes I'm quite generous with it. I even used it to draw small sideburns on once (weirdo I know) and the only comment I got was that I was starting to get granny hairs for sideburns. With a procedure that actually replicates hair follicles, somebody's gonna have to know that you have it to actually spot it.

Peter_mac

Reaction score
I think about doing this procedure myself.

I've talked with someone who do it professionaly at my area. He invited me to meet with people who done it and take a look myself. He said there is simply no way to tell the pigment from real shaved hair, not by touch and not at any distance. The only way to tell is if you aren't shaving your hair frequently enough.

My concern for myself is different. A shaved look can look good on some people, but not for other. It really depends on the shape of your head, face, nose, etc. I wonder if someone can provide an accurate simulation for how i'd look after doing this.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Peter_mac said:
He said there is simply no way to tell the pigment from real shaved hair, not by touch and not at any distance. The only way to tell is if you aren't shaving your hair frequently enough.

Did he also sell you some magic beans? So tattoo'd dots stick out from the skin and also feel like stubble?

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone making claims like that is likely trying to flog a dodgy product. MHT is most certainly not a perfect solution to hair loss, but no such thing exists yet anyway. I must sound like I work for them (I do not) but HIS hair clinics really do seem to offer a brilliant service and do not make these dodgy claims. I've seen the results at NHI, and vinci hair clinic, and they're nowhere near HIS standards. The only problem I have with the gallery is how everyone seems to have a perfect/ defined hairline. I'm sure this is not compulsory of course, there will just be many young guys attracted to the product. The way I see it, it would look great, nobody would be able to tell unless inspecting up close (which never really happens) and if somebody did find out, big deal? I know that men are supposed to be men these days but there's nothing wrong with wanting to look our best- if it makes you feel better about yourself, then what do you have to lose?

wendal

Established Member
Reaction score
stableforehead said:
Someone making claims like that is likely trying to flog a dodgy product. MHT is most certainly not a perfect solution to hair loss, but no such thing exists yet anyway. I must sound like I work for them (I do not) but HIS hair clinics really do seem to offer a brilliant service and do not make these dodgy claims. I've seen the results at NHI, and vinci hair clinic, and they're nowhere near HIS standards. The only problem I have with the gallery is how everyone seems to have a perfect/ defined hairline. I'm sure this is not compulsory of course, there will just be many young guys attracted to the product. The way I see it, it would look great, nobody would be able to tell unless inspecting up close (which never really happens) and if somebody did find out, big deal? I know that men are supposed to be men these days but there's nothing wrong with wanting to look our best- if it makes you feel better about yourself, then what do you have to lose?

I agree about the low hair lines. Anyone who does this (no matter what age) should shoot for a hairline that's much more sublte and conservative. The lower hairlines can look pretty fake. And you're right, there currently is no perfect solution to hairloss. EVERYTHING that's available to us has some kind of risk. It just depends on the indivudual whether it's worth taking the risk to win their confidence back or being able to accept being bald and move on with your life. I personally cannot accept looking bald and if my thinning ever gets bad enough I will consider HIS hair clinic as a option. Also I'm a diffuse thinner so i believe that tattoo ink would blend it nicley with my real hair.

As far as someone find out? I wouldnt go around advertising it, but if someone found I wouldnt be mortified like I would if someone found out I wore a wig. It wouldnt even be that big of a deal because you simply shave your head and use the ink as a permeanent concealer. No big deal at all really.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
You may not like the style he's gone for (I do) but I think this guy's treatment look brilliant. Pretty much his whole head has been done.

T

TravisB

Whoa, it looks very good. But the lighting is poor and the image is not sharp, so it can look better on this photo than in real life. It also looks to me like he still have some stubble.

Where did you find this photo?