Mental Health Is More Important Than Hairloss

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I am making this thread because I was wrong about my hairloss. I used to think hairloss was making me miserable , if only I could be fullhead my life would be fine. I would be a “normie”.

Well turns out I was fortunate to respond well to treatment. 3 years on finasteride and I no longer obsess about my hairloss. I hardly think about hairloss anymore infact. But I’m still just as miserable as I was when I was in the peak of hairloss obsession taking 100+ pictures a day of my hair. I know I don’t speak for everyone as for some people hairloss is truly their only issue , but I think those people are in the minority. I feel ashamed of myself. Even after effectively beating my hairloss I feel just as awful about life. But maybe if I had gone bald I would feel even worse so I guess I will never know.

Now I should be able enjoying the benefits of hair going out and getting laid. But instead I’m to afraid to go out and date because of severe social anxiety and sexual dysfunction. I still don’t have friends , and I can barley get an erection. Is this a result of finasteride? Hard to say. I feel like these issues would still be present without the finasteride but who really knows. Maybe this is all due to hairloss causing a certain way of thinking ( incel , red pill) that you withdraw from soceity.

If You had told me a few years ago “mental health is more important than hairloss” I would have rolled my eyes and called you bluepilled. But now I see it clear as day. The fact is hairloss sucks and it does subtract from your appearance. But there are plenty of normies that get through it just fine. If you are like me constantly obsessing over your hairloss the issue runs much deeper.

So what’s the solution? I’m not sure. But I think at least trying to improve mental health is at least as important as treating hairloss. Mental health is a pain to treat but don’t delude yourself thinking like I did that mental health was unimportant. Even if you are the ugliest person on earth if you are stupid enough you might actually be content. And that’s the thing- all that really matters is how you feel about your situation. Life is depressing - everyone gets old and dies. Even the successful normie you see. 40 years from now it won’t matter what you accomplished vs what they accomplished. All we can do is make the best of our situation mentally by Pursuing the few good things in life. For some of us that may never be love but that’s ok because even love dies eventually. People get divorced , or they just grow old. It honestly doesn’t feel like there’s much good in life , but I guess the only cope is to suck up the little bit that remains.

Derminator

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're kind of stating the obvious here. Why would you even think that mental health is less important? If, hypothetically speaking, losing all your hair made you happier you should obviously take that deal.

You were wrong about hair loss in the sense that it's clearly not the only issue you had. Drawing backwards conclusions that "maybe hair loss isn't that important after all" and "I should've just learned to cope with it" is such flawed thinking. Instead of moping you should go and work on the next problem you have. Social anxiety is definitely something you can work on if you put in the effort.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
You're kind of stating the obvious here. Why would you even think that mental health is less important? If, hypothetically speaking, losing all your hair made you happier you should obviously take that deal.

You were wrong about hair loss in the sense that it's clearly not the only issue you had. Drawing backwards conclusions that "maybe hair loss isn't that important after all" and "I should've just learned to cope with it" is such flawed thinking. Instead of moping you should go and work on the next problem you have. Social anxiety is definitely something you can work on if you put in the effort.

Yes I am sure it is obvious to some however it wasn’t obvious to me. It’s flawed thinking that hairloss is the cause of all your life problems but I used to truly believe this.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes i agree with what ur saying, life can be very depressing sometimes, and there are far more depressing things than hair loss. But i don't think the fact that everyone gets old and dies should be a reason to not live your life. You only get one, so make the best of it, do what u like and enjoy things while they last. If there would be absolutely nothing in the whole world u like doing, then yes, u have a problem.
And i don't think depression necessarly comes from finasteride, it might have triggered it or made it worse. Have you seen a doctor or tried any treatments for ur sexual dysfunction?

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been curious to see however I’m to afraid to stop taking it due to losing the hair benefits. Such a tough call... I believe a lot of it is due to anxiety.
It's probably a 1% chance it's even in part due to finasteride.

I've been saying this in this forum for years, and people did the eye roll thing you were talking about, calling me a chad or whatever. Most ppl on this forum have other problems that make them this way.... The hair loss is just a tangible thing that is WRONG to focus on, and release all of your pain on. This is the reality. Even after fixing the situation, if you can, you'll focus on something else. Or, maybe worse, you'll have nothing to focus on to differ the pain, and have to deal with the actual pain on its terms- whatever that is causing it.........

Baldingat188

Reaction score
It's probably a 1% chance it's even in part due to finasteride.

I've been saying this in this forum for years, and people did the eye roll thing you were talking about, calling me a chad or whatever. Most ppl on this forum have other problems that make them this way.... The hair loss is just a tangible thing that is WRONG to focus on, and release all of your pain on. This is the reality. Even after fixing the situation, if you can, you'll focus on something else. Or, maybe worse, you'll have nothing to focus on to differ the pain, and have to deal with the actual pain on its terms- whatever that is causing it.........

Exactly and it really sucks to realize this. I’m finally realizing after years of jumping from scapegoat to scapegoat issue the issue is not these perceived problems , rather the issue is my mind. In a way this is worse because even when you fix the issue something new comes up. In my case I’m pretty sure I have some form of OCD so my brain will always find some way to ruin my life.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
Yes i agree with what ur saying, life can be very depressing sometimes, and there are far more depressing things than hair loss. But i don't think the fact that everyone gets old and dies should be a reason to not live your life. You only get one, so make the best of it, do what u like and enjoy things while they last. If there would be absolutely nothing in the whole world u like doing, then yes, u have a problem.
And i don't think depression necessarly comes from finasteride, it might have triggered it or made it worse. Have you seen a doctor or tried any treatments for ur sexual dysfunction?

True , I guess I’m just using the fact that everyone dies as a coping mechanism albeit an unhealthy one at that. Sometimes I just feel to far gone to even attempt to make my life better. I know I suffer from mental illness , but at the same time I’m to afraid to take anti depressants because I’ve heard they will make sex drive even worse. I haven’t seen a doctor about the sex issues, mostly because I keep telling myself since it’s due to anxiety there is nothing they can do. I believe I obsess about it a lot because I’m afraid I’ll get into a relationship and then not be able to satisfy a partner and it’s an awful feeling.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
True , I guess I’m just using the fact that everyone dies as a coping mechanism albeit an unhealthy one at that. Sometimes I just feel to far gone to even attempt to make my life better. I know I suffer from mental illness , but at the same time I’m to afraid to take anti depressants because I’ve heard they will make sex drive even worse. I haven’t seen a doctor about the sex issues, mostly because I keep telling myself since it’s due to anxiety there is nothing they can do. I believe I obsess about it a lot because I’m afraid I’ll get into a relationship and then not be able to satisfy a partner and it’s an awful feeling.
I hope u get better man, can't really help with that unfortunately but i hope u do.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am making this thread because I was wrong about my hairloss. I used to think hairloss was making me miserable , if only I could be fullhead my life would be fine. I would be a “normie”.

Well turns out I was fortunate to respond well to treatment. 3 years on finasteride and I no longer obsess about my hairloss. I hardly think about hairloss anymore infact. But I’m still just as miserable as I was when I was in the peak of hairloss obsession taking 100+ pictures a day of my hair. I know I don’t speak for everyone as for some people hairloss is truly their only issue , but I think those people are in the minority. I feel ashamed of myself. Even after effectively beating my hairloss I feel just as awful about life. But maybe if I had gone bald I would feel even worse so I guess I will never know.

Now I should be able enjoying the benefits of hair going out and getting laid. But instead I’m to afraid to go out and date because of severe social anxiety and sexual dysfunction. I still don’t have friends , and I can barley get an erection. Is this a result of finasteride? Hard to say. I feel like these issues would still be present without the finasteride but who really knows. Maybe this is all due to hairloss causing a certain way of thinking ( incel , red pill) that you withdraw from soceity.

If You had told me a few years ago “mental health is more important than hairloss” I would have rolled my eyes and called you bluepilled. But now I see it clear as day. The fact is hairloss sucks and it does subtract from your appearance. But there are plenty of normies that get through it just fine. If you are like me constantly obsessing over your hairloss the issue runs much deeper.

So what’s the solution? I’m not sure. But I think at least trying to improve mental health is at least as important as treating hairloss. Mental health is a pain to treat but don’t delude yourself thinking like I did that mental health was unimportant. Even if you are the ugliest person on earth if you are stupid enough you might actually be content. And that’s the thing- all that really matters is how you feel about your situation. Life is depressing - everyone gets old and dies. Even the successful normie you see. 40 years from now it won’t matter what you accomplished vs what they accomplished. All we can do is make the best of our situation mentally by Pursuing the few good things in life. For some of us that may never be love but that’s ok because even love dies eventually. People get divorced , or they just grow old. It honestly doesn’t feel like there’s much good in life , but I guess the only cope is to suck up the little bit that remains.

so basically youre saying you responded well, got back your hair and still cant get laid?

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hair loss is not more important than mental health, but hair loss causes mental health, aka major depression to some of us. so it all comes as a package.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
so basically youre saying you responded well, got back your hair and still cant get laid?

Essentially ... except I don’t even try to get laid because of my physiological ED. I feel like I could get laid if I really tried but maybe I’m deluding myself. I’m not hideous but I am short so who knows.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
hair loss is not more important than mental health, but hair loss causes mental health, aka major depression to some of us. so it all comes as a package.

I used to think hairloss caused mental health but I really don’t believe it anymore. Mental health problems cause obsession with hairloss, not the other way around imo. If chad with a good social circle goes bald he will suffer for sure, but not to the degree of obsession 24/7 and ruining his life.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Good Post OP. I also had some mental health issues like depression and anxiety before hairloss started, but it just made things so much more worse. I was going through some tough times in college, and finally when my life turned the corner and I thought my suffering was over, my hair started falling out drastically.

It truly sucks.

Incinerate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should quit finasteride for a little moment, like 2 weeks and see what happen. Because those sides are vicious, they can come slowly without you realizing it is the drugs. And a two week pause after 3 years of treatment won't have any impact on your hair.
You need to eliminate the possibility that those intrusive dark thoughts are from the medication. Then you can focus on solving this depressive mood if it is still here, but what you are doing here is pure speculation on your mental health, bad idea.

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to think hairloss caused mental health but I really don’t believe it anymore. Mental health problems cause obsession with hairloss, not the other way around imo. If chad with a good social circle goes bald he will suffer for sure, but not to the degree of obsession 24/7 and ruining his life.

That maybe be, although that's just your assumption.
Regardless it doesn't really matter, a mentally healthy guy will still be greatly impacted by hair loss whether he is obsessed over it or not.
both people will still be affected by it and bothered by it, most likely for the rest of their lives.
the only way to truly get over hair loss, is to have hair. I do not believe anyone can 100% accept it and overcome it, anyone who says otherwise is lying.

you go to a sub reddit like /r bald and you see all those people posting pics of themselves after shaving and all the comments are complimenting them saying how good it looks and all the posters say they are happy with it, but it's all bs. 90% of them look horrible, are singles, and the ironic thing is that the whole place is a circlejerk of just bald guys complimenting other bald guys, it's just pathetic to be honest.

what I'm trying to say is that, you see guys who are allegedly "happy" over there and that they have accepted their baldness, but they are still ugly being bald and don't get laid. and not having success with women will affect them mentally one way or another, they just won't necessiarly collerate it to their bald head.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
That maybe be, although that's just your assumption.
Regardless it doesn't really matter, a mentally healthy guy will still be greatly impacted by hair loss whether he is obsessed over it or not.
both people will still be affected by it and bothered by it, most likely for the rest of their lives.
the only way to truly get over hair loss, is to have hair. I do not believe anyone can 100% accept it and overcome it, anyone who says otherwise is lying.

you go to a sub reddit like /r bald and you see all those people posting pics of themselves after shaving and all the comments are complimenting them saying how good it looks and all the posters say they are happy with it, but it's all bs. 90% of them look horrible, are singles, and the ironic thing is that the whole place is a circlejerk of just bald guys complimenting other bald guys, it's just pathetic to be honest.

what I'm trying to say is that, you see guys who are allegedly "happy" over there and that they have accepted their baldness, but they are still ugly being bald and don't get laid. and not having success with women will affect them mentally one way or another, they just won't necessiarly collerate it to their bald head.

I won’t disagree that people look worse bald. I will also admit maybe the sub Reddit’s like r/bald do get a bit ridiculous at times. But on the other hand if they believe they look great isn’t that all that matters? There is a reason the placebo affect is so important. The human mind is incredibly powerful. Even in cases when a man goes bald while attempting to date which do you think will have more success? The bald guy who thinks he looks good or the bald guy who thinks he looks terrible. I’ll admit, I don’t really buy into the whole confidence can turn an unattractive person attractive but at the very least the bald guy will not be as depressed.

Its hard to say who is better off. If I had to chose between being mentally healthy and bald or fullhead and depressed. Maybe there isn’t a clear answer. It’s possible since I’ve been responding to treatment I’ve completely blocked out the idea of going bald but if I had to confront that head on again I would feel different. Still though, I would argue what really matters is how you internally feel about your life. In many cases hairloss causes depression but not always. Also as you age hairloss grows less important. A bald guy may be an outlier in his 20s but by the time 40 or 50 roll around that’s a good percentage of men. You can reasonably expect to be average even as a bald man. However your stuck with your mind and mental health your entire life. That’s why I say that mental health is more important over all.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly and it really sucks to realize this. I’m finally realizing after years of jumping from scapegoat to scapegoat issue the issue is not these perceived problems , rather the issue is my mind. In a way this is worse because even when you fix the issue something new comes up. In my case I’m pretty sure I have some form of OCD so my brain will always find some way to ruin my life.
finally getting close to the tiniest bit of self awareness here. just the wrong 3 letter acronym

note to everyone : OP is a full head. he never had hair loss in the first place so he can't say anything about this