Maybe A New Positive View Of Hair Systems?

Noah

Reaction score
Here is an interesting phenomenon. This is the website of a newly opened hair system outlet. https://www.facebook.com/WeAreQuiff/. To be very clear, I am NOT recommending these people, as I will explain. One of the two owners - "Stevie" - wears a system, and was (actually still is) a model for Hair4All. Now he seems to have opened his own shop together with his boyfriend. The website shows Stevie diving into a swimming pool, caressing his sun-kissed locks, all the usual cliches of hair replacement adverts.

The interesting thing, though, is the feedback these guys are getting. Tens of thousands of messages from people all over the world saying they want what these guys are selling, have booked appointments, women want it for their boyfriends and husbands etc etc. Overwhelmingly positive. And this is despite the fact that these guys are selling for £2000 a standard lace hairpiece which you could get (uncut) off the Web for less than £150. This positive reaction surprised me, because there is usually a rather negative vibe wherever hair replacement is discussed publicly. Stevie doesn't try to conceal the fact that he is wearing and selling hairpieces, and in fact you see him pulling his piece off.

So what has made this difference? Clearly Stevie is a good marketer and a handsome lad, and he looks well in his hairpiece (although actually I think his hairline could do with further work). But it seems as if the people who are responding positively simply didn't realise that hair systems of the modern lightweight lace variety existed and look so real. Could this be a sign of a more positive less stigmatised atmosphere around hair replacement as people become better educated about what is available? What do you think?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks good and positive but not sure where the value goes in a £2,0000 system.

Very happy with my systems at £250.

Noah

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, only £2,000 ;). But I agree with the sentiment. It's too much toupee (arf arf arf).

Last edited:

chris29

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been a long term follower of this forum and am thinking of getting a hair system in the next few months. To build on what youre saying Noah i saw the video from quiff and co, and the thousands and thousands of people saying they will go down the hair system route. This leaves me with several concerns about the sustainability of hair systems at an affordable price, as there is obviously a limit on the amount of hair available, and it is a concern whether there simply is the supply to match the demand of the future - especially with the increased wealth of countries like India who are a massive source of the hair supply in the western world. Id love to hear your thoughts on this? To me, £2000 is not justifiable to spend on a hair system, and I could only afford one if they remain a similar price to what they are now. It may be a selfish view but its a valid point nonetheless.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Chris

I don't think there is any reason to be concerned about this in the foreseeable future. The £2,000 price tag that Quiff is charging has nothing to do with the price or availability of hair - it is simply the product of good internet marketing and profiteering. They have cleverly generated a lot of buzz, and it may develop into a good business for them, but it is highly unlikely to make a significant difference to the amount of hair being sold for hairpieces in the world. There are millions of male hair system wearers in the world. Estimates from the 1970's suggest over 2.5 million wearers in the US alone. Plus the vast majority of artificial hair is worn by women, not men. Indian hair is still cheap to buy, and despite improvements India is still a poor country. There is likely to continue to be a supply of low priced hair from countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Indonesia for several decades at least.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can get a very good system (as good as theirs from multi-suppliers) for £160-£250.

There is unlikely to be any shortage in supply any time soon. The bigger concern is if the Chinese govt slap on tariffs and taxes onto imported hair - even then its likely to add a tenner.

chris29

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats good to hear! I guess that by the time that the natural hair supply becomes unsustainably expensive, synthetic hair will be much more advanced and a suitable alternative.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
That guy is what got me into wearing in the first place. Or atleast made convinced me conclusively. The moment I saw him, I had zero doubts in wearing.

Also, a few days back was the first moment where I saw my random friends in Facebook also sharing and liking hair system stuff and guess what, the same guy was in those videos doing his de-re. This means he is getting famous all around the world right now. When I saw my friends stumbling across these videos I ofcourse thought that they know what I am doing, but I guess not :D.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol maybe wigs will become just another fashion accessory for people to show off, like a new necklace; like how black women often show off their weave when they get it done.
Imagine if wigs were socially acceptable, I'd probably have 2 or 3 wigs in different styles just to switch it up

mdmnota

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair systems are great. If you loose your f*****g tooth and put implants, thats fine, but if you loose your hair and wear a system, thats not? Haha, f*** them, lets all wear a system.

Hairy bear

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks good and positive but not sure where the value goes in a £2,0000 system.

Very happy with my systems at £250.
He's got a new vid clip where they say the $2000 is only the start up, template design, chat etc. then it's 'significantly' cheaper. But I think they hinted at $1000 :O. Still way too much toopay:(. ( still life left in that Noah :D)