Mechanical stretch induces hair regeneration through the alternative activation of macrophages

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
link: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-09402-8

Abstract​

Tissues and cells in organism are continuously exposed to complex mechanical cues from the environment. Mechanical stimulations affect cell proliferation, differentiation, and migration, as well as determining tissue homeostasis and repair. By using a specially designed skin-stretching device, we discover that hair stem cells proliferate in response to stretch and hair regeneration occurs only when applying proper strain for an appropriate duration. A counterbalance between WNT and BMP-2 and the subsequent two-step mechanism are identified through molecular and genetic analyses. Macrophages are first recruited by chemokines produced by stretch and polarized to M2 phenotype. Growth factors such as HGF and IGF-1, released by M2 macrophages, then activate stem cells and facilitate hair regeneration. A hierarchical control system is revealed, from mechanical and chemical signals to cell behaviors and tissue responses, elucidating avenues of regenerative medicine and disease control by demonstrating the potential to manipulate cellular processes through simple mechanical stimulation.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow! I will read this closely. This is Nature no less.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
About macrophages from a website:
M2 macrophages are alternatively activated by exposure to certain cytokines such as IL-4, IL-10, or IL-13. M2 macrophages will produce either polyamines to induce proliferation or proline to induce collagen production. These macrophages are associated with wound healing and tissue repair.

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Macrophages Contribute to the Cyclic Activation of Adult Hair Follicle Stem Cells​

M2 macrophages promote wound-induced hair neogenesis​

Suppressed androgen receptor expression promotes M2 macrophage reprogramming through the STAT3/SOCS3 pathway​

Macrophage-Derived Extracellular Vesicle Promotes Hair Growth​

Last edited:

Squeegee 2.0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

α-ketoglutarate orchestrates macrophage activation through metabolic and epigenetic reprogramming​

Glutamine Metabolism in Macrophages: A Novel Target for Obesity/Type 2 Diabetes​

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think heavy massage is really good when someone is already micro-needling. It might put all hair into quick catagen which is a positive in the long run but who wants a massive shed in the short-run. I was also using an AA and the three together essentially caused quick catagen and then quick anagen again but I was completely bald for several months.

I still do micro-needling at least once a week and I am experimenting now with no-pressure microneedling which might provide quicker, less intrusive benefits. Pulling the hairline gently forward, together with the hair in front of the ears might be beneficial. If you look at a partially receded hairline and then push the sides together, it appears that the hairline has actually been stretched backwards, more so in the temples and moved back a few centimeters. This puts stress on the hairline similar to what the chewing muscles might do in terms of stressing the sides and back of existent hair. Microneedling probably helps relieve this stress in my view; I have no comment about the benefits of heavy massage but I think any effects thereof are marginal at best. Micro-needling with both oral and topical minoxidil is probably best in terms of mechanical treatments for those eschewing hormonal approaches like reductase inhibitors.

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

α-ketoglutarate orchestrates macrophage activation through metabolic and epigenetic reprogramming​

Glutamine Metabolism in Macrophages: A Novel Target for Obesity/Type 2 Diabetes​

Interesting, α-ketoglutarate was also identified as a molecule for activating autophagy and hair growth: https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/pdfExtended/S2211-1247(19)30699-0