Microneedling Without Minoxidil - Can It Work?

Can microneedling without minoxidil work?

• Total voters

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing is, minoxidil wont do sh*t on a completely bald head. So in comparison with that, yeah wounding would be more effective for that kind of group. But then you'd need to add min to speed up the growth.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I'll be damned, if what I'm reading is true, that study suggests that dermaneedling is actually more effective on its own than minoxidil.
Amazing. Why isn't this more widepsread??

Because:
- There are few studies on dermaneedling, combinedly amounting to, I reckon, no more than 300 patients
- It's painful and its dynamics are somewhat counter-logical
- There is no big money to be made from microneedling devices, even though the potential is there - but nowhere as much as medicines
- It's hard to believe the solution could be so easy after decades, if not centuries, actually millennia of useless efforts

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. This is the evidence I was looking for and I didn't find. It seems microneedling alone yields marginally better results than minoxidil alone, while both treatments combined give nearly twice as good results as single treatment
Well I recently bought an electric derma pen so maybe that will yield better results

keepit

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I recently bought an electric derma pen so maybe that will yield better results
Derma pen might be better Georgie getting one myself going to use it along with Zt spray..did you go for the zt after all?

ZenHead

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Derma pen might be better Georgie getting one myself going to use it along with Zt spray..did you go for the zt after all?
This is exactly what I’m doing, if I don’t see any improvements in a few months I’m gonna use minoxidil too

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
No I didn’t, but I’m trying a few new things atm and just wanting to see how they go.

justlol@you

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
unless minoxidil has been shown to have a positive role in preventing fibrosis/scarring, i dont see the additional benefit, and the side effects of minoxidil range from benign but annoying, to downright concerning. Top it off, apparently a large portion of people are straight up non-responders because they have insufficient amounts of a particular enzyme. That the pernicious side effects of minoxidil are ascribed to the oral intake of the drug, doesn't give me any comfort. It all ends up in the blood. I think its a poor drug overall.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
unless minoxidil has been shown to have a positive role in preventing fibrosis/scarring, i dont see the additional benefit, and the side effects of minoxidil range from benign but annoying, to downright concerning. Top it off, apparently a large portion of people are straight up non-responders because they have insufficient amounts of a particular enzyme. That the pernicious side effects of minoxidil are ascribed to the oral intake of the drug, doesn't give me any comfort. It all ends up in the blood. I think its a poor drug overall.
I’ve taken the oral version since July 2015, and I can tell you that it has been a nightmare. Avoid it.

oleg

My Regimen
Reaction score
What about finasteride+microneedling? could that work better than finasteride alone? anyone doing that? i'm already on finasteride, was thinking of adding microneedling for a long time now

justlol@you

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve taken the oral version since July 2015, and I can tell you that it has been a nightmare. Avoid it.

I'm not saying id take the oral version, I'm saying i wont touch any version of the drug. It seems to be delusional to pretend that rubbing it on your skin instead of swallowing it fundamentally changes how it behaves. would anyone believe this about DHT cream for example? of course not. Minoxidil is a nasty, toxic drug and I believe its toxicity to humans has been downplayed. The FDA approval events around minoxidil are straight up bizarre, it really looks like Upjohn payed some people off big time because how the f*** do you approve of a drug for humans when the people giving you the pilot studies cant even agree upon a MoA??!? o_O

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
How many times you need to use microneedling/dermarolling in order have an effect? Once a week ,alternative days. Once in three days? I mean if I use 1mm needle ,how many times I should do it? And duration of microneedling?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

That's a long time, what were your reactions to it that cause you to call it a nightmare? i have been on it for a couple of months now.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
No heart problems ?
No heart problems ?
Severe facial bloating, rashes all over my body, increased my shedding x 10, dizziness, bowel problems, fatigue, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, really low blood pressure, flu-like symptoms (muscle ache, fatigue, rigors, swollen glands).. list goes on. Oh and the worst? It put my hair into cyclical growth and loss, so I would grow hair for three months, then it would stop working for 3 months and I would lose all the hair I regrew. That went on over and over for these past 3 years and my hair has only gone downhill. The side effects also returned every time it started working again. Now the dose I was taking (2.5mg) no longer works. I tried taking 5mg for a while and ended up passing out in the shower one day and being taken to emergency where it was found that my bp was morbidly low. Only reason I kept taking it is because nothing else every worked, and at least I got SOME regrowth whereas without it every hair on my body became thin and fell out.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Severe facial bloating, rashes all over my body, increased my shedding x 10, dizziness, bowel problems, fatigue, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, really low blood pressure, flu-like symptoms (muscle ache, fatigue, rigors, swollen glands).. list goes on. Oh and the worst? It put my hair into cyclical growth and loss, so I would grow hair for three months, then it would stop working for 3 months and I would lose all the hair I regrew. That went on over and over for these past 3 years and my hair has only gone downhill. The side effects also returned every time it started working again. Now the dose I was taking (2.5mg) no longer works. I tried taking 5mg for a while and ended up passing out in the shower one day and being taken to emergency where it was found that my bp was morbidly low. Only reason I kept taking it is because nothing else every worked, and at least I got SOME regrowth whereas without it every hair on my body became thin and fell out.

Wow, that sounds rough. I have been taking 10mg at night for a couple of months and have none of those problems, heres hoping that continues. Hope you find you hair loss solution.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds rough. I have been taking 10mg at night for a couple of months and have none of those problems, heres hoping that continues. Hope you find you hair loss solution.
Yeah some people are totally fine with it. I literally started on 1mg and got sides straight away. Have you had any regrowth?

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I

I am 25 and never passed out of my life but ONE time. I had started minoxidil for 1-2 months at 1 ml two times a day and went to australia alone so i decided to up my dose at 3-4 ml a day since having greasy hair in front of australians i didnt know did not matter to me. Well in the evening after my last dose my blood pressure was so fuckin low, i was pale like a ghost and i pass out on the floor of my hostel for couple of seconds..

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I

I am 25 and never passed out of my life but ONE time. I had started minoxidil for 1-2 months at 1 ml two times a day and went to australia alone so i decided to up my dose at 3-4 ml a day since having greasy hair in front of australians i didnt know did not matter to me. Well in the evening after my last dose my blood pressure was so fuckin low, i was pale like a ghost and i pass out on the floor of my hostel for couple of seconds..
Sounds about right.