Memory Issues From Finasteride? Any Proof?

Jon11

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 41 and have been taking finasteride for 10 years. I’ve never had any side effects and it has worked very well as far as my hair goes. But over the last year I feel like my memory is not as good. My short term memory seems bad. I forget names a lot, have a hard time finding words when talking, sometimes forget what we’re talking about in the middle of a conversation, etc.
My memory is not near as sharp and I feel a noticeable difference in brain function. I’ve never taken any other medication except finasteride.
Any advice, as to the fact if this is due to finasteride or is it just in my head(no pun intended), or old age, or attention deficit disorder, etc.?
Definitely don’t want any long term brain damage or early dementia. But like I said I’ve been taking finasteride for 10 years and have only noticed this over the last year.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jon

K505

My Regimen
Reaction score
According to what i have read, DHT has some role on the brain, im not too familiar with the exact roles... but mood,depression and anxiety is some, but memory? Im not sure.
(Brain fog is what you might have, a side from finasteride).

I did talk to a dermatologist not too long ago, he told me that finasteride can increase the chance of getting alzheimers, first time i heard of it, with all the research i've done on finasteride, i was quite surprised hearing this from him.

If i were you, i'd Google brain fog, check if you relate with it.

Good luck homie.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, how is it going? Are u still taking finasteride? Are still experiencing sides?

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had this side affect when I started finasteride. Halfway through my 6th month and I'm back to normal

INT

Reaction score
In my opinion, most of the finasteride side effects are not related to the drop in DHT but the drop in 5AR, which is far less understood than DHT.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
According to what i have read, DHT has some role on the brain, im not too familiar with the exact roles... but mood,depression and anxiety is some, but memory? Im not sure.
(Brain fog is what you might have, a side from finasteride).

I did talk to a dermatologist not too long ago, he told me that finasteride can increase the chance of getting alzheimers, first time i heard of it, with all the research i've done on finasteride, i was quite surprised hearing this from him.

If i were you, i'd Google brain fog, check if you relate with it.

Good luck homie.

There is no data suggesting that propecia increases Alzheimer’s risk

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no data suggesting that propecia increases Alzheimer’s risk

Finasteride tanks pregnenolone and aldosterone, as proven by a million articles that you can surely find out yourself.

Pregnenolone sulfate is a neuroactive metabolite of pregnenolone. Pregnenolone sulfate synthesis is regulated by a specific cytosolic enzyme hydroxysteroid sulfotransferase (HST), which catalyzes the transfer of a sulfate moiety from 3′-phosphoadenosine 5′-phosphosulfate on the 3-hydroxyl group of non-conjugated steroids. Pregnenolone sulfate has multiple important effects on brain functions, such as cognitive enhancing, promnesic, antistress, and antidepressant effects. Pregnenolonesulfate also has significant regulatory effects on the release of many important neurotransmitters, such as glutamate, GABA, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. The level of acetylcholine cortical release induced by infusion of pregnenolonesulfate was correlated to the spatial memory performance of animals. Infusion of pregnenolone sulfate stimulates the release of acetylcholine and suggests that this effect could partly explain the memory enhancing properties of this neurosteroid.

You can put two and two together and stop living in denial. Alzheimer’s coming before Tsuji, enjoy your daily mg of poison.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride tanks pregnenolone and aldosterone, as proven by a million articles that you can surely find out yourself.

Pregnenolone sulfate is a neuroactive metabolite of pregnenolone. Pregnenolone sulfate synthesis is regulated by a specific cytosolic enzyme hydroxysteroid sulfotransferase (HST), which catalyzes the transfer of a sulfate moiety from 3′-phosphoadenosine 5′-phosphosulfate on the 3-hydroxyl group of non-conjugated steroids. Pregnenolone sulfate has multiple important effects on brain functions, such as cognitive enhancing, promnesic, antistress, and antidepressant effects. Pregnenolonesulfate also has significant regulatory effects on the release of many important neurotransmitters, such as glutamate, GABA, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. The level of acetylcholine cortical release induced by infusion of pregnenolonesulfate was correlated to the spatial memory performance of animals. Infusion of pregnenolone sulfate stimulates the release of acetylcholine and suggests that this effect could partly explain the memory enhancing properties of this neurosteroid.

You can put two and two together and stop living in denial. Alzheimer’s coming before Tsuji, enjoy your daily mg of poison.

Say what you want, but in the end you are just guessing there is a link. Studies on men with bph 5-10 years out from propecia do not show a statistically significant difference in cognition. Many have taken it for 20 years with no cognition issues. The plasticity of the brain may very make up any changes propecia induces.

Sure there could be a long term risk of increased chance of dementia but that’s a risk I’m willingto take to avoid scalp pain/itching as well as losing my hair. People takes thing like Zyrtec daily for much less which has an actual proven link to dementia

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Say what you want, but in the end you are just guessing there is a link. Studies on men with bph 5-10 years out from propecia do not show a statistically significant difference in cognition. Many have taken it for 20 years with no cognition issues. The plasticity of the brain may very make up any changes propecia induces.

Sure there could be a long term risk of increased chance of dementia but that’s a risk I’m willingto take to avoid scalp pain/itching as well as losing my hair. People takes thing like Zyrtec daily for much less which has an actual proven link to dementia

Didn’t read.