Microdosing Question - Dissolving Finasteride In Rum?

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score
Pure alcohol is pretty expensive where I live, so I was wondering what kind of alcohol would be good enough to dissolve Finasteride in.

The highest percentage I can get at the liquor store is 80%, but it's rum (Stroh Rum), and I can't really find the ingredients but supposedly it's flavored with spices. Does that matter for dissolving the finasteride?

Thanks!

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yarrr, pirate rum :)

When i disolved my finasteride i started out with 40% vodka, i crushed up the pill with the back of a lil spoon and put it in there. I got some pretty strong reactions to it (hair started shedding like crazy and nads where hurting), so it was safe to asume that did the trick. So the % is totally fine, i dont know about the ingredients.. Absynthe also worked great.

Best of luck!

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I ended up buying vodka (50%) because I think the rum is brown and I guess a clear liquid would be better to be able to see if the pill is dissolving. I put it in a few minutes ago (2,5mg in 50ml vodka). I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to start at 0.05mg or 0.1mg daily. Leaning towards the former. If that works my pills will last twice as long, only I'm not sure if the solution is stable enough to last 50 days. I could cut the pill smaller, but because proscar tablets aren't round it's kind of hard to estimate how to cut it into quarters.

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask a stupid question here, so don't laugh, okay? I supposed this is for topical use, right? You're not going to drink it, right? It's how you make topical finasteride?

But why not just take finasteride orally? Did you have sides?

g.i joey

Reaction score
I'm gonna ask a stupid question here, so don't laugh, okay? I supposed this is for topical use, right? You're not going to drink it, right? It's how you make topical finasteride?

its for oral use, just to get small doses

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score

Like ^ said, I did get side effects from 1mg so the alcohol solution is to be able to take smaller doses that I wouldn't be able to cut the pill into.

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, i see. 50%vodka is a very strong liquor though, if you take it everyday for a long time, are you sure your liver can handle it?

What sort of sides do you get? I'm a long time finasteride user, more than 14 years, i did get sides every now and then, but it goes away after a while usually.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am considering trying this soon. I didn't get sexual sides, actually my libido increased at 1.25mg/day. Also, I lost a LOT of hair over one year.

I am wondering if a tiny dose might eliminate enough DHT without my body "noticing" it and going f*cking haywire. I have a strong feeling that at 1.25 mg/day, My body either a) upregulated androgen receptors or b)drastically increased testosterone. Either way, I had scalp inflammation followed by crazy hair loss.

Any opinions on this? Perhaps the secret is to keep the dose very minimal, like .25 / day or EOD.

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, i see. 50%vodka is a very strong liquor though, if you take it everyday for a long time, are you sure your liver can handle it?

What sort of sides do you get? I'm a long time finasteride user, more than 14 years, i did get sides every now and then, but it goes away after a while usually.

Well, it would only be 1ml of 50% alcohol each day, so I doubt that would have a great effect on my liver. That's way less than what you would get from a glass of wine or a can of beer (12,5ml of alcohol).

Side effects I had were that I lost morning and random erections (usually have a lot), decreased semen volume, and less intense orgasms (probably because of the decreased semen volume). I stayed on it for three weeks and then I started feeling a little frustrated so I stopped. Shortly after that my shedding decreased loaaads, and over the next 3 months the amount of shedding slowly has gone back to where it was. So I assume it was the finasteride that did that.

Now that I see how good it works, and I feel pretty positive about future treatments so that I might not have to take finasteride for too long, I think I'll try microdosing to see if it's enough to stop the hair loss for now (I'm 24 now and my male pattern baldness is not very aggressive) with minimal sides. I'm not expecting there to be some sweet spot where it will be effective without giving side effects, I just want to take the smallest amount of finasteride that works for me, because most doctors I have spoken to are apprehensive about someone as young as me being on finasteride in the first place. Hopefully it will still work and the side effects will be bearable. I can live with lower libido for a while if it helps my hair, but I draw the line at ED or gyno.

Also, the hair clinic only gave me one box of proscar only to try and see if it works, so the longer it lasts the better :') I know you can get good stuff online without script but I feel better knowing it came from the pharmacy in town.

I am considering trying this soon. I didn't get sexual sides, actually my libido increased at 1.25mg/day. Also, I lost a LOT of hair over one year.

I am wondering if a tiny dose might eliminate enough DHT without my body "noticing" it and going f*cking haywire. I have a strong feeling that at 1.25 mg/day, My body either a) upregulated androgen receptors or b)drastically increased testosterone. Either way, I had scalp inflammation followed by crazy hair loss.

Any opinions on this? Perhaps the secret is to keep the dose very minimal, like .25 / day or EOD.

Most research suggests that the difference between .2 and 1mg and 5mg is not that big. I have seen some conflicting researches though, so it might actually make a bit of a difference. I am starting with 0.05, based on that one research that showed that it reduced scalp DHT by the same amount as 1mg, but serum DHT by a bit less.

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, it would only be 1ml of 50% alcohol each day, so I doubt that would have a great effect on my liver. That's way less than what you would get from a glass of wine or a can of beer (12,5ml of alcohol).

Side effects I had were that I lost morning and random erections (usually have a lot), decreased semen volume, and less intense orgasms (probably because of the decreased semen volume). I stayed on it for three weeks and then I started feeling a little frustrated so I stopped. Shortly after that my shedding decreased loaaads, and over the next 3 months the amount of shedding slowly has gone back to where it was. So I assume it was the finasteride that did that.

Now that I see how good it works, and I feel pretty positive about future treatments so that I might not have to take finasteride for too long, I think I'll try microdosing to see if it's enough to stop the hair loss for now (I'm 24 now and my male pattern baldness is not very aggressive) with minimal sides. I'm not expecting there to be some sweet spot where it will be effective without giving side effects, I just want to take the smallest amount of finasteride that works for me, because most doctors I have spoken to are apprehensive about someone as young as me being on finasteride in the first place. Hopefully it will still work and the side effects will be bearable. I can live with lower libido for a while if it helps my hair, but I draw the line at ED or gyno.

Also, the hair clinic only gave me one box of proscar only to try and see if it works, so the longer it lasts the better :') I know you can get good stuff online without script but I feel better knowing it came from the pharmacy in town.

Most research suggests that the difference between .2 and 1mg and 5mg is not that big. I have seen some conflicting researches though, so it might actually make a bit of a difference. I am starting with 0.05, based on that one research that showed that it reduced scalp DHT by the same amount as 1mg, but serum DHT by a bit less.
Interesting. I would like to know how it is going with you. Are you dissolving it in vodka and taking 0.05 mg daily dose? Or have you run into any troubles?

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I would like to know how it is going with you. Are you dissolving it in vodka and taking 0.05 mg daily dose? Or have you run into any troubles?
I think it's been about 2-3 weeks yet? Not noticing any effects yet. On 1mg I had immediate side effects, and decreased shedding at 4 weeks. I'll finish my bottle and if I still don't notice anything I'll make the next batch .1 mg.

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's been about 2-3 weeks yet? Not noticing any effects yet. On 1mg I had immediate side effects, and decreased shedding at 4 weeks. I'll finish my bottle and if I still don't notice anything I'll make the next batch .1 mg.
No. I meant the dissolving in Vodka solution. Did it work with you? I bought vodka yesterday and put one 5 mg tablet in it. It's 50 mL bottle, so I need to take 0.5 mL to get my daily 0.05 mg. I noticed small residues still floating in my small bottle after 30 minutes. or is this just pill filler?
Also I am interested in the study you mentioned about the reduction in scalp DHT in your first reply. can you provide a reference please?
I stopped finasteride, 5 years back because of its horrible side effects. recently, I thought of trying it one more time with much smaller doses. I really want it to work this time. I will start with 0.05 mg and if it didn't work, I will try even less. maybe 0.01 mg.

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score
No. I meant the dissolving in Vodka solution. Did it work with you? I bought vodka yesterday and put one 5 mg tablet in it. It's 50 mL bottle, so I need to take 0.5 mL to get my daily 0.05 mg. I noticed small residues still floating in my small bottle after 30 minutes. or is this just pill filler?
Also I am interested in the study you mentioned about the reduction in scalp DHT in your first reply. can you provide a reference please?
I stopped finasteride, 5 years back because of its horrible side effects. recently, I thought of trying it one more time with much smaller doses. I really want it to work this time. I will start with 0.05 mg and if it didn't work, I will try even less. maybe 0.01 mg.

Sorry I misunderstood. I also have small residues floating, I'm pretty sure this is pill filler as finasteride dissolves in alcohol. To be sure, I give it a good shake before I take out 1ml so if there's any finasteride in there it'll at least be a bit more dispersed, but I think it's redundant.

This is the study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495374
I wouldn't go below 0.05 because this is the only study I know of that studies the effect on scalp skin DHT. I don't know if having lowered scalp DHT and less-lowered serum DHT means it will still prevent hair loss as well as higher doses, but it would make sense if it did still work. Nobody knows. 0.05mg is the lowest dose they tested that was still 'effective' (in lowering scalp dht). I think you should try anything between 0.05-0.2mg. For me, if my shedding hasn't decreased by the time I finish the bottle I will assume it's not as effective as 1mg was for me and will go up to 0.1 or 0.2 mg.

Also would like to add that I keep it in the fridge and out of sunlight. Not sure if keeping it refridgerated helps, but photosensitivity is a thing so you don't want your medication exposed to sunlight.

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been taking 0. 05 mg daily over the past 10 days . do you think it is adequate to measure dht serum now? or do I need to wait few weeks?
I am in my home country where the blood tests cost fraction of where I work. so does finesteride effects blood immideathly?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been taking 0. 05 mg daily over the past 10 days . do you think it is adequate to measure dht serum now? or do I need to wait few weeks?
I am in my home country where the blood tests cost fraction of where I work. so does finesteride effects blood immideathly?

It's probably good to go measure now imo. Unfortunately I can't be sure so just go on the last possible day.

Do you have a baseline?

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a base test from few years back.I know it is not the best case. but if it came back significantly lower then I will be willing to fine tune my experiment later .

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
need MORE info

temperature?

how to take exactly 1ml of vodka??

pls explain

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
need MORE info

temperature?

how to take exactly 1ml of vodka??

pls explain

Use a dropper.

Why would temperature matter? Vodka and finasteride both work at room temperature. I'd leave them in a fridge personally, make sure guests don't chug the bottle.

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
Use a dropper.

Why would temperature matter? Vodka and finasteride both work at room temperature. I'd leave them in a fridge personally, make sure guests don't chug the bottle.
any idea about non-alcoholic solutions that I can use? I prefer not to consume any alcohol for religious reasons.

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It only dissolves in alcohol, but the mini amount you would be taking is not even noticeable. I would think it is a religious rule to prevent people from getting drunk all the time. This has nothing to do with getting drunk, it is your choice eventually.