Miconazole Nitrate: Logs ? ( Seven Words Okay )

tylerduren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright gents,

i remember about 8 years ago when i first joined the forum under a different name, one of the experimental drugs was "miconazole nitrate".

one guy was getting good results so i jumped on it for a bit in combination with megatek ( keratin horse shampoo )

i didnt do it for very long but what i did notice was my hair got darker including vellus. The megatek i still use every other week as it makes your hair appear much thicker from first wash ( no joke )

does anyone know if there are any more logs of this considering it is a pge1 upregulator ?

im seriously considering adding this as all i take is nizoral which luckily has kept the temples and hair pretty stable for the last fiver years. it is also available over the shelf.in any pharmacy for very cheap.

if anyones with me i will log with decent pictures for 6 month. same lighting etc etc

zaman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was using miconazole recently (along with castor oil and coconut oil) seemingly to good effect, so I've started up on it again. The original miconazole I used also had hydrocortisone, but my current tube doesn't. Don't know whether that makes much of a difference.

Like you, I felt that I had some darker vellus hairs at the time. I was also wounding though.

It's a pain and there are no miracles out there, but whatever we can do to keep our hair in a good state until something more permanent and convenient arrives is worthwhile.

OH, and be careful of headaches when starting up on miconazole.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe the hydrocortisone will cause skin thinning over time so may be best to avoid that.
Did you have to use the miconazole every day/night? Was it hard to get through your hair and on the scalp?

Maxxorr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have started Miconazole nitrate 2,5% yesterday. I will keep you posted!

Last edited:

difus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would like to know This too! It’s very cheap and would consider it if anyone have had results with this?

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was part of the success with Miconazole Nitrate.

Miconazole inhibits steroidogenesis/StAR in the skin.

Steroidogenic isoenzymes in human hair and their potential role in androgenetic alopecia.
Hoffmann R1.
Author information

Abstract
Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common type of hair loss. The relatively strong concordance of the degree of baldness in fathers and sons is not consistent with a simple Mendelian trait, and a polygenic basis is considered to be most likely. So far, the predisposing genes for Androgenetic Alopecia are unknown and we do not understand the molecular steps involved in androgen-dependent beard growth versus androgen-dependent hair loss, but Androgenetic Alopecia can be defined as a dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-dependent process with continuous miniaturization of sensitive hair follicles. The type 2 5alpha-reductase plays a central role by the intrafollicular conversion of testosterone to DHT. However, due to the increasing knowledge in this field, we now know that there are many more steroidogenic enzymes involved in the onset and development of Androgenetic Alopecia, and this article shall provide a critical overview of recent discoveries.

Econazole and miconazole inhibit steroidogenesis and disrupt steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein expression post-transcriptionally.
Walsh LP1, Kuratko CN, Stocco DM.
Author information
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA.
Abstract
The imidazole antifungal drugs econazole and miconazole have previously been shown to disrupt steroidogenesis in Leydig and adrenal cells by inhibiting 17alpha-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase (P450c17) enzyme activity, thus reducing the conversion of progesterone to androstenedione. However, a recent study in Y-1 adrenal cells indicated that these compounds may also reduce the availability of cholesterol to the cytochrome P450 side chain cleavage (P450(scc)) enzyme, the first enzyme in the steroidogenic pathway. Since the steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR) mediates the transfer of cholesterol from the outer to the inner mitochondrial membrane where the P450(scc) enzyme resides, an action which constitutes the rate-limiting and acutely-regulated step in steroidogenesis, we hypothesized that these drugs may also reduce StAR expression and/or activity. Our studies demonstrate that these drugs reversibly inhibited (Bu)(2)cAMP-stimulated progesterone production in a dose- and time-dependent manner in MA-10 cells without affecting total protein synthesis or P450(scc) and 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3beta-HSD) enzyme expression or activity. In contrast, they dramatically decreased (Bu)(2)cAMP-stimulated StAR protein expression post-transcriptionally. This study indicates that StAR protein is susceptible to inhibition by at least some imidazole compounds that inhibit steroidogenesis.

Higher levels of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein and type I 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in the scalp of men with androgenetic alopecia.

https://www.jidonline.org/article/S0022-202X(15)32632-4/pdf

PolishGuy

Reaction score
What kind of succes it was? Did You get any regrowth?
I was part of the success with Miconazole Nitrate.

Miconazole inhibits steroidogenesis/StAR in the skin.

Steroidogenic isoenzymes in human hair and their potential role in androgenetic alopecia.
Hoffmann R1.
Author information

Abstract
Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common type of hair loss. The relatively strong concordance of the degree of baldness in fathers and sons is not consistent with a simple Mendelian trait, and a polygenic basis is considered to be most likely. So far, the predisposing genes for Androgenetic Alopecia are unknown and we do not understand the molecular steps involved in androgen-dependent beard growth versus androgen-dependent hair loss, but Androgenetic Alopecia can be defined as a dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-dependent process with continuous miniaturization of sensitive hair follicles. The type 2 5alpha-reductase plays a central role by the intrafollicular conversion of testosterone to DHT. However, due to the increasing knowledge in this field, we now know that there are many more steroidogenic enzymes involved in the onset and development of Androgenetic Alopecia, and this article shall provide a critical overview of recent discoveries.

Econazole and miconazole inhibit steroidogenesis and disrupt steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein expression post-transcriptionally.
Walsh LP1, Kuratko CN, Stocco DM.
Author information
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA.
Abstract
The imidazole antifungal drugs econazole and miconazole have previously been shown to disrupt steroidogenesis in Leydig and adrenal cells by inhibiting 17alpha-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase (P450c17) enzyme activity, thus reducing the conversion of progesterone to androstenedione. However, a recent study in Y-1 adrenal cells indicated that these compounds may also reduce the availability of cholesterol to the cytochrome P450 side chain cleavage (P450(scc)) enzyme, the first enzyme in the steroidogenic pathway. Since the steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR) mediates the transfer of cholesterol from the outer to the inner mitochondrial membrane where the P450(scc) enzyme resides, an action which constitutes the rate-limiting and acutely-regulated step in steroidogenesis, we hypothesized that these drugs may also reduce StAR expression and/or activity. Our studies demonstrate that these drugs reversibly inhibited (Bu)(2)cAMP-stimulated progesterone production in a dose- and time-dependent manner in MA-10 cells without affecting total protein synthesis or P450(scc) and 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3beta-HSD) enzyme expression or activity. In contrast, they dramatically decreased (Bu)(2)cAMP-stimulated StAR protein expression post-transcriptionally. This study indicates that StAR protein is susceptible to inhibition by at least some imidazole compounds that inhibit steroidogenesis.

Higher levels of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein and type I 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in the scalp of men with androgenetic alopecia.

https://www.jidonline.org/article/S0022-202X(15)32632-4/pdf

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Miconaozle stopped my shedding to almost zero. Finasteride didnt even do that. I apply once a day all on my scalp. Let it sit and thats it

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3087363 Minconazole is shown to inhibit pge2 while raising pge1 levels so it's hard to say whether this would be good or bad for most people, it's also shown to inhibit collagen synthesis.

thats a rabbit study.
There are studies that show antifungals work for hair on humans with androgenic alopecia making that a much more powerful study than a rabbit study.

jared garnith

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thats a rabbit study.
There are studies that show antifungals work for hair on humans with androgenic alopecia making that a much more powerful study than a rabbit study.
The study does also show it decreasing pge2 in human platelets in vitro though, but also how things are in vitro isn't enough to draw a solid conclusion as well as with the rabbits of course

noveau22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Miconaozle stopped my shedding to almost zero. Finasteride didnt even do that. I apply once a day all on my scalp. Let it sit and thats it
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't what you use like a cream??? I'd be happy if it was like a shampoo but trying to figure how you put in on your scalp??? esp with hair all in the way unless you have a buzz cut of some sort

Photon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't what you use like a cream??? I'd be happy if it was like a shampoo but trying to figure how you put in on your scalp??? esp with hair all in the way unless you have a buzz cut of some sort
Most here are guys with receding hairline. They don't care for diffuse thinners.