Low Dose Oral minoxidil Study For Male Pattern Baldness

jumpingjackgazz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on 20 mg loniten daily now for 3 months. I started as a Norwood 5 and am a diffuse baby hair nw2 now. lets see brah
also finally i grow a beard and my eyebrows got thiccer

Do you have before/After pics dude to share the start of your success ?
That would be great to check that with you !

Ljames

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on oral min for like 3 weeks ish and my hair is looking the worse it ever has. But I'm crossing my fingers this is a shed as I did shed quite badly when I started topical.

Praying the regrowth gods smile upon me

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on oral min for like 3 weeks ish and my hair is looking the worse it ever has. But I'm crossing my fingers this is a shed as I did shed quite badly when I started topical.

:):):)

S14a

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
50mg loniten every day?

He still did not get side effects?
He used to get swollen ankles from what I remember and black marks under eyes but was a good looking kid so he didnt mind, plus looked like he had no hair loss due to all his meds. Blood pressure was normal.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score

Bro, I was taking a shower yesterday and I swear I had like 350 hairs, left a huge clump in the shower. Freaked me out. I never had a shed this intense and I'm hoping the same thing. We gotta stick out for at least 6 months. So keep consistent.

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wilfred.
You say you had good growth with oral MX.
do you drink alot of alcohol, coffee, fruit juice, take any supplements?
Reason i ask ive been experimenting with expressing and inhibiting sult1a1. There are more sult1a1 enzymes in the liver that convert MX to MXS. Minoxidil sulfate is the compound that makes the hair grow. Without sult1a1 gene minoxidil is zero effective
Not much fruit, 2 coffees a day and about 10 beer a week.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started with .25mg years ago because I was so freaked out about sides. Had no impact, no sides after 3 months.

Upped to 2.5mg, no impact or sides after 3 months.

Upped to 5mg, very slight bump in hair, but not cosmetically significant, no sides after 6 months.

Upped to 10mg, slight bump in hair, but again, not cosmetically significant, still relying on concealers. No sides after 10 months.

I'm considering bumping to 10mg twice daily for 20mg / day, but honestly at this point I'm going to have a hard time telling if it is helping more than 10mg once a day. I'm on a heavy supplement regimen and microneedling and seeing more sucess in my first 3 months than anything I've tried in the past over a longer duration.

When I say no sides I mean outside of the expected. My blood pressure went from 145-160/100 with a 65-80 heart rate to 130-140/80 with a 80-95 heart rate. It didn't start to impact my heart rate and blood pressure until I upped to 10mg. I'm only considering 20mg because I'm still at pre-hypertension levels. My only concern is my heart rate raising more.

I upped because I was prescribed a blood pressure medication for my stage 2 hypertension and figured I'd rather just up my dosage from the stuff I'm getting from India rather than taking my prescribed medication since my prescribed medication wasn't going to help with my hair.

I'm also a diffuse thinner with a really good hair line and look very close to Norwood 0 with blow drying (on low and cold shot), dermmatch, and a few shakes of caboki. I've had a guy with diffuse thinning only a little worse than mine mention his hair issues and I said "I feel your pain" and he gave me the "go f*** yourself" look. If you are a diffuse thinner get some dermmatch and caboki, it is possible to live a life without being self conscious. The way I apply I can comb my hair or run my hands through my hair without issues. Been at a concert with an unexpected downpour, no issues (dermmatch looks iffy after it redries, but fine while still wet)

If you go with oral minoxidil don't be stupid, MONITOR YOUR HEART RATE AND BLOOD PRESSURE.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding or no shedding with oral min?

I got pretty heavy shedding, my hands were covered in hairs when shampooing, don't ask me how long it lasted i can't remember lol Plus i got another shed about 7 months in.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started with .25mg years ago because I was so freaked out about sides. Had no impact, no sides after 3 months.

Upped to 2.5mg, no impact or sides after 3 months.

Upped to 5mg, very slight bump in hair, but not cosmetically significant, no sides after 6 months.

Upped to 10mg, slight bump in hair, but again, not cosmetically significant, still relying on concealers. No sides after 10 months.

I'm considering bumping to 10mg twice daily for 20mg / day, but honestly at this point I'm going to have a hard time telling if it is helping more than 10mg once a day. I'm on a heavy supplement regimen and microneedling and seeing more sucess in my first 3 months than anything I've tried in the past over a longer duration.

When I say no sides I mean outside of the expected. My blood pressure went from 145-160/100 with a 65-80 heart rate to 130-140/80 with a 80-95 heart rate. It didn't start to impact my heart rate and blood pressure until I upped to 10mg. I'm only considering 20mg because I'm still at pre-hypertension levels. My only concern is my heart rate raising more.

I upped because I was prescribed a blood pressure medication for my stage 2 hypertension and figured I'd rather just up my dosage from the stuff I'm getting from India rather than taking my prescribed medication since my prescribed medication wasn't going to help with my hair.

I'm also a diffuse thinner with a really good hair line and look very close to Norwood 0 with blow drying (on low and cold shot), dermmatch, and a few shakes of caboki. I've had a guy with diffuse thinning only a little worse than mine mention his hair issues and I said "I feel your pain" and he gave me the "go f*** yourself" look. If you are a diffuse thinner get some dermmatch and caboki, it is possible to live a life without being self conscious. The way I apply I can comb my hair or run my hands through my hair without issues. Been at a concert with an unexpected downpour, no issues (dermmatch looks iffy after it redries, but fine while still wet)

If you go with oral minoxidil don't be stupid, MONITOR YOUR HEART RATE AND BLOOD PRESSURE.
You have BDD

Nsas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those who are taking minoxidil orally, is taking minoxidil liquid orally safe? And is the minoxidil liquid just as effective as minoxidil tablets?

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also taking oral min. Using a microliter syringe I drink 0.1ml from the normal solution. Not sure if it has the same effectiveness (if at all) but I can't find any loniten tablets here.
I’ve done this for nearly 3 months now. Have you noticed any improvement yet?

I’m growing hair everywhere else, but my head atm. Had to lower my dosage from .24-.4 ML 2x a day to 3 drops 2x a day due to sides & I was just using way too much.

sktboiboi

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve done this for nearly 3 months now. Have you noticed any improvement yet?

I’m growing hair everywhere else, but my head atm. Had to lower my dosage from .24-.4 ML 2x a day to 3 drops 2x a day due to sides & I was just using way too much.
yes, and u will only grow hair everywhere, but your head. your eyebrows will get bushier,. U will nned a reset button( 1 single intense wounding session) on your scalp to break all the perifollicular fibrosis on slick bald areas b4 any regrow is possible.

if u look at the photo of that dude, that guy atually still has alot of hair even though hes balding- that shows his arector pili muscles r probably still rather existant. If u're bald for a long time, no hair will sprout from your head.

i can tell u the sides that u're liekly to be experiencing now.

Edema(round face)
heavy dark eye circles
halitosis from the increased liver enzymes(ask a close aquintance to smell your breath)

oral minoxidil has been tried b4 YEARS ago here

Last edited:

sktboiboi

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Destruction of the arrector pili muscle and fat infiltration in androgenic alopecia.
Torkamani N1, Rufaut Norwood, Jones L, Sinclair R.
Author information
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Melbourne, Carlton, Vic., Australia; Department of Dermatology, 185-187 Hoddle Street, level one, Epworth Health Dermatology Laboratory, Richmond, Vic., 3121, Australia.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Androgenic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common hair loss condition in men and women. Hair loss is caused by follicle miniaturization, which is largely irreversible beyond a certain degree of follicular regression. In contrast, hair loss in telogen effluvium (Telogen Effluvium) is readily reversible. The arrector pili muscle (APM) connects the follicle to the surrounding skin.

OBJECTIVES:
To compare histopathological features of the APM in Androgenetic Alopecia and Telogen Effluvium.

METHODS:
Archival blocks of 4-mm scalp punch biopsies from eight patients with Androgenetic Alopecia and five with Telogen Effluvium were obtained. New 4-mm biopsies from five normal cases were used as controls. Serial 7-μm sections were stained with a modified Masson's trichrome stain. 'Reconstruct' software was used to construct and evaluate three-dimensional images of the follicle and APM.

RESULTS:
The APM degenerated and was replaced by adipose tissue in all Androgenetic Alopecia specimens. Remnants of the APM remained attached to the hair follicle. There was no fat in the normal skin specimens. Fat was seen in two of five Telogen Effluvium specimens but could be attributed to these patients also showing evidence of Androgenetic Alopecia. Quantitative analysis showed that muscle volume decreased and fat volume increased significantly (P < 0·05) in Androgenetic Alopecia compared with controls.

CONCLUSIONS:
APM degeneration and replacement with fat in Androgenetic Alopecia has not previously been described. The underlying mechanism remains to be determined. However, we speculate that this phenomenon might be related to depletion of stem or progenitor cells from the follicle mesenchyme, explaining why Androgenetic Alopecia is treatment resistant.

© 2014 British Association of Dermatologists.

PMID:

DOI:

10.1111/bjd.12921
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

ZaR0ixe.jpg

the arector pili muscle gets replaced by fatty tissue from the sebaceous gland next door in Androgenetic Alopecia scalp, progressively. SO u need to do a deep wounding session to break up that fatty tissue.

hair growth-inhibitory factors, likely 15PGJ2 which binds to PPAR gamma(ups anti-flammation) and CRTH2(ups itch), secreted by Malassezia fungi as a byproduct living at the outer root shealth of the hair follicle- causes this phenomenon.

So the more malassezia fungi u have on the balding scalp, the more ppar gamma gets activated, because ppar gamma is the master regulator for lipogenesis(increases sebum and fat production) and malassezia thrive at sebum-rich skin tissue

im atually of the opinion that the increased 5 alpha redutase in the balding scalp is atually caused by secereted factors from malasseziai/propiones acnes in the balding scalp- likely oleic acid(found in olive oil)

Abstract
Application of new molecular and biochemical tools has greatly increased our understanding of the organisms, mechanisms, and treatments of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. Dandruff results from at least three etiologic factors: Malassezia fungi, sebaceous secretions, and individual sensitivity. While Malassezia (formerly P. ovale) has long been a suspected cause, implicated by its presence on skin and lipophylic nature, lack of correlation between Malassezia number and the presence and severity of dandruff has remained perplexing. We have previously identified the Malassezia species correlating to dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. In this report, we show that dandruff is mediated by Malassezia metabolites, specifically irritating free fatty acids released from sebaceous triglycerides. Investigation of the toxic Malassezia free fatty acid metabolites (represented by oleic acid) reveals the component of individual susceptibility. Malassezia metabolism results in increased levels of scalp free fatty acids. Of the three etiologic factors implicated in dandruff, Malassezia, sebaceous triglycerides, and individual susceptibility, Malassezia are the easiest to control. Pyrithione zinc kills Malassezia and all other fungi, and is highly effective against the Malassezia species actually found on scalp. Reduction in fungi reduces free fatty acids, thereby reducing scalp flaking and itch.

Last edited:

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Destruction of the arrector pili muscle and fat infiltration in androgenic alopecia.
Torkamani N1, Rufaut Norwood, Jones L, Sinclair R.
Author information
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Melbourne, Carlton, Vic., Australia; Department of Dermatology, 185-187 Hoddle Street, level one, Epworth Health Dermatology Laboratory, Richmond, Vic., 3121, Australia.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Androgenic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is the most common hair loss condition in men and women. Hair loss is caused by follicle miniaturization, which is largely irreversible beyond a certain degree of follicular regression. In contrast, hair loss in telogen effluvium (Telogen Effluvium) is readily reversible. The arrector pili muscle (APM) connects the follicle to the surrounding skin.

OBJECTIVES:
To compare histopathological features of the APM in Androgenetic Alopecia and Telogen Effluvium.

METHODS:
Archival blocks of 4-mm scalp punch biopsies from eight patients with Androgenetic Alopecia and five with Telogen Effluvium were obtained. New 4-mm biopsies from five normal cases were used as controls. Serial 7-μm sections were stained with a modified Masson's trichrome stain. 'Reconstruct' software was used to construct and evaluate three-dimensional images of the follicle and APM.

RESULTS:
The APM degenerated and was replaced by adipose tissue in all Androgenetic Alopecia specimens. Remnants of the APM remained attached to the hair follicle. There was no fat in the normal skin specimens. Fat was seen in two of five Telogen Effluvium specimens but could be attributed to these patients also showing evidence of Androgenetic Alopecia. Quantitative analysis showed that muscle volume decreased and fat volume increased significantly (P < 0·05) in Androgenetic Alopecia compared with controls.

CONCLUSIONS:
APM degeneration and replacement with fat in Androgenetic Alopecia has not previously been described. The underlying mechanism remains to be determined. However, we speculate that this phenomenon might be related to depletion of stem or progenitor cells from the follicle mesenchyme, explaining why Androgenetic Alopecia is treatment resistant.

© 2014 British Association of Dermatologists.

PMID:

DOI:

10.1111/bjd.12921
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

View attachment 129571

the arector pili muscle gets replaced by fatty tissue from the sebaceous gland next door in Androgenetic Alopecia scalp, progressively. SO u need to do a deep wounding session to break up that fatty tissue.

hair growth-inhibitory factors, likely 15PGJ2 which binds to PPAR gamma(ups anti-flammation) and CRTH2(ups itch), secreted by Malassezia fungi as a byproduct living at the outer root shealth of the hair follicle- causes this phenomenon.

So the more malassezia fungi u have on the balding scalp, the more ppar gamma gets activated, because ppar gamma is the master regulator for lipogenesis(increases sebum and fat production) and malassezia thrive at sebum-rich skin tissue

im atually of the opinion that the increased 5 alpha redutase in the balding scalp is atually caused by secereted factors from malasseziai/propiones acnes in the balding scalp- likely oleic acid(found in olive oil)

Abstract
Application of new molecular and biochemical tools has greatly increased our understanding of the organisms, mechanisms, and treatments of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. Dandruff results from at least three etiologic factors: Malassezia fungi, sebaceous secretions, and individual sensitivity. While Malassezia (formerly P. ovale) has long been a suspected cause, implicated by its presence on skin and lipophylic nature, lack of correlation between Malassezia number and the presence and severity of dandruff has remained perplexing. We have previously identified the Malassezia species correlating to dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. In this report, we show that dandruff is mediated by Malassezia metabolites, specifically irritating free fatty acids released from sebaceous triglycerides. Investigation of the toxic Malassezia free fatty acid metabolites (represented by oleic acid) reveals the component of individual susceptibility. Malassezia metabolism results in increased levels of scalp free fatty acids. Of the three etiologic factors implicated in dandruff, Malassezia, sebaceous triglycerides, and individual susceptibility, Malassezia are the easiest to control. Pyrithione zinc kills Malassezia and all other fungi, and is highly effective against the Malassezia species actually found on scalp. Reduction in fungi reduces free fatty acids, thereby reducing scalp flaking and itch.

10 out of 10 post.FOR SURE....but I'm not sure why it would be in the oral minoxidil thread?

Please post this in a new thread as it is an outstanding post and shouldn't be hidden in an unrelated thread.
I have some info to add to it....

Last edited:

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes, and u will only grow hair everywhere, but your head. your eyebrows will get bushier,. U will nned a reset button( 1 single intense wounding session) on your scalp to break all the perifollicular fibrosis on slick bald areas b4 any regrow is possible.

if u look at the photo of that dude, that guy atually still has alot of hair even though hes balding- that shows his arector pili muscles r probably still rather existant. If u're bald for a long time, no hair will sprout from your head.

i can tell u the sides that u're liekly to be experiencing now.

Edema(round face)
heavy dark eye circles
halitosis from the increased liver enzymes(ask a close aquintance to smell your breath)

oral minoxidil has been tried b4 YEARS ago here

Edema, maybe a bit. Lost a lot of water weight after I stopped it for 3 days and lowered dosage. Able to lose weight now 2.

Heavy eye circles, looks the same compared to before pics.
Maybe a bit darker, but definitely not heavy.

Edema- I brush my teeth