Male pattern baldness and hair becoming curly

Yespar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick timeline:

9 months ago: first noticed hairline was receding
7 months ago: started using minoxidil (topical 5%, 2x/d)
4.5 months ago: started taking finasteride (oral, 1mg/d), vitamins and using nizoral (1-2x/w)

I've been noticing some changes in my hair:

Change in color (getting darker) since I started using minoxidil
Hair feeling more dry in the past few months, probably due to nizoral
Hair becoming curly in the past few months (used to be straight)

That last one, becoming curly, is probably the most significant change. On the sides and back of my head it's still mostly straight, but on the top and especially at the front it's getting really curly. Could this be a sign that baldness is coming?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Curliness is generally a good thing. What you want to watch out for is wispiness

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s not a good sign. My hair was wavy and black now ‘curly’ aka whispy and dead as f***.

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick timeline:

9 months ago: first noticed hairline was receding
7 months ago: started using minoxidil (topical 5%, 2x/d)
4.5 months ago: started taking finasteride (oral, 1mg/d), vitamins and using nizoral (1-2x/w)

I've been noticing some changes in my hair:

Change in color (getting darker) since I started using minoxidil
Hair feeling more dry in the past few months, probably due to nizoral
Hair becoming curly in the past few months (used to be straight)

That last one, becoming curly, is probably the most significant change. On the sides and back of my head it's still mostly straight, but on the top and especially at the front it's getting really curly. Could this be a sign that baldness is coming?
Yes hair got curly and harder to style

Yespar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes hair got curly and harder to style
Was this a prelude to the hair falling out for you? I'm a little worried because I'm getting curly hair in areas that aren't balding yet. Wondering if it's a sign of what's to come.

From googling around a little it seems that this happens as a result of hormonal changes, making the follicles go from round to flat. Just not sure if it's the hormonal changes that cause baldness (a bad sign) or the changes from taking finasteride (not necessarily a bad sign, maybe even a good one).

If I had to guess I'd say it's the androgens. Maybe in some people the follicles change shape as they shrink. :/

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was this a prelude to the hair falling out for you? I'm a little worried because I'm getting curly hair in areas that aren't balding yet. Wondering if it's a sign of what's to come.

From googling around a little it seems that this happens as a result of hormonal changes, making the follicles go from round to flat. Just not sure if it's the hormonal changes that cause baldness (a bad sign) or the changes from taking finasteride (not necessarily a bad sign, maybe even a good one).

If I had to guess I'd say it's the androgens. Maybe in some people the follicles change shape as they shrink. :/
Hair was always wavy, I am 54 and now more hair is curly

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
This shows male pattern baldness

Attachments

• 2FB1388D-2A67-4623-8532-33710627A91D.jpeg
    2FB1388D-2A67-4623-8532-33710627A91D.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 200