Love Handles

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'm in great shape at the moment, but there's one area that really bothers me: the love handles.

I have a pinch or two of fat there that bulges a bit outside of the belt. It just doesn't fit the look when I have an eight-pack a few inches away.

How can I burn these love handles off? Is there any exercise I can do?

I run LOTS-- between an hour to two hours a day, if I have time.

CCS, anybody?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
http://www.flat-stomach-exercises.com/love-handles.html

Wow, 1 to 2 hours per day? Are you training for a marathon or anything? That's a lot of running.

Thanks EasyEd!

This is wonderful. 3 easy exercises to go with my usual routine.

No, not training for a marathon, but I might sign up for the New York Marathon. Why not? I already run 10-14+ miles a day. It's a big stress reliever, and it's my one addiction (besides coffee!). Hehe, thanks again, EasyEd.

Any other advice welcome from the forum!

metalheaddude

Reaction score
You have to be careful if you plan to use resistance training for your obliques, because they can build in muscle mass very quickly, making your waist look really thick, which is not really desirable. Men want broad shoulders and a thin waist line. Smart bodybuilders do not work the obliques (love handles) instead they diet down until the fat eventually comes off. Just do more low intensity cardio early in the morning before breakfast, like brisk walking. Just get your heart rate up. It will come off with persistance.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Thanks metalheaddude,

I don't do resistance training because I don't own a weight set, and I recently cancelled my gym membership.

Pushups, situps, leg crunches, ab flexes-- hundreds of these a day, yet they still don't come off. Slowly, they may have tightened a little bit, but it's just a pinch or two.

I'm a vegetarian, too, so I barely get enough calories.

Maybe I just have bad genetics? Or, I need to do more exercises... or maybe I just need to keep doing what I'm doing, and maybe in a few months they'll get smaller.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe being a veggie youre metabolism isnt as high as it could be, im just assuming that your not getting enough protein in your diet so thats why i say that ..

J. Alfred Prufrock

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
you cant SPOT REDUCE FAT...one of the BIGGEST MYTHS in bodybuilding...it will never die.

HTGT is dead on right here.

You can't spot reduce fat. Doing sit ups will not target the fat above your abdominal muscles.

And like one poster mentioned earlier, doing oblique exercises can actually increase the size of the muscle below the tissue in that area, and be counter-productive to your goals of a slimming waste line.

Basically, you need to lower overall body fat, and eventually your love handles will go away.

Low intensity cardio, IMO, is a "decent" way to burn fat. However in my experience, 30-45 minutes of high intensity cardio is the best way to burn fat.

I'll run 10X100 meter sprints with 45 second rests in between, then do steps.

(I was once a portly 230 lbs 4 years ago, and now I'm 170)

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
J. Alfred Prufrock said:
[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":3bg6rukv]you cant SPOT REDUCE FAT...one of the BIGGEST MYTHS in bodybuilding...it will never die.

HTGT is dead on right here.

You can't spot reduce fat. Doing sit ups will not target the fat above your abdominal muscles.

And like one poster mentioned earlier, doing oblique exercises can actually increase the size of the muscle below the tissue in that area, and be counter-productive to your goals of a slimming waste line.

Basically, you need to lower overall body fat, and eventually your love handles will go away.

Low intensity cardio, IMO, is a "decent" way to burn fat. However in my experience, 30-45 minutes of high intensity cardio is the best way to burn fat.

I'll run 10X100 meter sprints with 45 second rests in between, then do steps.

(I was once a portly 230 lbs 4 years ago, and now I'm 170)[/quote:3bg6rukv]

Smart man... :agree:

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Ever heard of the saying a six pack is made in the kitchen not the gym.

A caloric deficit + higher metabolism and a higher protein diet will work.

And as mentioned any form of high intensity interval training, as long as you cycle near max to mid high heart rate continously your metabolic rate will be much higher than normal even AFTER working out.

Important: Eat frequently, don't let your metabolism slow down, but keep to your caloric intake, also, train your other muscles as well, more muscle = higher metabolism.

Drinking green/oolong tea with a meal is supposed to increase the metabolic rate. I read a study in Japan that recorded a 4% increase. If you like green tea it wouldn't hurt to use it and see if it works for you. Also, plenty water and less salt (salt retains fat and dehydrates you, the more dehydrated you are the less your metabolism is at it's peak, although I assume you drink enough water considering how much u run)

Without monitoring calories you'd be working blind. Start with about 1700 a day, and measure ur love handles bi-monthly, decrease/increase calories to control progress. I'm assuming your average needing 2300-2400ish calories. :freak:

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Being a vegetarian believe me does not mean you don't get enough calories. Lean meats are one of the most efficient foods there is. A chicken skinless breast is about 180cals and with 40g of protein, it's an excellent bit of nutrition. Meat tends to get a bad name because of how it's prepared (ie. skin, fried). But if you want protein without resorting to meat then I assume you have eggs? If so have about 10 whites with 1-2 yolks, or research some high-protein beans, milk is good too, even full fat is 97% fat free it's really not bad, 1 cup is about 8grams of protein. Also if you like Tofu, have it with Miso soup, low calorie and high protein.

A lot of vegetarians are fat, cheesy pastas and pizzas etc, creamy foods, and sugar are non-meat products with a high calorie/lower nutritional value than meat.

Basically all you want to do is, burn fat:retain muscle, the best way to do that is high protein, resistance training combined with high intensity cardio and a caloric deficit. And make sure you take a multivit and a fish oil cap, although never replace food with a multivit, there are many things in fruit and veg we dont know about that aid with vitamin/mineral absoprtion.

recognition2

Established Member
Reaction score
Easy steps to get a six pack :

-Wrap your belly with plastic.

-Run 30 minutes(at about 30 your body starts to burn fat).

-Stop running and start doing 10 minutes of Abs.(you can vary the abs you do, the important thing is to feel your belly getting hotter because of the rubbing with the plastic)

-Do that twice a week(try not to do it after a work out where you used your abs a lot, you need to let them rest from heavy training)

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
recognition2 said:

-Stop running and start doing 10 minutes of Abs.(you can vary the abs you do, the important thing is to feel your belly getting hotter because of the rubbing with the plastic)

-Do that twice a week(try not to do it after a work out where you used your abs a lot, you need to let them rest from heavy training)

how bout you put a gun to head for that retarded post.

recognition2

Established Member
Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow

U would be surprised how many people go running with a plastic wrap.

And I'm not offended by your anger because I know that we may have different opinions.

But although, I think you should question yourself about why you chosed this pessimistic nickname.
Are you being pessimistic about your hairloss? Does being pessimistic bring you more stress and may have an influence on your hairloss? Does your nickname give a positive content to people who join this board hoping to get results?
Is it good Karma?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
recognition2 said:
hair today gone tomorrow

U would be surprised how many people go running with a plastic wrap.

And I'm not offended by your anger because I know that we may have different opinions.

But although, I think you should question yourself about why you chosed this pessimistic nickname.
Are you being pessimistic about your hairloss? Does being pessimistic bring you more stress and may have an influence on your hairloss? Does your nickname give a positive content to people who join this board hoping to get results?
Is it good Karma?

dr. phil,

just cuz ppl do it, doesnt make it right....it is plain dumb.
I made me name awhile ago....and no im not pessimistic but I know that despite my measures I will eventually be bald. That being said I bet i have more hair than 90% of the posters here. Ive been on propecia for almost 2 years with good results, hope it works for you like it has for me.

have fun running around with plastic wrapped around your body.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree about the concept of layering your body with numerous layers of clothing but wrapping plastic wrap around your belly is way going beyond, I'm not saying that it doesn't increase body temperature and will make you sweat more but all you have to wear several layers of sweatshirts when you run or weightlifting and it will work wonders. I ran 3 miles a day for 5 days a week including weightlifting and with a proper diet, within 3 months my bodyfat percentage went from 12% to 5%.

bubka

Reaction score
recognition2 said:

I do the same thing with my penis, amazing results :jackit:

I suggest one of these vibrating exercise belts for the love handles, you would be surprised how many people have them
vibrating-belt.jpg

G

Aplunk1 said:
I'm in great shape at the moment, but there's one area that really bothers me: the love handles.

I have a pinch or two of fat there that bulges a bit outside of the belt. It just doesn't fit the look when I have an eight-pack a few inches away.

CCS, anybody?
Do you use minoxidil? I am also in great shape.I am a personal trainer.I used to have love handles aswell,Even though i have very little body fat,It was very confusing.I stoped using minoxidil because of facial swelling and not even three days after stopping minoxidil i noticed my love handles had completely disapeared.All along it was fluid retention.I will never use minoxidil again.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Davidoff said:
Aplunk1 said:

CCS, anybody?
Do you use minoxidil? I am also in great shape.I am a personal trainer.I used to have love handles aswell,Even though i have very little body fat,It was very confusing.I stoped using minoxidil because of facial swelling and not even three days after stopping minoxidil i noticed my love handles had completely disapeared.All along it was fluid retention.I will never use minoxidil again.

lmao!