male pattern baldness research: Black tea reduces DHT 72%, Propecia 70%

peacemaker

Banned
Reaction score
This is study is promoted by a website (hairloss research) that sells those tea extract supplements.

Seriously, comparing a very potent drug with natural tea extract and claiming the tea will be more powerful is just ridiculous.

As someone else said in this topic, if you are going to inhibit DHT, no matter what you use to do it, the side-effects will be the same. Saw palmetto causes the same sides as finasteride for example.

I agree with Fred on this one. If you want to inhibit DHT, I would rather take finasteride that's at least proven to inhibit DHT.

Although I am not sure if Saw palmetto inhibits DHT. I have seen some people's blood test results in forums after taking saw palmetto for some time and their DHT level then was the same as their base level(if not higher).

KeepMovin

Reaction score
no.
Naturally lowering dht and chemically destroying dht are 2 completely different things.

Anyhow, Im hopeful that in the coming years we will all finally see that DHT isnt the problem.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
OK maybe that study was influenced by the company selling concentrated pills, but I don't doubt the original rodent study done a decade ago. I know everyone in the UK drink black tea, but not everyone drinks 10 cups of tea a day, I live in england, but out if everyone I know family etc, people drink 3 for 4 cups of tea, then a few cups of coffee, other drinks as well. The only fluid I drink is black tea, heavily, I do have low dht symptoms, I'm going to quit drinking tea for 2 weeks then see if I notice a difference.

See, that's exactly the point...the drug is concentrated....the supplements really need to be loaded up big-time...I'm taking 650mg of Saw Palmetto every other day and I definatley have a softer dick....but I still get morning wood from time-to-time, and I still can get it up

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
As someone else said in this topic, if you are going to inhibit DHT, no matter what you use to do it, the side-effects will be the same. Saw palmetto causes the same sides as finasteride for example.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think it is common misconception if you reduce your DHT level you will suffer same sides no matter what you I've used. Getting sides depends on various factors, not just on suppressed level of DHT. Major sides are not result of low level of DHT, but increased level of estrogen, estradiol, prolactin, and loss of hormonal balance. I am aware, that DHT inhibitors block conversion of T to DHT and in that way boost E and E2, because free T can be converted either to DHT (by I and II-5ard) or E (by aromatic enzyme).

Maybe
high doses of finasteride cause some kind of shock and rebound effect- body notice lack of DHT by its receptors and start to produce more free T and even more 5ard enzymes (endless loop - this makes no logic to me, but its possible). So if you suddenly ingest high doses of finasteride in organism such as 5 mg, you put endocrine system in some kind of alert state - body naturally resists to changes.

It's more preferred to start with small doses then body gradually adjust to new condition - some hair loss veterans here suggest the same - to start with small doses and then gradually increase. Same with quiting finasteride, not cold turkey but taper off.

Except shock and rebound effect, pharmacokinetics and dynamics of drug play huge role. 1 mg dose or more neutralizes certain percent of 5ard,but I suppose it doesn't achieve its full potential because ofhalf-life time, after which finasteride become degraded. That's common effect in all medical drugs. It takes a while for active drug ingredients and molecules to spread within whole body (intra and extra cellular tissue). So, 0.25 mg works the same way but in a slower rate.

Fermat

Reaction score
no.
Naturally lowering dht and chemically destroying dht are 2 completely different things.

Anyhow, Im hopeful that in the coming years we will all finally see that DHT isnt the problem.
So you're saying that finasteride 'chemically destroys' DHT?... And how does it do that? Does it go round your body chopping up all the DHT molecules? :doh:

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
So you're saying that finasteride 'chemically destroys' DHT?... And how does it do that? Does it go round your body chopping up all the DHT molecules? :doh:

No kidding. This is exactly why it's so easy to sell "natural" treatments to people.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finasteride does not chemically destroy DHT. It binds to 5 alpha reductase (5ar) which converts T to DHT. By occupying 5ar, T can no longer dock on 5ar and is thus no longer converted to DHT.

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
This website just loves to knock propecia no matter what they do, i bet they get a slice of the profit from selling life extension suppliments.

Actually the site does reccomend propecia.

Although he certainly has a love affair with LEF products. Other companies products would also work, but I agree LEF as a rule, make the best products.

- - - Updated - - -

Another problem - he reccomends products on that site which contradict themselves.

For example, taking green tea extract and black tea extract, one raises DHT , the other lowers it

also saw palmetto taken with gingko biloba - can be dangerous blood thinners.

And no, drinking tea does not have the same effect. For example, resveratrol capsules are the equivalent to about 20 glasses of wine.
Just take capsules, be it black tea, or whatever.

ireland90

Reaction score
Not sure if i read something wrong here...but this can't be true. I drink about 15 cups of tea a day and I've been losing hair since i was about 19. Unless i have extremely aggressive hair loss and the tea is slowing it down considerably I really doubt it works.

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if i read something wrong here...but this can't be true. I drink about 15 cups of tea a day and I've been losing hair since i was about 19. Unless i have extremely aggressive hair loss and the tea is slowing it down considerably I really doubt it works.

These are tea extracts. Has nothing to do with drinking tea. You could never match the amount found in capsules.

Secondly, there is more to hair loss than simply dht, although that is obviously the main factor.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Well I mean yes there is more to male pattern baldness but it depends what your goals are. Castration stops male pattern baldness so in terms of prevention its DHT and T that make you go bald that is the answer for preventing it. Growing hair is a different ball game

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's 2014 and we're talking about fvcking black tea to treat hair loss in a thread started 5 fvcking years ago.

My god, this is pathetic on behalf of hair loss researchers.

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
It's 2014 and we're talking about fvcking black tea to treat hair loss in a thread started 5 fvcking years ago.

My god, this is pathetic on behalf of hair loss researchers.

black tea extracts. it's different

it at least warrants some more research at least

And i disagree with your thought pattern. People have been discussing things like pumpkin oil, aloe vera, herbs etc for a decade or so.

We never just "stop talking" about something.

RK85

My Regimen
Reaction score
Or take one capsule with the equivalent to 100 cups...or 2 capsules to account for absorption...

Could you give ma a link to the black tea extract pill with the equivalent to 100 cups of black tea?

I have find only the black tea extracts which contain 87.5 mg of theaflavins:
http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Theaflavin-Standardized-Extract-30-Veggie-Caps/10451?at=0
http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/Item01304/Theaflavins-Standardized-Extract.html

This is equivalent to about 5 cups of black tea. Do we really need 100 cups of black tea (or 20 black tea extract) daily?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I never stopped stop caring.

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol, i completely agree with you.

I disagree.

We should always discuss options and alternatives.

never shut the book on anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Final thoughts - if you only cared about hair loss, no , I don't reccomend black tea extract for it at all.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
if you only cared about hair loss, no , I don't reccomend black tea extract for it at all.

Considering this is a hairloss website then yes, it is our primary concern. Your basically admitting that black tea extract does little to nothing for one's hair….so why then should it not be disregarded as a hairloss solution?

Book shut.

RK85

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is true that ONE black tea extract daily does little for one's hair, but I've decided to drink a 13-14 cups of black tea and 5 black tea extract daily. This should give 1/3 power of Propecia (at least I hope so). Not so bad :)